After the Game

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

After the Game

Postby Arius » 04 Mar 2010, 10:18

On my shelf, I currently have 18 games that I haven't finished yet. Not including the ones in my GameCube jackets and binder of original X-Box games, plus a handful of Steam games I stopped playing. And I know I have one N64 game I haven't beaten.

But, even if I added those all together, they still wouldn't count up to all the finished games I have that I haven't played since I beat them the first time.

It makes sense now, to keep games after you've finished them for expansions down the road. But, I still have a lot of games that have sequels that I don't even play anymore.

And I even have games I hate but have beaten left over.

So, I tend to keep my games rather than trading them in for something new or selling them to make a few bucks.

What do you do with your games when you stop playing?
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Re: After the Game

Postby Master Gunner » 04 Mar 2010, 10:39

Put them back on the shelf, some of them to take down later to play again (Diablo, GTA, the Tie Fighter games, for example), others just fall through the cracks or sit on the shelves for ten years until they get thrown out in a cleaning, and many are traded into EB for credit/a new game.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 04 Mar 2010, 10:43

I own like 10 games total. It's not really a problem for me.
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 04 Mar 2010, 11:14

Eh, good games are like books, keep it to show where you've come from. I keep every game I like and/or want as a trophy. Otherwise, to GameStop it goes for something better.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 04 Mar 2010, 11:30

I sell my games when I stop playing them, I then use the money to buy new games. At any given moment I only own about 10-12 games (no counting my VAST back catalog of old PC games I could never sell). I kinda wish I hadn't sold all my old NES,Genesis,SNES games and such, but that's what emulators are for!
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 04 Mar 2010, 11:54

I trade em in, then regret it and re-buy them next year.
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 04 Mar 2010, 12:13

I keep all my games. Sometimes I get the irresistable urge to play them. Although I also have games that I bought and never touched. Like Bayonetta. Mass Effect 1 and 2 stole me away from it.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
Arius

Postby Arius » 04 Mar 2010, 12:37

Here we go, games I have, but have yet to finish:

Ones I probably never will:
Ogre Battle 64: Got it shortly before the Gamecube came out.
Black & White: Monotonous.
Black & White 2: Monotonous.
Black: Got a 360 right after getting this.
Castlevania Curse of Darkness: Has there ever been a good 3D Castlevania?
Forza Motorsport: I hate racing games.
Gladius: Monotonous.
Ninja Gaiden Black Sigma: So freaking long and unforgiving.
Pariah: I'm not sure why I stopped playing.
Sonic Heroes: Quit at the Haunted House level and haven't picked it up yet.
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance: This game never ends...
Geist: The last boss is completely impossible.
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life: Long, fun, but long.
True Crime: New York City: So buggy.

Games I might finish:
Eternal Sonata: I play 2 hours a year. It's gotta be over sometime. But so slow paced... My god...
Farcry 2: My best buddy is gonna die... I like him.
Infinite Undiscovery: Last I remember, I was climbing a mountain with boulders rolling down and one hit kill enemies...
The Last Remnant: Couldn't they have done something with those textures? Patch them? Also, are closed world JRPGs popular now or something?
Lost Odyssey: I'm on the fourth disc at least.
Ninja Gaiden 2: Why do I keep buying these games?
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising: I actually really, really enjoy this game, but I want to play it with friends.
Red Faction Guerilla: It's so freaking linear. I'd like to be able to choose what I liberate next.
Silent Hill Homecoming: So much fighting, and I haven't found anything to heal me in an hour.
Star Ocean: The Last Hope: I made it to the final boss, but am to weak to defeat him. Shouldn't that just not happen?
Street Fighter IV: I can't make it past the third fight.
Tenchu Z: I never thought a game about being a ninja assassin could be boring, but here we are.
Tom Clancy's Endwar: Actually pretty fun. But I haven't finished a strategy game yet, not gonna start here.
Turok: You mean Primordial Halo: Combat Unevolved?
Madworld The action stops every 30 seconds for a cutscene. It even pulls you out for cutscenes while you're in the middle of an attack just to show people dying.
Rune Factory Frontier: I actually thought I was gonna finish this game because it had fighting and such to keep me busy. But, I need to get stronger to finish off the last dungeon.
Harvest Moon DS: Long long long long long.
Last edited by Arius on 04 Mar 2010, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 04 Mar 2010, 12:47

You should finish Sonic Heroes, because the secret ending is kinda cool, and Far Cry because it's a great game. Replayable, too.

Lost Oddesy just because, c'mon, 4 discs? And you're on 4? It'd be silly not to.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 04 Mar 2010, 12:48

Theremin wrote:I trade em in, then regret it and re-buy them next year.

This.
Nothing to see here.
operagirl95

Postby operagirl95 » 04 Mar 2010, 12:51

There's nothing wrong with not finishing a game because it's not your thing (either in skills or story.)

