Loading Ready Records?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Re: Loading Ready Records?

Postby Evil Jim » 16 Aug 2010, 21:57

You can also try You Send It for free temporary file hosting.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 17 Aug 2010, 02:30

I must have been one of the ten people, I got it fine and it's on my spotify playlist now XD
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 17 Aug 2010, 06:29

Dammit, guys. Is Google Docs really that hard to use?
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
magicpokey
First Video: Paper Boy

Postby magicpokey » 17 Aug 2010, 07:55

Hey everybody, good, and bad, news. Got an email from Tally about this project and I am forced to change it up some. Here, I'll let her explain:

"...I love that you're putting this CD together, and I love that you want to donate a copy for Desert Bus. Unfortunately, I already had to turn down a similar proposal, and here's exactly, word for word, what I told that person:

The LRR-owned interesting music mentioned above (stuff like Ballad of the Fanboy and 64K raps) is stuff we would want to make better recordings of before putting it on any kind of cd, and that's one of those projects that we don't have time for right now, but that we may well try to do one day in the future, so we want to hang onto all that for now.

Not only does this still hold true, but I couldn't exactly tell you yes having told him no, either. I really hate having to turn you down on this, and I'm sorry. Especially since you've already done so much of the project. I hope you'll enjoy it for yourself at least, and I'd love to see/hear your final product. Perhaps we'd be interested in using some of the art for stuff somewhere along the road... it'd be worth checking once you have it done.

Along these lines, I'm thinking that if you do have some art and artists going on projects like this, what about doing not a CD, but a crazy music poster type thing of, say, 64K? Advertising the LoadingReadyRap, or something like that. Just a thought..."

So... Yeah. Totally switching this from a full on album to a mega Size music poster for DB2K10. I am still interested in artwork from everyone (as I can't even draw a good stick figure) and you will be credited on the final product.

As for the ripped music, I don't know how to use Google Docs, but if ottoman dl'd the original file could you upload it there and post a link? If you didn't, PM me and I'll send you the rar again.

Thanks all
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 17 Aug 2010, 09:56

That's a shame, but i totally get why she said no.
A Poster's a cool idea.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 17 Aug 2010, 10:30

danzama wrote:That's a shame, but i totally get why she said no.
A Poster's a cool idea.

Yeah, definitely. I'm not complaining, it's their music and a really good reason.

As for the poster, its gonna be a jumbo size, advertising a fake music show (like Woodstock) called Loading Ready Rock! I would love any and all artwork you guys can come up with, I would especially like sprite versions, caricatures, photo-shops, whatever of the main attractions (64k, Paul from Rapstar, Graham and Paul from Response to ICP, Bag Fries, The Runners, Andy, and the rest of the crew in general. Please post anything you want and I'll make it into a collage of sorts.

Thanks for the support!
I'm a bigger nerd than you. Not by way of intelligence, mind. But because I'm over six feet tall and more than 350 lbs.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 17 Aug 2010, 11:35

No DJ Cuddlebunnies?
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 17 Aug 2010, 15:48

I understand why LRR wants to release their own album, but they've been "We want to re-record everything so it sounds much better" for a few years now. And what with things the way they are, it seems since they didn't do it when they actually had the time, the project is unlikely to see fruition any time soon. That won't stop people from recording the audio from the DVDs & creating their own bootleg albums, but distributing through the LRR forums is apparently a no-no now?

So this brings up a new question: does that go the same for the collection of LRR-related Commodore 64 music I've been archiving? Not everyone has downloaded the HVSC or may be aware that clips used in videos are actually from full songs. Should I keep it to personal use only?

How about distributing the podcasts? I have all 201 downloaded & had plans of uploading the archive for anyone who wanted the whole thing in one easy go. This at least would put less strain on the servers hosting the original files.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 17 Aug 2010, 17:21

Evil Jim wrote:I understand why LRR wants to release their own album, but they've been "We want to re-record everything so it sounds much better" for a few years now. And what with things the way they are, it seems since they didn't do it when they actually had the time, the project is unlikely to see fruition any time soon. That won't stop people from recording the audio from the DVDs & creating their own bootleg albums, but distributing through the LRR forums is apparently a no-no now?

So this brings up a new question: does that go the same for the collection of LRR-related Commodore 64 music I've been archiving? Not everyone has downloaded the HVSC or may be aware that clips used in videos are actually from full songs. Should I keep it to personal use only?

How about distributing the podcasts? I have all 201 downloaded & had plans of uploading the archive for anyone who wanted the whole thing in one easy go. This at least would put less strain on the servers hosting the original files.

