Gibbstation 3

Talk about the latest LRR video or discuss your past favorites.
Discomonkey

Postby Discomonkey » 17 Nov 2006, 23:57

You know what you should have done with that PS3 G?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTy7Nx0oPI&eurl=
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 18 Nov 2006, 01:43

Discomonkey wrote:You know what you should have done with that PS3 G?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTy7Nx0oPI&eurl=

You know what you should not have done with that PS3 G?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTy7Nx0oPI&e

People have been posting about it all day. Thanks :D
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 18 Nov 2006, 05:50

Freakin waste of money. Smashing it that is. Wouldn't buy it though.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 18 Nov 2006, 06:45

Some tech site has estimated that it costs Sony something like $850 to construct those consoles, vs. the $600 they're selling them for. It seems they're hoping to get the money back through games, although the margin is still unusually large.

So every time you smash a console, stockholders kill another Sony executive. Please, won't you think of the Sony executives?
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
Let's put a smile on that face!
'"
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 18 Nov 2006, 07:54

The have a plan, no doubt.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
Rhynome
First Video: Folklore

Postby Rhynome » 18 Nov 2006, 08:04

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:The have a plan, no doubt.

Yup, the plan is to sell them on ebay. Even if you only sell 100 on ebay, at $2000CAD each (around $1750USD) that makes $175,000USD.*

I personally don't know how much they're going to go for, I'm sceptical on the $1750USD side of things, but... wouldn't surprise me.

Then the rest on games. Sony are a fantastic business, they're good at what they do, no way in hell are they suddenly going to wake-up one day and say 'Shit, just realised, we're making a loss!' They know what they're doing, they're in control; they're a profit organisation.

*I doubt selling 100 would be significant enough to push the price that far below a current price such as $1750USD.
browncoat

Postby browncoat » 18 Nov 2006, 08:40

Additionally, the guess of the costs for a single PS3 unit is based on what Sony would have to pay if they bought the components.
But they build a lot of them themselves.
And, things tend to become cheaper when you build them over a long period of time in high numbers.
So even if they make $250 loss per unit NOW, in one year, they'll be even, and in two they'll be making big money.

That's all wild guesses, but Sony isn't stupid (only a little thick ; ) ).
Hey, M$ lost money on every XBox and yet they built a second one, so there HAS to be big money somewhere.
Can't take the sky from me. Again.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 18 Nov 2006, 08:53

The PS3 is, like, absurdly powerful. See my thread about the biochemistry researchers begging for console owners to let them access their unused cycles for protein folding research.
"...so he turns to me, and he says 'Why so serious?' He puts the blade in my mouth, and says 'Why so serious?
'"
Tank_girl

Postby Tank_girl » 18 Nov 2006, 10:46

Any one think there will be a camp out for the burning crusade?
JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 18 Nov 2006, 11:46

Tank_girl wrote:Any one think there will be a camp out for the burning crusade?

If there were only 3 copies per store...but it's going to be more like 100.

And as for PS3 eBay prices, I'm guessing with 2 controllers and full launch games, they're probably going for like, 3-4k. Just a guess though.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 18 Nov 2006, 12:27

Graham wrote:Trust me, I tried so hard.

And got so far.

But, in the end... it didn't even matter.

I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as though a great many voices cried out in horror, and were suddenly appeased.

[Rocks fall all over Graham. The party is killed.]
'"
The Hitman

Postby The Hitman » 18 Nov 2006, 13:48

Unfortunately, if everyone is selling them, chances are that only the first few will sell for a ridiculous amount, and then people will realize that they're looking at a whole ton of people who have bought something expensive that they don't actually want.

And some of the sales will be cancelled, of course, by people who never really intended to pay that much for a console, and stores will receive more in stock, etc.

It sounds like a good deal, but I think the vast majority of people who have bought them to sell on EBay will be lucky to get retail price for them.
"Just another Sunday paddleboat ride on a man-made lake with another lady stranger; if I remain lost and die on a cross, at least i wasn't born in a manger."
Rhynome

Postby Rhynome » 18 Nov 2006, 13:53

The Hitman wrote:It sounds like a good deal, but I think the vast majority of people who have bought them to sell on EBay will be lucky to get retail price for them.

And if it turns out they haven't actually bought that much [to sell on], well, that's where Sony comes in.
Melendwyr
Grand Wiki Theodore

Postby Melendwyr » 18 Nov 2006, 13:56

So: what did Graham choose to do with his new PlayStation 3? Hopefully he's exploring the available games as we speak... well, type.
'"
Rhynome

Postby Rhynome » 18 Nov 2006, 14:04

Hah, well I have one of those things that when new sneak the computer types it four you; I killed Santa.

