The Big Relationship Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Re: The Big Relationship Thread

Postby TomBrend » 01 Dec 2009, 09:24

Kara wrote:Okay. Question to the thread.

How soon is too soon to let someone try to court you a bit in a relationship after a break up? There's a guy that I've known for about a year who has been fiercely flirting with me lately, and I'm not opposed to it. I'm over my ex, but I feel like it's a pretty douchey/slutty thing to do to let this other guy be all over me when I'm only a month out of a relationship (mind you I've had a bit of rebounding, but I wouldn't want this to just be a stupid rebound thing).
Opinions?

A month is fine if you are over your ex. If someone calls you a slut, kick them in the crotch. Fuck them.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 01 Dec 2009, 09:28

manika wrote:since this is all about sharing:

i've been hanging out more with a friend lately and during that time I kinda started having a crush/developing feelings, whatever you want to call it. Now obviously, I've known her for long enough, so yes, I'm already way too deep in the friends zone. now question/advice/opinions, should I try to ask her out anyway? The problem is, that unless somebody says 'I want to be more than just friends' I don't get any subtle hints, so I assume there aren't any and she probably doesn't feel the same about me (yes, I'm always that confident when it comes to relationship things that include me ;-) )
So pros and cons
pro: if I did, I knew for sure and could start to get over it (I'm good at getting over it, lots of practice)
con: it'd make being friends 'weird' for some time at the very least

any opinions?

until Sunday i was is a very similar situation. now i have a girlfriend.

ask. her. out.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 01 Dec 2009, 09:33

TomBrend wrote:If someone calls you a slut, kick them in the crotch. Fuck them.

Yes, this will prove that you aren't sexually promiscuous.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 01 Dec 2009, 09:33

Dammit Dave! I was just about to point that out!
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Dec 2009, 09:46

I'm so tired of courage wolf.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 01 Dec 2009, 10:01

My love life is currently happy.If a little distant...
Perianth St. Claire

Postby Perianth St. Claire » 01 Dec 2009, 10:04

how can you ever be tired of courage wolf? that would indicate that you are tired of being courageous.

anyway, kara, i don't think a month is too short especially if YOU thnk you are ready. if you like the guy, you can't help the way you feel so you should go for it and not miss out on an opportunity.

my friend was going out with someone for 2 years when that person broke up with her. about a week or two later she met someone that she was fiercely attracted to and started going out with her. they've been going out for over a year now and are very happy.
Это курам на смех!
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 01 Dec 2009, 10:10

I think how long should be waited between relationships really varies on the situation. My first relationship was 3 years long, and I needed a good 6+ months to recover from that. But if you've dated a few people before, and the previous relationship wasn't that long, or really heavily involved, 1 month is pretty fine I think.

I'll be seeing that cute girl tomorrow probably. I'm going to try to be a little flirty, and see how it feels. She's very very cute, but I'm still judging my own interest at this point.
#TeamKroze
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Dec 2009, 10:12

Courage wolf is simply overplayed to me. Of late I've been inspired by William Ernest Henley's "Invictus", and especially its relation to Nelson Mandela;

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as a Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

(Emphasis mine)
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 01 Dec 2009, 13:57

Dave-O_Boy wrote:

Okay... being "sexually promiscuous" by high school standards imposed on girls is fucking ABSURD. Society is a bunch of bullshit and fuck them.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 01 Dec 2009, 14:16

Digital Dolphin wrote:
epocalypse wrote:Me, I just try to avoid it all, or at least actively don't look for it; because I know either way I'll meet a girl, start hanging out with her (cause I'm an idiot and I look for friends first, lovers second) and the second I realize I've fallen into the trap again and get up the courage to try to push it to next level is the second twelve hours before she tells me she's finally found somebody and started seeing them. However, this happens to me with such frequency I have managed to raise to an art form the act of confessing love to my best friend knowing she will/must/in all likelihood will reject me, and having our relationship remain unchanged/get closer. I only ever want to go out with people I love and care about (and find beautiful to look at), and that usually tends to be my closest female friend. However, I refuse to lose them as a friend just cause they might not want to go out with me, because they still tend to be my some of my best friends, and they still tend to be pretty to look at, and for everything else, there's the internet. Still, I do kind of stay up at nights asking myself "Why are you so consistently an idiot?"

This describes a lot of my past fails at starting a relationship. I seem to have perfected being some sort of super best-friend-only person to women. I mean, I love my best friends that are ladies, and I'd rather have them in my life as best friends than not in my life at all... but there are times when I just want to say "screw it" and do something completely irrational. Like try to turn myself into an asshole (since far too many intelligent women seem to have a soft spot for assholes I've noticed), or ditch EVERYONE and just leave for somewhere else without warning. Not that it'd likely be better anywhere else, but it'd feel a lot like wiping the slate clean.

I'm sure I'd never do anything like that of course, but I do get rather frustrated with the opposite sex on occasion.

