Pet Peeves

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
TorachiKatashi

Re: Pet Peeves

Postby TorachiKatashi » 22 Nov 2009, 12:07

Twelve-year-old girls who make shitty AMVs and think that because they do so, that makes them a one-man production company and thus add "JapaneseWordTheyFoundInGoogle Productions" to the beginning of all their videos. Sorry champ, you've gotta grow a little more hair before you're old enough to run your own company.

Likewise, the same pseudo-AMV makers who have the gaul to have fifty seconds worth of "Don't Steal Mah Work!" to the beginning of the videos (as well as repeat it a few times in the description) when they probably got the song they're using from Limewire.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 23 Nov 2009, 01:59

People who submit their original-sized milestone images to Desert Bus. If it's larger than the built-in image viewer on the site we can't see the whole thing. And I can tell you just knocked it together in MSPaint in five minutes so it doesn't need to be 5 goddamn MB!
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 25 Nov 2009, 06:00

Australian ISPs

I asked if we could pay per gig for extra downloading... no. you can only upgrade to a higher plan.... but where can you go from the highest plan?

Seems an ISP that provides better service is on the cards.
Anyone know of a better one in Australia? doubt it exists.
I'm with optus.

Looks like i will miss out on the end of desertbus :(
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 27 Nov 2009, 12:27

- Able-bodied people who park in handicap spots and justify it because they were "just running in for a second."

My father (who has a permit to park in handicap spots due to major problems with his feet and legs) smacked around some punk kid who tried to get up in his face when he called a bunch of them out for parking in the handicap spot to fix the four bikes they had jammed into a bike rack built for one bike.

Illegal? Probably. Totally worth it? Absolutely.
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 27 Nov 2009, 12:30

WHEN PEOPLE DON'T SAY THANK YOU!!!! ARG IT IS SO ANNOYING!!! thats why i hate blackfriday.
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 27 Nov 2009, 12:31

Crying children...just. THEM.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 27 Nov 2009, 14:00

This might seem like an oddly esoteric one, but about every six months, just when I let my guard down, something horrible (varieties include suicide attempts, being hit by a car, being institutionalized, cancer, being deported, being beaten by significant others, being evicted, having pets killed) happens to a close friend/family member/loved one. I mean it, this has been going on for four years, and it's like the universe saying "well, are you still an optimist now?" so far though, they can't keep me down.

on the more normal, people claiming, insisting and accusing me of using drugs, and being shocked to learn I don't (sometimes people just think different).

Oversleeping.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
CtMolloy

Postby CtMolloy » 27 Nov 2009, 14:35

epocalypse wrote:
on the more normal, people claiming, insisting and accusing me of using drugs, and being shocked to learn I don't (sometimes people just think different).

Oversleeping.

I get that sometimes too. I'm in a pirate metal band, i must be on drugs to think of something like that!

I've noticed alot of people seem to think you need to be on drugs to do anything creative or slightly out of the ordinary.. or even something that isn't just be a boring idiot that does nothing but go to work and come home and sleep...

someone playing some awesome music? yeah man, they must be on some good drugs!
someone makes a funny video? yeah man, they must be on some good drugs!
cool painting? good drugs!
says funny things? definitely uses good drugs man!
a book? drugs!
a video game marathon to raise money? yeah man, must be on good drugs!

Duuurgs!
I guess i know alot of really boring and uncreative idiots.
disappoint.
Lawman
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby Lawman » 27 Nov 2009, 16:19

TorachiKatashi wrote:- Able-bodied people who park in handicap spots and justify it because they were "just running in for a second."

My father (who has a permit to park in handicap spots due to major problems with his feet and legs) smacked around some punk kid who tried to get up in his face when he called a bunch of them out for parking in the handicap spot to fix the four bikes they had jammed into a bike rack built for one bike.

While there's no doubt that I agree with the idea of letting handicapped people park closer to what they need to get to than someone who isn't, I still think that able-bodied people also have the right to use those spaces (otherwise, it's reverse discrimination, which is just as bad as regular discrimination).

I don't have a problem with people using disabled spaces if they are in a hurry and won't take long. What I would be against is someone using the space due to sheer laziness, and occupying it the whole day.
TorachiKatashi

Postby TorachiKatashi » 27 Nov 2009, 17:19

Lawman wrote:
TorachiKatashi wrote:- Able-bodied people who park in handicap spots and justify it because they were "just running in for a second."

While there's no doubt that I agree with the idea of letting handicapped people park closer to what they need to get to than someone who isn't, I still think that able-bodied people also have the right to use those spaces (otherwise, it's reverse discrimination, which is just as bad as regular discrimination).

I don't have a problem with people using disabled spaces if they are in a hurry and won't take long. What I would be against is someone using the space due to sheer laziness, and occupying it the whole day.

The law disagrees with you, as does anyone with common sense. Today is a perfect example - in that "just a second" those guys needed to stop, my handicapped father showed up and needed that spot they were in. What could justify that?
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Nov 2009, 17:33

Considering the handicapped spots are generally just the first couple rows of a parking lot (and not always all the columns), an able-bodied person can take the extra few steps from the next row down on days when the parking lot isn't busy, and on days when the parking lot is busy, generally those spaces are used or soon will be by handicapped people, who simply can't reliably walk from the other end of the parking lot like you or I can. Handicapped spots are there because some people need them, and making them available to everyone during off-peak hours is a slippery slope.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 27 Nov 2009, 17:35

When people leave the latches of roadcases open. and cause a gash on my leg and a cut through a decent pair of workpants. I'm lucky i don't need to go and get stitches. Fuck! how hard is it to lock down a latch.
cheezweazl
First Video: The first Iron Stomach Challenge I think

Postby cheezweazl » 27 Nov 2009, 17:43

CtMolloy wrote:
epocalypse wrote:

Oversleeping.