This is all a bit of a tricky gray area, but the thinking as far as this project's place in Desert Bus goes is as follows: an item doesn't have to be an official LRR item to be in a Desert Bus auction. However, since LRR would like, at some point in time, to do this exact same project itself, it's not something we'd wish to display an "unofficial" version of in as huge and visible a setting as Desert Bus.

In addition, this doesn't quite fit with the idea of a craft-along item. The craft-along is meant to showcase the talents and creativity of the LRR community, so "repackaging" existing LRR material doesn't quite fit. Don't get me wrong - I am in no way implying that magicpokey is trying to rip us off or do anything out of line. And he is going to great lengths to include some original art from forumites and make the final product something new. But combined with my above point, it just doesn't quite work for the craft-along.

As for your comments about distribution of such music etc. via the forums, I think Jeremy can respond to that more accurately and helpfully than I, so I'll let him do that. Just understand that this isn't us trying to gang up on you. :)
Jer
LRR Crew

Postby Jer » 17 Aug 2010, 17:35

Jim, everything you have said is more-or-less true to an extent, but be wary of veering too far into speculative territory. We have said many times that we would like to re-record a music collection, and we have not done that to this point. We are juggling a lot of projects at the moment but this by no means means we no longer have the time to undertake something like this. The simple fact of the matter is recording an album is expensive and requires a lot of work from people outside loadingreadyrun. It's a huge organizational headache, and not something we can afford to do at present--at least at the level of quality that we'd like.

We have repeatedly asked that folks not re-distribute bootleg mp3s of our music in our rhetorical backyard, but we've backed off of this a bit in the past little while, as we realize we've been doing a bad job of monetizing this content ourselves. That said, we do hold copyright on the material, and distributing fan-made bootlegs ourselves through any venue, including Desert Bus, would implicitly condone them, and could be bad news for us if anyone ever did, legitimately, try to rip us off.

You know that we want you guys to see, use, share and enjoy our content, but it's very important that we protect ourselves and our IP as well. I don't have a perfect solution for this. Sometimes it's a hard balance to strike.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 17 Aug 2010, 17:50

Jer wrote:in our rhetorical backyard
[Princess Bride reference goes here]
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 17 Aug 2010, 20:56

As OP, I just want to point out that this was a project started because I love LRR and everything they stand for. I completely agree with their standpoint and have absolutely no problem changing this project around to respect their wishes.

Jim, these people take time out of Every Day of their lives to produce entertaining and fresh content for us, and have been doing this for the better part of a decade, and they demand nothing in return.

I was trying to do two things, contribute in some small way to the wonderful work being done with Desert Bus For Hope, and fill (with an admittedly stopgap measure) what I saw as a gap in their market. If they want the option to fill that gap on their own, then not only is that their right, but it is their legal prerogative as copyright holders.

The fact that they produce at least four different weekly series worth of content, produce and run one of the biggest charity marathons on the internet, attend conventions, AND take the time to hang with us on the forums means they do a LOT of work for us, and demanding more from them just seems a tad greedy.

I do not speak for anyone on the crew, and I know I am new here to this community, but can we please not act like spoiled children when the creators of all this wonderful content decide (in the nicest and most respectful way possible) to exercise their rights as copyright holders?

As for Jim's other questions about the c64 music and the podcasts, I have no idea how to even begin to answer those. Nor is it my place to do so. So I'll leave that one up to the crew.

Okay, sorry for the tangent there, (and I don't mean to offend anyone, even Jim) I just didn't want a litany of otherwise rational people copy-pasting the same thing like a mob with torches and pitchforks defending my right to essentially pirate LRR content.

/rant

Thanks
Evil Jim

Postby Evil Jim » 17 Aug 2010, 21:00

I think the tone of my previous post was misinterpreted. I understand LRR's standpoint as well as magicpokey's. I'm not demanding any more content, just trying to point out that people will create it anyway if LRR doesn't, & also lead into my other points, which were the main focus of that post:

I'm happy with enjoying the original LRR music on DVDs & the website, otherwise I would have made my own album long ago. But what about the podcast archive & the C64 tracks I mentioned? Do you feel strongly about redistributing these?
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 01 Sep 2010, 13:40

Okay, update time. I have received a grand total of three pieces of artwork for this poster-to-be and the deadline is drawing near. If you want to help, feel free to post here in the thread or email me a pic at [email protected]

Otherwise I might not be able to make good.

No pressure tho.

Thanks in advance everyone!
magicpokey

Postby magicpokey » 09 Sep 2010, 08:29

Okay Everybody, Final Update time:

Since this thread seems to have died, I am scrapping the project. Thank you for the support and for the artwork you have already provided, but I feel it would be more worthwhile just to donate the money that would have been spent here directly to Desert Bus for Hope.

I am sorry to be bailing on you, but I will still be helping in any way that I can.

See ya'all 'round the forums!

Return to “General Discussion”