Whats in a Username?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Whats in a Username?

Postby Machalllewis » 23 Apr 2010, 12:58

So these are the things that we choose to go by. They identify us and make us known and recognised by. They end up with connotations and respect or derision. And we chose them. We sat down and at some point decided that this was our handle that we are going to go by for whatever the duration of time that we spend on each and every forum, whether you have different names for each or the same common one.

I personally chose mine way back when I first really discovered webcomics and realised that Silverwolf1UK is actually a really embarrasing thing to put on forms as your email address. I then changed my email address and with it came the change in my net handle.

I have also gone by James_Stice before settling on Machalllewis which I now use everywhere. Machalllewis is based on the now no longer updated webcomic Machall coupled with my first name. Nowhere else on the net has it and if you google it then up comes me.

So, why did you choose your net handles and what is the explanation behind it? I am paticularly interested in where the hell mod "Graham" got his. I mean, come onnnnn, how generic man. I'm suprised nobody else had already gotten it.

Honestly though, I am interested and would like to know just where it all comes from.
Nothing to see here.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Re: Whats in a Username?

Postby iamafish » 23 Apr 2010, 13:02

two words

Red Dwarf.

If you know why i have this username now, you win, if not you lose.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 23 Apr 2010, 13:07

A half-orc rouge and letting my father set up the xbox live account. He put the gamertag as madrak the red. I liked, stuck with it, used it for my email address and consequently my screen name in other things internety. Good times.

And the other mods! Matt, James, Kathleen.. all so regular and dull...
Keelah Se'lai
octopimpostor
First Video: Halo

Postby octopimpostor » 23 Apr 2010, 13:11

i got octopimpostor from desertbus. octopimp wasn't around and everyone was calling for him, so i switched from my previous username of "mograppler" (which stands for MO Grappler or missouri wrestler) to octopimpostor. it was originally going to be octopimpersonator, but that wouldn't fit so i went with pimpostor. thats the origin of octopimpostor.
My total fail count: 6
Dubious_wolf wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:My total fail count: 7...8

[/quote]
Link to my desert bus video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrIfi2ORK8
my other video that will soon be a series is here. REAL VIDEOGAME CHARACTERS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj2T7wIymsk
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 23 Apr 2010, 13:18

Part of my name and a Douglas Adams reference. Again, unique to me.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 23 Apr 2010, 13:21

My last name.

Because my last name is actually pretty cool.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
Sylval
First Video: fun with microwaves

Postby Sylval » 23 Apr 2010, 13:23

I needed a name for my WoW character so i asked my friend if i could take the name of the main character in the book he was writing. And now i use Sylval for everything.
“So, what you’re saying is that you have a problem that is totally your problem, but you’d like to find a way to make that problem my problem. But here’s the problem, it’s not my problem.”
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 23 Apr 2010, 13:24

@Madrack you should use your browser fucking up (are you using IE? :P) as an excuse to create 3 stories about the origin of your username and make us guess which is true
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 23 Apr 2010, 13:25

There are actually multiple meanings to my name. I've been 2stepz since late 2003 early 2004? Some of the reasons can be found below.

I find myself dancing at the oddest times without realizing it. For example... through the clothes racks when shopping. I hear music thus I dance... without much conscious thought it seems. The American two step is a cousin of the spanish PasoDoble.

It was orignally 2stepz4ward, but got shortened at some point. I don't really remember why the curtailment. Two steps forward, three steps back was a popular country song during my formative years. Basically... you can make moves forward, but somethings gonna come along to push you back. Accept it and be ready.

There's another side which comes from my theory... when life throws shit your way... there's two steps to dealing with it. You accept that the hurdle is there, and then you move forward to solving it. This eliminates the common issues of struggling with "Why Me?" and "Only if..."

anyway.... there's a start at why I am me. Some deep, some shallow...
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 23 Apr 2010, 13:27

I needed something I enjoyed that was vaguely representative of some aspect of my personality.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 23 Apr 2010, 13:28

I think mine would speak for itself.
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 23 Apr 2010, 13:29

Theremin wrote:I needed something I enjoyed that was vaguely representative of some aspect of my personality.

Details sir. Which aspect? How therminy is this aspect? Come on guys. I want backstory here. Usernames are the initial impression that we have!

Edit: Ya know how people go "He doesn't look like a Kevin." Well imagine if you picked the name Kevin.
Nothing to see here.
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 23 Apr 2010, 13:31

Machalllewis wrote:
Theremin wrote:I needed something I enjoyed that was vaguely representative of some aspect of my personality.

Details sir. Which aspect? How therminy is this aspect? Come on guys. I want backstory here. Usernames are the initial impression that we have!

