Back when I was your age...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Re: Back when I was your age...

Postby sdhonda » 29 Nov 2009, 22:31

AlexanderDitto wrote:
Tinasaur wrote:The thing I do hate with new technology is the stress it implements on society. Everything is supposed to go super fast nowadays and as far as I see it humans aren't built to last in this tempo for long. I know I don't.

This is the problem. It's not specifically about computers, or the fact that technology has made everything faster and easier and connected the world... it's that people have taken that as a signal that the world MUST go faster, that you have to cram your day with productivity and everyone must be instantly connected with everyone else and if you're not, you're to be chastised and shunned.

People are alternately shocked and annoyed when I tell them I don't get text messages, as though I'm some affront to their productivity.

I have half a mind to just shut it all down, lock up all my stuff, buy a typewriter, move to a flat near a library and do nothing but write and read for a few years, disappear for a while. Oh, sure, there'd still be debit cards and whatnot, conveniences of modern technology, but I think the real thing we've lost is the ability to slow down.

Good luck if the typewriter breaks down.
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 29 Nov 2009, 22:33

"with Gone With The Wind more than doubling it's $600 Mil. "

Yeah but Gone With The Wind was released in theaters multiple times, back before home viewing of movies was mainstream
Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 29 Nov 2009, 22:33

Father Time wrote:
Zed Alpha wrote:I miss Rugrats (GOOD Rugrats, before the second movie) and The Wild Thornberrys.

I always thought the rugrats went downhill after the first movie, when they introduced Dill, although adding Kim was just pushing it.

Nah. Dill was okay, in small doses. Kim added life to the series, but after the second movie they weren't even trying anymore as far as good scripts went.
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 29 Nov 2009, 22:36

As opposed to a hard drive malfunctioning?

The more technology you put in one place, the more things that can screw up.

Typewriter breaks down. Okay, depending on what it is, it's probably a simple fix. Your PC can get infected, the cooling system can fail and entire thing dies, the hard drives can hard fault, the OS can lock up, my Vista once lost the boot manager spontaneously and I had to format the whole disk, the lcd screen can have pixels die, the keyboard can short, a thunderstorm could wipe your whole system...
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 29 Nov 2009, 22:44

Arius wrote:As opposed to a hard drive malfunctioning?

The more technology you put in one place, the more things that can screw up.

Typewriter breaks down. Okay, depending on what it is, it's probably a simple fix. Your PC can get infected, the cooling system can fail and entire thing dies, the hard drives can hard fault, the OS can lock up, my Vista once lost the boot manager spontaneously and I had to format the whole disk, the lcd screen can have pixels die, the keyboard can short, a thunderstorm could wipe your whole system...

Yes, but the only thing that breaks down and is more or less irreplacable is the data.

Which can be backed up.

All of those things are indeed dangers (anything can break), and in computers, the machine is only as strong as its weakest part. Hell, my power supply randomly died for no fucking reason the other week ago after the power went out (despite the fact that my brothers and fathers machines, which are identical to mine, as kept in far worse/hot conditions).

But, and this was my point: If your computer breaks, aside from the data potentially, you can almost certainly get it fixed. Even if its an old machine.

But a typewriter, no. Theres no typewriter repairmen anymore, none that are easily contactable. Hell, few are manufactured anymore. And one of the few authors these days who uses one, Harlan Ellison, keeps a hoard of tape for his in a freezer, as you cannot buy the stuff anymore either.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Nov 2009, 22:58

I really miss just seeing kids on bikes, you know? Remember when you had your first ten-speed and you'd tape a hockey or baseball card into the spokes so it would buzz as you went. And you and your friends would rip around on the street pretending to be flying X-wings (never TIE fighters, natch).

Just... kids, these days, you know? 90% of the time they'll just be plopped on the couch texting on their GD crackberries. And parents, too. I mean, what happened to your Mom yelling at you from the back porch to come in when it got dark? Now kids can't even leave parents sight. "Oh! Someone might kidnap them" (nevermind that that almost NEVER happens). "Oh! They might cross the street and get hit by a car!" Then tell them to LOOK BOTH WAYS!

I really despair when I hear people say, "Oh, I couldn't survive without <x>", where x= the internet, texting, a mobile, whatever. I have a friend who gets by without a cell phone OR A LANDLINE! Yeah, you want to talk to him, you gotta drop by and have a beer... or call his girlfriend.

I don't know, I just hope that when I have kids, they come home covered in dirt and grinning.

Father Time

Postby Father Time » 29 Nov 2009, 23:00

"I really miss just seeing kids on bikes, you know? "
I still see those and my neighbors kids playing outside all the time.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 29 Nov 2009, 23:07

I think I may have been amoung the last generation of children in the western world to do that.

Yes, we played inside quite a bit, including alot of TV and video games (though usually in the morning, before our parents were up and it was warm outside), and we never did anything on the scale of, say, what happened in Stand by me, but we played outside quite a bit.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Nov 2009, 23:08

Father Time wrote:"I really miss just seeing kids on bikes, you know? "

Why is it that you seem to think this is an argument?
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 29 Nov 2009, 23:11

metcarfre wrote:I really miss just seeing kids on bikes, you know?\

We only had one bike. It was my sister's. We would play pac man with it. She would be pac man, and me and my cousin got to be ghosts. We had to chase her around. We were such fools when we were younger.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 29 Nov 2009, 23:14

My favourite was pine cone fights. And SUCh pine cone fights. We couldn't have, or afford, paintball or nerf guns, so we just threw pine cones. No goggles or anything!
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 29 Nov 2009, 23:14

I suppose it might also depend on the neighborhood.

