1 Year, 100 Movies, 100 Words Apiece (100/100)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

1 Year, 100 Movies, 100 Words Apiece (100/100)

Postby King Kool » 16 Jan 2010, 23:01

I've been dragging my feet on this for a while, but I gotta start this soon or else I will never get it out there.

Last year, I resolved to see a movie once a week. Generally, I did OK. I saw a lot of movies, probably 40 to 50. Occasionally, there was just nothing I wanted to see.

This year, I was thinking: I often see two movies in one day, and two movies a week is roughly 100 movies (giving a little bit of wiggle room for weeks where I just cannot get out there).

So, here it is: I, King Kool, will strain all attempt to watch 100 movies in the year 2010. For each movie I see, I will write one 100 word review of it here (a form of review I did ages ago, and my brother suggested I revive.)

I have to play catchup, but here's what I've seen so far this year.

Movie 1. Sherlock Holmes - Trailers for this movie put me off, but I'm happy to report it's not as bad as I feared. Not that familiar with Sherlock Holmes, but don't remember him being so sarcastic. Downey is effective, but is it Holmes? Law is also effective. Actions sequences are either overedited or overblown; can Holmes really ever be in any serious jeopardy? Contains a few surprises, held my interest, forgot I saw it when chatting with friends about what I'd seen that week. About the ending: I liked the explanation for everything, didn't like how hard they were trying to imitate Batman Begins.

Movie 2: The Princess and the Frog - In a world with so many computer animated movies, and so many bad ones, this movie should be seen to fight the good fight. It goes without saying that the animation is splendid. Sure, I'm sick of talking animals, but only when they're boring. Voice cast is excellent, including that guy from Halo 2. Yeah, two strangers who hate each other at first fall in love, but it works somehow. I laughed a lot, and without bathroom humor (how does that get in all kids' movies?). The songs were perfunctory; couldn't hum any of them except the one in the credits.

Movie 3: Leap Year – You’ve Got Mail has a lot to answer for. That’s a sweet movie about people who GRADUALLY fall in love despite acrimony. Question: is it wise to leave your boyfriend of four years for someone you’ve known for three days because you only now realize he’s a louse? Wouldn’t you apologize if you accidentally let someone else’s car roll into a lake, instead of blaming it on the guy giving you a ride? Do women really fall for this crap? In what way is this realistic? John Lithgow had the wisdom to escape after 10 minutes. Felt longer than Avatar.

Movie 4: Up In The Air – George Clooney fires people for a living, finds his own job may be in peril. I have to believe the timing of this movie is deliberate. Like Reitman’s Thank You For Smoking, this movie has something you hardly see in movies: someone extremely skilled at their job. Much less satirical than Smoking, no less funny. Anna Kendrick is a huge step up from Katie Holmes. Clooney is at the top of his game, but he’s not doing anything that we didn’t know he could do. Very smart, funny and touching without going overboard. Would recommend it to just about anyone.

Here’s to 96 more. Lemme know if you find these useful or interesting. (I will, of course, discuss movies at greater length in the topic if you like.)
Last edited by King Kool on 30 Dec 2010, 22:07, edited 30 times in total.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
zfubarz

Re: One Year, One Hundred Movies, One Hundred Words Apiece...

Postby zfubarz » 16 Jan 2010, 23:10

avoid Pandorum, just watched it and not impressed.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 16 Jan 2010, 23:11

I have a feeling I'm going to be watching a LOT of movies that should be avoided...
a winner is you. - Ash
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 16 Jan 2010, 23:32

im really looking forward to reading this on a regular basis
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 16 Jan 2010, 23:44

Will any movie do, or do they have to be new releases?

Cause I've probably already watched about a dozen movies this month already. But as far as new releases go, 0.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Jan 2010, 07:44

Just want you to know King Kool, Sherlock Holmes in the original short stories is a Bohemian shut-in ass-hole. Maybe not quite as sarcastic as the movie portrays, but he often uses his intelligence and observation to make others feel dumb, or really embarrassed.

