Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Postby Metcarfre » 03 Mar 2010, 14:12

So is anybody else playing this? I picked it up yesterday for a dollar (with some old credit I had at the Elephant's Bum). It's good fun. The single player is frenetic, at best, but it's entertaining. The multi looks really promising, despite the fact I suck right now.

I'm on the 360 incidentally.
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Postby Matt » 03 Mar 2010, 14:30

I should probably give it a try, but my interest is very limited.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 04 Mar 2010, 10:02

It's hard to explain the appeal of the game.

Not because it's hard to like but it's... hard to describe what makes it different from the other military FPS's out there.

It just... has to 'click' for you. The only thing I can maybe think to say is if modern warfare 2 isn't your cup of tea, you might prefer this game instead.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 04 Mar 2010, 10:08

Kyogissun wrote:The only thing I can maybe think to say is if modern warfare 2 isn't your cup of tea, you might prefer this game instead.

To be fair, the same could be said about any game other than MW2

---

I've heard some people claim it's better than MW2, but I'd rather wait a while. Opinions seem to change after a few weeks. Besides, my FPS collection is way too big.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 04 Mar 2010, 10:17

The difference is more, you can blow shit up.

I've heard claims of tactics, but with TDM now being in there I don't really see that.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 04 Mar 2010, 12:39

Played it last night.

Anyone saying it's a better game than MW2 needs their heads checked.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 04 Mar 2010, 17:08

Better, perhaps not, different, yes.

There are more tactics and strategy of a sort. First of all, vehicles add an interesting mix to the play. Multiplayer maps are huge. You become part of a 'squad' and can respawn with one of your squadmates or at a respawn point. The dynamic of being in a squad can be really interesting. Obviously, you have to find a good one, but once you do there's a lot more backing each other up and covering each other.

Example; normally, I'm a terrible sniper. But I do find it really fun to creep around the edges of a map and occasionally wing potshots in the general direction of enemies. One function of the game is that if you see an enemy or enemy vehicle you can 'tag' them, which marks them on your team's map.

So anyways, I was sniping, and was part of a decent squad. My other squadmates were close in protecting a flag, hiding in the bushes. What I did was tag enemies as they came into view of me with my view over the flag site. This allowed the other teammates to know where they were and wipe them out without giving up the position. And, occasionally, I would attempt to shoot them too.

All in all it added up to a really fun match where tactics actually mattered.

The campaign is pretty terrible though.

Other general thoughts; weapons are more 'sloppy', accuracy-wise. You can't pump half a magazine into someone's chest from 100 feet away like you can in MW2.

The destructable terrain is very cool, though it affects multiplayer less than you might think since the maps are so large.

Some maps are too big.

Some of the menus are finicky and weird.

Overall I'm finding it really fun for the moment.
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 06 Mar 2010, 00:19

Matt wrote:Played it last night.

-m

Never thought it was better, just different and my preference.

Never was fond of the gameplay style of MW2. Again, it's not bad I just... suck at it big time.

But I've been kicking major ass in this game. It's not that I don't like losing, I just couldn't make myself play MW2 better.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f

The R

Postby The R » 10 Mar 2010, 19:16

Matt wrote:Played it last night.

-m

Hey screw you, I found it fantastic.

Even my friend who is hardcore into MW2 found it much more fun. Vehicles, destructible objects and a playerbase on the mic that is 800X less annoying. Also MW2 I found way too claustrophobic in most of the maps, and the whole OHGOD IM COVERED IN BLOOD gets annoying. Futhermore, it is one of the very few games that has sound that actually sounds very war-like and distant echo ect. (and we both played MW2 and BFBC2 on the same high-end 5.1 surround system and BFBC2 sounded much better).

As said before it is more strategy, which I much prefer. Like playing engineer while riding in a tank helping spot targets, jumping out to do repairs, jumping out to place some land mines and get back in and machinegun down any recon guys that my main gunner missed. Oh and that medic that defrib'd me when I got sniped.