I haven't played much, but there's only 1 game that will never be finished: Warrior Within. I just stopped caring about 20 mins + boss fight from the end. (watched TH finish it, and I STILL don't want to play the last part.)
Arius

Postby Arius » 04 Mar 2010, 12:59

The thing about those games is most of them have a lot of good parts.

Tenchu Z was actually fun for a while, but eventually it became the same thing forever. Hide in bush. Stab guard. Hide guard in bush. Wait. Stab next guard. Hide guard in bush. Find new bush. Repeat. Look for shadow on a shoji screen. Stab shadow, killing target.

And despite the horrid pacing of Eternal Sonata, the story is actually good and the combat is interesting.

And the games that are just hard, I refuse to let them beat me. I will not be defeated by a toy.
I am a man!
operagirl95

Postby operagirl95 » 04 Mar 2010, 13:21

Well, in the case of Eternal Sonata can't you just play it when you need a break from something more difficult? Then you're not being exposed to the horrible cutscenes all the time.

And I need a "I AM A WOMAN" sound. I almost broke the GambeCube controller last weekend, and yet I'm still playing Two Thrones. And TH can't figure out why.....
Arius

Postby Arius » 04 Mar 2010, 13:30

operagirl95 wrote:Well, in the case of Eternal Sonata can't you just play it when you need a break from something more difficult? Then you're not being exposed to the horrible cutscenes all the time.

That's pretty much what I do, except it's more along the lines of running out of games to play and popping it in.

operagirl95 wrote:And I need a "I AM A WOMAN" sound. I almost broke the GambeCube controller last weekend, and yet I'm still playing Two Thrones. And TH can't figure out why.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le0G1WscAmA

?
operagirl95

Postby operagirl95 » 04 Mar 2010, 13:49

WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 06 Mar 2010, 15:04

I usually keep every game I purchase - I seldom sold any I buy, with the exception of TNA Impact for an obvious reason - and after about six months, I end up deleting the file from my memory cards. That gives me a need and a drive to play the game again, and sometimes makes it fresh and new once more.
Credit to Foxmar
Myrph
First Video: Frozen Assets

Postby Myrph » 06 Mar 2010, 16:10

As a mainly PC gamer, I don't really have much opportunity to actually trade in games, as its pretty difficult to resell PC games, especially ones which use CD keys...

As a general rule though, I'll keep most of the games I get, unless I go for several months without playing them, or they were donated to me by a friend who emigrated, or they're just really really bad and I know there is a specific game which I want to go out and get for myself with the trade in money. Since store credit is usually more copious than money when trading in games, I'll usually buy a new game straight away with the stuff I trade in.
Dave-O_Boy
First Video: Unskipable

Postby Dave-O_Boy » 06 Mar 2010, 17:58

Keeping games you've beaten is like having Trophies on your shelves. I kind of regret selling any of the games I did.
~I'm probably not serious~
Oh and you can just call me Dave.
No need for the whole screen name.
WickedBoy6
First Video: Worst Day Ever

Postby WickedBoy6 » 07 Mar 2010, 03:27

I'm in agreement, but sometimes, a bad game is just a bad game, and keeping it is just a reminder of what a bad decision you made, i.e. TNA Impact. However, haven't sold my GBA games, despite my SP not working.
Credit to Foxmar
wartjr2373
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby wartjr2373 » 08 Mar 2010, 08:04

I'm usually careful about buying games, so there aren't many I don't like. When I do buy a game I don't like/can't play, I usually keep it anyway. I also usually buy games new, because I like supporting the industry.

In my naїveté, I did sell some games when I was younger. Mostly N64 games, some SNES. But I regret doing so, because some of the best games from that era are still $20-$30. I can still emulate those games, but I really like my closet of games. I, like some posters above me, consider my game collection to be a trophy case, and I keep all my trophies, even the worthless ones.
Just call me Dylan. It's easier to pronounce.

Zivlok

Postby Zivlok » 09 Mar 2010, 00:02

Given that my parents didn't allow me to get any gaming device before my 12th birthday, when I got a Gameboy Advance (yes, the old non-backlit kind), and I didn't really have much of an allowance, I would get a few games at Christmas/Birthday, beat them, and then trade them in for slightly worse games, and so on, until I was playing $5 original game boy games in the weeks preceding Birthday/Christmas. To this day, if I didn't absolutely love a game, I probably sell it. I also sell games that I absolutely loved, but are never going to replay - i.e. The Phoenix Wright games, which for me are mostly mildly amusing books, where sometimes it's really frustrating to figure out how to turn to the next page. The kinds of games I usually keep are puzzle games, games that are collections of games, and RPGs, especially the pokemon games. Also, these days all gameboy advance and older games, because nobody will buy them for more than a quarter, so I might as well keep them.

Return to “Video Games”