Castle - (Nathan Fillion Squeeathon)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Castle - (Nathan Fillion Squeeathon)

Postby Machalllewis » 14 Oct 2009, 01:33

So yeah.

Now, as a card carrying nerd I love Firefly and by extension everything that Nathan Fillion does, says, and (if I can just get my Celebrity Mind Reader working) thinks about.

So, here comes Castle. A fairly basic, fairly nicely written, fairly well directed crime drama with a fair amount of comedy and romantic tension thrown in for good measure. If it hadn't starred NF then I wouldn't have given two shits, however it does, so I do.

Having recently been picked up and started into its second season its beginning to pick up a fair amount of speed now that the characters have been developed to a certain amout and they can get down to the interesting nitty-gritty of interactions between them all.

I could go on but I was just wondering if anyone else was watching this and what y'all think. I probably wouldn't have brought it up but there was a fairly subtle Firefly reference in the most recent one.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Re: Castle - (Nathan Fillion Squeeathon)

Postby Genghis Ares » 14 Oct 2009, 02:00

I've been watching it. I enjoy crime/cop shows to a certain degree. Castle is fun and the mysteries are good. Nathan Fillion is still great.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 14 Oct 2009, 02:18

I've offhandedly seen a few episodes of it when I've happened to see it on. I haven't REALLY watched it though. I will at some point, but there are things I need to catch up on more than this first.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 14 Oct 2009, 02:23

I link you to my friend's review of the show. He loves it, btw. I haven't seen it, but being without TV, I tend to not watch much in general. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, though.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 14 Oct 2009, 02:28

I love this show and look forward to the 42 minutes a week we have together.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Postby Shandi » 14 Oct 2009, 03:43

I also absolutely adore Castle. My fiancé watched it as a Firefly fan, showed it to me as we are both Dr Horrible fans, then he preordered the DVD set and I bought the whole first season on iTunes. I haven't started into the second season yet but I am greatly looking forward to it.
Have I mentioned I'm a writing student? I can relate to the character in more ways because of my experience and fascination with the writing process. I suspect the writers of the show throw a little of themselves into that and it comes across subtle and satisfying to a fellow writer. Then of course there's the action and glam of a crime drama, the clever comedy of the characters, great guest cameos, and the music score isn't half bad either. I particularly enjoy Castle's interactions with his daughter, Alexis. It's nice to see a good dad on TV. The show depicts normal, healthy relationships.
I'm also impressed by how well they've used Twitter as an extension of the series; running mysteries to stimulate followers throughout the summer, complete with pics. I wonder if the real life book, Heat Wave, credited to Richard Castle, is any good. Anyone know who really wrote it?
This is why I'm LOL!
-Shandi
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 14 Oct 2009, 05:16

Its yet to be revealed who the author was. Yeah I wonder if its any good too. And if there really is a sex scene on page 105 ...

Yeah I like how Alexis is more mature than Rick and they just get along with little angst. Also have you noticed how they kind of run the whole thing that when the NYPD are having trouble with a case its Rick's interactions with his family that occasionally help him crack it? It's like 'Thank Christ the 14 year olds about otherwise them cops would be fucked.'
Nothing to see here.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 14 Oct 2009, 06:03

That's kinda like how House only solves a case when something happens in his every day life. Think about how many people would die if House didn't have those once in a life time events happen so often.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 14 Oct 2009, 06:10

Yeah I was gonna mention that. It is becoming a bit of a trope aint it? It kinda throws out the whole concept of professionalism and knowledge really haha. Telly programs would have you believe its not about what you know but how quirky the people you hang out with are.

Still its a good show, I rather feel I'm getting off message there.
Nothing to see here.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Oct 2009, 07:44

I love that it's murder she wrote for a new generation.

