Dante's Inferno

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Dante's Inferno

Postby CyberTractor » 05 May 2009, 00:50

So, the teaser trailer is up now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttfnvciC ... re=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysu3w7Wiiuc

What do you guys think?

I think it'll just be another God of War game with demons.
I can't think of a signature.
Intellectually funky

Re: Dante's Inferno

Postby Intellectually funky » 05 May 2009, 04:03

I love how they did the 1:55 long trailer. But i'm pumped for it, I agree it looks like a bit of a god of war rip-off. I think Scythes are awesome but for some reason the player's scythe looks like it will be terrible ( maybe because it seems to big?).

I also wonder how their going to make Satan look, was he that huge guy in the trailer or will they make him short and menacing.

BTW They had Demons in god of war.
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx

March Hare: Ah, that's just it. If you don't think, then you shouldn't talk.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 05 May 2009, 04:21

It does look pretty good, and if they play the circles of hell and reprisentations of the seven sins right it could be a really good game. I can't see it drawing flak from any religious areas, certainly.
I'll probably get it on PC if i get it at all.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 05 May 2009, 05:46

I wonder if they're going to steal all the scythe moves from Ninja Gaiden 2
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Thysane

Postby Thysane » 05 May 2009, 08:01

I can't comment. I will, however, probably be avoiding this like the plague. The whole "bad-ass adaptation of Dante's story" just doesn't sit right with me. Can't they just let a literary masterpiece alone? It'll be GTA: Don Quixote next...

I'm sure it could turn out to be an ok game, but I'm just way to much of an elitist when it comes to literature.

EDIT: Possible game mechanic for GTA:DQ - Get money for randomly attacking windmills!
CyberTractor
Member of Alpha Flight

Postby CyberTractor » 05 May 2009, 08:30

GTA:DQ would actually be pretty fun.
I can't think of a signature.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 05 May 2009, 08:59

I agree with Thysane.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
kilgr20
First Video: Halo

Postby kilgr20 » 05 May 2009, 09:13

I really enjoy this song by the band Iced Earth.
If you watch the movie 'Jaws' backwards, its a movie about a shark that keeps throwing up people until they have to open a beach.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 05 May 2009, 11:59

Even though I've only read part of Inferno (really need to finish that sometime), and honestly didn't understand a lot of what I did read (not my top priority), I don't really know how you can make this into a fighting game and keep, well, the entire point of the story. For one, Dante was not an incredibly buff warrior as far as I recall, then there's the fact that Dante was invited down into the afterlife, and the various creatures there weren't allowed to attack him, as Virgil kept reminding them.

I could see this perhaps as somebody following in Dante's footsteps down into Hell uninvited, as that's the only way this would make sense to me.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 05 May 2009, 12:42

Dead Sapce was really good imo, and I think this could be as well. I think if they can divide the game up with the seven sins and make the styles look cool, that would really help.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Postby Nevrmore » 20 Dec 2009, 02:46

Just played the Demo, and I think "underwhelmed" is the word I'm looking for.

In relation to God of War, while I think it would be petty to try and compare each games' cutscenes and story (though I could, if I tried), there is no doubt that the gameplay is almost an exact ape of God of War's style. Sure, they change things around, make certain moves that you could do in God of War from the offset "upgrades," but it's just shuffling a deck of cards; no matter what, it's the same 52. Even the cycle of animations that you go through by just mashing the square button is virtually identical to Kratos'. There's the "Fuck you button," as Yahtzee dubbed it in his Chains of Olympus review, to grab enemies and then instantly kill them in one hit (though you have a choice to "punish" or "absolve" them which I guess plays into some sort of karma system). You fight satyr-esque enemies who can block and parry your attacks, and hit you even if you are blocking just like the satyrs in GoW. There's a section right at the end of the demo where you take control of a giant monster and use it to beat up on a bunch of smaller enemies, just like the cyclopses. Fuck, there's one part that I could swear was fucking lifted right from God of War 1 and given a re-skin, when you have to kill a bunch of enemies while a wall slowly advances from the left side, and if you don't kill the enemies in time the wall crushes you.

