Because nobody is reading this

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Cake
Magically Delicious

Re: Because nobody is reading this

Postby Cake » 25 Nov 2009, 13:03

Yeah, I got sick of the auctions lasting forever, and sick of Octopimp. I stopped watching though. Master Gunner, no one MADE you stay up late to watch DB. The only person you have to blame is yourself.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 25 Nov 2009, 13:26

I agree the auctions need to be tweaked a little. Say with set times, and a page dedicated to the things that will be auctioned at those set times. I know the bigger ticket items have a notice, but it was the little things that I was interested in buying. Unfortunatly I can't be DBing all the time ( my clients would not be impressed when their photos did not get done)and I ended up missing the things I wanted to bid on. It would have also been nice to see my stuff getting auctioned.

However, with that said - I am ALL for the auction and do not think it's taking away from DB at all. We want to raise the greatest amount of dollars that we can for the chill'in, right? I mean, that IS the point. I think the auction has raised the freakiest amount of money, and should be put in prime time becuase that is when the most people are on.

Just hope it's a little more organized for next year, too.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2009, 13:46

Evil Jim: That number came out of my ass.

Cake: I do entirely blame myself, mainly because I'm not sure if I even turned on my alarm. I likely would have stayed up around that long anyways, since other awesome things would have happened if not that auction. However, if I had wanted to bid on one of them, than I would have had to stay up just to bid. With more organized auctions, that would be less likely to happen.

One way us fans can get organized is for people who want certain items to team up with those who aren't bidding for those items, in a buddy-type system. So, for example, Siobhan can tell me what her maximum bid on an item would be, and if it goes up when she's not there, I can bid for her up to that amount (obviously trying to get it for as little as possible). Then I'd send Siobhan an email as soon as the auction ends, so she can take care of payment and shipping information, and I'd send the prize address an email to expect one from Siobhan.

Obviously this would require a lot of trust, and would mostly be between the regulars of the forum. There's already being a bit of this going on with those watching but not able to get on the Desert Bus IRC.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Nov 2009, 13:49

I'm glad you got the scarf, MG. I worry about your ability to buy food though...
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2009, 14:08

Meal plan is pre-paid, so its all already bought. Also, I have a bit over $1000 is university savings which remains untouched (barely). If I see the Story Guy or WoD auctions going badly though, then I'll start worrying about money and food.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 25 Nov 2009, 14:54

When are Story Guy and WoD auctions?
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Nov 2009, 14:58

Probably close to the end of the drive since they contain the most Awsesome.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 25 Nov 2009, 15:24

I REALLY want the Paul & Storm pack. You hear me?

Nobody bid for it or I will murder your families!
The Laughing Man
First Video: rapidfire

Postby The Laughing Man » 25 Nov 2009, 16:25

It seems you need to spend a ton of money in the auctions for those guys to really give you any attention.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
infinite_guest

Postby infinite_guest » 25 Nov 2009, 17:12

Personally, I think that the auctions are a good thing for the tons and tons of money they bring in, but since I have no money, they're boring for me.

@ The Laughing Man: Of course. At time of writing, there are about fifteen hundred viewers. Since the aim of DB is to make money, of course people who donate a lot would get attention.
Longwood: Location of Harvard Medical School where evil mad scientists and Jews create transgenic monsters.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 25 Nov 2009, 17:26

You've gotta wonder why they don't try auctioning off a guest spot in a LRR video. I guarantee you they would pull in at least $1000.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
The Laughing Man

Postby The Laughing Man » 25 Nov 2009, 17:32

infinite_guest wrote:@ The Laughing Man: Of course. At time of writing, there are about fifteen hundred viewers. Since the aim of DB is to make money, of course people who donate a lot would get attention.

Doesn't explain why everyone keeps sucking off octopimp.
infinite_guest

Postby infinite_guest » 25 Nov 2009, 17:35

Considering that Star Wars thing I wasn't around for went for $1400 (I think?), I'd say you could pull in at least two grand, if not three or more.

...If I had money, I would pay for it.

...Because I'm sort of an attention whore.

@TLM: Because he donated a shit-ton of money.
Longwood: Location of Harvard Medical School where evil mad scientists and Jews create transgenic monsters.
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 25 Nov 2009, 17:36

Evil Jim wrote:I will personally burrow into the abdomen eat the pancreas of anyone who outbids me on the Story Guy set.

GRRRAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRLL!!!!

Evil Jim, I sure hope you're around right now, because they are about to auction off the mini-Story Guy + Set. Get on quickly.
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
The Laughing Man

Postby The Laughing Man » 25 Nov 2009, 17:42

I tried, but I couldn't go higher than $300.
infinite_guest

Postby infinite_guest » 25 Nov 2009, 17:46

I almost submitted a challenge, but then I discovered that I had negative monies.