Well, I wish I did, and I'd love to see if it did add 'I killed Santa' at the end.
Brad
First Video: Dunno. First one I was in was Zombiewalk

Postby Brad » 18 Nov 2006, 15:37

On ebay: Most bids are around 1000 bucks with "Buy it Now" between 2000 and 6000. And they'll sell that way.
All hail the great deku tree!
Twitter
Flickr
Rhynome

Postby Rhynome » 18 Nov 2006, 15:51

So as Gibb basically said (Not Graham, Gibb!), games consols are now Capital instead of Consumer Goods [first and foremost at least]?

Well we never saw this one coming... pfft, yeah, right.
ryanvdk

Postby ryanvdk » 19 Nov 2006, 12:16

Last edited by ryanvdk on 05 May 2017, 05:31, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny_Lunchbox

Re: Gibbstation 3

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 19 Nov 2006, 13:14

Graham wrote:As an added bonus, I... I kind of didn't sleep last night.
Oh wait, no I completely and totally didn't sleep last night.
Wheeeeeeeeee!

On behalf of Nintendo of America, and its parent company, the Nintendo-Globo-Neo-Conglomerate (henceforth known as "Head Cheese"), I hereby formally request that you refrain from using said expression of jubilance (henceforth known as "monkeys"), as it is in direct phonetic infringement of the WII copyright (henceforth known as "platypus" or "platypi").

Furthermore, I would like to clarify within this public forum that Head Cheese in no way supports the purchase, sale, or use of the PS3 (henceforth known as "super bang-bang happy time"), nor does it support in any way the association between said gaming console and platypi, and has thereby introduced a legal injunction declaring that any introduction of monkeys within the super bang-bang happy time experience will be expressly forbidden, as the association between monkeys and any activity not associated, directly or indirectly, with platypi is a clear violation of Head Cheese's copyright laws.

This is your only warning, Graham--keep your monkeys to yourself, or prepare to deal with Head Cheese--and possibly have your super bang-bang happy time taken away.
"Yeah, I had it pretty hard growing up. I guess that's why I turned to accounting." - SB&M
JesterJ.

Re: Gibbstation 3

Postby JesterJ. » 19 Nov 2006, 14:22

Johnny_Lunchbox wrote:
Graham wrote:As an added bonus, I... I kind of didn't sleep last night.
Oh wait, no I completely and totally didn't sleep last night.
Wheeeeeeeeee!

On behalf of Nintendo of America, and its parent company, the Nintendo-Globo-Neo-Conglomerate (henceforth known as "Head Cheese"), I hereby formally request that you refrain from using said expression of jubilance (henceforth known as "monkeys"), as it is in direct phonetic infringement of the WII copyright (henceforth known as "platypus" or "platypi").

Furthermore, I would like to clarify within this public forum that Head Cheese in no way supports the purchase, sale, or use of the PS3 (henceforth known as "super bang-bang happy time"), nor does it support in any way the association between said gaming console and platypi, and has thereby introduced a legal injunction declaring that any introduction of monkeys within the super bang-bang happy time experience will be expressly forbidden, as the association between monkeys and any activity not associated, directly or indirectly, with platypi is a clear violation of Head Cheese's copyright laws.

This is your only warning, Graham--keep your monkeys to yourself, or prepare to deal with Head Cheese--and possibly have your super bang-bang happy time taken away.

Seemed like a bit of a push and scripted. But still funny :)
Fatsobob

Postby Fatsobob » 20 Nov 2006, 01:10

Though my post is off topic, it is slightly related to the video.
Gibb kept asking how long they were waiting in line for their PS3, well I was camping for my wii this weekend. I was camped out a total of 38 hours to get a wii. Thats right, I was there for Thirty Eight Hours. (7pm on Friday-9am on Sunday) I got it and it was so worth the wait.
On the night before, the line piled up and come launch morning, they had a line over 100 people long and I was NUMBER 1!!1
emma
CAPS LOCK!

Postby emma » 20 Nov 2006, 08:02

Congratulations. Was it worth it?
diordna

Postby diordna » 20 Nov 2006, 09:41

My orchestra teacher's son sold his to Chad Johnson of the Cincinnati Bengals for $3000 US and a signed jersey + photo.
Old enought to know better, young enough to do it anyway
Captain_Anarchy
FOOLED YOU!!!

Postby Captain_Anarchy » 20 Nov 2006, 10:59

Fatsobob wrote:Though my post is off topic, it is slightly related to the video.
Gibb kept asking how long they were waiting in line for their PS3, well I was camping for my wii this weekend. I was camped out a total of 38 hours to get a wii. Thats right, I was there for Thirty Eight Hours. (7pm on Friday-9am on Sunday) I got it and it was so worth the wait.
On the night before, the line piled up and come launch morning, they had a line over 100 people long and I was NUMBER 1!!1

My friend waited for 6 hours and still got a Wii...so yeah well done.
My hand to God. Baby geese. Goslings. They were juggled.
-Wash
Fatsobob

Postby Fatsobob » 20 Nov 2006, 12:57

Though the excessive wait was not needed, it was TOTALLY worth it.

Return to “LRR Video Discussion”