Also, I adore it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Oct 2009, 07:47

Shandi wrote:I also absolutely adore Castle. My fiancé watched it as a Firefly fan, showed it to me as we are both Dr Horrible fans, then he preordered the DVD set and I bought the whole first season on iTunes. I haven't started into the second season yet but I am greatly looking forward to it.
Have I mentioned I'm a writing student? I can relate to the character in more ways because of my experience and fascination with the writing process. I suspect the writers of the show throw a little of themselves into that and it comes across subtle and satisfying to a fellow writer. Then of course there's the action and glam of a crime drama, the clever comedy of the characters, great guest cameos, and the music score isn't half bad either. I particularly enjoy Castle's interactions with his daughter, Alexis. It's nice to see a good dad on TV. The show depicts normal, healthy relationships.
I'm also impressed by how well they've used Twitter as an extension of the series; running mysteries to stimulate followers throughout the summer, complete with pics. I wonder if the real life book, Heat Wave, credited to Richard Castle, is any good. Anyone know who really wrote it?

I also love that they had Nathan Filion, in character as Richard Castle do a book signing for Heat Wave in New York last week.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Shandi
First Video: The Secret Life of Toast

Postby Shandi » 14 Oct 2009, 08:45

Now that must have been fun for Fillion.

This is why I'm LOL!

-Shandi
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Oct 2009, 09:13

I totally forgot to chime in (ha!) on the music - my favorite moment of season one is when castle is told to stay in the car, so he pretends to be in a car chase and is singing "action" music for himself, then the crook lands on the hood, and he ends up chasing him - with a fully scored vesion of the action theme castle was just humming playing overtop.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 14 Oct 2009, 09:15

Matt wrote:I love that it's murder she wrote for a new generation.

Also, I adore it.

-m

I always describe this show to friends as "that remake of Murder, She Wrote with Nathan Fillion playing the role of Jessica Fletcher."
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 14 Oct 2009, 11:08

I am a big fan of Castle, really enjoy the show and the humor in it is perfect for the type of show that it is.

Also, in other news, is it true Nathan Fillion is in line to play Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie?
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 14 Oct 2009, 11:30

He better be.

-m

I am not angry at you.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 14 Oct 2009, 11:36

That would be PIMP!

Also Castle rules and me and Ashley watch it religiously.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 14 Oct 2009, 11:55

I personally think he would fit into the role perfectly. I'd heard the rumour wasn't sure if it was true or not.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 14 Oct 2009, 15:14

I absolutely love this show! And not just because its the "Nathan Fillion show" but because the rest of the cast complements each other really well. I love the crazy grandmother and the sensible daughter. The two cop guys are great too and it seems like every character actually gets thought out and not passed over.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 14 Oct 2009, 17:53

I absolutely love Castle. Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic absolutely make the show, though. I mean, in general, the crimes are OK, but the show shines mainly because of the cast.

I hate to be the only gray cloud in this sky of glowing reviews, but honestly, sometimes I feel like the writing isn't stellar. But Nathan and Stana take what are sometimes really strange, really cheesy lines, awkward situations, and make them work.

I've never seen Murder She Wrote (I KNOW I KNOW I'M A HORRIBLE PERSON), but the show's premise is great, the actors are great, the characters are great (I love that he lives with his mother and his daughter, and their lives don't revolve around him)... it's just that sometimes, they say things that absolutely ring when Castle or Beckett say them, but in retrospect they sound really weird in my head.

But the 42 minutes I spend watching the show are an absolute joy.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 14 Oct 2009, 22:26

*squeeeeeeeeeeeee*
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 16 Oct 2009, 00:21

RobertMc123 wrote:Also, in other news, is it true Nathan Fillion is in line to play Nathan Drake in the Uncharted movie?

That would be AWESOME! The more stuff that dude can get the better. Did you ever see Fillion as that evil priest on Buffy?

browncoat wrote:*squeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Indeed.
Nothing to see here.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 16 Oct 2009, 00:27

He was badass as the evil priest. If I remember correctly, he was the one that poked out Xander's eye.
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 16 Oct 2009, 01:13

Genghis Ares wrote:He was badass as the evil priest. If I remember correctly, he was the one that poked out Xander's eye.

Yup. Thats just how badass he was. NF plays a suprisingly awesome villain.
Nothing to see here.
Machalllewis

Postby Machalllewis » 30 Oct 2009, 11:39

N-N-N-N-Necroed!

Did anyone see the latest Castle? He dresses up as MAL!! Although he calls it a Space Cowboy. And then his daughter goes "Didn't you wear that like 5 years ago?"

How fan servicey can you get?
Nothing to see here.

Return to “General Discussion”