BREAKING NEWS: LRR + The Escapist = Success

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
James
LRR Crew

BREAKING NEWS: LRR + The Escapist = Success

Postby James » 24 Nov 2009, 15:04

Hey guys, so as many of you might have just heard while watching Desert Bus during the Russ Pitts call in, this January LoadingReadyRun will be showing our videos exclusively on The Escapist Magazine which is where you guys can currently see ENN and Unskippable.

Obviously you guys are going to have a lot of questions and we promise you that after desert bus (and a couple days of rest) we will do our best to answer all your questions.

I will leave you with this, yes things are going to change but we feel these are going to be really positive changes that we hope every can get on board with.

EDIT: Some clarifications below--
The forums are staying here.
Bonus content stays here.
Phailhaus, Iron Stomach, Loading Time, LRRcast stays here.
We are not selling the videos, we are licensing them.
You do NOT have to join the Escapist forums.
The store stays here.
This is really an awesome thing guys, trust us.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Re: BREAKING NEWS: LRR + The Unskippable = Success

Postby Cake » 24 Nov 2009, 15:08

My question is can all of you quit your days jobs now?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 24 Nov 2009, 15:09

I also want to make note that I'm not joining the escapist forums.... so yeah...
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 24 Nov 2009, 15:13

Cake wrote:I also want to make note that I'm not joining the escapist forums.... so yeah...

Yeah... Don't get me wrong; this is a fantastic thing for you guys and I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea in the least, but from all the horror stories I've heard about the Escapist forums I do feel disappointed that the community is going to have to migrate there.
steelfox

Postby steelfox » 24 Nov 2009, 15:15

Unless there is a LRR branch of the escapist forums
Matt wrote:AND IF SHE'S DEAD SHE CAN'T SAY NO.

-M
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 24 Nov 2009, 15:15

Well, if you guys are happy I'm happy. So I guess this was the big thing you couldn't talk about?

Cake wrote:I also want to make note that I'm not joining the escapist forums.... so yeah...

Yeah. This. It's not that I don't like the escapist forums, well actually it is, it's just that they're a little...intimidating.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 24 Nov 2009, 15:17

So, standard weekly videos will only be on the Escapist?

This seems like a good thing. But, as with cH, the prospect is a little bit pants-shittingly terrifying when speculation is running rampant.

---

Guys, we can still be reclusive. We'll just talk about it on here and laugh knowingly at the people on the Escapist forums.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 24 Nov 2009, 15:19

Yeah, I kind of doubt I will too. We'll see.

Congrats though. I really do hope this ends up well for you guys.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 24 Nov 2009, 15:20

Technically I'm already joined at the Escapist forums, but heck know's I don't visit.

I like the community we have here, it's one of the best I've yet encountered online.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 24 Nov 2009, 15:21

RytelCSF wrote:

Yeah... Don't get me wrong; this is a fantastic thing for you guys and I'm not trying to say it's a bad idea in the least, but from all the horror stories I've heard about the Escapist forums I do feel disappointed that the community is going to have to migrate there.

Don't jump the gun; they haven't said anything more than "LoadingReadyRun will be showing our videos exclusively on The Escapist Magazine." Showing their videos. Not moving their forums or their podcasts or the Whatever thing. Just the videos.

Give them a chance to explain before we start getting riled up.

The only thing we DO know for sure is this will help LRR get a wider audience, and will help keep the LRR crew fed and watered, and personally? I think both of those are a good thing.

Remember that Yahtzee was not exactly well known before his videos began appearing on the Escapist, and the Escapist seems to be very respectful about giving the people on their site artistic freedom; Yahtzee doesn't seem to have any issues with censorship. :roll:
RytelCSF
First Video: Son of a Bitch

Postby RytelCSF » 24 Nov 2009, 15:23

*redacted* Well never mind then. Crisis averted.
Last edited by RytelCSF on 24 Nov 2009, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 24 Nov 2009, 15:27

I'm pretty sure they said (or at least very strongly implied) on the feed that this forum will still be here.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 24 Nov 2009, 15:28

Alright, I will answer a few questions to hopefully put some of your minds at ease.

First and foremost the only content that will be moving to the escapist is our weekly videos. Phailhaus, ISC, Loading Time, Misc Bonus Videos and Podcast will still very much remain on this website.

