Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JoshTheater
First Video: Desert Bus Killed The Internet Star

Re: Rejected ENN Moves to The Escapist

Postby JoshTheater » 09 Jun 2010, 15:02

Ottoman wrote:I just refuse to give my money to the Escapist, because they've done nothing to deserve it.

Of course they haven't done anything. Other than paying LRR to do 3 series so they can make money to continue doing what they love to entertain their fans and...oh wait. I guess that is something.

You sir are a silly goose.
OldGrover
First Video: First Unskippable on Escapist

Postby OldGrover » 09 Jun 2010, 15:26

Ottoman wrote:
Kara wrote:If you're so distraught about it, go spend a few bucks and get a membership. [. . . ] IT'S A BLESSING TO GET SO MUCH FREE CONTENT ON THE INTERNET. People shouldn't be so surprised when it becomes somewhat less free.
Did you even read my post? I don't care about the cost, I just refuse to give my money to the Escapist, because they've done nothing to deserve it.

And we are the real LRR fans. If people at the Escapist appreciate LRR, they will come over here and be a part of it. If not, all LRR is to them is an after-dinner mint to ZP. (Not that I don't like Yahtzee, mind.) They don't deserve to get content made by people they don't even appreciate.

How does "pay the content creators" equate to "do nothing to deserve it" ?

By supporting the Escapist, you support LRR. The Escapist increases their fan base (I came in that way, quite recently, though I may say I've caught up on all their content, listened to lots of podcasts and am now participating on their message board, so I'm a Real Fan(tm)) as well as directly sponsors the creation of more LRR content. This is an awesome thing.

If The Escapist goes under (like web magazines do), LRR will be negatively impacted. That'd suck.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 09 Jun 2010, 15:39

OldGrover, I love your avatar and username.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
JoshTheater

Postby JoshTheater » 09 Jun 2010, 15:51

Tim is smitten. :shock:
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 09 Jun 2010, 15:58

Theremin wrote:
Matt wrote:Yes, the sense of belonging and companionship found only when holding your lover and soul-mate.

-m

Then make a wife out of pizza. It'd be moist.

and this comment almost caused me to choke to death...
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...
OldGrover
First Video: First Unskippable on Escapist

Postby OldGrover » 09 Jun 2010, 16:01

Tim wrote:OldGrover, I love your avatar and username.

Thanks :) I'm not as old as I'm pictured (though I am as bearded) - it just works as a username that is NEVER taken anywhere and relates enough to my life that it works for me

And my photoshop (well, GIMP) skills got honed enough by Fark photoshop contests to manage a reasonable avatar.
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 09 Jun 2010, 16:23

Woah, Pizza!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone--we're very much listening to your input :).

I'm putting some serious thought into what we can do to fill the hole in the LRR blog. It more-or-less occurred to me that anything cut from or simply not included in an episode besides the unused stories is still fair game, so expect to see more of that. I'm also considering (as suggested by folks in this thread) a series of Loading Times detailing each step of the ENN process from beginning to end, for weeks when there's not a lot to post. I didn't have to actually put more than five minutes a week into the written form of Rejected ENN, so I actually consider this a considerable upgrade ;).

Think of this today's post a prototype :).
Kyogissun
First Video: Three PS3's or one of the X ways to Y

Postby Kyogissun » 09 Jun 2010, 16:31

Blegh, fair enough I suppose...

I guess now I have a reason besides HQ vidyas to get the subscription then. =|

In reality, and in retrospect, I suppose I'm fine with this. 20$ a year really isn't that much, so I suppose eventually I'll pony up.

I just hope maybe you guys have some ideas in the pipeworks for extra publisher's club exclusive content. :x
Last edited by Kyogissun on 09 Jun 2010, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Currently Playing: Skyrim (Dawnguard), Bunch of Shit on Steam (Blame the Summer Sale), Tales of Graces f
Waiting For: Kingdom Hearts 3D, Torchlight II

I attend (almost) every FNM at Millenium Games in Henrietta.

Steam: OhYouFoal
XBL GT: Kyogissun
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 09 Jun 2010, 16:31

Whatevs.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
JoshTheater

Postby JoshTheater » 09 Jun 2010, 16:35

Unless this has been done already, I'd love to see one video about the recording of Unskippable. I know that's also an Escapist series, but I'm only talking about one video, not a series of videos.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 09 Jun 2010, 16:58

Funny how you persist with this 'we are the real fans' snobbishness and elitism, yet completely ignore rebuttals to your dubious crap, like what follows:

Kara wrote:
Ottoman wrote:I even said that I understand that it's the Escapist's property, but we're the real fans, and it's being taken away from us.