Crime ridden inner city ghetto? Probably not.

Rural small town in middle America (or a warmer part of Canada) with lots of forest and rivers and lakes? Probabaly a bit.

I heard a theory the otherday suggesting that part of the reason why parents are so bat shit protective of their kids is because they only have one or two on average. When you have half a dozen, you can (with respect the difficulties and love in parenthood) take some risks with them.

It doesent help that there has been rise of sensationalist TV reports of child abductions and such over the last forty years. Nor the fact that if the parent was raised inside, they will probably raise their kids similarly.
Arius

Postby Arius » 29 Nov 2009, 23:21

metcarfre wrote:

This is the internet! A place for battles of epic proportions! A no holds barred match fit for only those who dare. You put your sanity on the line as you yell back and forth behind the confines of your keyboard.

The clicking of the keys mirror the sounds of swords clashing in this match that brings back memories of the ancient gladiators, batting for glory. No fear for the blood nor e-penis shed on this most daring of battlefields.

Google, your sword.
Logging out, your shield.

When the smoke clears and the bodies are dragged away, there can be only one winner. And, to be quite honest, if they've take the internet too seriously, it's also the loser, but still! Their crown of minor victory will reign supreme for about... thirty seconds.
Last edited by Arius on 29 Nov 2009, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 29 Nov 2009, 23:22

metcarfre wrote:

Wait your post qualified as an argument? What's wrong with countering one anecdotal err tale with another?
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 29 Nov 2009, 23:23

This is the internet! A place for battles of epic proportions! A no holds barred match fit for only those who dare. You put your sanity on the line as you yell back and forth behind the confines of your keyboard.

The clicking of the keys mirror the sounds of swords clashing in this match that brings back memories of the ancient gladiators, batting for glory. No fear for the blood nor e-penis shed on this most daring of battlefields.

Google, your sword.

When the moke clears and the bodies are dragged away, there can be only one winner. Ad, to be quite honest, if you take the internet too seriously, it's also the loser, but still! His crown of minor victory will reign supreme forabout thirty seconds.

............. Imma have to add that to my quote index............
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 29 Nov 2009, 23:23

metcarfre wrote:My favourite was pine cone fights. And SUCh pine cone fights. We couldn't have, or afford, paintball or nerf guns, so we just threw pine cones. No goggles or anything!

Right!?

We also used to go "fishing." We'd break the ends of pine tree branches off as the fish. Then, we'd take the string out of our socks (this makes parents mad, fyi) and tie that to a stick. We'd throw the "fish" in the "river" and "cast" our "lines" out. The string got caught in the pine needles, and we'd catch a fish.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 29 Nov 2009, 23:27

Arius wrote:
metcarfre wrote:

Google, your sword.

When the smoke clears and the bodies are dragged away, there can be only one winner. And, to be quite honest, if they've take the internet too seriously, it's also the loser, but still! Their crown of minor victory will reign supreme for about... thirty seconds.

Debates are like merry go rounds. Two people take their positions then they go through the same points over and over and over again. Then it stops and they have the same positions they started with. Only difference is that merry go rounds are generally fun and entertaining.

When debating on the internet this phenomenon is merely strengthened.

Oh and stop talking about epic coliseum battles, unless you have something big prepared.
Arius

Postby Arius » 29 Nov 2009, 23:29

Bah! Damnedable mobile. So many typos. I couldn't see my text for half of that post.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Nov 2009, 08:33

metcarfre wrote:My favourite was pine cone fights. And SUCh pine cone fights. We couldn't have, or afford, paintball or nerf guns, so we just threw pine cones. No goggles or anything!

Ah, those were the days. With a tree as your fort, betrayal at every turn, and hands rubbed raw, your only grip coming from the stickiness of sap. My friends and I still did that occasionally in high school, before we drifted apart.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 30 Nov 2009, 08:55

Pine cones?

Ha, real men threw chest nuts. The kind with the spiked shells.
LadyNyx
First Video: The Trouble with Scribbles

Postby LadyNyx » 30 Nov 2009, 09:04

Chest nuts? Bah. I threw small logs. If you were up the hill from someone, it was alot easier after the initial lift. Caught my brother in the head a couple times. Funnily enough, I never caused any of his stitches.

My favourite thing was to play dinosaur. I was convinced that becoming a velociraptor would be the best job ever as a grown-up. Sadly, I have yet to become a dinosaur of any kind. :(
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Nov 2009, 09:08

There are parts of the internet that specialize in that kind of thing, you know......
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
LadyNyx
First Video: The Trouble with Scribbles

Postby LadyNyx » 30 Nov 2009, 09:11

I grew out of it right around the time my father looked at me and said "You don't honestly belive in Santa, do you?"

I was 8. >_<
Dark the Reaper
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Postby Dark the Reaper » 30 Nov 2009, 09:24

I miss getting to the fourth zone on Sonic 2 and thinking that was a big accomplishment
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 30 Nov 2009, 09:28

I miss quality newspaper comics. I think they were the first true casualty of the internet.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site

Return to “General Discussion”