EDIT: I forgot some hyphens.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 17 Jan 2010, 09:55

No, I know that. But sarcasm is a bit different than plainly stating fact and making people feel dumb (though both of them make you lose friends.)

My friend perfectly described it that he was more House than Holmes.

EDIT: Also, most of them will be new, but if I can't get out to the theatre for some reason, I'll get a DVD and watch it instead.
a winner is you. - Ash
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 17 Jan 2010, 11:21

This endeavor reminds me a lot of Kevin Murphy's "A Year At The Movies", where he went and saw a movie in a theater every day for a year.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 17 Jan 2010, 11:40

Baby steps, Mr. Fiend.
a winner is you. - Ash
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 17 Jan 2010, 12:01

King Kool...you're the one who works at a movie theatre, right?

If anyone could do it, it'd be you (unless I'm wrong).
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 17 Jan 2010, 13:08

im really looking forward to reading some of these , i hope you keep it up.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Niko88

Postby Niko88 » 17 Jan 2010, 13:26

This should be fun to read. Keep it up and don't loose faith!
Why do I love the blinking street lights so much?
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 17 Jan 2010, 13:31

Was gonna go see Sherlock Holmes with my bro, I loved all of the stories and I was afraid the movie might ruin the entire character for me. Glad to hear it's not terrible.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 18 Jan 2010, 13:48

Movie 5: It's Complicated - This movie was surprisingly popular at my theare, primarily with older ladies. One regular said I might have to be older to appreciate it. Probably true, but I still liked it. Streep is great, but you already knew that. Steve Martin is always excellent playing the lovelorn. Crowd was laughing more at jokes at the beginning than I was; maybe they're not as used to jokes about vaginas as me. As it progressed, I laughed more. Very much not the average romantic comedy (id est, bad). Miles better than Leap Year, but didn't resonate with me. Maybe I'm too young.

Wasn't the movie I WANTED to see today, but I'll see if I can get them later in the week.
a winner is you. - Ash
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Jan 2010, 15:29

Movie suggestion: Goodbye, Mr. Chips (the 1939 version). I saw it a while ago and thought it was very good, though lost out in the Oscars to Gone With the Wind.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Murakami
First Video: Time is Money

Postby Murakami » 20 Jan 2010, 01:39

This is awesome. Maybe, at some point, I'll check here first before picking a movie to rent or go see.

"Madddd Propz"
Arius wrote:De Nederlanders vallen binnen!
Annchan

Postby Annchan » 21 Jan 2010, 09:11

Do you have a blog or something to update these to or are you just posting them here?
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 21 Jan 2010, 22:19

I don't want to create another blog in the gigantic blogoblag. There are too many blogs out there anyway

Movie 6: The Spy Next Door - Jackie Chan might be too old to do intense action flicks and hopes to be more family friendly (then what’s The Rock’s excuse?), but this movie is sadly unworthy of him. This movie rockets between silly subpar action and arguing family tripe. Family tension scenes ineptly handled and completely out of place; shouldn’t this movie just be totally silly? Such a nasty downbeat before third act; isn’t this for kids? Child actors are average. Surprisingly, not totally witless; when I laughed, I laughed hard. A few funny ideas, not enough to make it worth even a rental. No good bloopers.

Movie 7: Daybreakers - I suspect this got dumped to a crappy January release because there’s not much action. To say a movie is reminiscent of the Matrix holds no weight anymore. This time, there’s less philosophy, more satire. Great image of blood stirred into coffee stuck with me. A handful of clichés, but with vampires, clichés equal rules (no glitter here,). Unusual cast (Neill, Hawke, Dafoe? Where’s Brando?) but vamps are always fun for actors. I don’t want to oversell it; doesn’t reach the same level as District 9; I doubt it’s trying to. Not revolutionary, but perfectly satisfactory. You might be surprised.
a winner is you. - Ash
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 22 Jan 2010, 02:25

I thought Daybreakers was quite satisfying. I went into it hardly knowing anything about the story & was glad for the ride.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Fuzzyfreaker
First Video: CSI: CSI

Postby Fuzzyfreaker » 22 Jan 2010, 02:52

I'm about 5 months into my own film project as well. I took it too far and vowed to see one film every day, after being influenced by Kevin Murphy's "A Year at the Movies." It's been a really great experience. I've met some great people and seen some wonderful movies. I occasionally do write-ups if something particularly stands out, but it's been a pretty personal journey so far.

