Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Matt
LRR Crew

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby Matt » 03 May 2010, 08:45

The military has very strict guidelines on the makeup of a squad.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1681-Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot

(Please Digg this)

-m

I am not angry at you.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby Vigafre » 03 May 2010, 08:46

I thought it was funny. Took me a while to figure out they were talking about military stereotypes, and I have no idea why.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Postby I X » 03 May 2010, 08:52

Loved it. I got the idea straightaway and after that it only got funnier.

Also: MORGAN GET!
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
goat

Postby goat » 03 May 2010, 09:05

Ahahaha, well played.

What was the noise that occurs on the first over the shoulder shot (over morgan's shoulder that is)?
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 03 May 2010, 09:39

I was a little surprised, but not displeased, that the video didn't take a Village People turn in the stinger. I guess there are more navy stereotypes than I realized.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 03 May 2010, 09:46

Very very funny, Paul seems to be on a roll with the silly videos of late.

Also, yay for the return of the T-shirt ad.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 03 May 2010, 10:47

I'm going to have to watch this one again later. I certainly understood the humour involved but I just wasn't laughing. I'll try again when I'm more awake.

A this point the T-shirt ad was the funniest to me. I'm glad you're finally getting those in. Now I'm just trying to remember if any of the videos since January have use the "Awww Muffin" line. Would those on the Escapist recognize it?
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
operagirl95
First Video: n

Postby operagirl95 » 03 May 2010, 10:49

Very well written and played. Though, Morgan's tie flopping about was really distracting.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 May 2010, 11:08

Evil Jim wrote:I'm going to have to watch this one again later. I certainly understood the humour involved but I just wasn't laughing. I'll try again when I'm more awake.

A this point the T-shirt ad was the funniest to me. I'm glad you're finally getting those in. Now I'm just trying to remember if any of the videos since January have use the "Awww Muffin" line. Would those on the Escapist recognize it?

Aww Muffin isn't really a LRR thing. It's just a common turn of phrase.

The people who aren't getting it are boggling my mind.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Ayailla
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby Ayailla » 03 May 2010, 11:11

Extremely well written and hilarious. Loved the title. :D I feel the blinds were more distracting than Morgan's tie. One thing, though... they were wearing jeans?

Hooray Paul!

Matt wrote:Aww Muffin isn't really a LRR thing. It's just a common turn of phrase.

The people who aren't getting it are boggling my mind.

Kind of similar to the "eat a bowl of dicks" thing then, eh? I pray that's not the next t-shirt design, by the way...

PROGRAM_IX wrote:Also: MORGAN GET!
*If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad.* - Lord Byron
thunderkatz
First Video: Omnilingual

Postby thunderkatz » 03 May 2010, 11:37

Ayailla wrote:Kind of similar to the "eat a bowl of dicks" thing then, eh? I pray that's not the next t-shirt design, by the way...

...I think you may have just given them an idea.

All in all, I liked the idea and thought the video funny, but I feel like you could've expanded to more stereotypes and delayed flat-out saying "stereotype" a little longer."

Also, having the t-shirt ad at the end is like two stingers for the price of one! And the price is free!
UnspeakablePat
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby UnspeakablePat » 03 May 2010, 11:41

i lol'd

nice to see Morgan again,
Tim's absence of beard was kinda shocking

also, comment on the wardrobe, probably not intentional but i noticed the jeans, casual Friday at the base perhaps?
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 03 May 2010, 12:15

ye, saw the jeans at the end and was a little put out, but it didn't effect the vid, probably because it was at the end.

Good vid on the whole, reminded me a little of emergency situation, although clearly some people have been promoted and demoted.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 03 May 2010, 12:21

Meh, it was decent. I think the shirt advert was about as funny as the video, for me; that is to say, it was a good ad, and a kind of rushed-feeling video. It's a nifty idea though, and definitely reminiscent of Emergency Situation.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Sauter

Postby Sauter » 03 May 2010, 13:22

I was pretty disappointed when I saw that this video wasn't a cH, which is not to say that the content of this video disappointed me. It's just that cH is one of the best things in life. I like the new tee though. I'm actually considering buying it.
SecretsOfMoon
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby SecretsOfMoon » 03 May 2010, 13:27

Am I right in saying that there's a subtle Village People joke in there?

