Serious Thread Discourse: Alcohol

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Murakami
First Video: Time is Money

Re: Serious Thread Discourse: Alcohol

Postby Murakami » 16 Dec 2009, 06:37

Fine Cigars and Whisky (Scotch, haven't tried that much bourbon but I did not like the ones I tried). Liked them the moment I tried. They're too good to pass up on. I just love the taste and love enjoying them with friends. Occasionally.
O and good beer! I love that Holland has a higher standard in beer (lager).

Gordon Fearman wrote:Anyway, I think you're all missing at least some of the point of a dry campus. Sure, it may not help stop college students from drinking, but it does show everyone that they have that intention.

I don't really know if there's such a thing as a dry campus in the Netherlands.
Anyway, what Fearman said got me thinking. If a soon-to-be student would like to study in a low-alcohol environment, wouldn't he be more likely to find this at a dry campus? I could see people who would really like to do so all going to a dry campus.
Arius wrote:De Nederlanders vallen binnen!
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 16 Dec 2009, 06:57

Around here at least, drinking is really only a "public" thing on weekends. The rest of the week, when people drink they do it quietly, and generally in their rooms. For me (since I do most of my drinking off-campus anyways), the only difference on a "dry" campus would be less stuff to laugh at on a Friday night ("I'M THE REPTILE KING!" still cracks me up). Oh, and the inability to finish off a hard night of studying with a couple beers with some friends over some cards before heading off to sleep.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 16 Dec 2009, 07:08

I'm not a drinker really... but if I did I would drink to enjoy, dark beers, scotch, and gin (preferably in a martini) are my prefered drink. I'm currently living on a dry campus and it really doesn't effect to many of the residence as the majority of the on-campus student population is under 21. I prefer it because it does supress some of the drinking that would normally take place.
Responsible drinking is always important!
^( " )^
winner!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 16 Dec 2009, 07:56

Drinking age being 21 down there still boggles my mind. I mean, how does anyone seriously expect that to work?
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 16 Dec 2009, 08:07

I dunno I still support it, sort of... The main arguement being at the age of 18-24 your brain is still developing, drinking at this age heavily can hinder brain development... Otherwise, I can't really argue against it.
^( " )^
winner!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 16 Dec 2009, 08:11

The idea of being able to vote, but not whilst drunk, is retarded.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 16 Dec 2009, 08:17

By the time you're 21, you can vote, drive, and serve in the armed forces. All things arguably more dangerous than drinking. I much prefer the 18-19 here in Canada. It has the about the same direct effect as having the drinking age at 21 in keeping alcohol out of high schools, but makes it less taboo, so kids won't go out of their way as much to try some.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 16 Dec 2009, 08:20

I preferred Germany, where it's 12 if you're with your parents.

Everybody I met there seemed to have much more healthy attitudes towards alcohol. There were actually a lot of teetolers, of course, but most people just seemed to enjoy having a drink or two with friends.

And of course, German booze is cheap, delicious, and plentiful. It's the ice cream that'll get you.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 16 Dec 2009, 08:50

Dubious_wolf wrote:I dunno I still support it, sort of... The main arguement being at the age of 18-24 your brain is still developing, drinking at this age heavily can hinder brain development... Otherwise, I can't really argue against it.

and clearly the rapid decline of mental faculties as compared to the US among the populations of countries with a lower drinking age is proof of this...

Oh wait.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Dubious_wolf

Postby Dubious_wolf » 16 Dec 2009, 10:48

You know Matt I'm going to do some research on this. Just to see if I can make you eat your sarcastic words.
^( " )^
winner!
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 16 Dec 2009, 12:32

:p

-m

I am not angry at you.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 16 Dec 2009, 12:35

Master Gunner wrote:Drinking age being 21 down there still boggles my mind. I mean, how does anyone seriously expect that to work?

ah, it doesn't. and there you go. It should be younger so that teenagers can learn under parental guidance. (I agree with that side of the thread)

Matt wrote::p

-m

indeed.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Trisha Lynn
First Video: Can't remember

Postby Trisha Lynn » 16 Dec 2009, 16:26

Drink to enjoy; however, I have learned the very hard way that I do have problems with when I choose to drink.

In short, I have learned that I cannot drink when I'm upset/angry/mad/sad/lonely and considering that lately, I am often a combination of those things, I don't drink nearly as often as I used to.

In the 9 years since I started finding my tolerance for alcohol, I've also learned that I can't drink gin, whiskey, Jaeger, some tequilas, probably bourbon, and Scotch anymore. Red wine is allowable in small doses because I'm susceptible to tanin headaches, lighter beers are better than darker ones—except stouts and Guinness, which gets its own category—I can never drink on an empty stomach, and yet I'm still able to down four dirty vodka martinis in two hours and not get a hangover. Hooray for the office party open bar!

