Yet another Desert Bus 3 Thread Moonbase Visitors!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Will YOU be at the Moonbase this Desert Bus?

Yes
14%
No
6%
I wish I was...
80%

Total votes: 99
D-Darsh
First Video: The Quantum Documentary

Re: Yet another Desert Bus 3 Thread Moonbase Visitors!

Postby D-Darsh » 18 Nov 2009, 02:40

Wait do you mean help out and make yourself useful to make things easier for them..IT'S GENNNIUSS why didn't I think of that :cry:
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 18 Nov 2009, 02:42

Arius wrote:Some people might pull a Tim.
Despite becoming part of LRR much later, through normal, helpful means, Tim was really respectful at DB07.

He showed up, gave us some cake, stuck around for a while, and left. It was nice.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 18 Nov 2009, 02:45

Exactly. Can't have that happening. As soon as you guys update the about page to add Tim, bam, Tim v2 joins the crew... Two years later.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
KlausVonNomnombitterson

Postby KlausVonNomnombitterson » 18 Nov 2009, 07:30

I will not becomming this year :(, however I will continue support through the live feed as Astralflame, silly thing wont let me change my nickname this year...LONG LIVE THE BUS! VIVA LA LRR! FOR THE CHILDREN!
King Rocky IV

Postby King Rocky IV » 18 Nov 2009, 08:29

One thing you might want to make perfectly clear beforehand: How much cake is too much?

I would come down just to see this game live (I was half convinced it was a hoax the first time around), but the ferry is too much of a hassle. You know, the moon ferry.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 18 Nov 2009, 09:21

King Rocky IV wrote:One thing you might want to make perfectly clear beforehand: How much cake is too much?

This is a foreign concept to me. Please elaborate.

In all seriousness, the only way there can be "too much cake" at Desert Bus is if it means there isn't enough other food. If we have six cakes and nothing else, we'll wish we had some pizza, veggie platters, and cheese scones. But if we have a good variety of stuff, then pile on the cake! If we don't eat it all, it'll keep until the Saturday after, and we'll eat more of it then! :)
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Nov 2009, 09:25

I agree. There's no such thing as too much cake, there is only a lack of propre balance to the force.

I am not angry at you.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 18 Nov 2009, 09:32

sdhonda wrote:Bummer.

Between this and some other stuff, may not be going then...

I hope you don't take Graham's post as a reason not to show up. We're genuinely happy to have lots of different people come hang out. Just trying to control the chaos a little.

If you picked a slightly less high-traffic time, like on a morning, for example, there wouldn't be any problems.

We're not going to be jerks about this, just trying to preempt a few issues we had last year.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
ninjanation
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby ninjanation » 18 Nov 2009, 09:52

if i didn't live... (looks at google maps).... 2,256 miles away i would totally drop by to say hi and then go hang out with some other people that showed up for db09

but instead i will hang out in the live feed.

cant wait to see you guys there

-jim
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Nov 2009, 10:05

How do we feel about pies, of the "pizza" and "apple" varieties?

I'm still debating whether or not to come over.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Nov 2009, 10:09

the degree to which pizza is welcome varies in direct proportion to the amount of meat and cheese that adorns it, and inversely with the number of vegetable toppings.

Personally, I'm not an apple pie person, but everyone else would enjoy it.

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 18 Nov 2009, 10:11

Incidentally, they would be homemade.

And my most common toppings are salami and olive, and ham and pineapple.
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 18 Nov 2009, 10:54

That's hardly incidental.

I think everyone would love sum pai.
Will-Mun
First Video: D-fer Madness.

Postby Will-Mun » 18 Nov 2009, 11:05

Well look at that, after years of following LRR I finally get off my lazy ass and register for the forums. And why did I finally register?

To say I won't be showing up!

Yeah seems pretty lame a reason to join the forums, but it's something I been meaning to do. I really wish I could show up, just hang out quietly in a corner like the antisocial misanthrope that I am, scurrying out the door after a few hours before anyone even really notices I'm there.

But alas... I live in the Eastern US, in Jersey. And I don't think my boss would appreciate me taking off on Friday to fly to Canada to hang with a bunch of people playing a video game and debasing themselves for charity.

That and I am very...very...poor.

Also Left 4 Dead 2 is out and I already took the weekend off for THAT... and I'm getting away from myself here.

But I will be watching the web cast. I never got a chance to watch it last year mainly cause I didn't pay enough attention to know what or where the hell it was.

So hello! I'm Will-Mun, and I've just wasted 40 seconds of your time in this faux introduction post.
"Dirty Joke Goes Here."
Tim
proudfoot

Postby Tim » 18 Nov 2009, 11:11

Welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy watching.
steelfox

Postby steelfox » 18 Nov 2009, 11:12

Welcome to the forums, I guess...?

So do we start planning group trips for next years Desert Bus now or do the internet laws dictate that the event has to at least begin first? I never know how things work in here...

*Notes Tim's method of LRR incorporation for his own future use.*
Matt wrote:AND IF SHE'S DEAD SHE CAN'T SAY NO.

-M
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 18 Nov 2009, 11:45

Tim wrote:
sdhonda wrote:Bummer.

Between this and some other stuff, may not be going then...

I hope you don't take Graham's post as a reason not to show up. We're genuinely happy to have lots of different people come hang out. Just trying to control the chaos a little.

If you picked a slightly less high-traffic time, like on a morning, for example, there wouldn't be any problems.

We're not going to be jerks about this, just trying to preempt a few issues we had last year.

