Installation Anxiety 2010

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
James
LRR Crew

Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby James » 24 May 2010, 08:56

Linux is the perfect OS, isn't it? This week:
PAUL@lrr:$ fdisk /dev/toaster/

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/1726-Installation-Anxiety-2010

So... this is a remake of this video:
http://loadingreadyrun.com/videos/view/201/Installation-Anxiety

Throw any question regarding the remake here and we will answer them either in the thread or during next weeks podcast. But in the mean time sit back and enjoy better production values!

Actually here are some answers to the obvious questions.

Why did we remake this?
As most of you know we were invited to w00tstock this year to showcase some of our videos. We decided that Installation Anxiety was a great video and could play really well with that type of audience (It totally did by the way) But we quickly realized that while it was a solid video it's production values no longer reflect what we are capable of. So we decided to re-shoot it. After w00tstock was over we discussed using it as one of our regular weekly updates. After several talks we decided to go for it for it. We know there will be a couple people that won't agree but we are proud of the remake and wanted to showcase it.

Are you going to remake more?
Who knows. It won't become a regular thing, so for those who think we copped out this week, don't worry. It won't happen again anytime soon. Brand new, totally original content returns next week, and the week after that, and the week after that, and the week after that. After that I can't make any promises as we haven't planned that far ahead.
Evil Keebler Elf
First Video: Desert Bus 1

Re: Installation Anxiety 2010

Postby Evil Keebler Elf » 24 May 2010, 09:02

Nice remake. So do you boil or fry perogies?
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 24 May 2010, 09:09

Links are broken, James!

Great remake, yes, but... why did you guys remake it? Seems like an odd choice (not the original, but to remake any of the videos) for you guys, and I kept expecting it to change, or be an else-worlds tale.

Edit (thanks for the answer, James. I'm really only disappointed that it didn't go Meta, which was what I was expecting.)
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
A Model Worker

Postby A Model Worker » 24 May 2010, 09:13

At least now my "Morgan Shot First" shirt is more relevant.
Processing the hell out of your natural language since 2008
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 24 May 2010, 09:18

Best part: The tremor in Grahams hair as Paul opens the bathroom door.
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 24 May 2010, 09:20

this looks so much better then the original. If only you had enough time to re-shoot all your old vids so they all looked so amazing. I'd rather you kept making awesome new stuff though :P
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 24 May 2010, 09:35

Thanks for the explanation, James, tho' since the remake was originally for a specific audience, I feel it would be better placed as DVD bonus content. Altho' the production values are definitely superior, I feel the overall acting & delivery of lines was better in the original. Also, I miss seeing Linux on Graham's cell phone & DS, one of my favourite visual gags. :)

epocalypse wrote:I'm really only disappointed that it didn't go Meta, which was what I was expecting.

And also, Paul's stinger of "Dy-no-MIIITE!" But I presume that was originally an out take.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 24 May 2010, 09:40

Thanks for the explanation, it certainly does demonstrate how far you've come.

I think there were a few hopes that maybe you'd gone for the Director's Cut version and used the Brazil ending.

Errm yeah, that's about all I've got to say. Funny video is funny whether a remake or the original.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 24 May 2010, 09:40

Thanks to James for answering my question before I even asked it. I thought w00tstock might have had something to do with the remake. Plus, this one has Morgan smacking himself in the face with the wiimote, which was an added laugh for me.

I'm sure I know which video most people would want you to reshoot if you did more of this, but I would love to see a remake of Max Effect. Graham at the ENN desk, Matt and Paul with higher quality green-screening. It would look so much more like an actual news show if you were to redo it now.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 24 May 2010, 09:43

Hmm... I'm not sure about it being a Monday update. Not totally sold on that, but then I'm also not against it either. I'd be interested to know some of the more in-depth reasoning that must have been discussed, and no doubt that'll be in the next podcast.

Anyway, very well put together, and I'm glad it went over well at W00tstock. :D It certainly is better than the original.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 24 May 2010, 09:45

Explanation was nice, I just hope no more videos are remade. It's heavily opinionated, but Installation Anxiety was one of the first updates I was here for, so the original has too much nostalgic value for me to consider this re-shoot any good. Typical nice camera work and acting, It's just not the original, still I'm sure people who didn't see it the first time will enjoy it.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 24 May 2010, 09:57

Well that explanation makes perfect sense. I also like that Graham no longer has to bend over to obviously hold the keyboard cable in place while Paul upgrades him. Makes the effect look much better.

