How hot is it where you are?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Re: How hot is it where you are?

Postby GreigKM » 29 Jul 2010, 13:25

It's too hot outside, good temperature in my room. In 2 months it will be too cold outside and a good temperature in my room. Thank you air conditioning and heating... It's 26 C out...
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 29 Jul 2010, 13:27

I'm not saying that I am whining about the job being in a hot location, like Siobhan and honda. I'm complaining about how we have A/C normally, and EVERY YEAR the A/C breaks at the SAME TIME, and still they don't realize "Oh, maybe we should have these parts in stock before the A/C breaks."

It really is more that we are frustrated with the situation we are stuck in, not so much the heat and humidity. Because it's so hot, we are slower at responding to customer needs and store maintenance, and our normal "wax museum" level of cleanliness goes out the door. Add in the comments and the crankiness from being so hot, wearing all black clothing as a uniform, and you have a nice scenario for frustration overload.

Also, our store is trying its hardest to sell merchandise, but the heat drives customers away after a while, and when sales numbers go down, payroll hours go down. Right now, I'm working two days a week, around 15 hours total. I NEED to make work more than that.

In short, I admire you both for being able to work in such hot and humid conditions, but because the customers/clients you deal with aren't RIGHT THERE WITH YOU, the situations are different.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Postby Vigafre » 29 Jul 2010, 13:31

I learned basic C to F conversion from Codename: Kids Next Door. "[30C] is like 80 degrees [Fahrenheit]!"
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby falconknight06 » 29 Jul 2010, 14:14

It feels way better today then it did yesterday. It is 78 degrees Fahrenheit today and about half the humidity. It is glorious
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
Spatial Coffee

Postby Spatial Coffee » 29 Jul 2010, 14:25

It's 35 celcius around here.
At winter it got to -35c and now the temperature gets up by 65 degrees. So at first your eyeballs freeze and now your brain boils. How lovely...
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 29 Jul 2010, 20:51

tak197 wrote:In short, I admire you both for being able to work in such hot and humid conditions, but because the customers/clients you deal with aren't RIGHT THERE WITH YOU, the situations are different.

I'm not trying to have a penis contest about whose job is harder in the heat, but I do want to point out that my customer is every taxpayer in the city, and they are around me all the time. I have to constantly be working in 90 - over 100 degree weather, with only 2 - 20 minute breaks in 10 hours. If I stop to take a drink of water and a civilian takes a photo of me, sends it to the paper.. that could mean me literally losing my job because it looks like I'm slacking on their dollar. Not only do I wear heavy, dark clothes, but I have equipment strapped to me the whole day doing manual labour. I sympathize with your no AC in a stuffy building because I've worked retail in buildings that don't even have AC.. but you're right it really isn't the same situation and in my opinion it doesn't even compare. Now, as someone had pointed out I'm sure it's much different working in a kitchen line or anywhere with ovens on a hot day. Each job is different I suppose, as is each persons ability to deal with the heat. I personally don't mind it.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Murakami
First Video: Time is Money

Postby Murakami » 29 Jul 2010, 22:11

It's 20 degrees Centigrade out here. At the and of June and the beginning of July we had around 30, which wasn't that comfortable. But this is nice, maybe a little less wind would make it better, but I really don't like to complain about the weather.
Arius wrote:De Nederlanders vallen binnen!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 30 Jul 2010, 04:32

{Whole Fahrenheit vs. Celsius brouhaha}

Fahrenheit's a scale more suited to humans, since I know people to whom 20C is too cold, yet 21C is too warm - for Fahrenheit, there's more 'notches' in that digital thermometer for the same range without having to resort to decimal places (which, if you NEED to resort to same, the scale isn't really suited for the specifics you're measuring, is it?)

As for today, it's already gettin' pretty humid (which seems to be the unanimous factor in 'unpleasant warmth') already just before 10am Last night one tv station was saying it'd be scattered rain today, the other was saying it'd be sunny; I guess Mother Nature decided to compromise between those two and be sunny yet STICKY AS FUCK. :(

...{Checks Environment Canada's info}

Okay, as of 9:30am NDT it's 24C, 69% humidity and 30C humidex - it's not supposed to get much warmer (25C at peak but less humidity, so same 'percieved temp'), and by evening the scattered showers will begin, culminating in 'thundershowers' by tomorrow morning. :(
Vohn_exel
First Video: commodoreHUSTLE 04 - Fixer

Postby Vohn_exel » 30 Jul 2010, 05:20

I can't imagine people working at UPS during the daytime. I don't know how they do it, it has to be over a hundred inside the hub even when it's eighty out. I mean heck at least at night it only gets up to like 85 sometimes,so it's only about 90 in there.
The Square Root of Nine is Three!
Tetsubo

