Where do you want to go? (the travel plans thread)

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Where do you want to go? (the travel plans thread)

Postby thatlaurachick » 08 Aug 2010, 15:07

In the spirit of Alja's thread... where would you go if you could? If you had a year (or more) off from school or work, enough money, supplies, paperwork, language skills, and transportation, where would you go?

Talk about places you are planning to visit soon, years from now or only in your dreams. Though try to keep it practical, most of us can't time travel or survive on Mars. :)

Me?

I am tentatively planning to visit Vancouver and Victoria next August-ish. I'd also like to see Angkor Wat, Tibet, (two places that have always interested me, even though both are difficult to visit), backpack across Scotland (had this planned before and never made the trip), and spend a few months in France (I can speak the language too!). In the US I'd like to visit Hawaii (what's the big deal?), Las Vegas (no, I've never been), New York (city), and Boston. (last two I haven't visited since around age 8 )

So, where do you want to go?
I want a Pinkie launcher.
I X
First Video: Crime And Punishment. I think.

Re: Where do you want to go? (the travel plans thread)

Postby I X » 08 Aug 2010, 15:23

I was 8- no, 9, the last time I was in Boston. I really want to go back. Perhaps I will, someday. Entering the US seems a pain though. There's a lot to be said for Canada too, of course. Not least everyone's favourite online sketch comedy group.*

I dunno. Ireland has an awful lot going for it. I've always been happy here. Maybe I'll travel, maybe I won't. I don't think I'll go to Australia/NZ though. Partly because from what I've heard you can get trapped there if you can't make the money for a ticket home. >_< Also, because I like living in a country where you can be far away from family (and internet/mobile service if you like) while only being at maximum 7 hours'** drive from anywhere else.

*Pure Pwnage. >_> :D I kid.
**Ish. I'm not positive, but 7 hours would get you pretty much anywhere -> anywhere in Ireland.
Often outnumbered, never outpunned.

Note: in Ireland 'ye' is used as the plural of 'you'. It rather neatly avoids confusion online.

"Your accent is...ubiquitous."
-Graham Stark
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 08 Aug 2010, 15:51

I wanna go see more of the east coast of America. As in, somewhere other than Manhattan or Florida. Also California. And Canada. So mainly north America.
Though wherever I go, I always miss being... In England
Keelah Se'lai
Arius
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Arius » 08 Aug 2010, 15:55

Hawaii, Japan, and the Cook Islands.
H̼̮̖͓̻ͮ̀ͬ̓e̟̦͉̾̔̀ͣ͆̄ ͚̤̈̉ͦ̎ͭ̚c̰̠͚̜̹ͪ̐̎̃ͅo̗͌͛ͥ͑m̍ͬͥ̚e͍̱̲̤͚̹͔͛s͚̱̤͚̲̭̗̃̎ͭ̚.̘̫̖̮̠͒̔.̝̹̟̳͚̂̆̋͌̐̚.̬͓̰̃̑
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 08 Aug 2010, 15:57

Planning a two week holiday to Canada next year in July/August. One week in Vancouver a week in Victoria for my 26th birthday. Hoping to avoid thatlaurachick because I'm owed a few punches in the face from her.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 08 Aug 2010, 15:59

Scotland. Definitely Scotland. Also the various London-area museums and the like.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 08 Aug 2010, 16:01

Wanna visit Liskovac again cause it's not only gorgeous but totally cathartic

if I could I'd post pictures of my family's trip there like 5 years ago but blah, no scanner or whatever
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 08 Aug 2010, 16:13

I want to go back to Scotland, this time in Summer. I also want to go back to New Zealand which I think I am doing next September. I want to explore Australia more including taking the train to Perth.

Back in North America I want to take the train across Canada and explore the east.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 08 Aug 2010, 16:21

Pretty much all the UK but particularly Scotland, Iceland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy (there are large family plans to meet up in the Cincoterra in the future), Greece, Switzerland, Germany (again), The Netherlands (again), Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, either/or/or both the Karakorumin India/Pakistan or Himalayas in Tibet/India, Argentina, Chile, Cuba, Mexico, California, Oregon, and the eastern half of Canada.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 08 Aug 2010, 18:20

I really hope to go to Scotland for a semester next school year, but we'll see what happens.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 08 Aug 2010, 18:32

Vietnam. I want to eat an entire cobra that was killed in front of me while drink its spiced blood and eat its still beating heart like an oyster shooter. I also want to go somewhere I can punch a Great White in the face. Preferably while shouting "Fuck you, shark! You ain't so big!"
Last edited by Mister Fiend on 08 Aug 2010, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 08 Aug 2010, 18:32

I want to go home.

I don't know where that is though, so it makes traveling there pretty hard.

It's always eluded me.

Places a bit more traditional?

I honestly don't know.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 08 Aug 2010, 18:55

theDreamer wrote:I want to go home.

