Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Jer
LRR Crew

Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Postby Jer » 09 Jun 2010, 09:52

Hey guys, this morning, as we always knew could happen, Rejected ENN moved to The Escapist Publisher's Club. I've already seen some grumbling on the forums about it, so I wanted to acknowledge that yes, this has happened, and offer an explanation as to why: we offered it to them.

Since the recent changes to ENN, the nature of our "rejected" content has changed. Once upon a time, we would write more than we needed each week, pare the stories down, shoot, then edit. In a move to increase the general quality of the news-desk stories, however, we now write and shoot more than we need, then pare down the stories. This left us with a whole tonne of rejected video instead of a whole tonne of rejected words.

The issue with posting Rejected ENN as a video series is it kinda looks like we're competing with The Escapist using their own brand--which would be a real dick move on our part. I would never ever want to entertain a discussion about whether, for example, we were holding back our best material to drive traffic to our site instead of The Escapist.

At the same time, we like The Escapist and we want them to do well. There have been some allegations that The Escapist is "greedy", but I assure you this is not the case. It's staffed by kind, honest people, none of whom drive cars nicer than any of ours. Keep in mind the recession has been very hard on web companies; there have been lots of closures and buyouts in the last couple of years, and this is not what we want for The Escapist: they support us, and we want to help support them in return.

Of course, we want to support you guys just as much, and I'd like to roll out some new bonus content to fill the hole left by Rejected ENN on our site. Any ENN behind-the-scenes stuff you've wondered about, or anything else you'd like to see?
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Re: Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Postby empath » 09 Jun 2010, 10:05

Cool. I fully understand and approve of this.

Indeed, I think it'll be even better to see the extra video than to read the extra scripts/story ideas.

Thanks for the update!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Jun 2010, 10:09

Hey Jer, thanks for the update!

I can appreciate why this move is necessary, and am glad you guys are acknowledging it and keeping us informed. I can totally see how ENN material - since the series is owned by the Escapist - would need to be over there.

Frankly, I'm sad I missed out on the $10 deal for the Publishers Club - but as soon as I'm employed, I think I'll shoot some money the Escapist's way. I do love bonus content, after all.

Cheers, keep up the good work!
Dr.Ninja
First Video: Unskippable and ENN

Postby Dr.Ninja » 09 Jun 2010, 10:15

I'm always welcome to the idea of more behind the scenes footage.
SirDelta
First Video: Killer Instinct

Postby SirDelta » 09 Jun 2010, 10:23

that shows how good of people you guys are. I have no problem with it.

As far as bonus stuff....

One thing from behind-the-scenes ENN I think would be awesome would be to at least once see the actual creation of the after credits banter as opposed to how you do it.
Also, one Loading time I enjoyed quite a bit from before was the "A Day in LRR" video. Maybe something like that?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 09 Jun 2010, 10:29

From a purely selfish point of view i'm disappointed that rejected ENN is going to the escapist because i cant see it! from a more rational point of view it makes complete sense for bonus content from a show you make for the escapist should be on the escapist, so i can have no complaints, if i wanna see it I'll have to pay, which i wont because i'm a miserly bugger and most of the content on the escapists does not appeal.

Some cool behind the scenes stuff would be cool, maybe a loading time or two. especially looking at the stories which are presented outside the main studio behind the desk. that would be cool.
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 09 Jun 2010, 10:37

I'm not surprised that Rejected ENN moved to Publishers Club, as it's supposed to be behind the scenes and bonus content for the ENN IPs. Hell, I won't be surprised that if behind the scenes of the regular LRR vids eventually migrates over there...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Dr.Ninja
First Video: Unskippable and ENN

Postby Dr.Ninja » 09 Jun 2010, 10:48

Rikadyn wrote:Hell, I won't be surprised that if behind the scenes of the regular LRR vids eventually migrates over there...
I don't think the crew would do that to us, does the Escapist even have that much control over them?
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 09 Jun 2010, 10:52

It's been frequently stated by the crew that the Escapist has no control over the LRR content.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Jun 2010, 10:59

Totally understandable! Exciting news for those who are members, I'm sure, and I'm sure they'll really enjoy them. Hopefully this helps attract more people to sign up for membership.
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 09 Jun 2010, 11:00

Well, that's a logical and good reason, I approve.

But consider yourself lucky! Cause if I hadn't approved, I would have walked over the Atlantic Oceans, hiked to Canada, figured out which houses you all lived in (how big can Canda be? Like 30 people not counting Moose) and kicked your asses! All of you at once!

I kid of course. I can fly over the Atalantic Ocean.

I don't mind. Providing I have 3 regular LRR goodness a week, some making of's, the occasional pod cast and 6 years worth of LRR goodness to look up when I'm bored, and Crapshots, I think I'll live when it comes to my internet comedy.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 09 Jun 2010, 12:28

This just doesn't seem fair to me. While I may not be an old-timer, I have been a loyal LRR fan for almost two years now. As such, I've made sure to view just about every little bit of content possible. But now, I'm being told that I can't see regularly-produced LRR content, because that's only for people at the Escapist. And it seems as though this is only the latest of many ways in which the Escapist keeps getting worse.

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to flame, or seem angry. I just find all this nonsense really hard to accept.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 09 Jun 2010, 12:32

Ottoman wrote:This just doesn't seem fair to me. While I may not be an old-timer, I have been a loyal LRR fan for almost two years now. As such, I've made sure to view just about every little bit of content possible. But now, I'm being told that I can't see regularly-produced LRR content, because that's only for people at the Escapist. And it seems as though this is only the latest of many ways in which the Escapist keeps getting worse.

In all seriousness, I'm not trying to flame, or seem angry. I just find all this nonsense really hard to accept.

