Save Our Games

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Graham
Super Moderator

Save Our Games

Postby Graham » 07 Sep 2009, 21:51

Huge thanks to Yahtzee for doing the narration, it really made the video!
And additional huge thanks to Bradley Rains for the music, which set the whole mood.

Sorry for the delay.

Woot!
Jess-trel

Re: Save Our Games

Postby Jess-trel » 07 Sep 2009, 21:57

Nicely done!
It's a mummy dragon?
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 07 Sep 2009, 22:02

CROSSOVER!!!

Also, very nice. Yahtzee's narration really fits the nature documentary vibe.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 07 Sep 2009, 22:03

That was the greatest last half second of a video ever. I'd just been nodding along through the video "Yes, this is a familiar, calming voice. I shall not question it."
Then BAM you have a whole new appreciation for the entire thing, like finding out the ending to Fight Club.

Oh, and the rest was good too, i guess.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 07 Sep 2009, 22:09

I'm surprised how little comments and views there are on this and such, seeing as it's been up for a few hours, and I just got around to watching it. Anywho, I practically came just looking at the credits, and seeing who was narrating it, and Yahtzee was indeed great.

Besides that, I quite liked it. My favorite bit was probably the graph, and the labels on the... which damn axis is again? Y? I think so. I liked how it started with ton, but then went to tonne as it got higher.
Patriot

Postby Patriot » 07 Sep 2009, 22:18

I like being able to watch lrr videos on Youtube because it allows me to guess the writer, and this was such a Jer video.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 07 Sep 2009, 22:18

I feel really bad, I thought that was Graham narrating for the ENTIRE thing. And I watch Zero Punctuation every week. That's probably the problem actually. Yahtzee sounds so weird when he's not talking fast.

I wonder what the runners challenge for this will be, if there is one.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
arch4non
First Video: 3 ps3's

Postby arch4non » 07 Sep 2009, 22:19

That was pretty silly. Who donated the goggles for Modern Warfare?

One thing which I felt was a little odd was using the knife to open the game case. It looked like you gutted the game and looked at its innards...then "released" it back into the wild.

Also, crossovers=awesome.
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 07 Sep 2009, 22:21

Hmm, seems my post I made about the video, before it was 'officially' released, is now gone. However, being the lazy b'tard I am, I won't go to the trouble of remembering it to the letter. It shall be sufficient to say that, I enjoyed it, wondered at the narrator's voice, then was plesantly surprised.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
artful dodger

Postby artful dodger » 07 Sep 2009, 22:32

Sweet video. I love the fact that you guys picked borderlands (even if you wrapped the box art around the side cause it's not out yet) cause it looks like that game is gonna be super sweet.

Oh yeah it's also nice to see that yahtzee is cool enough to come work on an LRR video. You guys have said he likes your stuff but showing is always better than saying.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 07 Sep 2009, 22:34

If you watch the Halo Wars episode of Zero Punctuation and the Star Ocean episode of Unskippable you can see them working together.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 07 Sep 2009, 22:45

Gordon Fearman wrote:I wonder what the runners challenge for this will be, if there is one.

Runners Challenge: Convince Yahtzee to narrate a video for you.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
White Flame

Postby White Flame » 07 Sep 2009, 22:47

I always avoid reading the credits before watching, just to keep any surprises intact, and it definitely paid off here. :)
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 07 Sep 2009, 22:48

Arius wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:I wonder what the runners challenge for this will be, if there is one.

Runners Challenge: Convince Yahtzee to narrate a video for you.

That would be hilarious, just imagine Yahtzee being flooded by emails from LRR fans to narrate videos for them.

DvelopmentalInsanity

Postby DvelopmentalInsanity » 07 Sep 2009, 22:49

White Flame wrote:I always avoid reading the credits before watching, just to keep any surprises intact, and it definitely paid off here. :)

Same here. I was watching, thinking "I know that voice, but it isn't one of the crew".
jtaylor
ASCII Ninja
First Video: Talk Like a Pirate

Postby jtaylor » 07 Sep 2009, 22:49

I hope this video becomes very popular. I like it.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 07 Sep 2009, 22:53

I am going to be pedantic for a moment: It is the University of California, Berkeley not the University of California at Berkeley.

