What are some good Wii games?

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
JoshTheater
First Video: Desert Bus Killed The Internet Star

What are some good Wii games?

Postby JoshTheater » 20 Jan 2010, 10:50

Just this Christmas, I finally got a Nintendo Wii. It's the first new console I've gotten since my N64 that I've had for about 10 years now.

Now before I go any further let me be clear: I'm not starting this thread to talk about the merits of the Wii console. I don't really care if you think it's great or if you thinks it sucks. In fact I'll admit it's probably the weakest of the 3 current consoles in most aspects, but I got it for 4 reasons:
1) I'm a casual gamer and don't claim to be otherwise.
2) I've played it before and happened to enjoy the motion controls.
3) Price.
4) Zelda.

So in any case, I'm attempting to get at least somewhat back into gaming, at least as much as I can with a Wii. My main problem though is choosing games that are actually worth spending $50 on. This is a problem with the Wii. With an X-Box or even a PS3 I would have a good selection of new games that get good hype, but on Wii mostly all you get are Nintendo's old and worn franchises, and pretty much 3/4ths of what's rest are crappy kiddy games.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Nintendo's old franchises, but I want to know what else (if anything) it has to offer, especially if I'm spending money on games. I don't get the opportunity to try out games that friends have often, which is too bad because in some cases it might stop me from wasting money on a game I originally had every intention of buying (as it did with New Super Mario Bros. Wii...that game frustrated the hell out of me).

Unfortunately most reviews one can find are for X-Box and PS3, the ones you find easily for Wii are usually for its franchise games and not often for anything else. So I thought I'd come here and ask to see if any of you forumers who own a Wii have any suggestions for games worth buying. They can be franchise games or third-party games, doesn't matter, a good game is a good game. Hopefully. ;)

For reference, these are the games I own so far:
Wii Sports
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Metroid Prime: Trilogy (btw, so far I'm enjoying this one a lot, the Wii controls work well with it IMO)

Thanks!
Last edited by JoshTheater on 20 Jan 2010, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.
iamevilchris
First Video: Max Effect

Re: What are some good Wii games?

Postby iamevilchris » 20 Jan 2010, 12:21

alright, i don't own a Wii, but i know people who do, and so far the games i've played that i've liked were Worms: A Space Oddity, House of the Dead and Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop (really dumbed down port but much more playable than the 360 version).

that's about as helpful as i can be, though.
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 20 Jan 2010, 13:28

No More Heroes - its a 3rd person action depending on your sense of humore you fill find it really really funny or really not, its a Suda 51 game(guy that done killer 7).

Resident Evil 4 - its Resident Evil 4.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 20 Jan 2010, 13:49

Okami - $20 USD used. Great game, 3rd person adventure, great controls. Also a personal favorite for story and excellent art/music.

Cursed Mountain - if you like survival horror, this is great. It's rather slow paced, but very well done (only played a few hours so far) $40 IIRC (got it for Christmas)

Mad World - watched TheHusband play this. Neat graphics, seemed to have good controls, and the story was well told. Oh yeah, and it's super violent. :)

For me, the greatest thing about the Wii is being able to play GameCube discs, which are usually $5 or less. I'm catching up on a lot of games I missed before.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 20 Jan 2010, 14:00

Can vouch for Resi 4 and No More Heroes personally. If it comes down to it (in the shop with not much cash), Resi 4 is the meatier game, but they are both brilliant. I admit I still compare pretty much every game I play to Resi 4. So yeah, it's good. :D

As for other games, Super Mario Galaxy is good for the casual gamer 'cos you can play it one small level at a time. Not to mention it's fun and reasonably revolutionary. :P

That's all I'll suggest at the moment.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 20 Jan 2010, 14:14

Boom Blocks Bash Party is lot of fun.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 20 Jan 2010, 14:21

I wouldn't call Super Mario Galaxy casual - it's actually pretty difficult. But it was a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, any of the Lego series. Lego Star Wars is a favorite.
Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 20 Jan 2010, 15:58

