Visiting your past self.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Father Time

Visiting your past self.

Postby Father Time » 28 Nov 2009, 18:37

Let's say you had a time machine, but this here is a prototype time machine that only lets you travel to years you were alive in and can't travel to a date beyond the present (so no 2011). So you decide to hang out with your younger self.

What would you bring back from 2009 and what would you do with yourself?

Oh and how would they react?

I personally would test the theory that I've gotten so rusty in Twisted Metal 2 my 9 year old self could crush me (I'm generally better at games now, but I played that game all the time when I was a kid).

Also I'd bring back a PS3 and blow his/my freaking mind.

Oh and I'd visit my old elementary school to see how much I was actually made fun of (and deal with it just by being 2 feet taller than all the kids).
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: Visiting your past self.

Postby Master Gunner » 28 Nov 2009, 18:40

I'd go back about 3 years ago, give myself Fallout 3, and slap my younger self over the head for his stupidity.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 28 Nov 2009, 18:45

I just thought of an experiment, go back in time 1 year, see if it's possible for my younger self to trick me or outsmart me in anything.

Oh the implications if he could.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 28 Nov 2009, 18:46

Interesting constraints for time travel. Still...

I typically never get a proper chance to visit the recent past, so I think I'd go back and spend time discussing the various long-term projects I've worked on or started since the year I would travel back to. Basically give myself some guidance on pitfalls to avoid, and also jump start some projects I wish I had started earlier.

I'd bring back a number of things, including advanced computational equipment and such. Also money. Investment can be quite lucrative over time.

~Alja~
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 28 Nov 2009, 18:50

Alja-Markir wrote:Interesting constraints for time travel. Still...

I typically never get a proper chance to visit the recent past, so I think I'd go back and spend time discussing the various long-term projects I've worked on or started since the year I would travel back to. Basically give myself some guidance on pitfalls to avoid, and also jump start some projects I wish I had started earlier.

I'd bring back a number of things, including advanced computational equipment and such. Also money. Investment can be quite lucrative over time.

~Alja~

That reminds me of the Futurama episode where Fry discovers he had a bank account in 2000 and the interest on it over 1000 years has made him rich.

I also realize assuming you could use the time machine an infinite amount of times, you could create a really big loop full of investing, waiting, and sending back the accumulated interest (i.e. imagine that fry took those riches and were able to give it to his 2000 self to put back into his account).

Methinks these time travel experiments/exploits should have their own thread, (I remember a similar one on the escapist involving the exploitation of save/load).
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 28 Nov 2009, 19:08

Yeah I wouldn't really wanna change anything I like my life, but the money thing is a good idea. That or go check out some major events
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 28 Nov 2009, 19:13

I'd go back about a year and two months. Fuck with myself a bit, give myself a warning, and join the forums a year earlier.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 28 Nov 2009, 19:14

zfubarz wrote:Yeah I wouldn't really wanna change anything I like my life, but the money thing is a good idea. That or go check out some major events

I don't mean changing, I mean visiting your past self to just hang out or something. Basically if you had the opportunity what would you do?
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 28 Nov 2009, 19:17

Arius wrote:I'd go back about a year and two months. Fuck with myself a bit, give myself a warning, and join the forums a year earlier.

Must resist posting innuendo.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 28 Nov 2009, 19:35

I would go back 30 years and convince my PARENTS to move to Victoria and have me earlier... then I would befriend the LRR crew in the same method as the How to LRR video. Does that count as visiting my past self?
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 28 Nov 2009, 19:55

Dude, I was emo-kid a while ago. Now I'm actually perfectly healthy mentally compared to that.

I'm not hanging out with myself again.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 28 Nov 2009, 20:51

One year ago. I'd take with me the winning powerball numbers for a decent week.

