LRF Characters - Crew should read!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
miakosummin

LRF Characters - Crew should read!

Postby miakosummin » 24 Nov 2006, 16:20

Hey you guys, well, I've been working on the system a bit for LRF, and its been coming along, no big snags. Right now I want to talk to you guys about your characters.

First off, I want to get it away from Loading Ready Rumble, just because. So I/we need to think up a different storyline for the 1P version of the game that allows any character to be used. And the characters could slightly vere away from LRR Canon, like Matt being a wizard perhaps?

For the actual characters and weapons, I'm thinking about these:

Graham: A large pot lid, used for deflecting and throwing. Also utilizes a camcorder like Paul's weapon for the occasional laser. Throwing it does a lot of damage
Paul: A camera-sword. Its a video camera sitting on a tripod, only replace tripod with sword. It also shoots beams.
Matt: I'm thinking some kind of staff. Wizard ho, with some cool defensive and offensive spells. (Controllable thundercloud for long-range)
Morgan: No weapon? Maybe brass knucles... I think Morgan should be played as a tricky one, you can feint and punish while the enemy is recovering. There will also be no question on your third costume, which will be underwear and sandles.
Kathlene: No idea really. Possibly a large wrench? I'm thinking you have some undodgeable female wile attacks that make the enemy explode whenever you feel like using them. They should be weaker then other attacks because undodgeable is pretty cheap...
James: Hampire. What weapons do vampires use? I don't know, but pork rinds will be a big part.
Jer: God, no idea.... Ninja?
Bill: I'm thiking a large folded chair. It allows for some kick ass winning poses. And who doesn't want to smack someone with a chair.
Kate: Not sure >_> A friend suggested small knives.
Johnny_Lunchbox: Scripts. Paper that floats around him that can paper cut people. With teleportation.
Andy: A musical instrument of some kind perhaps? Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight with a hat.
Ash: Same, no idea... Maybe a leather whip for the hellofit? Or handcuffs used as nunchaku.
Mik, because I am that leet: A chain. Possibly with a knife on the end. I've always wanted to weild a chain...

So yeah, tell me if you like your weaponry, and give me suggestions as to cool moves or costumes that you would like. This is important mainly for Graham and Paul right now because I'm going to start spriting and I don't want to have to start over because you want something different >_>

After the main crew and then the secondary crew, then me, I'm going to move onto some of the video characters like 64K and so on. Then the comic characters. However, by this time I will have hopefully gotten a few followers who can help me.

Also, once I've gotten a good bit into this, I'm going to need the crew to make little sound bites, attacking, being hit, various taunts, etc. I will also need someone to be the announcer, like "Fight!" "KO!" etc. I want some cooler words then that. "To the death!" "Destroyed!" etc.

Finally, anyone who knows flash: If I make the game in flash, but have people download it zipped instead of playing it online, would that take off all load time because its all there? Because I'm doing some high-resolution backgrounds and don't want to have a thirty minute load time...

One last thing, I was playing around with the idea of some original characters. I was thinking that the story is Evil Inc got some new employees to do something dastardly, and its your job to stop them, fighting through everyone until you reach the boss. So if you have an original character you want in (perhaps a MMO personality of yours?) tell me about it, I'll note it down.
diordna

Postby diordna » 24 Nov 2006, 17:37

Wait, what? Are you making an RPG or something? I did not hear about this.

I've considered making a LRR game or two myself a few times, but never got around to it because there were other, more pressing projects.
Old enought to know better, young enough to do it anyway
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 24 Nov 2006, 21:27

It's slated to be a LRR-themed head-to-head fighter.

And have you seen the "Sock Baby" videos? There's some hat-fighting in that (well, a tiny bit in the first episode), if you want some ideas for having Andy just kind of breakdance-fight with heavy hat-usage. Another suggestion (even though I don't think he's ever used one in a video, but would suit his modus operandi perfectly) could be an umbrella (I think Jet Li uses one as a weapon in every single one of the Once Upon A Time in China movies, and I think there was use in Shanghai Knights).

