Because nobody is reading this

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Because nobody is reading this

Postby King Kool » 24 Nov 2009, 22:22

I'm just gonna say what's on my mind.

Watching auctions are fun for a bit, but it's kinda like being the Florida Marlins while the Red Sox and Yanks are in the room. I'm obviously never gonna win, so that's normally when I go do something else (though the one with that Star Wars thing last night was crazy, glad I caught that).

Why do people buy snacks before they go into Precious? Did people buy snacks before entering Schindler's List? Am I unique in that I seldom have a snack at the theatre (I'll often have a drink, but that somehow feels different)

I knew Desert Bus would kill my NaNoWriMo before I started it, but now I'm looking at it and hearing ducks quack. I figured I'd finish the novel one way or the other; why not? But if I'm not doing it at the exclusion of the other two novels I'm working on, maybe it'd never get done.

I should mess around more with Google Wave. I'll bet it's cool, and I got an invite from Ben, but jeez.

Can you REALLY not get Mounds bars in Canada?

Why is the most comfortable chair in my house to sit and type on a laptop a rocking chair?

What makes dijon mustard so special?

Feel free to contribute.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Cake
Magically Delicious

Re: Because nobody is reading this

Postby Cake » 24 Nov 2009, 22:26

I wish someone would invite me to google wave. I never, ever buy snacks at the theater, because they cost so much.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 24 Nov 2009, 22:32

No really, I'm making more money than I used to. I'm spending less. Why do I have less money constantly now?

Why do I randomly get cravings for dead animals when I already eat mostly things that used to breathe anyway?

When dolphins sleep in warm water, do they pee?

Has anybody seen my old friend John?
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 24 Nov 2009, 22:33

KHAAAAAAAAN!!!
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 24 Nov 2009, 22:34

I ALWAYS buy popcorn at the theatre. That is my one foodthing weakness.. movie theatre popcorn. I remember I used to just go into the theatre to get popcorn and leave haha.

Yumyum.

Why are you comparing Precious to Schindlers list? I want to see it..
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 24 Nov 2009, 22:35

KHAAAAAAAN!!!
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 24 Nov 2009, 22:39

Just keep an eye on your inbox Cake, and most of the time when I see movies in the theater its with my father (one of the main ways we bond is over action movies), and he buys snacks. Otherwise, I'm too poor most of the time to afford snacks.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 24 Nov 2009, 23:57

Having long hair sucks when you find it in your cereal. It's even worse when you swallow half of it and have to pull it back out. Not "swallow half the hair in the bowl", just swallow half of an individual strand of hair.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Nov 2009, 00:47

Popcorn & soda are the only snacks I'll buy at a theatre. They're as grossly overpriced as everything else but like TheRocketSiobhan, popcorn is my one movie foodthing weakness. If I want candy I'll stop at Wallgreens to buy some & then sneak it in. You can get the same size candy bars at a fraction of the cost.

Lately I rediscovered & have been greatly enjoying The Greatest Syllable Ever Told, a remix of Kirk screaming "KHAAAAN!" I'd really like to have the full 15 minute version.

I'm really excited that LRR stood up to & surpassed my pledge-for-point challenge, & relieved that it's finally over & I no longer have to wonder how much I'll have to donate.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 25 Nov 2009, 03:06

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:I ALWAYS buy popcorn at the theatre. That is my one foodthing weakness.. movie theatre popcorn. I remember I used to just go into the theatre to get popcorn and leave haha.

Yumyum.

I have done the same thing! There's just something so good about it. It could be that heart attack inducing fake butter...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 25 Nov 2009, 06:10

Darkobra wrote:Having long hair sucks when you find it in your cereal. It's even worse when you swallow half of it and have to pull it back out. Not "swallow half the hair in the bowl", just swallow half of an individual strand of hair.

Sometimes i find hair in my food after ive put it in my mouth, and then i discover that its still attached to my head...
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 25 Nov 2009, 06:31

Popcorn in a movie is just traditional; I tend to have problems with that wonderful food - the husks get stuck between my teeth - but I'll probably buy even a small bag for the wife and I...

...if the ticket price/concession stand prices ever come into line with my budget for disposable income again...

And why, when I fell ill with the flu yet stayed home, rested, and did everything right, am I subjected to a bout of pneumonia AFTERWARDS, too? Image
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 25 Nov 2009, 07:40

King Kool wrote:Watching auctions are fun for a bit, but it's kinda like being the Florida Marlins while the Red Sox and Yanks are in the room. I'm obviously never gonna win, so that's normally when I go do something else (though the one with that Star Wars thing last night was crazy, glad I caught that).

You're not alone King Kool. I find the evening auctions to be tiresome. That's in part because they're inexperienced in running auctions so they take absolutely forever. They learn more every year and I'm sure they'll improve the system if they do this all again next year.

I also feel the auctions violate the spirit of Desert Bus. The original idea was for fans' generosity to force them to drive longer*. I'd rather see more Challenges and fewer 2-hour auction blocks during prime time. It's great they're doing Boy Band at 3 am, but if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around does anyone care? I want to watch Graham and Paul performing something, not Archie and Joan at 10 am when they actually still do Challenges during waking hours.

I had $100 set aside for LRR Crew Challenges this year and donated a total of $20 of it for a Bill story (thanks Bill's Mom!). You know what? I wasn't saving that money for Child's Play, I was saving it to give it to Desert Bus For Hope. That $80 isn't going to get "donated anyway." I doubt I'm alone in that sentiment, either.