Best of luck, man. It gets tough at times, but trust me, it's worth it.
octopimpostor

Postby octopimpostor » 24 Jan 2010, 22:22

i can't wait till he reviews legion... and ive seen 7 of the 8 movies out in my local theater... i have no life/
Dubious_wolf wrote:

[/quote]
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 25 Jan 2010, 15:38

Movie 8: The Tooth Fairy - Yes, it's amazingly contrived that a hockey player known for dental harm nicknamed Tooth Fairy becomes an actual tooth fairy. Yes, it's got a single mother and the guy her kids don't like until they bond. Yes, there's the unnecessary nasty second act conclusion, the downbeat before the big end. I recognize it's silly and stupid. I cannot lie; I laughed a lot. Despite predictions, this movie is funny. Johnson is a very capable comic actor. Billy Crystal's cameo is hilarious. Fans of The Rock could do worse. Finally, a movie with Ashley Judd I didn't hate. Ending's kinda weak.

Movie 9: Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakuel - During this, I actually thought “What am I doing here?” Two movie archetypes I want reduced: high schools with insensitive jocks and single moms courting men their kids hate (see previous review). Chipmunks looks eerie; Chipettes spend first thirty minutes of movie naked. Why bother getting celebs to voice Chipmunks? Female voices not as annoying sped up. Thankfully, not much singing. Direct references to Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Silence of Lambs, fill laughless void with more void. All actors wasted here. It's not Jason Lee's fault he can scream “Alvin!” Never saw first one, not necessary to see this, either.

91 to go.

Fuuuck, I don't wanna watch Legion. That looks horrendous.

Octopimposter, I got a version of the avatar with darker lines near the skull, if you want it.
a winner is you. - Ash
octopimpostor

Postby octopimpostor » 25 Jan 2010, 15:49

it is horrendous, that why you should review it. and sure
Dubious_wolf wrote:

[/quote]
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 01 Feb 2010, 20:10

Movie 10: Edge of Darkness: Ever get the feeling a movie's been edited to emphasize action? I felt the opposite was true here. Mel Gibson tries to find why his daughter was killed (in movies, this always happens before the parents' eyes). In a movie with few surprises, one of them is how tepid it all is. Not actiony like Taken, more detective story as Gibson slowly unravels the mystery. But it's really slow, almost ponderous. I suspect most will hate it. Thankfully, it's not about revenge, rather uncovering the truth. Maybe I'll always be tolerant of movies shot in Massachusetts (Surrogates, Invention of Lying).
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 03 Feb 2010, 15:58

Movie 11: The Imaginarium Of Dr. Parnassus - Terry Gilliam's last work in this vein was The Brothers Grimm. I never thought I'd look back on that with some charity. Just because something's magical doesn't mean it has to make no sense. Maybe I have no sympathy for someone who made Faustian deal, infinite life, lovely daughter, blah blah blah. Movie makes no attempt to explain how things happen, so why should I? Yes, it's zany and abstract, but to what end? I don't want to discourage Hollywood creativity, but someone should've pulled back on the reins. Next time one of the principal actors dies, stop. Just stop.

Movie 12: When In Rome - From previews, this probably looks a lot like Leap Year. There are two crucial differences. First, the two principals hit it off and LIKE one another before the plot monkey-wrenches their happiness (instead of arguing the whole movie and falling in love inexplicably). Second, despite being a professional woman, the main character is NICE instead of hostile, smart instead of dim. You sympathize with her when things go haywire. Movie is pretty funny, not hilarious. It moves very briskly, stays positive. Fat nerd friend character seems obligatory. One surprising twist. I could watch Kristen Bell on screen all day long.
a winner is you. - Ash

Return to “General Discussion”