My city got covered in snow just in time, how's yours?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Re: My city got covered in snow just in time, how's yours?

Postby epocalypse » 20 Dec 2009, 06:48

Cybren, i did indeed get the implication. we got about 6 inches i'd say, enough that there is still some on the streets and sidewalks now (if you're in NYC, you know this city BLEEDS heat all year round, and it get's harder and harder for snow to stay on the ground) also, if you people want cold, let me tell you what cold is.

I have actually lived in a place that for a few days was legitimately the coldest point on earth at approximately sea level, and that place was Syracuse NY, and that temperature was neighborhood -40 degrees. What scale, you say? Why, either scale, my curious friend (except Kelvin, you smart ass, we're not friends right now if you're pulling a dick move like bringing up Kelvin) because -40 is the exact point where every widely used temp scale agrees IT'S REALLY FUCKING COLD. Seriously, a that temperature, everything in your house, including your freezer, is considerably warmer than everything outside your house.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 20 Dec 2009, 06:51

-40 celsius IS equal to -40 farenheit, as google once told me several years ago, to my great interest
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 20 Dec 2009, 06:55

Outside my house
epocalypse
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 20 Dec 2009, 06:57

Cybren wrote:-40 celsius IS equal to -40 farenheit, as google once told me several years ago, to my great interest

yep, everyone i went to high school with in syracuse should remember it, too.

also, did you guys ever realize that "i'm dreaming of a white christmas" has the framing device of being sung in Beverly Hills, LA during a particularly summery christmas, and wanting to be back in someplace ostensibly more like the north east?
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 20 Dec 2009, 07:26

233.15 kelvin just doesn't have the ring of -40 does it?
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 20 Dec 2009, 07:57

nope.

on an unrelated to above post bust related to snow in my city note, however, there is this from one of my philosophy professors (sent this morning):

Jon wrote:ps: as an alternative to the [final] exam, build a snowman expressive of at least one of the central problems of philosophy that we've addressed, and submit a photograph of yourself with the snowman, by noon tomorrow. Points for originality, expressiveness, and technical craftsmanship.
my personal site
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 20 Dec 2009, 08:56

Almost half way done shoveling, had to come inside to change my pants (they were frozen)
Shinoki
First Video: Unskippable

Postby Shinoki » 20 Dec 2009, 09:56

epocalypse wrote:nope.

on an unrelated to above post bust related to snow in my city note, however, there is this from one of my philosophy professors (sent this morning):

Jon wrote:ps: as an alternative to the [final] exam, build a snowman expressive of at least one of the central problems of philosophy that we've addressed, and submit a photograph of yourself with the snowman, by noon tomorrow. Points for originality, expressiveness, and technical craftsmanship.

Do it! Man if my profs would give me tasks like that I would totally jump all over it. Way better than writing comparative lit essays over and over and over, ad naseum. Though making a snow sculpture out of a brain in a vat could be difficult. After all if the vat is made of snow how are you going to see the brain?
epocalypse

Postby epocalypse » 20 Dec 2009, 10:17

I might still do it if I have time, but I'd already finished 90% of the take home exam (now complete, sending off right now). Since I have another paper to write today and studying for an exam tomorrow to do, I don't think I'll have the time. I will, however, definitely send him a Calvin and Hobbes Snowman strip.
my personal site
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 20 Dec 2009, 13:38

epocalypse wrote:I have actually lived in a place that for a few days was legitimately the coldest point on earth at approximately sea level, and that place was Syracuse NY, and that temperature was neighborhood -40 degrees. What scale, you say? Why, either scale, my curious friend (except Kelvin, you smart ass, we're not friends right now if you're pulling a dick move like bringing up Kelvin) because -40 is the exact point where every widely used temp scale agrees IT'S REALLY FUCKING COLD.

You actually can't use Kelvin because Kelvin's not measured in degrees, as you stated earlier.

And that whole thing about absolute zero.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Cake
Magically Delicious

Postby Cake » 20 Dec 2009, 16:09

Arius wrote:Oh, it's pretty chilly here. 61 degrees F. Brr.

Ok, I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not, because the people I know from Florida really do think 61F is pretty chilly.