I don't know where that is though, so it makes traveling there pretty hard.

It's always eluded me.

Home is the place you want to be. The place where you are loved, and with those you lost most. It's also not necessarily a place you'll ever live. That's all I can tell you.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 08 Aug 2010, 18:58

Croatia.

Also Poland.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 08 Aug 2010, 19:00

Id travel all through asia to see all my coworkers (quite a few want to house me up too) first through japan (where id be on my own) then through SOUTH korean, then china, taiwan, thailand, singapore, malaysia, and then back through.

Also, niagra falls, as last time i was there was AWESOME, was only on the canada side though. LOVED the arcade, canada side was shit though as it was DIRTY and you couldnt get down to the water. Food was okay.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 08 Aug 2010, 19:13

If it were that simple Laura I could go home whenever I wanted and was willing to shill out 9 bucks worth of bus fare and 3 hours of my time.

I meant more...the place I could be happy. The place that fits my contradictions so I don't feel like an outsider in my own home.

I don't actually think such a place could possibly exist though.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
thatlaurachick

Postby thatlaurachick » 08 Aug 2010, 19:22

Levi, read what you just wrote and what I said. Also, I never said it was simple.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 08 Aug 2010, 22:38

I'm currently in Australia and I'll be travelling around it over the next year or so while I'm not working.

I'd love to travel around India, actually my girlfriend and I are planning on doing this at some point.

I'd also like to spend a couple of months going around the Mediterranean, visiting all the historical sites, so starting maybe in Istanbul,going down the western coast of turkey, round the southern coast, down through Israel and Lebanon, possibly over to cyprus, Through Egypt, possibly taking a trip down the nile, then across North Africa and up into Spain, across southern France to Italy, round Italy and Sicily, then over the Adriatic to Greece, then island hopping back to Turkey and up to Istanbul again.

Would be costly and would take lots of time, but it would be amazing.

I'd love to see some of the major European cities as well, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Athens, Istanbul (been there already, but i would go again in a flash), Vienna, Prague, Zurich, Copenhagen. Probably would just do city breaks to these places, rather than a bit tour.

I'd love to go back to the states and into Canada, and to down into South America.

I want to go to the far east, see China, Malaysia, Vietnam, Korea, Japan (again)

Basically i want to go everywhere in the world, especially the bits with a rich history!
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Ergo
First Video: Pimp My Chair

Postby Ergo » 08 Aug 2010, 22:44

Definitely Japan, Germany, Scotland, Canada and New Zealand. I'd also like to visit France and pretty much all of the Nordic countries.

My current plan is to take some time off for travelling late next year; probably for an extended trip around Japan and/or Canada. Hopefully things actually work out that way.

There are still a few things I'd like to see here at home, but I've travelled quite extensively so that particular list is rather small. I love the idea of exploring some of the more remote areas of the Kimberleys, but I can't see it happening any time soon.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 09 Aug 2010, 08:05

I'm planning to, sooner or (probably) later, to visit Canada. Just started reading everything I can about it on teh interwebs. ;)
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 09 Aug 2010, 09:10

Europe for me. I want to visit pretty much everywhere in the UK, and I need to visit a friend of mine in the Netherlands eventually.
#TeamKroze
cathou
First Video: the first one on the escapist

Postby cathou » 09 Aug 2010, 10:16

in 4 days i'm leaving our great frozen lands to visit Punta Cana for a week. i'm very excited about it since i'm my first travel outside canada (except one trip to NY when i was like 8 years old, and a recent travel to US, but only half an hour pass the border)
Souris la vie est un fromage
Murakami
First Video: Time is Money

Postby Murakami » 09 Aug 2010, 12:18

I'd like to see places, but I don't really have the urge. My girlfriend wants to see the world very bad, she'd like to go to India for half a year.
Arius wrote:De Nederlanders vallen binnen!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Aug 2010, 12:26

Addendum; I really, really want to go to Vienna.
Mad Madam Mimm
First Video: Omnilingual
Location: Merry Ol' England. An almost interesting place. Almost.

Postby Mad Madam Mimm » 09 Aug 2010, 12:34

I want to go *everywhere*. Seriously. My holiday history is almost entirely in boring english sea-side towns, apart from one trip to Disney world when I was six and one trip to Wales when I was eight. I am not well travelled at all. I want to go to Canada, Finland, France, Italy, Grecian Islands, Japan, Australia, various bits of America, Scotland, Ireland... Anywhere and everywhere.

Edit: I wouldn't mind seeing India, Cape Town, or parts of Russia either.
Yaxley wrote:I think life occasionally needs someone to ask "Okay, seriously guys. What the hell is going on?"

2 Students, 1 Alien (1 cat, 1 blob and several supporting characters, not to mention weekly sillies)

Tap-dancing Transvestite Ventriloquist

Return to “General Discussion”