Brain Hurts... But Magenta Doesn't Exist

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Brain Hurts... But Magenta Doesn't Exist

Postby Arius » 10 Dec 2009, 23:48

http://www.null-hypothesis.co.uk/science/strange-but-true/profs-probings/colour_spectrum_magenta_complimentary_bizarre

So what does the brain do when our eyes detect wavelengths from both ends of the light spectrum at once (i.e. red and violet light)? Generally speaking, it has two options for interpreting the input data:

a) Sum the input responses to produce a colour halfway between red and violet in the spectrum (which would in this case produce green – not a very representative colour of a red and violet mix)
b) Invent a new colour halfway between red and violet

Magenta is the evidence that the brain takes option b – it has apparently constructed a colour to bridge the gap between red and violet, because such a colour does not exist in the light spectrum. Magenta has no wavelength attributed to it, unlike all the other spectrum colours.

tl;dr

The brain interprets colour mixes by their wavelength. Magenta (pink) doesn't exist in the visible light spectrum. The brain invents it to stand in for a red-violet mix.

still tl;dr
Pink doesn't exist.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Re: Brain Hurts... But Magenta Doesn't Exist

Postby the amativeness » 11 Dec 2009, 00:32

Arius wrote:Pink doesn't exist.

Tell that to Kate. And Evil Jim.
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 11 Dec 2009, 00:40

Arius wrote:still tl;dr
Pink doesn't exist.

Somthin' wrong wit' yo eyes, brotha.

Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Arius

Postby Arius » 11 Dec 2009, 00:50

Evil Jim wrote:
Pink doesn't exist.

H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 11 Dec 2009, 01:02

Man, you were just lazy.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Dec 2009, 01:03

Arius wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:
Pink doesn't exist.

Yahtzee on an acid trip?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Arius

Postby Arius » 11 Dec 2009, 01:06

Gordon Fearman wrote:Man, you were just lazy.

It's 4 am, what do you want from me?
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 11 Dec 2009, 05:39

Arius wrote:The brain interprets colour mixes by their wavelength. Magenta (pink) doesn't exist in the visible light spectrum. The brain invents it to stand in for a red-violet mix.

still tl;dr
Pink doesn't exist.

Okay... this here, is stupid. Magenta (which is NOT pink) is an additive secondary color (subtractive primary). It is a mix of Blue and Red, just like Yellow (yes, Yellow) is a mix of Green and Red, and Cyan is a mix of Green and Blue. The only "actual colors" of light are Red, Green, and Blue (RGB Anyone?) The mixing of which can create all other color variants that are humanly visible. The others simple appear on a regular light spectrum because their Primaries appear to mix to the human eye. Interestingly, the Subtractive Primaries (CMY, and guess what they stand for) Can be mixed to create every visible color as well, which is why kids today longer get taught the atrocity of red, blue and yellow being primary colors. This is just a gross misinterpretation of color science. It's like people who don't realize that Black, Gray and White aren't not colors because they don't exist, but because their Gradations of Brightness.

Now, if you want a real mindfutzing, how about the point that there may not be fundamental colors at all.

Pink, however, a series of bright gradations of red and magenta that are easily confused, does not exist. It is the equivalent of an irrational number, and it's inability to be clearly expressed as a fraction is proof of this. I mean, duh people.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Arius

Postby Arius » 11 Dec 2009, 05:42

epocalypse wrote:
Arius wrote:The brain interprets colour mixes by their wavelength. Magenta (pink) doesn't exist in the visible light spectrum. The brain invents it to stand in for a red-violet mix.

still tl;dr
Pink doesn't exist.

Okay... this here, is stupid. Magenta (which is NOT pink)

Magenta is the official name for pink.

---

And as for the rest of it, the way they measure it is the wavelength. Magenta is the only colour in the visible spectrum without any wavelength whatsoever.
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 11 Dec 2009, 05:46

then why do they have... SEPARATE WIKIPEDIA PAGES!?!?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magenta

Your move, Arius! Choose Wisely.
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Arius

Postby Arius » 11 Dec 2009, 05:48

Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr. have separate Wikipedia pages.

And I dare you to prove that he's not really Iron Man. I mean come on, substance abuse, loose women, hyper advanced exo-suits. They share all the same things.
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 11 Dec 2009, 05:51

Arius wrote:Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr. have separate Wikipedia pages.

And I dare you to prove that he's not really Iron Man. I mean come on, substance abuse, loose women, hyper advanced exo-suits. They share all the same things.

Uh, Arius, actors are not actually the characters they portray in films (except for Sir Sean Connery, of course). I know, I was shocked too.

I like this discussion, it's silly.
my personal site
Arius

Postby Arius » 11 Dec 2009, 05:55

Robert Downey Jr isn't an actor.

Now, Johnny Depp, that's an actor.
manika

Postby manika » 11 Dec 2009, 05:56

somehow I expected to get to the wikipedia page about Pink, not about some diferent shades of magenta, rose, light red, or whatever it want's to be called ;-) (i know, cheap joke, but I couldn't resist)

epocalypse wrote:Okay... this here, is stupid. Magenta (which is NOT pink)

Magenta is not what is called Magenta using wikipedia's hex triplets though.

anyways: about that hurting brain, I know some people and all they wanna do is eat.. ok, i'll stop now and won't post anymore until I got some sleep.
All suspects are guilty. Period! Otherwise they wouldn't be suspects, would they?
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 11 Dec 2009, 06:14

epocalypse wrote:The only "actual colors" of light are Red, Green, and Blue (RGB Anyone?) The mixing of which can create all other color variants that are humanly visible. The others simple appear on a regular light spectrum because their Primaries appear to mix to the human eye.