Pretty awesome video. I liked the scale used for the number of releases.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 07 Sep 2009, 22:54

Lord Chrusher wrote:I am going to be pedantic for a moment: It is the University of California, Berkeley not the University of California at Berkeley.

Pretty awesome video. I liked the scale used for the number of releases.

I assumed that they did that intentionally. Man, I just keep feeling stupid.

masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 07 Sep 2009, 22:55

hilarium. awesome writing, jer.
Godzpunchingbag
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Godzpunchingbag » 07 Sep 2009, 22:56

I was wondering who was narrating that video, i was cycling through my head who on the crew sounds like that cause i knew it sounded so familiar. Then boom he said his name in the end credits. I then had the biggest holy shit moments i've had in a very very long time. Huge props to Yahtzee for narrating it, excellent video too. What was Yahtzee's take on the script?
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 07 Sep 2009, 22:58

I will start of with my usual disclaimer of "I am not a gamer" but I thought this was ridiculously well done. The whole atmosphere was perfect, the acting was spot on (Tally and Paul were amazing), the narration was just right and the writing was incredibly witty. The jokes were just really clever still accessible to non-gamers (thank you, because not all the videos are). The bit on populations and natural fluctuations was especially funny to me because I used to teach that to elementary kids.

Also, I have to say I never bothered to read that other thread about Yahtzee, because I couldn't understand why someone wanted the crew to do a crossover with an old dice game.

One last point (which might earn me some flack) but I have to say that seeing video games out in the forest just emphasizes how ridiculous they really are (in additional to so much of modern society).
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
concupiscentcrustacean
First Video: black box

Postby concupiscentcrustacean » 07 Sep 2009, 23:08

Very good you guys. i also try not to read the credits til after, so a bit of a surprise.

One question though.

Is there a reason for not having the opening LRR sequence before the video?
"I studied the ancient art of Origami gun making, and i've folded a pistol out of purest prose. This is an Origami 45. The most powerful poetry in the world."
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 07 Sep 2009, 23:12

My surprise of Yahtzee was partially ruined by the other thread, but I must say, when he isn't constantly berating games, Yahtzee sounds like a very cool guy. This video backed that up.

Also, I'll never figure out what a Jer video is, as in I could never guess. I can definitely guess a Paul video, but Jer always surprises me, and that's pretty cool.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 07 Sep 2009, 23:49

Thanks for all the praise, guys :). This video was one of those weird bolts of inspiration that came pretty well out of nowhere and only got better during production.

Please take the time to digg it if you could. There's a good chance (knock on wood) of this one getting bigger if given some inertia :).
watshisname08

Postby watshisname08 » 08 Sep 2009, 00:39

This video is a shining example of why Jer is statistically the best writer (I forgot where that thread is, but they did do a statistical analysis of LRR videos). The fact that Yahtzee did the narration was a HUGE hit from left field (I saw this on YouTube so I didn't really see the narration credits).

For the whole entire time I thought that it was Graham doing it in his British accent (which he must have perfected in 2-3 weeks, nice turn around) and then learn that it was Yahtzee was like having a stale loaf of bread thrown at me and then told that it was actually a scone, complete throw-off there. But anyway this was a great video and might just go down as one of my own personal favorites for Season 6.

concupiscentcrustacean wrote:Is there a reason for not having the opening LRR sequence before the video?

According to Graham's twitter feed he left the opening LRR sequence in Victoria...somehow he didn't have room for it in his luggage or something...

One final note, I think that Tally is doing an excellent job and has really come into her own. Writing for Hustle Ep.8, Magicland, and her acting skills are really great. In my opinion she'd make a great 9th member of the crew.

Anyway I'm rather interested to see what people have to say about the releases of games in the Forth Quarter/Holiday season and also the discussion of physical media vs direct download of video games. I know the Escapist did a whole issue on alternate methods of video game media.
A new start-up blog about life & gaming: http://midcorelife.tumblr.com/
And I succumbed to having a twitter: http://twitter.com/watshisname08

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”