Edit: Ya know how people go "He doesn't look like a Kevin." Well imagine if you picked the name Kevin.

Something vaguely odd and foreign, that is shrill and unignorable while also fluctuating wildly.
luinie
First Video: Time is Money

Postby luinie » 23 Apr 2010, 13:37

Cool story, 2stepz.

A little after I found out about this kinda cool thing called 'the internet' I participated in a forum RPG in a long gone forum. It was set in Tolkien's Middle-Earth, and my character was called Eleclya (oh, those days... over seven years ago). Anyway, I made up a name for her mother, and grew fond of the name Luinelwen. It's combination of elven Quenya/Sindarin words luin 'blue', el 'star' and wen 'maiden'.
Somehow the name shortened to Luinie, which I now use pretty much everywhere. I sometimes use variations like Luinar or Lulla.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Apr 2010, 13:41

First forum I signed up to was Battleground Halo back in 2001/2002. Obviously, many people had screen names along the lines of MasterChiefXYZ. Being slightly more creative than that, and usually being the warthog gunner when my brother and I played co-op, I went with Master Gunner. Seeing as the next few forums I went to were also Halo-related, I stuck with it, changed my MSN name to that when I started talking people I met online with that, and eventually just stuck with it when I went elsewhere.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 23 Apr 2010, 13:46

I don't know why I use this nickname.

I just do.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 23 Apr 2010, 13:53

It was something I just randomly thought of while signing up for Neopets during the Digimon craze period of the 90s. I've just stuck with it ever since, even though it tends to get conjuncted to just "Lying" in conversation.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 23 Apr 2010, 13:59

Glad to see someone with an older handle than mine.

Came up with it in Feb 2003 while signing up at gamefaqs.

Can't remember the etymology.
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 23 Apr 2010, 13:59

My original username, created back when dinosaurs roamed the 'net. was pianogirl95: one of my hobbies, gender identifier, and year graduated from high school. Woo, creative.

After 10+ years, started singing more than playing and came up with: operagirl95. Woo, even more creative.

For those who know me outside the forum, thatlaurachick came about because:
1. I'm no longer an opera major.
2. My former married name was so common it's impossible to use online

Sweet irony? Just weeks after creating thatlaurachick, could have used my maiden name, which is unique. Only 5 people in the US have my last name, and I know all of them.
Last edited by operagirl95 on 23 Apr 2010, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 23 Apr 2010, 14:03

What is it?
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 23 Apr 2010, 14:12

GCNinja
Ive used it fro about 3years now, i got the idea from a friend of mine who used the name "white ninja" (ironically hes native american)
It took me about an hour and sincei lover ninjas i decided to do a variation of it, thus thinking.. "hmm i live at the grand canyon.. GC.. GCNinja?" and BAM its perfect, rolls perfectly and fits nicely

Grand Canyon Ninja. Though i do get ALOT "is that Gamecube Ninja?" and i understand why
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
operagirl95

Postby operagirl95 » 23 Apr 2010, 14:17

Theremin wrote:What is it?

You follow me on twitter, look at my profile. :P
Theremin

Postby Theremin » 23 Apr 2010, 14:20

I just accept points of information, rather than connecting them with thought processes. :P
Darkobra
First Video: ISC: Goat Penis

Postby Darkobra » 23 Apr 2010, 14:22

Well I was doing a martial arts class at a campus, summer 2002. It wasn't my style. My style was karate. Theirs was vastly different and I felt the basic technique behind it was inferior to everything I had already learned after spending... Let's see, 15 years now so... 7 years back then. Maybe the advanced techniques could have taught me a trick or two more but even to this day, I feel my basic moves were faster, stronger and had more technique behind them.

Anyway, I left that class after the first lesson. Went to a computing class. "Now, put in your e-mail!" "My what?" I had never had one. Spent an hour thinking of a name. A name says a lot about a person. It is who you are. It is the first impression. It will be what you'll be called. So I thought of my interests. My favourite things. My favourite animals.

So I figured "I like knights. They're powerful. They're warriors and they also fight for the right reasons." So I thought maybe Knightmare or Dark Knight. Then I thought "Well I also like snakes. Fast. Powerful. Precise. Everything I've trained to be to make sure I get the exact pressure points." The cobra was amongst my favourites. So I thought of Dark Cobra. Didn't quit seem right. Dark Kobra. There we go, looking a bit better. Then I had the revelation of adding the two K's together.

And that is how I got my name.
Lyinginbedmon wrote:You are clearly some form of incorporeal undead.
Like a vampire.
But with knives.
operagirl95

Postby operagirl95 » 23 Apr 2010, 14:23

@Theremin *sigh* Tomaja

Return to “General Discussion”