SWEARING!!!! a question

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
zfubarz

SWEARING!!!! a question

Postby zfubarz » 04 Nov 2009, 10:28

I'm just curious, this forum doesn't really impose any restrictions on that sort of stuff unless it's used to offend in any major way I assume (which I've never actually seen). Which I appreciate personally because sometimes a good swear word is helpful.

So with that in mind why do some of you users here still censor yourselves? More importantly why do it in ineffectual ways? If you wanna blank out a whole word, I get it, then at least it's left to the imagination. But just * ing one letter seems odd and pointless to me.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Re: SWEARING!!!! a question

Postby Theremin » 04 Nov 2009, 10:30

I just find that there are more inventive and flowery ways to express anger.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 04 Nov 2009, 10:31

I agree. If you just put random symbols instead of letters for the entire word, it at least leaves something to the imagination.

I just ate a #@!*%$ burrito.

what did I say? No one knows, particle man
Image Image Image
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 04 Nov 2009, 10:33

nah, if i'm gonna swear, i'll just swear, unless it's for a comedic effect. If i'm gonna bleep myself, why not just use another word?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 04 Nov 2009, 10:35

Example: I could say "Bastards!"

OR I could say "What a shower of shiteswilling slags."
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 04 Nov 2009, 10:43

I swear for emphasis.

Fuck is my italics.

I know, I can italicise my text, but that's too fucking boring.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 04 Nov 2009, 10:46

I always passively swear when I'm annoyed. If I'm insulting, swearing's easy mode. I'm a man of grace and skill. I can come up with loads of insults without having to swear once and even make them more offensive. Scotsman's trait.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
goat

Postby goat » 04 Nov 2009, 10:51

I like swearing. It may be crude or uncouth, but there's nothing quite like calling someone a "motherfucker".

I don't really believe in censoring language (or most things). Censorship doesn't really hide it, anyone with two firing brain cells can typically tell what was said.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 04 Nov 2009, 10:57

I swear a lot when I'm alone. If I'm injured, or really frustrated, or surprised, it's gonna get colourful. If I have an audience, not so much.

Hit thumb with hammer while alone: GAAAAAAH! Fuck! Shit! What the hell!!? Gaaaaah Ow! Goddammit!

Hit thumb with hammer when company present: GAAAAAAH! What the hell!!? Gaaaaah Ow!
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Nov 2009, 11:08

I don't censor myself except for comedic effect. Coming up with more inventive ways to swear is just fun (sometimes the best thing to do is just take it old-school. Shakespeare knew how to insult people).

The * thing is just a bad habit picked up from those ineffectual hedgehog-pooping, dick-disfiguring, more-righteous-than-though, I-bite-my-thumb-at-thee media censors.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 04 Nov 2009, 11:28

I censor myself in real life because I don't like using the curse. I'm usually quoting something though. I don't swear normally.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 04 Nov 2009, 11:54

Swearing is a form of emphasis: if you use it too often you'll have nothing to use when you really need to stress something.

I can't stand when people use synonyms for swear words either. Just rephrase the sentence and use some other form of emphasis, or use the word you intend to use; otherwise you just come off as lacking confidence.

As a personal thing, I find it much funnier when swears are used by more upper-class people: people who are naturally articulate enough to not have the need for swears as emphasis. If Stephen Fry drops an F-bomb, it's infinitely funnier than if, say, Billy Connelly does.

I never swear if I hurt myself: personally I prefer to say "AAAARRGH!". The numbers of A's and R's depend on how much it hurt. I just don't see the need to swear in that situation.
Last edited by Lawman on 04 Nov 2009, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Nov 2009, 11:54

START FUCKING SWAERING YOU CUM-GARGLING SHIT-SWILLERS.

(but don't say assclown, because it wordfilters to assclown)

-m

I am not angry at you.
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 04 Nov 2009, 11:57

I also use swearing for emphasis. I use alternative words when I don't feel like appearing angry. Example: I try to use "freaking fantastic" to denote something I like, while "fucking fantastic" is my sarcastic, angry way to denote displeasure. This isn't a hard rule for me, more like a guideline.