Uh, no. You're confusing human perception of light color with the physical characteristic of light that gives it its color. Red, Green, and Blue are the only vectors along which the cones in our eyes can measure light. That doesn't mean yellow light is doesn't exist: yellow light has a specific wavelength: 570–580 nm. It's just our eyes are able to interpret it because it activates the Long and Medium length cones (red and green respectively) about equally, which "mixes" to yellow.

When light mixes, its wavelength doesn't change. It's just... you have waves of two different wavelengths. Unless you have interference, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

epocalypse wrote:Pink, however, a series of bright gradations of red and magenta that are easily confused, does not exist. It is the equivalent of an irrational number, and it's inability to be clearly expressed as a fraction is proof of this. I mean, duh people.

Uh, what? The comparison to irrational numbers is, I think, not really apt. I think the point is that magenta is "extra-spectral;" that is, it's can't be produced with a single wavelength of light, like colors in the spectrum can (rainbow colors). Pink AND various shades of purple (including magenta) share this property. The brain can interpret them because it has the ability to interpret a mixture of different wavelengths (long and short, as the article points out) as not simply the average of the wavelengths but as a new color entirely.
masamune
First Video: -

Postby masamune » 11 Dec 2009, 06:19

this thread is great.
Kaemon
First Video: Too long ago to remember.

Postby Kaemon » 11 Dec 2009, 06:23

This is... interesting, and the discussion is a well.

But just the idea of it is amazing... I still wouldn't say it doesn't exist, but its definitely not normal.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 11 Dec 2009, 06:33

White, gray, black, and brown are not single wavelengths either.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 11 Dec 2009, 06:34

I think we can safely file this one under the same heading as how one does not equal one.
Nothing to see here.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 11 Dec 2009, 06:43

Are we arguing over color swatches? SERIOUSLY??
Arius

Postby Arius » 11 Dec 2009, 06:49

Lord Chrusher wrote:White, gray, black, and brown are not single wavelengths either.

The thing is, when you mix red and violet wavelengths, you should get green based on the wavelengths. When you have all the wavelengths, you get white. When you have green and red wavelengths mixed, you get yellow. When you have no wavelengths, you get black. Brown is from multiple wavelengths.

Magenta is from red and violet and as far as the visible spectrum is concerned, it's green. However, the brain processes it as magenta because as far as it's concerned, green doesn't fit.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 11 Dec 2009, 06:52

tak197 wrote:Are we arguing over color swatches? SERIOUSLY??

Yes.
Because this is an important decision and if you can't even commit to this... you know what, we're not having this argument in Homebase. God.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
manika

Postby manika » 11 Dec 2009, 06:53

Arius wrote:still
Pink doesn't exist.

I think, green fits as well. Damn you eyes !
All suspects are guilty. Period! Otherwise they wouldn't be suspects, would they?
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 11 Dec 2009, 07:00

AlexanderDitto wrote:
epocalypse wrote:The only "actual colors" of light are Red, Green, and Blue (RGB Anyone?) The mixing of which can create all other color variants that are humanly visible. The others simple appear on a regular light spectrum because their Primaries appear to mix to the human eye.

Uh, no. You're confusing human perception of light color with the physical characteristic of light that gives it its color. Red, Green, and Blue are the only vectors along which the cones in our eyes can measure light. That doesn't mean yellow light is doesn't exist: yellow light has a specific wavelength: 570–580 nm. It's just our eyes are able to interpret it because it activates the Long and Medium length cones (red and green respectively) about equally, which "mixes" to yellow.

When light mixes, its wavelength doesn't change. It's just... you have waves of two different wavelengths. Unless you have interference, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

epocalypse wrote:Pink, however, a series of bright gradations of red and magenta that are easily confused, does not exist. It is the equivalent of an irrational number, and it's inability to be clearly expressed as a fraction is proof of this. I mean, duh people.

Uh, what? The comparison to irrational numbers is, I think, not really apt. I think the point is that magenta is "extra-spectral;" that is, it's can't be produced with a single wavelength of light, like colors in the spectrum can (rainbow colors). Pink AND various shades of purple (including magenta) share this property. The brain can interpret them because it has the ability to interpret a mixture of different wavelengths (long and short, as the article points out) as not simply the average of the wavelengths but as a new color entirely.

let me put it this way, though I subscribe to the color theory that colors are the perceptual correlates of light and not the wave, I did phrase it in a way where I admit, I was wrong. You got me. However, on the second half, I got you.
my personal site
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 11 Dec 2009, 07:36

manika wrote:somehow I expected to get to the wikipedia page about Pink, not about some diferent shades of magenta, rose, light red, or whatever it want's to be called ;-) (i know, cheap joke, but I couldn't resist)

epocalypse wrote:Okay... this here, is stupid. Magenta (which is NOT pink)

Magenta is not what is called Magenta using wikipedia's hex triplets though.

anyways: about that hurting brain, I know some people and all they wanna do is eat.. ok, i'll stop now and won't post anymore until I got some sleep.

Also remember that CYMK and RGB versions are completely different. RGB for colours on screen, CYMK for colours on paper.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.

Return to “General Discussion”