I understand how you feel (especially about the asshole bit, but I won't go into how avidly I know that), but for me the one big difference is that my life has been defined by moving (I live an average of about 2 years in one house, 3 in one greater metropolitan area before moving on) So I make really strong connections with people that I refuse to let die, cause otherwise I feel like I'd lose everything and everyone. I never get the urge to move because moving is just a facet of my life.

One of my friends in High School (still friends to this day, despite his veganism) put it that once someone is my friend, they're not getting out of it. I might drop off the map for months or even up to a year for someone, but If they need me, I'm there. The other issue for me is that I'm very reluctant to start dating relationships with people, cause I have a deep seated delusional belief that my efforts to protect them inevitably backfire, causing severe emotional trauma. So, as such, I stick to very strong "It's complicated" style relationships where people don't really know much except that I'm really close to a girl, and she's really close to me. I'm so tired of telling people that "So-n-so" is not my girlfriend, though, cause I'd like her to be, but that's not what whatever we have is going to be right now. If anything, I'm actively avoiding any kind of relationship at the moment, because I'm about to flip coasts in five or six months, and if there's one thing I've learned it's that starting a long distance relationship is always volatile.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 01 Dec 2009, 15:25

Still no sign of her today. My brain, it is annoying me with it's worrying-ness. It makes it worse that we really don't have time to hang out IRL at the moment.

DAMMIT ME, STOP OVERTHINKING SHIT!
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 01 Dec 2009, 16:11

Arius wrote:How much do you want to bet that tomorrow I'll go to class and the girl will be absent?

Called it!
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
infinite_guest

Postby infinite_guest » 01 Dec 2009, 16:14

TomBrend wrote:
Dave-O_Boy wrote:

Okay... being "sexually promiscuous" by high school standards imposed on girls is fucking ABSURD. Society is a bunch of bullshit and fuck them.

I think he was talking about "fuck them" in the sense of "have sex with them" instead of what you meant, which was "they can go fuck themselves."
Longwood: Location of Harvard Medical School where evil mad scientists and Jews create transgenic monsters.
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 01 Dec 2009, 16:36

Or in other words "English is fun"
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Dec 2009, 17:13

So without somehow managing to get in touch with the two girls that are currently ignoring all communication with me, I have one (Well, two) last options in my current dating "open" list.

The only one of those I'll talk about though is Steph from 4 doors down the street. I'm not sure if that wavers on the HIMYM "Don't poop where you eat" clause, but I also haven't had much chance to talk to her (Which is wierd because she's right there, 4 doors down) and would like to get to know her better and one thing I have learned is that dinner or something is a good way to do so.

But as I haven't talked to her much except for the odd crossing in the street I'm not sure how compatible we really are, only that we're approximately in the same position with our housemates, the seemingly-most-sane-person who doesn't dislike her housemates but probably wouldn't choose them a second time.

I also don't actually know if she's seeing anyone currently, so I'd actually have to ask her that before asking her out.

So...verdict anyone? Do I chance it?
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 01 Dec 2009, 17:52

Unless you live in the same house the clause does not apply.

I almost feel like bringing up my "Awkward Life" thesis.
Dave-O_Boy

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 01 Dec 2009, 17:56

I say try to get to know her. Maybe you'll at least find a new friend, yes?
Arius

Postby Arius » 01 Dec 2009, 17:58

Knock on her door, tell her your penis is wanted by the cops and needs somewhere to hide.

Or, just talk to her.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
LadyNyx
First Video: The Trouble with Scribbles

Postby LadyNyx » 01 Dec 2009, 17:59

Talking is a good idea. Simple and direct. Worst that could happen is she ignores you but that's unlikely.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Dec 2009, 18:10

LadyNyx wrote:Talking is a good idea. Simple and direct. Worst that could happen is she ignores you but that's unlikely.

And yet, the previous two girls...
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Arius

Postby Arius » 01 Dec 2009, 18:13

Tim, watching her without talking to her is a lot creepier...

At least strike up a conversation.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 01 Dec 2009, 18:16

Lyinginbedmon wrote:
LadyNyx wrote:Talking is a good idea. Simple and direct. Worst that could happen is she ignores you but that's unlikely.

And yet, the previous two girls...

well, there is always arius's other option, but that's more of a comedy prop.

Ask out to lunch, or even just strike up a casual conversation to see if there's anything to it.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
OMGItsSarah
First Video: Offensisensitivity

Postby OMGItsSarah » 01 Dec 2009, 19:54

Theremin wrote:My love life is currently happy.If a little distant...

What do you know, so is mine!
TomBrend

Postby TomBrend » 01 Dec 2009, 19:55

OMGItsSarah wrote:
Theremin wrote:My love life is currently happy.If a little distant...

What do you know, so is mine!

Can we make a "HAPPY relationship thread"? Like this one is for people who need advice/ want to give advice, and then another thread for "siiiighhh... my SO is awesome."

Return to “General Discussion”