I don't generally censor myself, but if I do, it's usually like "f***", "c***", or "f***ing horse f***ers". If that's done, it's usually for comedic effect. "F-ing" (pronounced "effing") is something I'll use on occasion, too.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 04 Nov 2009, 12:00

What word filters to assclown? assclown?

Oh. Great. Now English people don't get to talk about cigarettes?

The American ruined smoking for us.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 04 Nov 2009, 12:05

Regional dialect versions of swearing.
"Ah, feck. Friggerdy frick fug fink"
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 04 Nov 2009, 12:16

Swearing is no fun, now Old-English insults...
Put that down you no good flap-dragon!
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Nov 2009, 12:21

I've made a concerted effort of late to avoid swearing in my posts, as well as in my life in general.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 04 Nov 2009, 12:22

I don't really censor myself. This is actually how I talk. The thing is, the videos themselves don't use swears (or many of them).
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 04 Nov 2009, 12:31

I don't say swears! Gosh.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 04 Nov 2009, 12:44

Dick gagging cunt muffinfucker.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 04 Nov 2009, 12:50

Lawman wrote:Swearing is a form of emphasis: if you use it too often you'll have nothing to use when you really need to stress something.

Amen.

I can't stand when people use synonyms for swear words either. Just rephrase the sentence and use some other form of emphasis, or use the word you intend to use; otherwise you just come off as lacking confidence.

Oh, sod off with your damn monopolistic stance on lingusitic style! ;)

As a personal thing, I find it much funnier when swears are used by more upper-class people: people who are naturally articulate enough to not have the need for swears as emphasis. If Stephen Fry drops an F-bomb, it's infinitely funnier than if, say, Billy Connelly does.

Kinda like this:

The fact that the profanity is unexpected from such a source is what MAKES it funny.

Another example is one I might've retold recently:

High school; a friend and I are walking toward the cafeteria during lunch. As we pass the teacher's lounge, my friend expresses his contempt for something - new school policy or something - and finishes off with "...is a load of shit."

"STOP THAT FUCKING SWEARING!" came a loud (but not shouted) voice behind us. We glanced back to see a chemistry and religion teacher (who's also ordained in the Salvation Army) grin as he stepped into the teacher's lounge.

I lost my shit, and had to sit against the wall from laughing so much at the total surprise from the situation. My profane friend wasn't at all offended by the humourous upbraiding he had received. And I imagine the teacher enjoyed himself. Win-win-win, I guess. :)

But, on the other hand, you know what Billy Connelly would say if he ever caught wind of what you said:

"What the FUCK is this fucking 'F-bomb' shit?" :mrgreen:

Myself? I'll delve into profanity for emphasis; not necessarily anger, things can be 'fucking great', or something may have me so miserable 'my heart feels like it's filled with shit'. And yeah, I'll censor myself when it adds a note of humour to things; sometimes expressing over-the-top, hyperbolic anger is more amusing as

"WHAT?!? How could you <expletive adverb deleted> do that to me, you <expletive noun deleted>? You <expletive adverb deleted> know need that <expletive noun deleted> to get my <expletive adjective deleted> project finished!"

Again, it's an issue of the unexpected - you EXPECT profanity from someone flipping out; indeed it must be 'pretty bad' if the person is being censored... ;)

Also,
Tim wrote:I don't say swears! Gosh.

Where did this 'swears' bullshit come from? "swears" is a present-tense verb. The term you're looking for are either "swearwords", or - my personal favourite - "profanity".

Learn it.
Know it.
Love it.

...motherfuckers.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 04 Nov 2009, 12:51

Best swear I saw recently was "twatblanket". I mean, what the what?
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 04 Nov 2009, 12:52

Don't swear in front of a lady! It's fucking rude!
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 04 Nov 2009, 12:54

empath wrote:Kinda like this:

Fantastic. :lol:
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much

Return to “General Discussion”