Also nothing is more satisfying than using the anti-aircraft machineguns on that tank to deflection shoot down a helicopter and then rip apart a building into shreds. I don't get why with the hardware we have these days why there are so few games that allow for destructible environments.

My only problem is that the controls are kinda finicky and changed configuration too much(I tried the PS3 version)

-R
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 10 Mar 2010, 23:52

Oh my goodness yes, the sound design is simply incredible! And yeah, sometimes the controls are weird... but when you're shoehorning in controls for a dude, a tank, a jeep, a boat, a helicopter, a UAV, etc., it gets hairy. I still don't know how to open a parachute.

It breaks down to;
If you like fast, twitchy shooters with tight levels, MW2
If you like large maps, strategy, and teamwork, BFBC2.

That being said, I enjoy both... still 'only' about level 54 in MW2.
Uznare

Postby Uznare » 11 Mar 2010, 08:22

I think this video explains quite well why Bad Company 2 is infinitely better than MW2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4fkH9qC4M
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 11 Mar 2010, 09:07

Maybe not how it's better, but at least how it's different. I have my issues with the game.
Kyogissun

Postby Kyogissun » 12 Mar 2010, 08:47

Yeah, things like:
-No kit saving depending on what sidemarm and specs you have equipped
-Problems the past weekends with server downtime
-hitbox detection problems concerning the knife
-The time between a 'building coming down alert' and the actual building coming down is roughly 3-4 seconds and I keep losing points because my DUMBASS TEAMMATES can't get out... Also, I've seen good teammates and my squadmates I play with very frequently be OUTSIDE of the building but still get killed

It's minor shit like that but nothing 'hugely' problematic.

Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Mar 2010, 11:39

It's the weird restraints they have... you can only change kit in the middle of a game, not between games or when offline in the game menu. You can ONLY quit in the middle of a game, not between games... they really encourage you to play and stick to it for an hour or two. I'm so used to, on MW2, hopping in a game, figuring out the guys playing are much better than myself, hopping out, picking a new game, etc.

On the plus side, the gameplay is definitely more my style so my K/D ratio is like .98 (much better than my MW2 ratio).

I think the knife 'hitbox' is no worse than, say, MW2's.
theashigaru
First Video: The Con

Postby theashigaru » 12 Mar 2010, 16:18

Press spacebar to open your parachute metcarfre. But I think once a couple of patches get rolled out, this game will be completely brilliant! Not that it isn't fun now, but as it has been noted there are a few issues with it.

The sound design is amazing. Turning on the WarTapes setting is completely epic, but it makes it hard to hear anything useful as its always so loud. What really does it for me though, is the variety! Kyogissun outlined that pretty well already, but its a testament to gameplay that I can enjoy hiding behind a wall a little ways away from the MCom station just giving my squadmates a spawn as much as driving a tank blowing buildings down. Running around knifing the n00b recons is crazy fun too though, i'm not gonna lie!
Is it safe?
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Mar 2010, 19:01

Yes, the spacebar on my Xbox controller, of course.

And the servers are down right now. Sigh.
FFN
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming, I think

Postby FFN » 18 Mar 2010, 08:28

From what I have seen, Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer is not nearly as refined as Bad Company 2's multi.

Modern Warfare 2 has a tighter single player campaign, but only because it's largely on-rails and is extremely heavily scripted, while Bad Company 2 gives you the freedom to approach situations from different directions and such. Also, weapons in BC2 can miss! No more Modern Warfare 2's instant bullet teleportation and unerring accuracy!

Also, destructible environments.
http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.
T3h Merc
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby T3h Merc » 20 Mar 2010, 21:48

It's not really my thing. Looks like a PS2 game and plays like Call of Duty with a much worse layout/HUD.
You can find me on Xbox Live or The Escapist under this name.

FFN

Postby FFN » 21 Mar 2010, 08:13

PS2 game? You gotta be joking.
http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.
davefp

Postby davefp » 21 Mar 2010, 18:30

Uznare wrote:I think this video explains quite well why Bad Company 2 is infinitely better than MW2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p4fkH9qC4M

Ok, after watching that video I want to buy it. Maybe after I get back from PAX next week...
luisc

Postby luisc » 22 Mar 2010, 07:25

I feel this game is great. I love BFBC2 and I really do enjoy it more than I enjoyed MW1 or 2. The reason: its more about fun and less about Deathmatch.