It was warm today in Colorado. Got about... 55F. Gonna be 60F tomorrow, and 18F with snow Christmas eve.
Wil Wheaton says "Game over, Moonpie."
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 20 Dec 2009, 16:48

The photos Ieatninjaz took is pretty much how it looks where I currently am.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 20 Dec 2009, 20:12

Cake wrote:
Arius wrote:Oh, it's pretty chilly here. 61 degrees F. Brr.

Ok, I can't tell if you're sarcastic or not, because the people I know from Florida really do think 61F is pretty chilly.

It was warm today in Colorado. Got about... 55F. Gonna be 60F tomorrow, and 18F with snow Christmas eve.

I grew up in upstate New York, so definitely sarcastic.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 20 Dec 2009, 20:50

When I hear "the island", I think of Long Island and The Prisoner at the same time.

Think we got about 8 inches here in the Wasteland, and of course nobody knows how to drive in the stuff. I spent 45 minutes before this post helping my coworker back her car out of a parking space. Good thing some neighbors helped out with shovels. I sent her a text that said "Tomorrow, BUY A DAMN SHOVEL WOMAN!"

It normally takes me 30 minutes to walk to work, yesterday and today it took three times as long. Some total stranger stopped and gave me ride to work after watching me nearly fall into a creek after struggling through knee deep snow drifts. I didn't care if the guy raped and killed me, I just wanted to get out of the fucking snow.

And at work, the GM's daughter called out and the rest of us all had to come in. And we were the only restaurant open in a five mile radius. It wasn't fun.

Still, when I got home I took my shirt off and just stood out in the courtyard, getting snowed on and enjoying the silence.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
Cybren

Postby Cybren » 20 Dec 2009, 20:53

Hey, uhm, guys.

Guys, sit down. Let's have a chat.

I know sledding is fun and you want to have a good time in the snow with your family.

But highway offramps are not good spots to sled. Please do not park your cars on the barely plowed highway exit.
NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

Postby NachoManLance » 21 Dec 2009, 03:31

Cybren wrote:Hey, uhm, guys.

Guys, sit down. Let's have a chat.

I know sledding is fun and you want to have a good time in the snow with your family.

But highway offramps are not good spots to sled. Please do not park your cars on the barely plowed highway exit.

....Seriously?

Maybe I'll stick with the wildfires and earthquakes after all.
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 21 Dec 2009, 03:38

Its about 2 degrees and we've had a little snow hang around for a few days. Its like icing sugar.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 21 Dec 2009, 04:20

My dad just dropped a bottle of wine in the snow, so it looks like someone got stabbed next to our front gate. Fun times.
Longshot
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby Longshot » 21 Dec 2009, 07:13

Well, a few days ago, I woke up to an Århus covered in roughly 30 cms of snow. You people with inches hae to figure that one out for yourselves.

On one hand, it looks pretty. On the other, I was late for an appointment, and had to free my car, and I had no... whatchacallem, those things you scrape the windows with, so you can see out.
Paul: "I cannot deny or confirm whether I am Solid Snake."
aurora.melody2
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby aurora.melody2 » 21 Dec 2009, 07:58

I'm so glad that I don't have as much snow as some of you guys!
I live in Maine, a very snow prone area, and we haven't actually gotten much snow yet this year. The last storm canceled school everywhere, but we have less than a foot right now.
"Be honest, you're a zombie."
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 21 Dec 2009, 08:16

Liverpool has been snowy!

Now its been cold and all the pavement has metamorphasised into solid ice. Kinda makes getting round a bit chaotic.
Nothing to see here.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 21 Dec 2009, 08:17

We're having plenty of snow. So much that I could do without some of it.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 21 Dec 2009, 09:35

It actually snowed here in Agassiz last week, about 10 cm. Nothing crazy. But it was dry, and hella windy. It's was like being in the Arctic (in terms of visuals, mind you; it was still only -5 or so). Then that switched over to freezing rain, which I've never seen before (crazy!). Then it melted.

One nice thing about this town is people at least know how to drive in the snow. Everybody slows down and has their lights on. Plus, most people drive overly-large trucks.

Now it's warmer (4C) and drizzly. Fortunately it's supposed to clear up overnight as I have to move tomorrow, and my stuff's going in an open-top trailer!
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 22 Dec 2009, 06:33

ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:My dad just dropped a bottle of wine in the snow, so it looks like someone got stabbed next to our front gate. Fun times.

Like so:

xpk3
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby xpk3 » 22 Dec 2009, 07:03

wine slushi!

Return to “General Discussion”