Never say this again. You're making yourself sound like an idiot.

No matter how much longer some people have been fans of LRR, or how diehard they are, or whatever, it makes no difference to the point that people on the Escapist who are watching the new LRR videos every week are just as much LRR fans as us here on the forums. Just because they heard of LRR a bit later and have some catching up to do and haven't seen all of their content just yet doesn't make them any less a fan than you or me.
We've got a lot to thank these people for, even if we don't know them like we know the forumgoers. When it comes down to it all of these viewers and new fans that LRR has been acquiring and will continue to acquire through the Escapist are what is giving them the opportunity to do their work, get paid, and create more content than ever before.

Ottoman wrote:
Kara wrote:If you're so distraught about it, go spend a few bucks and get a membership. [. . . ] IT'S A BLESSING TO GET SO MUCH FREE CONTENT ON THE INTERNET. People shouldn't be so surprised when it becomes somewhat less free.
Did you even read my post? I don't care about the cost, I just refuse to give my money to the Escapist, because they've done nothing to deserve it.

And we are the real LRR fans.

STOP THAT RIGHT FUCKING NOW. You do NOT speak for ANYONE beyond yourself; your arguments are the most specious and offensive tripe that has ever gone on to KILL internet communities, and founded on a misplaced sense of entitlement.

Remember, forums cna DIE OFF because one group of people consider themselves 'better' than the rest, be it by greater participation, or seniority, or whatever. It's stupid, adolescent drivel, and I'll be DAMNED if I stand by while the poison 'clique' seed takes root HERE.

Start using "I" or I'm gonna start REPORTING your bullshit in trying to put venomous lies in MY MOUTH.

Ottoman wrote:If people at the Escapist appreciate LRR, they will come over here and be a part of it. If not, all LRR is to them is an after-dinner mint to ZP. (Not that I don't like Yahtzee, mind.) They don't deserve to get content made by people they don't even appreciate.

Ah, so you're not only presuming to speak for all of us - particularly those of us who have been active fans and participants for LONGER than your two years - but also telepathically able to divine what everyone else thinks and feels.

Never mind that some 'Escapees' HAVE come over and joined LRR-forums, and become part of this community. That disagrees with your assertion and should be disregarded, obviously.

Finally, is your name Graham, or Paul, or Kathleen, or Morgan, or Bill, Matt, James, Jer, Tally, Tim, Ben, Alex, Nate, etc. etc. etc.?

No?

THEN YOU DON'T GET TO DICTATE WHETHER PEOPLE DESERVE OR DON'T DESERVE ANYTHING RELATED TO LOADING READY RUN; you are not LRR, you're a FAN.

Let me make this clear: you (and all the rest of us that don't have "LRR Crew" underneath our names) are GUESTS here. Nothing more. We have no more power than the good graces that the crew deigns to us by listening to our suggestions/pleas/requests.

So please stop acting like you LITERALLY own ANYTHING here.
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 09 Jun 2010, 17:20

I'm sad to see it go but im not willing to pay them for it im only go on the escapist for the LRR stuff and a couple of other videos, as much as i love LRR i think i can live without the rejected stories im not a fan of the escapist forums, magazine and reviews(besides moviebob) but i am a LRR fan and i understand why LRR chose to give the content to the escapist and i can agree with there descion to do so.
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 09 Jun 2010, 17:21

Empath: I think that you've rather misinterpreted what I said, on several levels. But my intent was not to start an argument, so I'm not going to bother pursuing this any more.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
JoshTheater

Postby JoshTheater » 09 Jun 2010, 18:57

He forfeited! WE WIN!
*jumps around happily*

...Just fooling around, brah. ;)
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 09 Jun 2010, 19:21

Meh, I should be more angry about this, but with the advent of the Publishers Club I saw this as inevitable. It may end up that even more bonus content worms it's way to the EPC, I can't say I would approve or do approve now, but I see what the reasons are and accept it. In short, I don't like it, as a consumer I am always looking to spend as little as possible (basic economics), but I fully understand the move.
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 09 Jun 2010, 21:16

LRR snobs? Seriously? Please watch this. It's old but still applies.

Ok, some questions. First & most importantly to me, IS LRR BEING PAID MORE FOR THE EXTRA CONTENT THEY ARE CREATING FOR THE ESCAPIST? If not, I hope there's some other form of compensation in the agreement.