Secondly loadingreadyrun.com will not be shutting down or anything like that. We have worked hard and are very proud of this community and the last thing we want to do is see it go away. You don't have to join up with the escapist forums if you don't want. These forums aren't going anywhere.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 24 Nov 2009, 15:30

While I'm happy for you guys and that this might be a good step in the right direction; I do hope that it will not hav a negative impact this forum community (I've only ever come to like 2 commmunities over the years and this is one of them). I'm gonna have to go along with some of the others and say that I'm not very interested in joining the escapist forum (I like what the escapist do, but not the forum they have).

But if the location of the videos is all that's gonna change here, well then I don't see any real negative points (as I watch them from youtube each week already), so cheers
Last edited by Smeghead on 24 Nov 2009, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 24 Nov 2009, 15:37

Thanks for clarifying that James. I don't see a downside at all! Well played.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 24 Nov 2009, 15:38

Don't get me wrong, if you can all quite your jobs and do this full time, I will be thrilled for you.
Red Charlie

Postby Red Charlie » 24 Nov 2009, 15:39

I know I would not post again on this account.

But surely this announcement is worth a 1000th post.

I'm very happy for LRR crew. Way to go guys, fantastic work.
It was really too big:

I give you this instead

sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 24 Nov 2009, 15:40

EDIT: Nevermind, missed the bit about licensed.

Congratulations guys. 6 years, and its starting to really pay off... sorta...

EDIT again: Exclusivly?
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 24 Nov 2009, 15:56

James wrote:Alright, I will answer a few questions to hopefully put some of your minds at ease.

First and foremost the only content that will be moving to the escapist is our weekly videos. Phailhaus, ISC, Loading Time, Misc Bonus Videos and Podcast will still very much remain on this website.

Secondly loadingreadyrun.com will not be shutting down or anything like that. We have worked hard and are very proud of this community and the last thing we want to do is see it go away. You don't have to join up with the escapist forums if you don't want. These forums aren't going anywhere.

I love you James. You're awesome for clearing this up.

So... who's up for laughing behind Escapist's back over here? Cause I'll only watch the videos over there, and discuss here. Effectively, what we already do for Unskippable and ENN.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 24 Nov 2009, 16:06

Seraphroy wrote:
James wrote:Alright, I will answer a few questions to hopefully put some of your minds at ease.

I love you James. You're awesome for clearing this up.

So... who's up for laughing behind Escapist's back over here? Cause I'll only watch the videos over there, and discuss here. Effectively, what we already do for Unskippable and ENN.

Except I'm sure Escapist is OK with that. You're giving them page views, they get ad revenue, and who knows? Maybe you'll check out some of their articles or other videos, eventually. (Zero Punctuation is very good, after all).

I'm glad James cleared it up, but honestly, guys, come on. You didn't think the LRR crew would want to just dump us into the Escapist forum. Why would you want to get rid of your fanbase? (Unless we're all jerks and we don' know it. XD) I have more faith in LRR than that.

I cannot see anything bad about this arrangement, honestly. Unless, of course, the Escapist turns out to pay in Treacle, in which case the crew will probably die of Treacle poisoning. :(
Woody

Postby Woody » 24 Nov 2009, 16:07

Congrats all of you. It's great to see talent recognized and you all certainly deserve it. Looking forward to the next step!
www.youtube.com/elevatorshow

"Motherf**ker! They ARE hostile!"
Seraphroy

Postby Seraphroy » 24 Nov 2009, 16:08

I started on Escapist because of ZP, I like some of their stuff, I just don't like their forums. That's all. It's not like I don't know their other stuff or anything like that, I just hate their fanbase for some reason.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Nov 2009, 16:08

Thanks for clearing that up James, I was already assuming that the forums would stay here since you love your fanbase as much as we do, but confirmation is always king.

I also have an account on the Escapist that I've never used, but I may pop over there on occasion now to help in introducing the people on the Escapist to some of the nuances of LRR, provide links to previous related videos for sequels and references, and that kind of thing. However, I love the LRR forums, this is the longest and most active I've being in any kind of community (even those I've being a founding/integral part of, back in the day), and I love the Runners and the people here.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 24 Nov 2009, 16:09

Holy shit & wow. You guys are finally taking off. It's been going faster & faster since I joined 2 years ago & it's great to see you finally getting wider interest & now actually REAL MONIES for doing this.

Now, will I still be able to watch new weekly videos here via embedded player (ie. Revver, blipTV, YouTube, etc?) or is loading the Escapist website a part of what they mean by "exclusive"?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Seraphroy

Postby Seraphroy » 24 Nov 2009, 16:10

Jim, the weekly videos will be Escapist exclusive, everything else will be on here via some other video player site.

Return to “General Discussion”