Christmas music sucks

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Interruptor Jones

Christmas music sucks

Postby Interruptor Jones » 23 Dec 2009, 12:10

It's a hard fact: Christmas music sucks. The Barenaked Ladies' 'God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen' is basically the only thing getting me through the season with my mind intact. Does anyone have suggestions of non-awful Decemberween tunes? I've got the Arrogant Worms' 'Santa's Gonna Kick Your Ass', and myriad versions of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'* to consider, but there are only so many renditions of 'The Hanukkah Song' I can take before it's not funny anymore. What are your festive standbys?

*because making the Yuletide gay is what I'm ALL about. For serious. Did you know that song was originally way more depressing? It's why there's such a wistful tone to the music. That, plus some more optimistic lyrics, make it an ideal song in my opinion.

There is no 'm' in 'sexy'.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Re: Christmas music sucks

Postby korri » 23 Dec 2009, 12:20

Sorry I like most Christmas music. The trick is to not listen to the radio or the stuff they play non stop. Find a few albums you like and listen to them.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 23 Dec 2009, 12:32

I have no choice - there's the playlist at my work, which is a restaurant; and every time I need to get groceries it's just as bad. And my bank is in a friggin' mall. One year, I worked in a grocery store over the holidays, and let me tell you I am glutted for life on traditional festive jingles. They give me the fear. I always keep an ear out for pieces I do like, though...

Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Dec 2009, 12:34

I've somehow managed to avoid Christmas music thus far. The little time I've spent in stores had the crowd drown out the music, and at home the only Christmas music I have is the Barenaked Ladies album, mixed in with thousands of other songs. The classic rock station around here has being good about not playing Christmas music too. So really most of the Christmas music I've heard this year is due to watching the LRR specials so much.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 23 Dec 2009, 12:36

I'm okay with Christmas music in December, I typically avoid malls/ anywhere that would have Christmas music being played for the entire month anyway.

What's pissing me off is them playing it in November. YOU'RE OVER A MONTH EARLY, LEAVE ME ALONE. Seriously. In November, I'm looking forward to my birthday, not looking at what the hell I'm gonna get my family for Christmas. Stop reminding me about my procrastination.
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 23 Dec 2009, 12:46

Master Gunner wrote:...the only Christmas music I have is the Barenaked Ladies album, mixed in with thousands of other songs.

I did not know it was an entire album! Gonna check that out right now. :D

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 23 Dec 2009, 12:59

The great Canadian brass make any Christmas tune awesome.

Also, trans-Siberian orchestra.

-m

I am not angry at you.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 23 Dec 2009, 13:03

Actually, you know what, the Nutcracker is an excellent suite, especially good jazz versions, and same goes for my favorite things, which I consider a seasonal song.

the rest of the music of the season gets on the old nerves quick, though.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Interruptor Jones

Postby Interruptor Jones » 23 Dec 2009, 13:03

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra is very much win. I'ma look into this Great Canadian Brass, too. Thanks man.

NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

Postby NachoManLance » 23 Dec 2009, 13:15

Trans-Siberian Orchestra, a couple of Weird Al songs, and there are a few OC Remixes I have that are video game AND Xmas-themed. All together its a solid playlist for the holidays.
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 23 Dec 2009, 13:20

I love Christmas music if I like the artist and how they did it.

I know your pain IJ, I worked at an organic grocery store way back, and they would only play Christmas music from a choir of really elderly ladies, and the Putomayo ecclectic Christmas music.

It was terrible.

Once you have a job where it isn't forced down your throat, you will be able to stand it better.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
The R

Postby The R » 23 Dec 2009, 13:57

This particular version of "Carol Of the Bells" is incredible, especially with Bass-cranked awesome speakers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F44d2IzCrKo
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 23 Dec 2009, 14:05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3DyxaCYlfg

That and trans siberian should be all you need.

The charlie brown album is ok
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 23 Dec 2009, 14:20

I've started to loathe Christmas music over the past few years. It's not good music, and lots of it won't shut up about Jesus.