I personally love the engineer and the fact that I can blow up Apaches with RPGs. Its like having SP set pieces in MP. its a great feeling.
FFN

Postby FFN » 24 Mar 2010, 23:00

I think I'm ready to finally enter the world of online FPS games. I am a noob and will be shot to pieces upon spawning :(
Joshua
First Video: Dont remember

Postby Joshua » 25 Mar 2010, 02:54

I love this game so much, Medic is win.
We feel free when we escape--even if it be but from the frying pan into the fire.
The R

Postby The R » 26 Mar 2010, 13:23

FFN wrote:I think I'm ready to finally enter the world of online FPS games. I am a noob and will be shot to pieces upon spawning :(

My advice on first time playing is that you should avoid spawning to your squad who are in the thick of the battle until you get better/used to the game or else you will be shot up to bits. Spawn at the default area or a base that is well surrounded with your guys.

Start with Assault or Medic. Come to think of it probably medic since he has a pretty awesome gun to start with. Also once you get the ability to toss medpacks you will get lots and lots of points.

Recon and engineer will be much more difficult to start with; I say this because engineer (although its my favorite) is really hard to get used to at first since his supressed SMG he starts with is has little ammo and the RPG7 takes a very long time to reload. But later on if you get good enough with him you can get one of the better SMG's and land mines & the other rocket launchers are crazy awesome.

In general keep everything in short bursts, your accuracy is FAR less in full auto than other games so its less "Spray and Pray" which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you take it (later on there are other weapons that are more accurate in full auto). Also especially for recon, bullets are affected by gravity, so for that across the entire map shot you might wanna aim a tad higher. Shooting down helicopters, will at some point require to deflection shoot and predict where they will be if you are using an RPG7.

The knife, use to cut through fences & doors that are in your way. Knifing is significantly harder to do than in other games or as a friend of mine put it "MW2 made it too easy to knife", so only really do it if you are sure the guy has no backup around and does not notice you from behind.

Vehicles, for crying out loud, if you don't know how to pilot a helicopter don't fly one! If you do, make sure some of your teammates have hopped in and are manning the guns. I cannot stress this enough, ive seen many morons take the helicopter with no gunners/men and get shot down into the enemy base and die on impact. You only get a few helicopters, and they can change the outcome if used properly.

Heavy tanks, place your shots well (long reload times and your rounds are more for other vehicles and structures so don't expect your main gun to have much splash damage for individual troops) and make SURE you have a friend manning the machinegun. The guy manning the machinegun is CRITICAL to keeping any pesky recons who are trying to C4 your tank into oblivion or to clear any engineer mines. Also having the machinegunner who is an engineer is also a plus so he can hop out and do repairs. Also know when to pull back! ive seen lots of people who had engineers on their team who kept going fowards into battle with a heavily damaged tank and lost it when they could have pulled back and let the engineers repair them and even lob a few shells out on the retreat.

Light tanks and other vehicles know how to change places especially if you are in either the left or right machinegun for a light tank. Pressing the change position button can move you around to face a better line of sight.

Static defenses are great but keep in mind they are a sniper magnet, so if you hear any bullets whizzing by its best you move on.

Use cover lots, even blown up tanks can be great cover. Ive been an engineer many times behind a tank that was just blown up and hidden by the wreakage, and got some people running past thinking they took out everyone in the tank explosion.
FFN

Postby FFN » 27 Mar 2010, 11:10

I love Rush mode. Especially if the attackers are just a bit better than the defenders. The well, rush of being pushed back in an ever-desperate defense. Some locations are fun to defend, like that big building in one of the snowy maps with lots of rooms. Lots of walls so it would take an attacker very long to blow up outright, so they can be ground down by the defenders spawning inside or around it (with their surviving team mates).

Victory from the jaws of defeat!

Return to “Video Games”