I just got New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And by just got, I mean 1 minute ago from the mailbox. So I'll have to get back to you on it.
JoshTheater

Postby JoshTheater » 20 Jan 2010, 16:54

After taking many of your suggestions and doing some research, I've come up with a list of potentially worthwhile games:

Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil 4
Okami
Madworld
Super Paper Mario
The Conduit
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Dead Space Extraction
Medal Of Honor Heroes 2
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Call Of Duty: World At War
No More Heroes
Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Any other suggestions guys? Or do you think any of the above games are so bad they don't deserve my money?
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 26 Jan 2010, 05:21

JoshTheater wrote:After taking many of your suggestions and doing some research, I've come up with a list of potentially worthwhile games:

Super Mario Galaxy
Resident Evil 4
Okami
Madworld
Super Paper Mario
The Conduit
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Dead Space Extraction
Medal Of Honor Heroes 2
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Call Of Duty: World At War
No More Heroes
Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Any other suggestions guys? Or do you think any of the above games are so bad they don't deserve my money?

Being a Wii fan, I can tell you that Okami, Super Paper Mario, Resident Evil 4, and Super Mario Galaxy are all incredible games. Since I'm bored, I'll give you a mini-review of each.

Okami: This was originally a PS2 title, although I've never played that version. If you're a fan of Zelda, though, you should know that this game has been referred to as "PS2 Zelda" on more than one occasion. Great story, epic battles, fun sidequests. Should please any Zelda fan. Also, in an unprecedented move, the final boss is actually the hardest boss.

One thing you might be interested to know is that a number of people have complained about the brush techniques. I haven't personally had much trouble, but some techniques are harder to pull off with motion controls then they were with the dual analog controls of the PS2. There's a slashing technique that you learn early on, and if you can't pull it off consistently it may ruin the game for you. I do wholeheartedly recommend this game, however.

Super Paper Mario: If you're interested in this game because you've played Paper Mario on the N64, I'll start by saying that's not a good enough reason. If you're interested, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door on the Gamecube is very similar to its predecessor, although you'll need a controller and memory card to play it. Super Paper Mario is primarily a 2D platformer, with minor RPG elements, i.e. the points you collect for killing enemies will increase your health and attack power. However, if you're a fan of 2D platformers, this is one of the better ones for the Wii. The 2D/3D flipping may seem gimmicky at first, but this is a genuinely fun game if you give it a chance. The story is better than PM's story, but not by a lot.

All in all, I would recommend this game to platforming fans, not Paper Mario fans or RPG fans. I do recommend The Thousand-Year Door if you liked the first game, though. Similar games that you might enjoy if you like platformers are New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Wario Land: Shake It.

Resident Evil 4: Now, I never played this game on the Wii, but I own the Gamecube version, and I can tell you it's one of the best third-person shooters I've played. It's not too easy, but not too hard either, and ammo is plentiful enough to get by on, but you won't be tripping over it either. I can't say a lot more because it's been a while since I played it, but if you've played other Resident Evil games, this one is the best of the series.

Super Mario Galaxy: Since you have an N64, I will assume you've played Super Mario 64. Now, if you skipped Super Mario Sunshine, you haven't missed much (I like it, but it's a weaker title), but Super Mario Galaxy is a must-play. While FLUDD was clearly a gimmick and not worth basing an entire game on, space travel works for this game. SMG simply offers the best 3D platforming experience in years, and that is no exaggeration. If you enjoyed SM64, you should definitely play this. If not, you should still check it out, as this is a game not to be missed.

Most of your other games I can't recommend one way or the other. I will say that Wario Ware isn't for everybody. If you've played another Wario Ware title, and still want Smooth Moves I say go for it. If it's your first, however, I'd be a bit cautious.

I have a number of other recommendations if you'd like to hear them, but I've been going on for far too long as it is. I will post more later if you want though.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Genghis Ares
First Video: ArmEGAddon

Postby Genghis Ares » 26 Jan 2010, 07:16

After playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii for a couple of days, I'd definitely recommend it to any 2D Mario fans.