Regardless of armament, though, he should definitely dance as he moves.

For Bill's third costume, I recommend a bucket on his head (like in Ash's comic).

For Matt, I'd strongly recommend giving him an Intrepid Axe of the Boar (and a couple Paladin spells if you want to give him magic).

As for Kathleen's weapon, I don't think a wrench would really suit her--perhaps a microphone swung around one of the rope-weapons like in the kung-fu movies? (I think there was one in Shanghai Noon, but there's a crapload of wuxia-pian-style kung-fu flicks that use rope/cloth weapons).

Flick-knives would work very well for Kate.
"Yeah, I had it pretty hard growing up. I guess that's why I turned to accounting." - SB&M
NecroVale
Card-Carrying Cool Person
First Video: Door to Door

Postby NecroVale » 24 Nov 2006, 22:21

Kathleen should have... cats. Maybe as a super.
Dana

Postby Dana » 24 Nov 2006, 22:25

OMG, Kathleen has the worst bastard of a cat that I have ever met...the power of Khaavren's kitty fury would be awesome.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
magic toaster of destiny

Postby magic toaster of destiny » 24 Nov 2006, 23:39

ohhh instead of fight you should say testicles in a booming voice
sure i'le sign your solar plexus!
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 25 Nov 2006, 10:17

magic toaster of destiny wrote:ohhh instead of fight you should say testicles in a booming voice

Perhaps as an easter egg--that gag would get very old, very fast.

Oh, also, just a suggestion--make "LRF" the working title, and, once you get to the releases (and Loading Ready Rumble isn't quite as fresh in our minds), change it back to something that's LRR (like 'Loading Ready Rampage', as was suggested earlier); yes, LRF is easier to type, but it should really end up with the proper LRR acronym.
"Yeah, I had it pretty hard growing up. I guess that's why I turned to accounting." - SB&M
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 27 Nov 2006, 14:33

I really want to get away from the LRR acronym, just so nobody gets confused when referring to it.

And btw, snow means I can't get to my house which means I can't get to flash which means I can't start working on this which means I AM INFURIATED RAWR.

Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 27 Nov 2006, 16:57

Dana wrote:OMG, Kathleen has the worst bastard of a cat that I have ever met...the power of Khaavren's kitty fury would be awesome.

I would be able to fuck people up with my pussy cat.

Yeah, a wrench is much more suited to my friend Josh, who honest to god carries around a large wrench as a melee weapon.
"Summon Cat!" Should be my super. My weapon could be something simple like a staff, like Kilik uses in Soul Calibur. That would work well.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
Captain_Anarchy
FOOLED YOU!!!

Postby Captain_Anarchy » 27 Nov 2006, 17:00

Advice: Listen to Johnny he's on the ball. Also this still seems like a ridiculous amount of work. I will be extremely impressed if it gets finished.
My hand to God. Baby geese. Goslings. They were juggled.
-Wash
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 27 Nov 2006, 18:48

Well mind you, by the time I get to woprking on Kathleen's chara, I expect to have a few people working on this. If my friends in info tech can get extra marks, they said they'd be really interested.

JesterJ.

Postby JesterJ. » 27 Nov 2006, 18:53

You're not at your house? Where are you?
"Good thing we got Jester to carry." -Morgan, January 20th, 2009
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 27 Nov 2006, 19:32

JesterJ. wrote:You're not at your house? Where are you?

I'm at my dad's house. Crappy computer and it doesn't have flash on it >_>

Oh, and Kathleen is totally going to have a combo where she throws a cat at someone. Like punch, kick, uppercut into air, cat, cat, cat, jump kick, cat.

Dana

Postby Dana » 27 Nov 2006, 21:30

Kathleen wrote:
Dana wrote:OMG, Kathleen has the worst bastard of a cat that I have ever met...the power of Khaavren's kitty fury would be awesome.

I would be able to fuck people up with my pussy cat.

Yeah, a wrench is much more suited to my friend Josh, who honest to god carries around a large wrench as a melee weapon.
"Summon Cat!" Should be my super. My weapon could be something simple like a staff, like Kilik uses in Soul Calibur. That would work well.