Also, congratulations Evil Jim. I am more jealous than I can express.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 25 Nov 2009, 18:03

Nevrmore wrote:I've gotten pretty tired of the meme-status that Octopimp's received. I mean, he's donated a metric fuckton of money and obviously he is really cool for it, but I wish you'd just stop talking about him. He's cool for being rich, apparently, and I'm sorry that his dad had to go to the hospital (he's fine now, says Octo), but really, I don't care about all the discussion he's generated.

EDIT: And he got to be the last word at the beginning of the ENN intro today. Sigh.

This. So, so very much this. I mean, I was as excited as anyone else to see so much money being raised, but honestly? There are a lot of people who are donating 400, 500, 600 dollars, and don't even get a second mention. To see a guy get regaled with praise and fan art and constant mention by the crew for what should be the humble act of donating to charity... it's kind of annoying. This shouldn't be a "my e-penis is bigger than yours let me wave it for you."

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:I agree the auctions need to be tweaked a little. Say with set times, and a page dedicated to the things that will be auctioned at those set times. I know the bigger ticket items have a notice, but it was the little things that I was interested in buying. Unfortunatly I can't be DBing all the time ( my clients would not be impressed when their photos did not get done)and I ended up missing the things I wanted to bid on. It would have also been nice to see my stuff getting auctioned.

This, very much this. I felt really bad bothering the crew, but I had no idea whether my scarf had gotten there, or whether it had been auctioned off already, or what was going on. I also wanted to try to bid on one of Chemistring's Chain Chomp hats, but I apparently missed both of them; one in the middle of the night, the other in the middle of the day. :( A page listing all the items, in detail, with times that they're planning on auctioning them, would be super awesome.

Evil Jim wrote:They do need to get a solid system set up for auctions but then, it's also entertainment & they have five days to fill. But as EcoCD said elsewhere, I just hope that the people outbidding on everything actually appreciate those items that the rest of us crazy LRR fans covet. Money aside, I'd hate to see the Warriors of Darkness spend their life in a closet just because someone cared more about getting 10 more minutes of Internet fame.

This. I was really, really worried about this. I was actually really happy Master Gunner got my scarf, because I know he'll appreciate it/ take care of it. I know the crew can't do anything about this, and anyone can donate for whatever they want, but... I... augh. Honestly I can't see any way around this. I guess I just hope that people donate for things because they actually want the thing and want to help the children, not just because they want to hear their name said by the crew. :(
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2009, 18:23

Paul has set up a new email, [email protected], to send your ideas, and what you did and didn't like. I've already sent off an email.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 25 Nov 2009, 18:25

JesterJ. wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:I will personally burrow into the abdomen eat the pancreas of anyone who outbids me on the Story Guy set.

GRRRAAAAAWWWWWWRRRRLL!!!!

Evil Jim, I sure hope you're around right now, because they are about to auction off the mini-Story Guy + Set. Get on quickly.

GOT IT!
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Nov 2009, 18:40

Huzzah! Nice to see some of us forumites are getting what we want.
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 25 Nov 2009, 18:58

Goddamn Mr Moldy!

Really though, he wanted it more.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 25 Nov 2009, 20:07

I wish I had more money to spend on these auctions, and truth be told, I have enough in my bank account that I could have, but I had kept putting off transferring money over from it into Paypal, and without a credit card, I have to wait a week before the money goes in. Those chain chomp hats were amazing, I'd have spent a fortune on one of those. That or Ditto's scarf, cause that thing was just too awesome.

SO I spent the little I had in there on getting Alex to do Half Life: Full Life Consequences and Andre to do Hardware Store by Weird Al Yankovic. Worth it.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 25 Nov 2009, 20:10

Same. Super busyness + Rainyness = No chance to get to the place where I can fill my internet buying stuff card.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 25 Nov 2009, 21:43

Does anyone know how much the 3 booty shorts went for??

I stepped out for a while to get groceries and I missed it. That is prime exapmle of why I would have really loved the auction site listing the time before hand.
I see on the site the only one that didn't go was the large booty shorts.. APPARENTLY NO ONE HERE HAS BOOTY. I are dissapoint!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 25 Nov 2009, 21:45

It only took 4 days for a bank transfer to my paypal. it went in earlier. I'm still trying to conserve my bandwidth so i can watch the end of DBFH i guess its lucky i get extra gb offpeak allowance between 11pm and 11am, i think i have enough for 2 hours max on peak. So I can now donate more $, though I wish I had enough to win an auction, theres SO much cool stuff.

Also about Octopimp, I think his status has to do with his name as well as his donations. It's a humorous name and can be made into a meme so easily.

Return to “General Discussion”