What TV Shows Did You Watch at Childhood Not of Your Time

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

What TV Shows Did You Watch at Childhood Not of Your Time

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Jun 2010, 15:16

I'm guessing that most of us close to the same age (I'm 25 in July) watched much of the same shows when we grew up. ReBoot, Space Precinct, Batman, X-Men, Spiderman, Power Rangers that were made at the time you were a child but I was wondering about shows made before you were born. What did you watch?

I grew up watching quite a lot of 1960s and 70s shows:
Joe 90, Mission Impossible, Captain Scarlet, The Champions, Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Avengers, Thunderbirds, Stingray, Batman, Airwolf, Knight Rider, Doctor Who, Land of the Giants, The Munsters, Adams Family, Star Trek (on occasion), Star Trek The Next Generation, The Saint, Lone Ranger, Rawhide, Space 1999, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Planet of the Apes, Battlestar Galactica, Mork and Mindy, Swiss Family Robinson, Dad's Army, Sgt. Bilko.

And this was during the early 90s and we had was BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV and Channel 4 and practically all of these were on the BBC.
Red Dwarf I didn't start watching until 1997.

I'm probably missing one or two that I used to watch.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Juliamon
First Video: I... think it was Who Watches Movies?

Re: What TV Shows Did You Watch at Childhood Not of Your Time

Postby Juliamon » 09 Jun 2010, 15:37

My sister and I were avid watchers of Nick at Nite before it spun off into the TV Land channel (while "Nick at Nite" still exists, it's not the same thing anymore, they show stuff that's waaaaay too current). We watched so much I Dream of Jeannie, I Love Lucy, Happy Days, The Munsters, etc. If it was black & white, we watched it, and our parents let us stay up late to watch it because they themselves had watched it in the past and knew exactly what the content of the shows was.
brb, assaulting children.
Tim
proudfoot
First Video: Something funny.

Postby Tim » 09 Jun 2010, 15:41

I barely watched any TV as a kid.

DBZ was probably the first show I tried to follow with any type of consistency, and it was only showing once a week at the time, so that sucked.
Special People: Superhero-with-a-twist web fiction, updating twice weekly.
Losing Freight: A sci-fi serial where readers vote on daily polls to shape the future of the story!
Cade Antilles
First Video: Man Cooking - The Gigantor

Postby Cade Antilles » 09 Jun 2010, 16:09

Yeah, I watched the original Batman, Battlestar Galactica, Thunderbirds, and Mission: Impossible. I also watched tons of Looney Toons, Disney, and Hanna-Barberra. I also watched Magnum P.I., The A-Team, Knight Rider and Airwolf as they hit syndication.

I was born in '82, so much of my memory of '80s TV is very muddled. I have a hard time remembering what I watched when.
"May the Force rock you!"

Professional Procrastinators - Insuring a better tomorrow, by having more fun today!
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 09 Jun 2010, 16:16

None really. I watched alot of really obscure shows that were made in the late eighties/early nineties. They were contemporary but few people remember them.

Two of them being Legend of the Northwind and Captain Star.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 09 Jun 2010, 16:55

i watched alot of law and order thanks to my parents as well as cops, rescue 911, and AMW
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 09 Jun 2010, 17:03

the two big ones from my childhood are Thunderbirds and Battle of the Planets i was a kid of the early 90's(was born tail end of 89).
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Telaril

Postby Telaril » 09 Jun 2010, 17:15

The shows before my time I can most clearly remember were Get Smart, F Troop, the Dick van Dyke show, and Rocky and Bullwinkle.

The Electric Company was technically slightly before my time so I must have been watching it in reruns.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 09 Jun 2010, 17:16

Trymantha wrote:the two big ones from my childhood are Thunderbirds and Battle of the Planets i was a kid of the early 90's(was born tail end of 89).

I did watch Fireball XL5. AKA black and white Thunderbirds.
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 09 Jun 2010, 17:51

sdhonda wrote:None really. I watched alot of really obscure shows that were made in the late eighties/early nineties. They were contemporary but few people remember them.

Two of them being Legend of the Northwind and Captain Star.

I LOVED Captain Star, but nobody seems to have heard of it. I was so sad they only ever had the...what, eight episodes? Poor Captain Star, he'll never get his orders...

I used to watch I Love Lucy, The Jeffersons, and...another old show I don't remember. They'd come on PBS before Bill Nye, so I'd end up watching all three during the summer. Thats about it for "before my time".

For the record, I'm the same age as the OP and wouldn't consider Star Trek: TNG to be old compared to me, but maybe thats just because I am a big nerd.
His_Ryanness
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming (I think)

Postby His_Ryanness » 09 Jun 2010, 17:55

The only ones that come to mind are MASH and Get Smart. I know I was inordinately fond of Get Smart.

