So is Micahel Bay like the Uwe Boll of movies or something?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Vohn_exel
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04 - Fixer

So is Micahel Bay like the Uwe Boll of movies or something?

Postby Vohn_exel » 01 Jun 2010, 04:31

While that question in itself is kind of...wierd, I have to ask. Sure, the second Transformers was kind of boring, but I thought it fit ok with the first one. I actually enjoyed the first one alot, even if the second didn't live up to it's standards.

I always hear bad talk about Bay and I'm not sure why. He seems to be the butt of alot of jokes and I know the man has a love for explosions, but at least they're usually real explosions. His directing style has never really put me off, save for the fact that the characters are a bit weaker for me then the action.

If anything, he's like the DBZ of the directing world. It's not a totally terrible story, but for the most part you're watching it for the shiny crap. I've never really seen him do anything really all that bad for people to hate him so much, however. I mean, I'd actually like to see him Co-direct with someone better with people but not so good with action, but I don't see why he's given so much hate. What am I missing here?

*note: BTW, I'm not at all a Bay fanboy. There isn't a single director alive that I prefer over another. The movies are what I enjoy. Even the worst can create a watchable film sometimes.
The Square Root of Nine is Three!
GHOVO
First Video: 1337. I think

Re: So is Micahel Bay like the Uwe Boll of movies or something?

Postby GHOVO » 01 Jun 2010, 04:53

He's just a very commercial director in terms of what he does. Ya think of how many films get released a year, someone directs all of the and we don't know who they all are. Bay is one of those but we know who he is, because he did mediocre better than anyone else.

He gets so much hate because he is Platinum Dunes, and because he is taking on stuff people hold near and dear and just ruins it for them.

Jokes are jokes. People joke Tarantino uses a lot of gore, but his films still stand out. Bay uses Slow-mo, lots of helicopter shots, big explosions and all these other generic action film techniques that are not original, and uses them to try and cover up the fact he has no artistic tendencies when it comes to making films.

I could go on for a while about why I personally hate Bay, but he is a producers dream in that he rakes in the money, so to me is symbolizes all that is wrong with Hollywood
Friend
First Video: High Noon

Postby Friend » 01 Jun 2010, 05:32

No, Uwe Boll is the Uwe Boll of movies.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 01 Jun 2010, 05:53

I put both Boll & Bay in the same boat. I don't like movies directed by either of them.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 01 Jun 2010, 06:04

I watched the Behind the Scenes of Transformers 1 recently and I definitely see there's no conceivable saving grace for Bay in his directing ability. He practically makes it up as he goes along on set, wasting time and money because he's trying to get a laugh. He really is just terrible.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 01 Jun 2010, 06:34

Michael Bay did make 'Bad Boys' and 'The Rock' and those are still pretty damn good action movies... of course he had a lot of studio scrutiny keeping him in check. He also did all of the Meat Loaf videos from 'Bat Out of Hell II' which were pretty cool back in the day. Things started going south for him “artistically” after being let off the leash for 'Armageddon' and *shivers* ‘Pearl Harbor’. The travesties that are the Sremrofsnart movies are more a result of having the wrong person attached to the project. He himself doesn’t like the concept; he’s just getting a paycheck. I’m not defending him. I still think he’s shit. He’s just a whole different beast compared to….

Uwe Boll has not, to my knowledge, ever made a good movie or music video. He loves the properties he gets a hold of to itty bitty pieces but has no clue what to do with them. He also lacks the budget to make any of these movies believable in anyway and his movies serve as dumping grounds for actor’s contractual picture counts (that’s the only way I can explain him getting to work with Ben Kingsley) so they’re never really into the whole experience. The only saving grace is that him movies make for great drinking games. Try getting through ‘Alone in the Dark’ by taking a shot every time Tara Reid tries to look smart and fails.

So by my count it's a tie. Nostalgia vs Drinking Games.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 01 Jun 2010, 13:12

Bay initially really disliked the Transformers franchise, and thought that the script as it was originally presented to him was stupid and childish, but went ahead and made the film anyway, making the writers change the script to concentrate more on the soldiers. Because of this, a lot of people have blamed him for turning a film about Transformers into a film about human soldiers "because soldiers and/or explosions are all he knows how to do", hence the bad feeling.