I used to drink for effect and other non-healthy reasons. Now, I drink to be social, because I like the taste, and finally way down at the end, for the effect.

If I ever have kids or become a major influence in someone else's kid's life, I'm going to let them know that just like owning a gun, having sex, and driving a car, being able to drink alcohol is something that should be taken as a serious responsibility.

Trisha Lynn
...ooh, that almost got Orwellian...
Publisher/Editor, GeekingOutAbout.com
http://www.geekingoutabout.com
On Twitter: @trishalynn
On Twitch and the LRRCraft server: cattleprodlynn
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 16 Dec 2009, 17:10

metcarfre wrote:I preferred Germany, where it's 12 if you're with your parents.

Everybody I met there seemed to have much more healthy attitudes towards alcohol. There were actually a lot of teetolers, of course, but most people just seemed to enjoy having a drink or two with friends.

And of course, German booze is cheap, delicious, and plentiful. It's the ice cream that'll get you.

As far as I know, there's no drinking age in Hong Kong.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
MarkVI
First Video: iPhone Alternative

Postby MarkVI » 16 Dec 2009, 20:45

In China there is no drinking age. They also have a lot of different kinds of super cheap but bad tasting liquor. You can get 100 mL of 56% Erguotou for about $1 USD. Even better, you can drink in public, which could make Christmas shopping actually fun.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 16 Dec 2009, 21:41

Matt wrote:and clearly the rapid decline of mental faculties as compared to the US among the populations of countries with a lower drinking age is proof of this...

Oh wait.

-m

Now hold on! Our rapidly declning mental fautlies are because of the imported good e get from your contries, sshat!

(Never have I been so happy that my computer keyboard cuts out keystrokes. I see no need to edit this, it gets my point across perfectly.)
-Geoff-

Postby -Geoff- » 16 Dec 2009, 22:26

As for comments about relying on chemical crutches to deal with ones mood, while I'm sure that they apply for some people, I don't think it makes sense to argue that a high level of personal control eliminates benefits of drinking in moderation. I meditate regularly and am perfectly capable of relaxing on my own, but I still really enjoy drinking a well brewed beer while hanging out with friends. Rather than using alcohol to feel better when you are low, it can be a finishing touch on a good mood. Same goes for other substances.

Also, IPAs are delicious. Have you tried Hop-Head or Red Racer IPA? (British Columbians)
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 16 Dec 2009, 22:44

Red racer is fucking vile.

-m

I am not angry at you.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 16 Dec 2009, 22:48

tak197 wrote:
Matt wrote:and clearly the rapid decline of mental faculties as compared to the US among the populations of countries with a lower drinking age is proof of this...

Oh wait.

-m

Now hold on! Our rapidly declning mental fautlies are because of the imported good e get from your contries, sshat!

(Never have I been so happy that my computer keyboard cuts out keystrokes. I see no need to edit this, it gets my point across perfectly.)

This made the thread. I am missing several buttons from my keyboard, left only with nubbins to press. I feel your pain, but more important - I feel the lols.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
-Geoff-

Postby -Geoff- » 17 Dec 2009, 01:08

Matt wrote:Red racer is fucking vile.

-m

Then you've had some of the best. To each his own.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 17 Dec 2009, 01:23

tak197 wrote: Our rapidly declning mental fautlies

If you take nothing else away from this thread, take this.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 17 Dec 2009, 11:15

Trisha Lynn wrote:If I ever have kids or become a major influence in someone else's kid's life, I'm going to let them know that just like owning a gun, having sex, and driving a car, being able to drink alcohol is something that should be taken as a serious responsibility.

Particularly if you are doing all four of them at the same time.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 17 Dec 2009, 17:45

My turn!

- Drink to enjoy vs drink for effect?
Mostly to enjoy, but a little bit for effect. Sometimes to relax a little and sometimes to get me dancing at a party. But mostly because I enjoy it and it's nice to sit with friends/family and talk over a drink.

- Types of beverages for different effect?
Some things definetly affect me more than others. I can drink daquaris or those kinds of drinks forever and be pretty much normal, but 2 glasses of wine and I am done.

- Responsible drinking in college: an oxymoron?
For some people, yes. But I drank in university... which meant that I had one or two drinks maybe once a month or two months. That's all I wanted.

Fun Fact: I actually drink probably 3x more when I am at home because my parents like to have wine with dinner once a week or so.

P.S. If you like things like Bailey's try Amarula if you get the chance
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada

Return to “General Discussion”