...although Paul doesn't look quite as mad scientisty without the beard.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 24 May 2010, 10:17

I actually prefer the original version on that better as it looks like he's really in serious pain there. As for the newer version, I suggest they used a hidden magnet under Graham's shirt. Anyone else got ideas?

Edit:
Ok, I take that back. Upon watching just that one segment again I rather like the sound effects & the way Graham jerks around. I suspect it's a slightly different feeling than just being poked in the gut really hard.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 May 2010, 10:20

I think the Brazil ending should have been added to the remake.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Checky_Girl
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Checky_Girl » 24 May 2010, 10:30

I loved the remake! It looked way better than the original (even though that was funny as hell as well) and I think it was a good improvement on something that was already awesome, making even more awesome!
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 24 May 2010, 11:00

Now all they need to redo is The Danger of Cigarettes & Suspend Your Disbelief. ;)
Sk8sheep24
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Sk8sheep24 » 24 May 2010, 12:04

Honestly I don't think it really needed a remake. The remake doesn't particularly add anything in the way of new stuff that you have to do things with, since all you really need is a keyboard. I understand the new one shows off some better camera techniques and is of course higher quality, but I prefer the delivery of the lines in the original just a tad.
I did enjoy watching it, and don't think it was a cop out at all.

Anyway, I have a question:
I noticed you made some minor changes, like frying instead of boiling, but what other changes, if any, did you consider? Any much bigger ones?
Sachiel

Postby Sachiel » 24 May 2010, 12:04

While this was probably an interesting treat for the Escapist crowd, I have to say I am a bit disappointed at the rehash. I prefer new jokes to ones I have already heard.
Emberwolf
First Video: The Mirror

Postby Emberwolf » 24 May 2010, 12:17

I have almost equal love for both versions. The original is one of my favourites (to the point where it's one I use to introduce people to LRR), but it was great to see it given a shiny new take. While I agree that some things seem to work better in the original, I'm glad that all the key 'funny stuff' was kept true.
That said, I'm now going to rewatch them (original/remake) back to back again
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun....
Katharine Hepburn
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 May 2010, 12:41

Looking at it again it is better paced and I like it more now (not that I didn't like it last time).
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 24 May 2010, 12:44

I still found this one funny since I haven't watched the original for a while. Also, I'm not very opinionated when it comes to LRR vids.

I liked it. I sort of agree with people on the delivery, but that might be the case because I kept expecting a not remake, if that makes sense (prolly not).

That last sentence. That last sentence right up there (^) makes no sense. I'm sorry.
Last edited by Vigafre on 24 May 2010, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowflame66
First Video: Unskippable- Eternal Sonata

Postby Shadowflame66 » 24 May 2010, 13:02

I was surprised, I expected it to be a sequel at first and I was excited, then I kept expecting it to go a different way or something.

In the end, though, I'm happy to see an old video redone if for nothing other than seeing the difference in production quality for you guys between now and then.

It definitely didn't feel like a cop-out, like most of your videos it had the signs of effort and was very well made. And to be honest I laughed just like the first time. Good choice of video to remake, and thanks for putting it up for us to see!
ImageImage
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 24 May 2010, 13:03

Maybe there will be a 2010 remake of Girly Magazine Quiz *Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed*
Splunge

Postby Splunge » 24 May 2010, 13:05

Installation Anxiety remains one of my favourite episodes of all time, since, to the best of my recollection, it was the first one I ever saw. However, one of the things I loved about it was that it really didn't feel at all limited by your old practices. Sure, it's not in HD, and the sound fidelity is a bit worse, but the video is still a perfect piece of comedy. I don't think the timing was ever rushed or lagging in the original.
I kept expecting the remake to do *something* new. Something to distinguish itself from ust a simple scene-for-scene remake in a new location with better equipment, but it never happened. It doesn't seem any *better* than the original. If you were remaking an episode which needed a better location, or more technical visual effects, then I could understand it, but this just didn't seem all that desperate for a remake, guys.
Fun is the feedback the brain gives while successfully absorbing a pattern - Raph Koster
I'm think I might be indirectly responsible for Bagel Time!
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 24 May 2010, 13:05

Shadowflame66 wrote:I was surprised, I expected it to be a sequel at first and I was excited, then I kept expecting it to go a different way or something.

I will admit that I did half wonder this as I was watching. Of course I immediately fired up the Original to rewatch as well as to compare and contrast.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”