Bah. Humbug.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 23 Dec 2009, 14:34

Yeah I mean, come on... what does Christmas have to do with Jesus anyhow?!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 23 Dec 2009, 14:41

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:Yeah I mean, come on... what does Christmas have to do with Jesus anyhow?!

Haven't you watched the latest video? He has NOTHING to do with Christmas.
I don't have a problem with there being Christmas music involving Jesus. I have a problem when they try and cram that music down my throat. Be it on local radio, or when i'm in the mall. There's plenty of non Jesusy holiday music. There's even some that I enjoy. Try playing that.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 23 Dec 2009, 14:45

I got sick of Christmas music (& Christmas, actually) back when I worked in retail & had to endure it constantly for three & a half months straight. I still turn it off every chance I get, but if you're looking for nontypical songs for suggestions, I can recommend A Very Scary Solstice. Holiday songs created for the worlds of H.P. Lovecraft. The link has some free MP3s & samples if you want to check it out.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
MarkVI
First Video: iPhone Alternative

Postby MarkVI » 23 Dec 2009, 14:48

There is a lot of shitty Christmas music out there, I agree.

As a big jazz fan and a musician, I tend to prefer the jazz arrangements of Christmas songs. Partly I like how it can make the music sound more hip, and I am interested to hear how the chord structure might be modified and improvised over. Of course, there are shitty jazz christmas albums too - case in point, anything by Kenny G.

However, I really like Roy Hargrove's version of God Rest ye Merry Gentelmen and Frosty the Snowman. Also Nicholas Payton does a few great renditions. One album I have particularly in mind is Jazz For Joy: A Verve Christmas Album.

On an unrelated note, check out Manheim Steamroller and their Christmas album.
NachoManLance
First Video: The Stages

Postby NachoManLance » 23 Dec 2009, 15:23

MarkVI wrote:However, I really like Roy Hargrove's version of God Rest ye Merry Gentelmen and Frosty the Snowman. Also Nicholas Payton does a few great renditions. One album I have particularly in mind is Jazz For Joy: A Verve Christmas Album.

I've heard all of these and I can totally agree with you. Jazzy stuff can make almost anything sound better.
http://twitter.com/NachoManLance

<Witty quote that induces a chuckle>
teambates
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby teambates » 23 Dec 2009, 16:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyEztz6nY9Q

I've had Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresses stuck in my head for the last week. It's insidious. Other good suggestions include Fairytale of New York by the Pogues, which is amazing, Christmas in Hollis by Run-DMC, and Kairon Beta Prime by Jonathan Coulton. :V

If you don't mind trad, find the conventional arrangements boring, and have a taste for jazz, try Verve Presents: The Very Best in Christmas Jazz on for size. That, along with White Christmas by the Pipettes, Christmas Day by Dido, Winterlong by Neil Young, Christmas at the Zoo by the Flaming Lips, This Winter I Retire by Said the Whale, and Wintertime Love by the Doors round out my Christmas playlist.
InsaneFool
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby InsaneFool » 23 Dec 2009, 16:39

I like listening to Bobnoxious' Christmas album

Link 1

Nightmare Revisited is fun since it has famous bands covering the songs from Nightmare Before Christmas.
Link 2
Personal Fail Count: 3ish? (So Far)
Follow me on Twitter
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 23 Dec 2009, 18:22

Gaa! How could I forget?? Listen to Christmas in the Stars: Star Wars Christmas Album!

More on Wikipedia, including how & why this is Bon Jovi's first album.

Also, another obscure Xmas favourite.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 23 Dec 2009, 18:26

GOD DAMMIT EVIL JIM!
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 23 Dec 2009, 19:20

"Greensleves" and "O Little Town of Bethlehem" are EPIC and I do not care if you say otherwise. Also, Mannheim Steamroller > Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
James
LRR Crew

Postby James » 24 Dec 2009, 13:34

Our very own Geoff Howe sings a lovely Christmas song. Get on it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDYEcqme ... _embedded#

Return to “General Discussion”