Shame on you, shame on you, shame on you as the new recruit. The song is now playing in your head. You're welcome.
I am the bearer of Sitra Ahra, the one who stands at the gates of Qliphoth, I am Maskim Xul.
4861696c20536174616e21
Depressive Realism Now!
Machalllewis
First Video: Ways to Stay Awake

Postby Machalllewis » 03 May 2010, 13:34

What about the douchebag psychopath solider you just KNOW is gonna be dead 10 minutes after the title card?
Nothing to see here.
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 03 May 2010, 13:56

Well written and shot, as usual.. sits well with your large number of good but not great sketches. Well done. ;)

.. the next great one is just around the corner. Just in case that wasn't clear.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
Asnone
First Video: Forget about it.

Postby Asnone » 03 May 2010, 13:56

What about the really annoying guy who no one likes but ends up taking a bullet for some one and being there best friend for about 30 seconds.
"I would rather pay tax than be dead! AARGH!!!"
"OK, but... Think about women's change rooms. We can finally look inside them."
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 03 May 2010, 15:05

I think I must mention a few things.. The shirts/sweaters are military ones, (from the blog comments) but those shoulder flaps usually have rank slides on them. Exhibit A.. Here! (Blue is Air Force, by the way :o)

The jeans substitute, I personally thought was hilarious. Being from military (albeit cadet) background and being an officer staying in a RAAF base's officers quarters.. Jeans would make an excellent "Casual Fridays~!" kind of thing xD

I actually get the preview pic as well (@Alja), the squad there is looking all serious-like.. Still not sure what the guitar's about though.. Jer?

All that said, due to my semi/current-military background, that was pretty awesome to see. Hurray stereotypes! That's actually something I'd show the senior NCO's at the cadet unit I'm an instructor at xD
Last edited by MattAn on 03 May 2010, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 03 May 2010, 15:07

I liked it, especially since it's the sort of thing I usually point out about war movies/games. Also, yay Morgan!

Also also, the "is it thursday bit" was a nice touch.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 03 May 2010, 15:25

Great vid. I loved all of it, especially being a fan of terrible war and action movies.

On the subject of the uniforms; it was not the uniforms themselves that threw me (they all seemed reasonable) but that none of them matched. I was primed for a subtle joke where Tim was an Army captain and Graham was a police captain.
MattAn
First Video: You're Kidding

Postby MattAn » 03 May 2010, 16:40

metcarfre wrote:Great vid. I loved all of it, especially being a fan of terrible war and action movies.

On the subject of the uniforms; it was not the uniforms themselves that threw me (they all seemed reasonable) but that none of them matched. I was primed for a subtle joke where Tim was an Army captain and Graham was a police captain.

Police or almost Air Force, if the blue is anything to go by. But yeah, I certainly wasn't expecting it to be all Army.. Then the Navy looked all Air Force too xD Hi-larious.
CGAdam
First Video: Morgan's Problem

Postby CGAdam » 03 May 2010, 16:58

As one who knows firsthand, I'd give my left arm to be able to wear jeans underway sometimes. The best we get is a crazy hat day on Fridays.

Unless you hit up an actual base or surplus store, I wouldn't have expected the costumes to be spot on. The attitudes of the Army captains, however, fits fine:
-if something is going to work, change it so it doesn't
-if it makes sense, it's a bad idea
-the only way is the way it's always been done
TomBrend
First Video: long long ago...

Postby TomBrend » 03 May 2010, 18:00

Now, I only really know about US Military stuff, but I don't think there is any officer uniform with a sweater here. Also, the blue is close to Air Force.

Aside from my nitpicking, excellent video. Tim and Graham really rocked the officer roles.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”