It looks really nice. It has a really good visual style to it with the 3D models in a 2D plane.

Gameplay is as good as any 2D Mario game, and some of the extra moves work really well.

The design of the game is very much in the same vein as Super Mario Bros. 3, with some SMB1 and Super Mario World in there as well.

Multiplayer though is a pain hte ass for the most part. If you get 2 people who know what they're doing, it can be great, but 4 people would be impossible, especially if any of them are below-average players. But multiplayer can be pretty fun if you're just fucking around and trying to have fun, but if you're trying to seriously beat the game, it just isn't worth the hassle.

Overall, it a great game still.
5/5.
AtomicPigeon
First Video: Desert Bus 2009

Postby AtomicPigeon » 26 Jan 2010, 09:57

a couple of other titles worth trying would be Bully: Scholarship Edition and Eledees

your list already pretty much covers the best on the Wii some far
Xix
First Video: Son of a bitch

Postby Xix » 26 Jan 2010, 16:06

Pikmin is surprisingly fun.
"Quickly, evolve into a less shitty pokemon"
JoshTheater

Postby JoshTheater » 27 Jan 2010, 09:24

wartjr2373 wrote:I will say that Wario Ware isn't for everybody. If you've played another Wario Ware title, and still want Smooth Moves I say go for it. If it's your first, however, I'd be a bit cautious.

I've actually played Smooth Moves, which is why I want it. I thought it was hysterical and incredibly fun. Any game that suddenly asks you to DROP THE CONTROLLER as one of the objectives is AWESOME. Hope you were wearing the strap!

Genghis Ares wrote:After playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii for a couple of days, I'd definitely recommend it to any 2D Mario fans.

As I said, I already tried New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and HATED it. It's unnecessarily difficult, and the multiplayer (which is the main selling point for the game), as you said, is a pain in the ass! Why should you be able to run into and jump on each other? In the co-op adventure mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, you didn't get in each other's way, and that worked just fine! Why couldn't they have made it like that?
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 27 Jan 2010, 11:19

JoshTheater wrote:
wartjr2373 wrote:I will say that Wario Ware isn't for everybody. If you've played another Wario Ware title, and still want Smooth Moves I say go for it. If it's your first, however, I'd be a bit cautious.

I've actually played Smooth Moves, which is why I want it. I thought it was hysterical and incredibly fun. Any game that suddenly asks you to DROP THE CONTROLLER as one of the objectives is AWESOME. Hope you were wearing the strap!

Yeah, I like Wario Ware too; lots of fun, particularly with multiplayer, or even taking turns through single player as a group. I know more than a few people who can't stand it though.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

JoshTheater

Postby JoshTheater » 27 Jan 2010, 18:15

It just utilized the Wii controller in as many ways as possible, including ridiculously absurd moronic ways that you would never think of. And it asks you to utilize the controller in these ways in a row as quickly as possible. Fantastically entertaining.
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 28 Jan 2010, 11:37

I dunno if RPG type games that come out of Japan are necessarily your thing, but a surprisingly good game that I discovered on the Wii is Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon. I originally bought it because it had Final Fantasy in the title, and to my surprise discovered a really good game. I'll be the first to admit its not the manliest of games, the whole thing stinks of cute, and the voice acting is some of the cheesiest I've heard (though its not bad voice acting by any stretch of the imagination), but manage to get past it and you will find a brilliant dungeon crawler RPG.

The difficulty curve isn't hugely steep, though with each new dungeon you will need to do some level grinding before you can get too far into it, fortunately additionally with each new dungeon comes a new set of weaponry and armour which is slightly better than the ones from the previous dungeons. Additionally the system for customizing and improving weapons and armour is really straight forward, so can be picked up instantly, but takes time to work out how to get the best out of it, which is great.

Control wise, you can either use the Wiimote or the classic controller, either of which are relatively straight forward to use, though the wiimote makes incredibly limited use of the accelerometer, but considering its not actually necessary for any of it, its probably a good thing.

In all, I think its a game that's been overlooked by most, meaning most people are missing out on a really good game!

Return to “Video Games”