I love ICBC

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Fraszoid

I love ICBC

Postby Fraszoid » 01 Feb 2010, 15:47

I just got my license in the mail today, no problems at all. Best part was I just renewed last Monday, January 25th (my birthday). I walk in to the office, had to wait all of 2 minutes to get a number, and take a seat. Before I even get to open the paper and prepare for a long wait its my turn. The lady whom processed my stuff was very nice and cheery and everything was great. Only issue, a minor one was she keyed in the amount wrong, did 15 instead of 75 so I had to swipe again for the balance of 60. Then I got my picture taken which was quick and easy. All in all took me 15 minutes to this, and to my surprise took only a week to get my new license.

Anyone else have positive experiences with them?

If you read this Matt, what would have happened if the lady didn't catch that error, would I get a bill in the mail for the balance or some other problem pop up?
Lorithad

Re: I love ICBC

Postby Lorithad » 01 Feb 2010, 16:20

Yeah, ICBC is great at taking your money. Try making a claim with them.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Feb 2010, 18:59

Fras: yes, you'd be billed for the difference - licensing costs are legislated, so unfortunately, they can't let processing errors slide.

Lor: the majority of claims are settled quickly and without issue, to everyone's satisfaction - you're better off with ICBC than with a private insurer, by a long shot.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 01 Feb 2010, 19:22

...I got my L the other week....And the lady was really nice and everything was really efficient...
But they said it'd be like, a week until I actually got my actual license, and it's going on 3 now....
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Feb 2010, 19:38

Kara wrote:...I got my L the other week....And the lady was really nice and everything was really efficient...
But they said it'd be like, a week until I actually got my actual license, and it's going on 3 now....

probably got caught up in a facial recognition queue.

or it's been lost in the mail, but that's canada post's fault.

-m

I am not angry at you.
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 01 Feb 2010, 20:42

Suuuuure Matt... blame the other bits of the Canadian government.

Also "facial recognition queue"?
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 01 Feb 2010, 20:56

They certainly sound nicer then some of the people I've run into at the DMV
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Feb 2010, 21:09

korri wrote:They certainly sound nicer then some of the people I've run into at the DMV

Am I nicer than the people at the DMV? :p

-m

I am not angry at you.
korri

Postby korri » 01 Feb 2010, 21:34

Matt wrote:
korri wrote:They certainly sound nicer then some of the people I've run into at the DMV

-m

Yes probably
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 01 Feb 2010, 23:10

korri wrote:
Matt wrote:

-m

Yes probably

then case in point.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Keith K
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Keith K » 01 Feb 2010, 23:22

Take it from someone in a province sans public insurance options. You are very lucky.
PenninInk

Postby PenninInk » 01 Feb 2010, 23:25

For my permit, we traveled to the Wampsville DMV. It was quite a drive, but worth it. I didn't have to wait, the counter ladies were sweet as apple pie, and, oh yeah, I ACED my written. As in, 100% right answers.

I'm awesome.
"Mind you, the Elizabethans had so many words for the female genitals that it is quite hard to speak a sentence of modern English without inadvertently mentioning at least three of them."

-Terry Pratchett
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 01 Feb 2010, 23:57

I failed my L last week :P, gotta study then try it again.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 02 Feb 2010, 03:39

No shame in that. I knew someone who failed it 4 times before they finally got it.
I was surprised that I got it on my first try. It just took me two years to actually get around to reading the book and getting ready for it and whatnot.

Also,
TomBrend wrote:Also "facial recognition queue"?

This.
Lorithad

Postby Lorithad » 02 Feb 2010, 04:16

I'm kind of terrified by the fact that people fail the L test. My younger brother and I took it on the same day, for the first time, and both passed on our first attempts.

Cursory glance at the book on my part. Common sense for the rest of it.
My brother, i'm not sure what sort of preparation he had.

Either way, if our sister hadn't dragged us both out of bed one summer morning, I doubt i'd have my full license today.
Matt wrote:Lorithad, you should be ashamed of yourself. You are bad, and you should feel bad.
korri

Postby korri » 02 Feb 2010, 06:53

I might have failed the driving part of our license test.... twice... The first time because of parallel parking (when you have a driveway and a garage, you don't get much practice) and the second time because I went the wrong way on a one way street...

Ok, so I'm not as dumb as I sound, the way the streets are laid out in the area where we take the test are dumb. The road goes from a regular two lane to a divide road at the intersection where they tell you to turn left and its one of those medians that has trees and stuff in it so the left side looks like a continuation of the regular road. Anyway, the instructor tells me to turn left, so I do onto the left side of the median... there are no "do not enter" or "wrong way' signs and needless to say I failed...

Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 02 Feb 2010, 10:05

Re: facial recognition: all licence cards are run through a facial rec system and then cross checked by hand to prevent fraud. Basically, it's just there to keep people from getting multiple licence records, or getting a licence under one name while suspended under another.

It's no big deal, but it sometimes holds cards up a couple weeks. Most provinces have a similar system.

-m

I am not angry at you.
CommanderKeen
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby CommanderKeen » 03 Feb 2010, 00:58

Most of the time I've found at least, if you show up with all the proper info and are prepared ahead of time you'll have no problems at all. But you know, I do my research before doing things. Go figure

Return to “General Discussion”