Postby Tetsubo » 31 Jul 2010, 01:02

At the moment (5:01 AM) it is 72 degrees in my office and 56 degrees outside. Pleasantly dry as well. I am in New Hampshire.
--
Tetsubo
--------------------------------------
Deviant Art: http://ironstaff.deviantart.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/tetsubo57
WBAGNR
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby WBAGNR » 31 Jul 2010, 02:10

It is the middle of winter here in Auckland. It was 15°C today. I do love New Zealand.
iamafish wrote:copping a feel is just the gentlemanly thing to do

My travel blog
Dempsas
First Video: ss

Postby Dempsas » 31 Jul 2010, 02:29

WBAGNR wrote:It is the middle of winter here in Auckland. It was 15°C today. I do love New Zealand.

Auckland is always warm... North Island gets of too easy, then again I struggle even to find the south cold after freezing my ass of in Finland in -30 degrees Celsius on a daily basis.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 31 Jul 2010, 06:36

In northern Illinois this week it's hit 108 degrees fahrenhiet.
Vohn_exel

Postby Vohn_exel » 31 Jul 2010, 07:14

MotorWaffle wrote:In northern Illinois this week it's hit 108 degrees fahrenhiet.

Man, ya'll are getting it worse then we normally do. Hey, since you've obviously taken part of our summer, mind if we borrow your winter? It would be nice if we didn't have to wait for January for it to be cold.
AmazingPjotrMan
...and all I got was this lousy rank.
First Video: 1337

Postby AmazingPjotrMan » 31 Jul 2010, 07:18

It's pretty hot up here on the sun.
"It's nice to think that before "Adam and Eve", there was "Earl Grey""
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 31 Jul 2010, 11:52

AmazingPjotrMan wrote:It's pretty hot up here on the sun.

Wow, didn't know the sun moved.
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 31 Jul 2010, 11:58

it's literally hot
Chuckles
First Video: Omni-Lingual

Postby Chuckles » 31 Jul 2010, 14:44

thatlaurachick wrote:
AmazingPjotrMan wrote:It's pretty hot up here on the sun.

Wow, didn't know the sun moved.

It didn't move.

The US launched Sweden into the sun during the 50's. Don't you remember your history classes?
"Flat beer or a lumpy mattress. Take your pick."
"I'd prefer a flat mattress."
"Hmm.. Well, it could be done.. If I take the lumps out of the mattress, and put them in the beer, you'd have a flat mattress and a lumpy beer!"
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 31 Jul 2010, 15:30

Oh right, totally forgot that part.
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Luft
First Video: Phailhaus 26

Postby Luft » 31 Jul 2010, 16:34

It was 103° F here or about 39° C. Now it is down quite a bit, 75° F or 23° C-ish.
Vohn_exel

Postby Vohn_exel » 31 Jul 2010, 17:42

My weather thing is saying that it's supposed to get up to 105 on monday. That sucks because as long as it's just above a hundred on the weekends, I don't have to work in the aftermath of that heat, lol.
empath

Postby empath » 31 Jul 2010, 18:40

Temperature has been what WOULD be pleasant...if the humidity hasn't been pushing to supersaturation levels; we had showers last night (which didn't do much to alleviate things) and some more over the course of the today.

By the time I got off work, it seemed to be cooling off (finally) and it was actually kinda nice popping out to get some take-out for supper. (too uncomfortable to use the oven :( )

I wager the critical point will be reached overnight tonight and not just intermittent showers but out-and-out RAIN will break over the whole course of Monday, helping to 'drain out' the soggy clouds on the tail end of this system passing over. It'll be even cooler and probably feel NICE, heaven forbid, and depending on how long those rain clouds linger, they should move out to sea eventually and bring sunny, clear and DRY weather; good fur lying under a tree with a good book and occasionally stopping to daydream about shapes in the clouds. (I am SOOO looking forward to a day off work)
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 31 Jul 2010, 19:03

So you guys remember me bitching about the AC being broken? Yeah...

Turns out that the guy they sent to check it out lied to our corporate office. He told us the truth (the compressor is fried, it needs to be replaced) but told corporate something different (the compressor works off and on, so it doesn't need to be replaced right away). They sent another guy out Friday, and he checked. The compressor is really fried, and the leak that the first guy said he fixed never got fixed.

Asshat.
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 31 Jul 2010, 21:59

SLAP HIM IN THE FAAAAAAAAAAAACE.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
empath

Postby empath » 01 Aug 2010, 03:47

I presume he's a third-party contractor, so he's likely never getting any work from your company again.

Yeah, so that rain never materialized last night; the EnvCan forecast keeps promising it, but I'm gonna wait and see...with the air saturated with water vapour. Really un-fucking-comfortable...

Return to “General Discussion”