Except it wasn't regular LRR content.

Aside from being escapist brand, it was never a video previous.

...And for ENN-related bonus content that we could get?

ENN is about news.

Phailhaus is about news.

hmmmm
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 09 Jun 2010, 12:36

aeric90 wrote:It's been frequently stated by the crew that the Escapist has no control over the LRR content.

No, but if they wanted it, I'm sure the guys would listen to an offer if it was put before them and worth it.

My biggest the complaint about the escapist is the layout looks like a menagerie of banner ads at first glance, and just crowded and unorganised once you get used to it...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 09 Jun 2010, 12:45

Rikadyn wrote:
aeric90 wrote:It's been frequently stated by the crew that the Escapist has no control over the LRR content.

No, but if they wanted it, I'm sure the guys would listen to an offer if it was put before them and worth it.

Keeping LRR-focused content here is actually quite important to us.
OldGrover
First Video: First Unskippable on Escapist

Postby OldGrover » 09 Jun 2010, 12:54

Ottoman wrote:This just doesn't seem fair to me. While I may not be an old-timer, I have been a loyal LRR fan for almost two years now. As such, I've made sure to view just about every little bit of content possible. But now, I'm being told that I can't see regularly-produced LRR content, because that's only for people at the Escapist. And it seems as though this is only the latest of many ways in which the Escapist keeps getting worse.

I'm trying to see the unfairness :

They are taking a certain class of Bonus (see that word right there?) videos and moving them to the site of the people that pay for them. LRR will continue to provide you with a minimum of three free videos, with other Bonus videos along the way, along with all sorts of other 'inside' looks at things, plus this forum, plus all the extras...

Those BASTARDS! How unfair can you get! How dare they give the videos to the people that pay for them and enable them to do three videos a week for your entertainment pleasure instead of one.

How dare they, indeed. I'd advise a lawsuit.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Jun 2010, 13:09

Heed the words of this wise old Muppet.
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 09 Jun 2010, 13:44

OldGrover wrote:They are taking a certain class of Bonus videos and moving them to the site of the people that pay for them.
They're taking our content away from us.

It seems like they're just exploiting LRR's fanbase loyalty to get even more money.

I don't understand how people can be okay with either of those.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
EnglishMQ

Postby EnglishMQ » 09 Jun 2010, 13:47

It's not OUR video's. It's the Escapists, they were the one's who paid for it in the first place. I can't claim to be an expert, but we wouldn't have ENN (the one with the first class jokes rather than the rejected ones) at all if it weren't for the Escapist.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 09 Jun 2010, 13:48

I personally like it when people I enjoy our getting paid and doing honest business. Anyway, we have crapshots now.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 09 Jun 2010, 13:53

Ottoman wrote:
OldGrover wrote:They are taking a certain class of Bonus videos and moving them to the site of the people that pay for them.

It seems like they're just exploiting LRR's fanbase loyalty to get even more money.

The content was never OURS, it was, essential a gift from the crew. It was something they didn't have to do, but did anyway.

If the content were being taken away for the Escapist employees to view privately, then that argument might have some validity.

So, up until know, we've gotten hundreds of videos and podcasts for free, for over six years, and now they want to take a little bit of that content to another place, owned by people who have a very valid ownership of it. And it's not as if it's even hard to get at.

Most people rather woulnd't pay, but if you don't want to, don't. You've still got 90% of the other content right here, for free, forever.
AlexanderDitto

Postby AlexanderDitto » 09 Jun 2010, 13:54

Ottoman wrote:

1. It's not YOUR content, for several reasons.
a) They've NEVER recorded Rejected ENN videos before. Consider that, were they not offered to move them to the Escapist Publisher Club thing, they might NEVER have recorded them, or put them up on the site.
b) ENN, being the ESCAPIST News Network, at least partially (in name) belongs to the Escapist. The other part, I assume, belongs to the LRR group. Neither of these entities are you.
c) Even if the videos WERE sole property of LRR, there is no where on this website where, upon visiting, you are guaranteed the right to view, for free, everything LRR produced, automatically and forever.
d) Jer mentioned why it doesn't make sense, either for LRR or for The Escapist, to post ENN stuff on the LRR site. Read his posts. It makes good business sense not to.

2. Say a company makes, I don't know, your favorite kind of cheese. Then, this company decides it wants to make YOGURT, under the same brand name, and claims "You loved our cheese, now try our yogurt!" Would you be enraged that the company is obviously exploiting your loyalty to their cheese in order to get you to buy their yogurt? No! That's not exploitation. It's business. You're not guaranteed free access to all dairy-based products that this company produces, just because you buy their cheese, and you certainly wouldn't expect them to give you the yogurt for free just because you've bought cheese for the last few years. Why is it any different when the cheese is free?

You've heard the story of the two men who saw each other every day on the subway. Man A suddenly decides to give man B $20. Man B is really thrilled. Man A continues doing this, every day, for a year. Then, a day comes (probably a Thursday) when Man A fails to give man B his money. Man B asks man A where his $20 is, and becomes enraged when Man A doesn't give it to him.

Right now, you're sounding like Man B. :(
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 09 Jun 2010, 13:55

Aw, dammit. Now I feel like I'm ganging up on the guy.
EnglishMQ

Postby EnglishMQ » 09 Jun 2010, 13:58

I feel like eating cheese all of a sudden.
Vanguard
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby Vanguard » 09 Jun 2010, 13:58

I hate so say it, but sometimes people need to be ganged up on a bit so a point can be driven home, Theremin. Sure, I'm not a fan of the hostile tone this thread has suddenly adopted, but these are harsh truths that evidently some people need to hear.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”