Which brings up another question; if you saw on the news somebody won the lottery twice in a row would you a) think they were lucky, b) think they were psychic, or c) think they were a time traveler? My friend said the time traveler option. I did too.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 28 Nov 2009, 20:53

Father Time wrote:That reminds me of the Futurama episode where Fry discovers he had a bank account in 2000 and the interest on it over 1000 years has made him rich.

So a man is somewhat down on his luck. He has no friends or family who cares for him, no wife, no kids, no pets, and he had just been fired from his dead-end job. He had barely $1,000 to survive on. He decided, instead of trying to put his life back together, he would take a drastic measure; He would freeze himself. Putting all his money into a bank account with a healthy amount of interest, he snuck into a cryogenics lab, hopped into a freeze-tube, and set the timer for 1,000 years in the future. In minutes his world disappeared.

The man woke up and opened the door to the tube. After shaking the remnants of sleep off of him, he runs to a calendar and checks the date. 1,000 years in the future! He was so excited, he ran out the building and to the first pay phone he could find. He dialed the number to his bank.

"This is the First National, how may I help you?" The teller asked. The man gave her his information and asked to check on his account. "Let me just check here...It says your balance is $10,567,473.88"

The man jumped with joy. He was rich! Rich! Just then, he heard the chime of the payphone in his ear. He held the receiver up and listened to what it was saying.

"Please insert another 80 million dollars for the next 5 minutes."
infiniteguest

Postby infiniteguest » 28 Nov 2009, 20:54

I would go back to when I was in college and have gay sex with myself.
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 28 Nov 2009, 20:56

Would it be rape if your doing it to yourself?
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 28 Nov 2009, 20:57

infiniteguest wrote:I would go back to when I was in college and have gay sex with myself.

You need a new username... Infinite_Guest is way better than you.

Unrelated, back to the age old joke, is that incest or masturbation?
infiniteguest

Postby infiniteguest » 28 Nov 2009, 21:27

Cake wrote:Would it be rape if your doing it to yourself?

It wouldn't be rape because it would be consensual, duh.
infiniteguest

Postby infiniteguest » 28 Nov 2009, 21:29

TomBrend wrote:
infiniteguest wrote:I would go back to when I was in college and have gay sex with myself.

You need a new username... Infinite_Guest is way better than you.

Unrelated, back to the age old joke, is that incest or masturbation?

I had it first!
Unlucky

Postby Unlucky » 28 Nov 2009, 21:30

I wouldn't.

Everything bad in my life that's happened have either been completely unavoidable, out of my hands or I have bettered myself enormously as a person.

I....I really wish sometimes that there was some guarantee people I knew weren't reading these posts, y'know? I'd say so much more than I do.

If I didn't like my username so much, I'd think it time for a change to become truly anonymous again....yet, that destroys any and all emotional connection people have with my name.
Graham in a locked thread wrote:Think before you post.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 28 Nov 2009, 21:32

Kaemon
First Video: Too long ago to remember.

Postby Kaemon » 28 Nov 2009, 21:37

I'd probably go back to when I was rather young just to inform myself of some stupid things I'd do/not do...

But also go back 3 years ago and just see how the me from them reacted to such things as musical taste (Which is 100% different now) and all that....
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 28 Nov 2009, 22:26

Also, check out Replay by Kevin Grimwood.

40 someodd year old guy whose life is falling apart suddenly dies and wakes up as his 18 year old self in the late 50s.

It sounds like fun until it happens again.... and again....
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 28 Nov 2009, 22:45

This is something I've thought about a lot, and I think I'd rather be able to go back and have control of my young body instead of being an outside observer, since Young me would not listen to real me.

Anyway, the things I would try are too many to list.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 28 Nov 2009, 22:54

Alja-Markir wrote:Interesting constraints for time travel. Still...

...theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr. Samuel Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator...and vanished.
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 28 Nov 2009, 22:59

Wait can we travel multiple times? Because if we could, I'd have a lot of fun screwing with my own head.

Like once a month, I'd completely rearrange my furniture while my past self was at work.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑

Return to “General Discussion”