I get that sometimes too. I'm in a pirate metal band, i must be on drugs to think of something like that!

I've noticed alot of people seem to think you need to be on drugs to do anything creative or slightly out of the ordinary.. or even something that isn't just be a boring idiot that does nothing but go to work and come home and sleep...

someone playing some awesome music? yeah man, they must be on some good drugs!
someone makes a funny video? yeah man, they must be on some good drugs!
cool painting? good drugs!
says funny things? definitely uses good drugs man!
a book? drugs!
a video game marathon to raise money? yeah man, must be on good drugs!

Duuurgs!
I guess i know alot of really boring and uncreative idiots.
disappoint.

This, exactly!
I don't understand how people cannot wrap their heads around the idea that someone can stray from the normal without chemical intervention.
Cheezweazl
a.k.a. Connoisseur Tom
"Enlightenment can only be achieved through superior living."
http://www.theconnoisseurs.com
http://cheezweazl.deviantart.com
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 27 Nov 2009, 17:44

People with big pictures in their sigs. Thank goodness for ad block plus.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 27 Nov 2009, 17:46

Master Gunner wrote:Considering the handicapped spots are generally just the first couple rows of a parking lot (and not always all the columns), an able-bodied person can take the extra few steps from the next row down on days when the parking lot isn't busy, and on days when the parking lot is busy, generally those spaces are used or soon will be by handicapped people, who simply can't reliably walk from the other end of the parking lot like you or I can. Handicapped spots are there because some people need them, and making them available to everyone during off-peak hours is a slippery slope.

BECAUSE WALKING IS SO HARD!

I can feel a pet peeve flaring up. What is wrong with people? Suburban life and big-box retail has destroyed any hope for humanity to give up cars completely and go to walking, I will admit (yet there's still no reason we all couldn't switch to bicycles), but what is it with people and being SO adverse to walking? People will freak out if they have to park at the far end of a parking lot or a few blocks away from where they want to end up; people CONSTANTLY take the elevator from the first floor to the second in the Engineering building, even though there are literally FIVE different flights of stairs in the building, including one that is about ten foot from the elevator door. It's just... AUGH.

I've tried to convince myself that, "oh, maybe this person has a leg condition, they can't climb stairs... or maybe they're feeling ill, etc." But no, there is no way that many people can have leg conditions. D:<

There's no reason for you to be a dick and take a handicapped parking spot. Get off your butt and walk the few hundred feet to get where you need to go.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 27 Nov 2009, 17:49

Regarding parking: I may be a big fella, but I will take the first feasible parking spot I find. Whether it's in the front, or in the back. I refuse to spend any amount of time searching for "good parking."
cheezweazl
First Video: The first Iron Stomach Challenge I think

Postby cheezweazl » 27 Nov 2009, 17:51

Cake wrote:People with big pictures in their sigs. Thank goodness for ad block plus.

Point taken there Grumpelstiltskin.
Sig has been whittled down.
Cheezweazl
a.k.a. Connoisseur Tom
"Enlightenment can only be achieved through superior living."
http://www.theconnoisseurs.com
http://cheezweazl.deviantart.com
infinite_guest

Postby infinite_guest » 27 Nov 2009, 17:53

@Cake: THIS. Back when I did freeboard RPs, if I absolutely had to have a signature, I'd always have a thin little banner with very little decoration. Unfortunately, there would always be someone with what basically amounted to a desktop background below all their posts.

Of course, this was how I weeded out the bad players, so I shouldn't complain.

I know I'm being unreasonable with this one, but I hate it when my roommate talks to her friends for hours on the phone. I'm not a very big phone person, but she is, and she speaks so loudly and everything she says is so goddamn inane that it makes me want to die.
Longwood: Location of Harvard Medical School where evil mad scientists and Jews create transgenic monsters.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 27 Nov 2009, 18:07

...Does...does my picture qualify as big?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 27 Nov 2009, 18:20

Must be. I don't see it, which means I blocked it already.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 27 Nov 2009, 18:23

On the topic of car related laziness I hate people who drive to the gym rather than run, walk or bike there.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 27 Nov 2009, 18:25

I feel terrible...Though sometimes I neglect just how much bandwidth I have, and so 11kB does not seem large to me at all...(I have a...T3 I think).

You have my sincerest apologies, but I like it too much to remove it on account of one person. Two maybe.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 27 Nov 2009, 18:47

It's not so much the size, but the dimensions that are considered the problem. A signature that's too large breaks the flow of text and is distracting. I tend to go by no signature ever being higher than 4 or 5 lines of text.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 27 Nov 2009, 18:53

...I wish someone had mentioned it earlier...

I shall see what I can do.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 27 Nov 2009, 19:04

It's about the dimensions as MG said. Since I download at 2 megs a seconds, I don't really about the size of... well anything.

Return to “General Discussion”