99: Sometimes I wonder if we're any better, Max.
Smart: What are you talking about, 99? We have to shoot and kill and destroy. We represent everything that's wholesome and good in the world.
This signature has been designed by neuroscientists to render you sterile upon reading.
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Postby korri » 09 Jun 2010, 17:55

I remember watching Nick at Nite quite a bit, because it came on slightly early-ish which of course included I dream of Genie, Bewitched, Happy days etc. I also watched the A-team with my little brother when it was on some channel on like saturday mornings, so i'm actually kind of excited to go see the movie

Also, the person I share a lab with did not know who "the Fonz" was....
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 09 Jun 2010, 18:41

Star Trek, MASH, A-Team, Hogans Heros, early loony-toons, Transformers G1 was "before my time" too. Mostly I was raised on 90's fantasy/adventure and sitcoms though.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 09 Jun 2010, 19:24

Star Trek, A LOT of Star Trek. Both of my parents were Trekkies, my Grandfather was a Trekkie (he was watching it when it first aired) in most of my baby videos Star Trek is on in the background. You could say I was born and raised a Trekkie...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 09 Jun 2010, 21:50

Well, besides the early 90's fair, (I was born in in 1990) The 1960's Batman, I watched, the first Spider-man cartoon, lotta Loony Tunes, I'm sure there was more I can't remember
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 09 Jun 2010, 22:21

Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Flintstones and The Jetsons are the only 3 I can think of off the top of my head.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Emberwolf
First Video: The Mirror

Postby Emberwolf » 10 Jun 2010, 00:30

My dad is a big sci-fi fan so I was raised on classic Doctor Who (he got my name from one of the Doctor's companions), Star Trek and the like. I loved Fireball XL5, Captain Scarlet, Stingray, The Avengers, Buck Rogers, The Prisoner. I think I actually watched more series from before my time than stuff OF my time. I was born in '88, so I had a fair bit to choose from.
If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun....
Katharine Hepburn
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 10 Jun 2010, 02:54

I was a big fan of the DCAU, particularly Justice League.

As for shows before my time, I did watch a lot of Thunderbirds, and Wallace and Gromit, though it never clicked that there were only 3 episodes until I was like 10. There was also Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes and old cartoons from the animation golden age that had the right blend of violence and humour for to find appealing.

I also ended up watching a lot of Australian Soaps due to the time schedule, and I watched because I though the accents were funny.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 10 Jun 2010, 04:27

Watched pretty much the same stuff as you Elomin, the BBC's policy on repeating those old classics was pretty awesome. Shame they don't do it as much now, but I guess that's where DVDs come in.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 10 Jun 2010, 05:12

...Airwolf, Knight Rider, Star Trek: TNG were all 80's shows - I should know, I was following each of them on a weekly basis. Also Manimal, Masquerade, Automan, (I don't think any of those made it past a single season) A-Team, Magnum P.I., the remake series of "Mission: Impossible" (caught the original series later in college).

I also watched CHiPs, Emergency!, Happy Days, Mary Tyler Moore, The Jeffersons, M*A*S*H, Cheers, Taxi & Welcome Back Kotter.

As for 'stuff before my time', a lot of your list is on mine, Elomin - as well as Get Smart, I Dream of Jeanie, The Honeymooners, I Love Lucy, The Prisoner (I didn't really 'get' it until much later...especially the final story arc :?) and Hogan's Heroes.

As for 'children's programming' there was Looney Tunes, The Flinstones and The Jestons before my time, then Scooby-Doo, The Smurfs, Sesame Street, Superfriends ("Meanwhile, back at the Hall of Justice, Aquaman makes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich because he can't do CRAP!" ;), Thundercats, The Wombles, Schmoo, 3-2-1 Contact, Captain Caveman, The Muppet Show, Space Ghost (back before he retired to the career of talk show host ;) ), Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, The Barbapapas, G.I. Joe and The Electric Company (Morgan Freeman, bitches!)

...and doubtlessly I've forgotten even more, just like the OP (especially since I'm more than a decade older Image ;) )
Sable
The Master Chef
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Sable » 10 Jun 2010, 05:49

I used to watch David the Gnome, Lost in Space and Doctor Who.

I grew up in a time capsule.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 10 Jun 2010, 06:25

I see only a couple missing from what has previously been mentioned.

Gilligan's Island
M*A*S*H
Captain Caveman (a Hanna-Barbara series)
... mind freeze... bbl.
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 10 Jun 2010, 07:02

+1000 to GET SMART.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 10 Jun 2010, 07:05

Hmmm..
Probably Looney tunes, Tom & Jerry, Thomas the Tank Engine (the one I watched the most. I also had the most Thomas VHS's). Thunderbirds, captain scarlet, stingray.
That's probably about it.
I also used to watch the original star wars movies over and over. Good times.
Keelah Se'lai
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 10 Jun 2010, 15:15

Hoppity Hooper, and Cecil and Beenie
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~

Return to “General Discussion”