Your regular weapon should be a broom dude. Like the one you shake at bitches who are after Graham.
"I swear it," said the other mother. "I swear it on my own mother's grave."

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline.

"Oh yes," said the other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back."
magic toaster of destiny

Postby magic toaster of destiny » 27 Nov 2006, 23:40

Kathleen wrote: My weapon could be something simple like a staff, like Kilik uses in Soul Calibur. That would work well.

damn kilik and his super long staff that you can unlock
sure i'le sign your solar plexus!
YamaroV2

Postby YamaroV2 » 28 Nov 2006, 00:48

okay. on the topic of fighting games..

Bill needs to be like Faust from Guilty Gear. Some 12 feet tall, but fights in a crouched position. Plus, a giant scalpel owns.

Morgan... Morgan needs a Bridget-Esque costume. 'nuff said.

James could pull off a good Ken. Perhaps a good Shoyru-Reppa or Tatsumaki styles moves?

Graham, you're Dan. Don't argue it either.

Paul could pull off a good Charlie. SFA fans'll know the likeness.
No longer your barrel-rolling monkey.
Sieg Reyu
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sieg Reyu » 28 Nov 2006, 09:01

Kathleen needs a slightly naughty nun costume. And Morgan needs a Billy the Bear Costume.
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 28 Nov 2006, 15:36

Sieg Reyu wrote:Kathleen needs a slightly naughty nun costume. And Morgan needs a Billy the Bear Costume.

Nun costume is WIN. Thats definatly going to be her third costume. No questions.

Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 30 Nov 2006, 18:49

Back to the debate of LRF or LRR, I think moving away from the LRR Acronym is fine. I mean, for the live show it was LRL, so you'd might as well screw with it while you can.
Johnny_Lunchbox

Postby Johnny_Lunchbox » 03 Dec 2006, 21:46

Kara wrote:Back to the debate of LRF or LRR, I think moving away from the LRR Acronym is fine. I mean, for the live show it was LRL, so you'd might as well screw with it while you can.

Yeah, but LRL still keeps somewhat within the lettering scheme, as the change simply repeats the first letter instead of the second (and has the same phonetic rhythm as the original). Loading Ready Rumble changes the phonetic rhythm, but keeps the same acronym. LRF introduces an entirely new letter, which seems like some kind of dreadful blasphemy in my obsessive-compulsive and somewhat logic-twisted mind.
Kara
First Video: The Bet

Postby Kara » 03 Dec 2006, 21:49

I wouldn't say blasphemy, but I do see your point Johnny.
Bondage Pikachu

Postby Bondage Pikachu » 03 Dec 2006, 23:03

Guys...It's a letter.
A storm is coming, Frank says
A storm that will swallow the children
And I will deliver them from the kingdom of pain
I will deliver the children back the their doorsteps
And send the monsters back to the underground
miakosummin

Postby miakosummin » 04 Dec 2006, 22:22

J_L, as you seem to be reading this, would you have any ideas for your fighting costumes? You're going to fight primarily with floating script pages, but as you aren't a video personality exactly, I can't really think of any costumes.

Also, as its my say, the F in LRF stays. Bwaha.

Status report: Drawing LOTS of costume designs, writing out many code notes in my sketchbook. Haven't exactly started on any computer stuff yet. Front Mission 3 and Final Fantasy XII are hindering my progress.

Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 04 Dec 2006, 23:06

Not to tell you what to do but you should focus on the code for the game rather than the art right now. You need to get basic engine of the game down - moving the characters, rendering them, a basic attack, input - working before you worry about what Kathleen's Slightly Naughty Nun looks like. Start simple - two identical circles that can move and have one attack. Build on that until you have multiple characters with multiple costumes and multiple attacks.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Captain_Anarchy
FOOLED YOU!!!

Postby Captain_Anarchy » 05 Dec 2006, 01:18

Lord Chrusher's advice is also good. Listen to Lord Chrusher.

My hand to God. Baby geese. Goslings. They were juggled.

-Wash

Return to “General Discussion”