A Question for Jer

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Niko88

A Question for Jer

Postby Niko88 » 14 Dec 2009, 20:58

How do I too corrupt my girlfriend into the world of D&D? She likes to read so I was thinking about using the Dragon Lance books to get her. Any suggestions?
Why do I love the blinking street lights so much?
Lorithad

Re: A Question for Jer

Postby Lorithad » 14 Dec 2009, 21:02

I don't really think this needs to be specifically answered by Jer. Anybody who plays D&D might be able to offer some advice. Mine would be to try and get her to sit on a session. Or to try a one shot game. Not necessarily in the D&D universe either. Get her to try any RP system. Once she's tried one, she might not be as opposed to trying D&D
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 14 Dec 2009, 21:05

this...thisthisthis!!
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 14 Dec 2009, 21:25

Ninja, aren't you already "married"? Why do you need to corrupt her further? Also, make her listen to our DnD recording, it's...retarded.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 14 Dec 2009, 22:37

Gordon Fearman wrote:Ninja, aren't you already "married"? Why do you need to corrupt her further? Also, make her listen to our DnD recording, it's...retarded.

wait what? when did this happen?
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 14 Dec 2009, 22:56

If you start with RP in the bedroom, everything else is kosher from there.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 14 Dec 2009, 22:58

Lorithad wrote:I don't really think this needs to be specifically answered by Jer. Anybody who plays D&D might be able to offer some advice. Mine would be to try and get her to sit on a session. Or to try a one shot game. Not necessarily in the D&D universe either. Get her to try any RP system. Once she's tried one, she might not be as opposed to trying D&D

I'm sorry, but based on previous experience this can most definitely NOT be addressed by anyone who plays D&D, but I'd say an elite few like Jer.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 14 Dec 2009, 23:22

gcninja wrote:
Gordon Fearman wrote:Ninja, aren't you already "married"? Why do you need to corrupt her further? Also, make her listen to our DnD recording, it's...retarded.

wait what? when did this happen?

Which part?
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

Niko88

Postby Niko88 » 14 Dec 2009, 23:22

Perhaps I shouldn't ask Jer but instead ask Tally
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 15 Dec 2009, 00:08

The best ones corrupt themselves.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 15 Dec 2009, 01:02

Arius wrote:The best ones corrupt themselves.

I prefer them pre-corrupted out the box. Then you don't have to waste time with all the set-up and maintenance.
Nothing to see here.
Niko88

Postby Niko88 » 15 Dec 2009, 01:37

Machalllewis wrote:

I prefer them pre-corrupted out the box. Then you don't have to waste time with all the set-up and maintenance.

Making them is half the fun!
Murakami
First Video: Time is Money

Postby Murakami » 15 Dec 2009, 08:26

Maybe certain qualities are to be looked for in a possible girlfriend that would make her more suitable/subjectable for/to corruption.

Please,

do not quote that out of context.
Arius wrote:De Nederlanders vallen binnen!
Shinoki
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Shinoki » 15 Dec 2009, 09:19

QFT! One of my friends (and possibly more)... has basically corrupted herself. She's a huge sci-fi / fantasy geek and she's read R.A. Salvatore and such. So when I brought up D&D a couple weeks ago she asked me if I could teach her. The answer was "hell yes". Now I just need to find a few more people for a campaign.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 17 Dec 2009, 12:39

Hey Niko88, I've told Jer to get in here and reply, but I have a couple comments myself.

When Jeremy and I started dating he started (well, after a few months) telling me about his games. Not "then we did 2d6 points of fire damage to the giant animated pudding while flanking" because that wouldn't have been interesting to me. But he started telling me about this campaign of his and all the back story, the political upheaval, the personal lives of all the PCs and how they all behaved, etc. It was kind of like reading a fantasy novel, and I grew up on fantasy novels, so it was right up my alley. My personal recollection of events is that this storytelling led slowly but surely to me one day saying, "y'know, I think I'd like to try this..."

Dunno if that would work for you, but it could be worth trying. As long as you gear the method of storytelling towards her general tastes, it shouldn't bore her and may even pique her interest.

And it's true that we kind of corrupt ourselves, if interested. I mean, I think Jeremy merely showed me the box art for Oblivion and then I basically took over his Xbox for several months and taught myself dual analog controls just b/c I loved it and wanted to play it. It makes a big difference already being into the fantasy genre in general, I think. Having read Robin McKinley, JRR Tolkien, Tamora Pierce, Diana Wynne Jones etc. all my life, it was a natural progression to play games where these worlds came so visually to life. (I mention all this b/c Oblivion came before my D&D intro, and clearly demonstrated to Jeremy that he might be able to get me into such things.)

Oh, one other very important factor. Two things were always clear to me from the way Jeremy talked to me about video games, D&D and geeky stuff in general:

1) He loved this stuff and it was a huge part of his life, and he wanted to share these things with me because he thought they were good and fun and because he wanted me to be part of his life.

2) He also wanted to share these things with me because he genuinely believed that I might enjoy them, and he wanted to see me happy and experiencing and enjoying new things.

That may seem cheesy and obvious, but getting those vibes off of someone who's trying to introduce you to new things makes a huge difference in the way you respond.
Niko88

Postby Niko88 » 17 Dec 2009, 15:26

On the upside we have some good stories going on in our campaign. Thanks for the insight
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 17 Dec 2009, 16:02

The campaign I'm playing in involves us stealing armour and everburning torches. If I told a girl that she might think I'm demented.

DmitriW
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby DmitriW » 17 Dec 2009, 16:11

Gordon Fearman wrote:The campaign I'm playing in involves us stealing armour and everburning torches. If I told a girl that she might think I'm awesome.

Fixed. ;)
Consider this signature a museum piece, since I love it and am unlikely to change it ever.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Dec 2009, 16:15

No...we pretty much think he's demented.

He forced us to drag...30 full suits of leather armor across a MASSIVE TUNDRA.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 17 Dec 2009, 16:19

Geek is in now.

Really.

I guess girls realized that the fact their boyfriends played varsity football in high school isn't really a big factor when it comes to providing for them.

Also, have you looked at the Post Your Pictures thread? Geeks are hot.

So, there's a pretty good chance that any girl you meet will be a geek anyway.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Dec 2009, 16:22

Arius wrote:Geek is in now.

See Hot Topic...They got awesome geek shirts.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Gordon Fearman

Postby Gordon Fearman » 17 Dec 2009, 16:28

theDreamer wrote:No...we pretty much think he's demented.

He forced us to drag...30 full suits of leather armor across a MASSIVE TUNDRA.

And I intended to have us drag them over the zarking Spine of the World.

operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 18 Dec 2009, 04:38

Edit: yeah, this no longer applies to this thread.

Return to “General Discussion”