As for the story...Ehh. I liked the animated cutscenes, those looked pretty cool stylistically, but the story was doing nothing for me. Maybe the cutscenes were trimmed and stitched together for the demo but everything moved so fucking fast, I didn't know what was going on. I won't bother spoilering it since it's within the first 5 minutes of the game, but you want to know the reason Dante has to fight Death and steals his scythe? Some guy walks up behind him and stabs him between the shoulder blades. Seriously, that's it. Dante walks out into a garden, a guy strides up unnoticed behind him, stabs him, and walks away. After killing Death, stealing his super-cool scythe and obviously never stopping to think about the implications of what he's done, the game abruptly skips to three years later, when Dante's ventured back home, stitched a cross into his chest for some reason, and finds all his loved ones had just been murdered for reasons not given, and thus he decides to go to Hell to get Beatrice back. Did that seem like a rushed synopsis to you? Well that's because it was a rushed fucking story. I realize that it's a demo and people didn't exactly download it so they can watch 25 minutes of cutscenes, but if you're going to use the beginning of your game as the selling point you probably want to polish that shit up so it looks good and not like someone was forced to summarize your game for you.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 20 Dec 2009, 19:19

That seems.....absolutely nothing like what Dante wrote. I mean, I knew they had no intention of following what he wrote in the slightest, but that's just....insane.

Frankly, a 'shroom-induced acid trip makes for a much better framing story than what you described.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 20 Dec 2009, 20:06

Oh, so its a Spectacle Fighter, with a main character named Dante.

So its SURPRISINGLY like Devil May Cry. Alright. =D
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
xe2k7
First Video: ISC: Banana Onion Juice

Postby xe2k7 » 01 Jan 2010, 22:10

I just have a hard time buying into the hype. Everywhere I hear someone mention this game it's, 'Have you heard about Dante's Inferno? It's so cool, it plays just like God of War!' My first thought after that is 'Why get something that plays like God of War when I can get God of War?'
Don't Be That Guy
H.A.N.D.ing out the Spartan Victory Salute

Now Known As XeLasers on XBLA
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 01 Jan 2010, 22:13

Why get any new game then?
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 02 Jan 2010, 04:53

Im looking forward to watching Dante's Inferno: An Animated Epic much more than playing the game.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 02 Jan 2010, 10:27

I donno. I played the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit. While the sorce material is completely ignored, it doesn't seem like a bad game at all.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 02 Jan 2010, 12:34

After playing the demo for a bit there's really only one thing I can say that hasn't already been touched on by someone else in this thread:

There is an awful lot of bare breasts in the demo for a game that heavily focuses around faith and absolving one's sins.

Just sayin'.
ImageImageImageImage
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 02 Jan 2010, 13:38

So? It's not like any of the nudity is done in a distasteful way.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
xe2k7
First Video: ISC: Banana Onion Juice

Postby xe2k7 » 02 Jan 2010, 20:01

Genghis Ares wrote:Why get any new game then?

There is a difference between being in the same genre and being a pallet swap of another game. A lot of people are comparing Bayonetta to Devil May Cry and God of War, but Bayonetta is trying to be it's own game in the action game genre. Dante's Inferno is trying so hard to re-create God of War they might as well have T.C. Carson be the voice of Dante (wouldn't be surprised if they asked for him). I watched a friend play the demo and everything about it wreaks of 'we saw this game do it.' I could list the comparisons and direct likeness between the two, but I'm sure someone has already. So it goes back to the question I posed before: Why get a game that is trying it's damnedest to be like another game when I could just play the original? That just my opinion on this and in no way is anyone wrong here. If you think the game looks sweet and will kick ass, then go forth, purchase, and kick ass.
Last edited by xe2k7 on 02 Jan 2010, 23:46, edited 3 times in total.
Don't Be That Guy
H.A.N.D.ing out the Spartan Victory Salute

Now Known As XeLasers on XBLA
iEatNinjaZ
Location: My Amazing Underwater World of Underwater Wonder That Is Under The Water™

Postby iEatNinjaZ » 02 Jan 2010, 20:04

Vanguard wrote:
There is an awful lot of bare breasts

Just sayin'.

Read about Adam & Eve
Your head might explode
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 09 Feb 2010, 13:12

/tar "Dante's Inferno Thread" /cast Resurrection

So I just picked up my copy and I'm gonna start playing right now, anyone else pick it up?
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 09 Feb 2010, 15:04

I also have it. Story, good. Combat, so damn mediocre.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 09 Feb 2010, 21:19

Darkobra wrote:I also have it. Story, good. Combat, so damn mediocre.

Man, if you think that story's good, you shuld read the book.
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 09 Feb 2010, 22:34

Looks interesting enough, but since I don't have anything past a PS2, I'll have to reserve judgement until I can pull $299 out of my ass for a slim PS3. I AM willing to try it, though, since it does remind me a lot of God of War, at least appearance-wise, and honestly, wouldn't this world be a better place with more Kratos-eviscerating-demons games?
Credit to Foxmar

Return to “Video Games”