* I recognize that there's a little "pot calling the kettle black" here since my grand gesture wasn't exactly connected to forcing them to bus longer, either, but it was at least in the spirit of a Challenge and it took all of 3 minutes.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 25 Nov 2009, 08:33

I've gotten pretty tired of the meme-status that Octopimp's received. I mean, he's donated a metric fuckton of money and obviously he is really cool for it, but I wish you'd just stop talking about him. He's cool for being rich, apparently, and I'm sorry that his dad had to go to the hospital (he's fine now, says Octo), but really, I don't care about all the discussion he's generated.

EDIT: And he got to be the last word at the beginning of the ENN intro today. Sigh.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2009, 08:55

I have no problem with the auctions, since often times people would have donated the money anyways (although I'm pretty sure the auctions drive up the amount), and this is just something they're getting in return. Also, I got a sweet ass-scarf out of it.

I would like to see an auction page (like eBay) so at least some of the large auctions can go up in advance and run the length of Desert Bus. That will leave more time during the day for challenges, and help with the massive backlog they've had this year (and will only increase next year). There'd still be opportunities for auctions spread out throughout the marathon, but we wouldn't be forced into the 2-hour auction blocks keeping me up past 3 in the morning, resulting in me sleeping through my first class (which happened today).
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Timelady
First Video: Deeply Religious

Postby Timelady » 25 Nov 2009, 08:58

If the auctions help drum up money for the charity, I'm all for it.

CtMolloy wrote:
Darkobra wrote:Having long hair sucks when you find it in your cereal. It's even worse when you swallow half of it and have to pull it back out. Not "swallow half the hair in the bowl", just swallow half of an individual strand of hair.

Sometimes i find hair in my food after ive put it in my mouth, and then i discover that its still attached to my head...

Tell me about it. Know what's worse when you have long hair, though? Finding a short hair in your food.

I wish I had picked up all three books of a certain trilogy when I went to the library last. Now I've finished the first two and I have to wait until mid-December for the last one to return.
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:Bacon is not a chronological entity.
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 25 Nov 2009, 09:38

Nevrmore wrote:He's cool for being rich, apparently, I don't care about all the discussion he's generated.

QFT

Edit:
Master Gunner wrote:I have no problem with the auctions, since often times people would have donated the money anyways (although I'm pretty sure the auctions drive up the amount), and this is just something they're getting in return. Also, I got a sweet ass-scarf out of it.

Right. I didn't mean to say that they should stop the auctions entirely only that I don't like having them taking up such large blocks of time. They raise a ton of money and they help people without money to contribute to the cause in a meaningful way even from halfway around the world.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Nov 2009, 10:02

They do need to get a solid system set up for auctions but then, it's also entertainment & they have five days to fill. But as EcoCD said elsewhere, I just hope that the people outbidding on everything actually appreciate those items that the rest of us crazy LRR fans covet. Money aside, I'd hate to see the Warriors of Darkness spend their life in a closet just because someone cared more about getting 10 more minutes of Internet fame.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 25 Nov 2009, 10:12

Evil Jim wrote:I just hope that the people outbidding on everything actually appreciate those items that the rest of us crazy LRR fans covet. Money aside, I'd hate to see the Warriors of Darkness spend their life in a closet just because someone cared more about getting 10 more minutes of Internet fame.

You don't think anybody would do that right? I mean you wouldn't spend $100 on something you don't have any interest in right?
Nothing to see here.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2009, 10:32

I'm guessing many a LRR fan has being saving for Story Guy and Warriors of Darkness. I'd even be willing to break into my college savings to make sure they get a good home (I'd prefer not to though, I'd have a hard time explaining that to my parents. Fortunately I'd already hidden the money I have donated from them).
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 25 Nov 2009, 11:10

Timelady wrote:Tell me about it. Know what's worse when you have long hair, though? Finding a short hair in your food.

And its still attached....
ecocd

Postby ecocd » 25 Nov 2009, 12:37

Machalllewis wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:I just hope that the people outbidding on everything actually appreciate those items that the rest of us crazy LRR fans covet. Money aside, I'd hate to see the Warriors of Darkness spend their life in a closet just because someone cared more about getting 10 more minutes of Internet fame.

You don't think anybody would do that right? I mean you wouldn't spend $100 on something you don't have any interest in right?

You just need to put it on a scale. Would you invest, say $5, on a cheap thrill? If you have 20 times the disposable income you have now, it's the same thing.

The huge bids tended to be on items that weren't LRR-related for the most part, right? Snowfire may have bought the Paul & Graham painting, but Story Guy and The Wariors of Darkness might not hold as much interest for non-LRR fans.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Nov 2009, 12:39

I will personally burrow into the abdomen eat the pancreas of anyone who outbids me on the Story Guy set.

GRRRAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRLL!!!!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2009, 12:51

You have, what, $500 left for Desert Bus until your paycheck on the first? If you can put a couple hundred towards it from your next paycheck, you can use that in your bidding. The crew knows you'll be good for it, and will be willing to wait for you to get the money. My full donation won't even be on my paypal account until the first thanks to an insanely long processing time.
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Nov 2009, 13:02

"$500"? Where did that come from?

I wouldn't ask the crew to wait on a payment whether they thought I was good on my word or not. If I can't pay for it at the time of the auction I won't bid that high. Paying for things on credit is not my thing. I have a max amount I'm comfortable to bid, a max amount I'm not comfortable to bid & a max amount that would put me in trouble. Which is why it's better that everyone just sits tight & appreciates how useful their pancreases are.

Return to “General Discussion”