Second, will there be an ENN DVD, released by either LRR or The Escapist? If yes, naturally the rejected footage would make perfect bonus content. Yes, I would buy.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
HIGHFIVEMAN
First Video: the hottest one

Postby HIGHFIVEMAN » 09 Jun 2010, 21:26

Anyone who didn't see this coming when they announced the publisher's club is nearsighted. I've never really liked the Escapist, and watching their recent behavior on their forums (banning people for not liking Game Dogs, banning for even mentioning Adblock, seemingly random moderation) hasn't really helped the situation. They seem like a generic organization with an eye for good content and nothing else.

That said, it's not like you're somehow morally obligated to give me more things for free instead of trying to support the people who pay you (Ottoman notwithstanding). ENN was started for and is funded by the Escapist (Escapist News Network), so it's natural that bonus content from ENN should be an Escapist thing; expecting otherwise is kind of silly. It is nice to know that proper LRR content isn't likely to end up in the same barrel, though.

I don't like it, but that's because I'm selfish.
empath

Postby empath » 09 Jun 2010, 21:32

In all honesty, I can see there not being money paid to LRR for the 'ENN outtakes', but I can't say it's impossible. Likely, in the former eventuality, there would be alternate compensation provided as my observations of tE's behaviour have actually been rather reputable.

As for the second, I really have no idea, but WOW - there's something our favourite comedy troupe to suggest to their patron...
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 09 Jun 2010, 23:51

Jim, we really prefer not to talk in anything but vagueries about our business relationships, but I will tell you that a DVD is the Escapist's prerogative. I'd like to see it happen in some form ... maybe a compilation of feature stories ...
ThrashJazzAssassin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby ThrashJazzAssassin » 10 Jun 2010, 02:19

Hey Jer - I don't personally mind at all about the videos being hosted on The Escapist, but I think you guys need to bear in mind that you're always going to annoy some people if you do stuff without warning and then justify it.

In future give people a heads up, phrase the announcement in the way that makes the most sense - "We are now shooting Rejected ENN stories instead of just writing them up, so we can no longer justify hosting them on our own site; consequently, we've offered them up for inclusion in the Escapist Publisher's Club" - and you could avoid at least some of the bad feeling.

That said, I'm very impressed by how calm and reasonable most people's reactions have been this time around. I honestly expected more people to be annoyed by the lack of warning. Clearly, pizza solves all problems.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Jun 2010, 02:20

HIGHFIVEMAN wrote:banning for even mentioning Adblock
Just for the record, that was all deemed the work of a rogue element and rescinded.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Jun 2010, 02:27

I'd just like to touch on one of Ottoman's points, without getting into an arguement or debate, as was not his intention.

The Escapist is not, in any way, targeting or trying to take advantage of LoadingReadyRun fans by keeping Escapist News Network content on their site.
LRR fans just aren't that big of a market, dude. Sorry.

As far as Escapist traffic numbers are concerned, compared to how many views an average LRR video was getting beforehand, targeting just LRR fans doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint.
They are focussing on ENN fans, and it makes no sense to push ENN traffic offsite to LRR.
I'd like to think most LRR fans are ENN fans, but it certainly doesn't go both ways.

It's their brand, and ultimately they own it, and they can do what they want with it. But they're not sharks, they're really cool folks. So we prefer to take the more pro-active, working with them approach. I think it working out well so far, what with the getting paid and all :)

I'd like to thank Jer for laying everything out so reasonably, and to everyone for understanding it so well.
I'd also like to figure out some additional ENN content for here... good thoughts, all.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 10 Jun 2010, 02:29

Oh yeah!
An ENN DVD would be sweet.

Ideally we'd get to add some additional content to it (and, Jim, likely get compensated for such), but again, that's all in their court. It's their IP. I've heard rumblings, but no plans for any DVDs currently exist.

I want one though!

T-T-T-Triple Post!!!
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 10 Jun 2010, 02:47

So do I! Even more than a pizza!
Alex Steacy
First Video: Beats me! No seriously Graham hits me.

Postby Alex Steacy » 10 Jun 2010, 02:53

Escapist News Network - every week - free of charge
Loading Ready Run Sketches - every week - free of charge
Unskippable - every week - free of charge
Crapshots - 3 per week - free of charge
Rejected ENN - now 42 cents per week

WAAAAAAAAH STOP ROBBING ME OF THINGS I FEEL ENTITLED TO YOU GUYS ARE ROTTEN SELLOUTS and I refuse to support you or the people that support you! gibe moar free shit plz

But seriously, if anyone else complains about getting a free goddamn cake and having to shell out a few pennies to eat the cherry on top I am going to scream.

Return to “General Discussion”