In fact, this is a bit harsh: the decision to concentrate on the humans and give almost no dialogue to most of the Transformers was part of an ongoing battle between the writers (TF fans) and the studio (people who thought that talking robots would look stupid).
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 01 Jun 2010, 13:21

For me, Transformers ended with Beast Wars, and I like it that way. The only things I've seen since are the Bay movies, which just reaffirms my position of sticking to Beast Wars.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 01 Jun 2010, 13:27

Sadly, I've seen at least one episode of every TF series ever, including the Japan-only series. I really wish I hadn't; G1 and Beast Wars are the only ones that didn't make me want to claw my eyes out and light my brain on fire.
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 01 Jun 2010, 13:32

My problem with Bay is that he has never evolved as a director. Over the years some directors change and improve their style as they learn new things about movie making and cinema. Bay has never done that, every Bay film has the same old cliche's and stereotypes, and considering he started out in the 90's, Transformers basically becomes a VERY expensive generic 90's actioneer with robots thrown in.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 01 Jun 2010, 13:32

Beast Wars was awesome.

I'm sorry what?
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S
First Video: The Writers Room

Postby Smeghead » 01 Jun 2010, 14:32

Evil Jim wrote:I put both Boll & Bay in the same boat. I don't like movies directed by either of them.

Do that. I'll sink it far off-shore with explosives
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 01 Jun 2010, 15:31

Smeghead wrote:
Evil Jim wrote:I put both Boll & Bay in the same boat. I don't like movies directed by either of them.

Do that. I'll sink it far off-shore with explosives

A fitting end to Michel Bay.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 01 Jun 2010, 15:52

Being killed in the biggest special effects explosion ever? I think it's the way he'd want to go.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
empath

Postby empath » 01 Jun 2010, 15:54

But you know he'd only be happy if he's also involved in a gratuitous love-triangle while that happens.

Hmmm...who's up for adding Bjork to the crew/cargo?
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 01 Jun 2010, 16:04

Nah, the woman who wrote the Twighlight books for forever ruiening the vampire genre
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 01 Jun 2010, 17:21

Smeghead: that's a lie.

Vampire The Masquerade is still kick ass.

I should now, I'm playing it right now.

I think she just ruined Vampires in popular modern literature, is all.

As long as the thing predates Twilight, or was written by a vehement anti-fan, we're good.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
empath

Postby empath » 01 Jun 2010, 19:28

So still put Stephanie Meyer on the boat, then?

Sounds good to me.
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 01 Jun 2010, 19:37

How can you be playing V:TM and posting on the forums at the same time? Is it break time or something?

Epic multitasking.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 01 Jun 2010, 21:41

Hey, I'm taking an online quiz for class, reading a short story (which is studying for that quiz) and posting on the forums.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
Cureless_Poison
First Video: Fun with microwaves.

Postby Cureless_Poison » 01 Jun 2010, 22:40

What's wrong with either director? 0_o

I don't mind watching either if their films.
Smeghead
Bear Hunter S

Postby Smeghead » 02 Jun 2010, 00:09

They take things we like and turn them into crap.
I had no attachment to Transformers; I hd never read anything from the series, never seen a animated show, so my mind was clean when I saw the movies. And Transformers 2 was seriusly painful to watch.

Boll makes very bad movies from games. Bay tends to be so focused on throwing in über budget special effects that he compleatly tends to forget to see if the script is any good.
empath

Postby empath » 02 Jun 2010, 04:32

Why is Michael Bay so reviled? Let me let Randall Munroe explain...
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 02 Jun 2010, 04:32

Smeghead wrote:Nah, the woman who wrote the Twighlight books for forever ruiening the vampire genre

It's ruined my local bookshop. They've cut the science fiction/fantasy section down to make room for the authors trying to rip her off. They've rather amusingly called it Dark Fantasy.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr

Return to “General Discussion”