I know, and totally understand, and saw this coming.

The plan is to bus down from up island on saturday, in the late afternoon, shop around a bit, and then stay overnight (awake) at the moonbase.

That at all in anyway possible?

EDIT: Also, pizza.
King Rocky IV

Postby King Rocky IV » 18 Nov 2009, 13:25

I would totally come down, but I live way out in Vancouver.

Hey, shut up. I came down for the LRR 5th Anniversary screening, and that was before the Canada Line, when it took three busses to get to Tsawwassen. I almost didn't make it on time because the VI bus system is weird (what's with those ripped paper bus tickets?). And then I barely made it back before the ferry stopped running altogether...

*gets smacked to shut him up*

Okay, so I'm lazy. Personally, I'm surprised that the address of the Moonbase is so widely available.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 18 Nov 2009, 13:28

King Rocky IV wrote:(what's with those ripped paper bus tickets?).

You mean "transfers"?

Vancouver used to have those too, you know, before translink took over on the mainland.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Schmiddy

Postby Schmiddy » 18 Nov 2009, 15:56

Matt wrote:the degree to which pizza is welcome varies in direct proportion to the amount of meat and cheese that adorns it, and inversely with the number of vegetable toppings.

How about the amount of spiciness involved in the pizza? Remember DB07 when I sent the "extra spicy" version of the 911 pizza from Ali Baba's? Good times.
--**--Heck is where people go who dont believe in Gosh--**--
tbug

Postby tbug » 18 Nov 2009, 17:03

Someone let me know if we're doing dinner on Friday. I expect the moonbase will be a zoo, but if people are in town it could be fun to hang out and so forth.
Dale
D-Darsh
First Video: The Quantum Documentary

Postby D-Darsh » 18 Nov 2009, 17:49

tbug wrote:Someone let me know if we're doing dinner on Friday. I expect the moonbase will be a zoo, but if people are in town it could be fun to hang out and so forth.

So far it's me and 1 friend and we don't know any places in Victoria so we should gather a LRR group for dinner anyone else down for Dinner on friday?
Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 18 Nov 2009, 18:22

For those who will be in town and may need something to do so they aren't all crowding the moonbase at one time, may I suggest a LRR-themed destination or two?

1) UVic - easy access by bus from most points in the city, look for David Strong and Clerihue Bldgs - several videos filmed there. Elliott Bldg 2nd floor lobby was where Brain Transplants Made Easy was filmed (the light up periodic table moves around and may be in the new chem bldg); this is also the astronomy bldg (white happy face observatory dome on top) where the Lord Chrusher/ENN footage was shot. Lots of other locations as well. Try not to trip over all the bunnies.

2) Oak Bay and environs - bus to the intersection of Fort St. and Foul Bay Rd. Note that Fort St. changes to Cadboro Bay Rd. Yo Video (from Commodore Hustle) is at this intersection. Walk up Cadboro Bay Rd, you will see Oak Bay High school (in many videos). Keep walking up Cadboro Bay Rd. to Bowker Ave. Triangular bldg at this intersection was backdrop for Street Value video. Walk down Bowker Ave. - away from water, apartment block (Bowker Manor) was seen briefly in CH video; towards water, you will hit Willows Beach (Bioshocked). Walk down the beach to see Willows Park (Now in HD!), at the end of the beach is Cattle Point and Uplands Park (CCYD, Loading Ready Rumble).

Lots of other video locations in both areas...so you can get a solid LRR experience without overcrowding the LRR crew!
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 18 Nov 2009, 19:11

Will-Mun wrote:So hello! I'm Will-Mun, and I've just wasted 40 seconds of your time in this faux introduction post.

40 seconds?! That took me at least a minute....
Also, welcome to the forums.
Also, throw a post up here
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 18 Nov 2009, 20:23

Chemistring wrote:For those who will be in town and may need something to do so they aren't all crowding the moonbase at one time, may I suggest a LRR-themed destination or two?

1) UVic - easy access by bus from most points in the city, look for David Strong and Clearihue Bldgs - several videos filmed there. Elliott Bldg 2nd floor lobby was where Brain Transplants Made Easy was filmed (the light up periodic table moves around and may be in the new chem bldg); this is also the astronomy bldg (white happy face observatory dome on top) where the Lord Chrusher/ENN footage was shot. Lots of other locations as well. Try not to trip over all the bunnies.

2) Oak Bay and environs - bus to the intersection of Fort St. and Foul Bay Rd. Note that Fort St. changes to Cadboro Bay Rd. Yo Video (from Commodore Hustle) is at this intersection. Walk up Cadboro Bay Rd, you will see Oak Bay High school (in many videos). Keep walking up Cadboro Bay Rd. to Bowker Ave. Triangular bldg at this intersection was backdrop for Street Value video. Walk down Bowker Ave. - away from water, apartment block (Bowker Manor) was seen briefly in CH video; towards water, you will hit Willows Beach (Bioshocked). Walk down the beach to see Willows Park (Now in HD!), at the end of the beach is Cattle Point and Uplands Park (CCYD, Loading Ready Rumble).

Lots of other video locations in both areas...so you can get a solid LRR experience without overcrowding the LRR crew!

Actually the Death from Above video was shot on the roof of the new science building (I refuse to call it the Bob Wright Centre). UVic currently has two telescope domes but only one, the one on top of the Elliott building with the smiley face has a telescope inside it. The telescope for the other one is on order. Also make sure to check out the ECS building, another common location for videos such as Toilet Humor.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.

Return to “General Discussion”