The Official Desert Bus IV thread!!!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

The Official Desert Bus IV thread!!!

Postby Ottoman » 12 Sep 2010, 13:50

With DBfH4 just over two months away, I thought it was about time there was a place to discuss it. And since Tim expressed very definite apathy about creating an official topic, I decided to take initiative and make one myself. (He said he 'didn't see a problem with it', after all.)

In the run-up to last year's DB, there were quite a few different topics about it. I kind of intend this to be an all-purpose general discussion thread, a place to post stuff such as promotional materials (like Fuzzyfreaker's awesome posters from last year), people's crazy plans to watch every minute of it, and any other discussion or whatnot of note that doesn't need its own thread.

~

You might be able to tell from my signature that I'm really looking forward to this year's run. Every night before I go to bed (since July), I check a box off of this:

And I've been doing all I can to spread the word in school and on Facebook.

I already have reminders set (not that I'd need them) to get out of school early on friday, take a nap until 20:00 or so, then shower and prepare a pile of food and a coffee maker to try to stay awake and watching as long as possible. I'll probably also pay for a slightly better cable connection for November, and maybe even convince my mom to switch computers for the event itself.

EDIT: Wow, my topic was made 'Official'! I'm so happy; it's like I'm finally a proper member.
Last edited by Ottoman on 04 Nov 2010, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: The quasi-official Desert Bus IV thread

Postby Vigafre » 12 Sep 2010, 13:55

I've been quietly waiting. I have a tendency to not show excitement for anything, but the fact is that I'm actually really excited.

I posted this in the "Well..." thread a few days ago.

(Again, click for enhugement)

I'll probably print it if I can find somewhere cheap.

And yeah, I know there really isn't a direct mention of Desert Bus on there, but I honestly couldn't think of anything. And it's unfortunate that I couldn't fit Tally and Kathleen in there.
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 12 Sep 2010, 14:10

Oooh! This is my First Desert Bus. I look forward to all the shenanigans and general fun.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 12 Sep 2010, 15:58

I've been quietly waiting as well. I should try to fly out again, especially since I have to order my next plane ticket before the start of November or I'm out $500 or so in airline credit. I still have to contact the crew first to see if it's ok, then get suggestions on nearby hotels & whatnot.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 12 Sep 2010, 17:39

What's your hotel budget? When I went to UVic my folks would visit a lot and stay in various hotels (they love Victoria) so I have a decent idea of the various hotels. However I'm not sure where the Moonbase Mk. III is so I couldn't help you in terms of proximity.
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby falconknight06 » 12 Sep 2010, 18:08

I was hoping to mail them stuff for Desert Bus as school will prevent me driving the 7 hours to Victoria. Need an address though.
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 12 Sep 2010, 18:10

HOSHIT.

That calendar strikes fear into my heart. I am nowhere NEAR close to finished with my secret craft-along stuff.

SHIT this has kicked my butt into high gear.

I'm really looking forward to this year... if only because I'm SO PROUD of some of the stuff I've made, and I can't wait to see it go to some deserving person.
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 12 Sep 2010, 23:51

must finish poster, must finish poster, must finish poster.

maybe I'll print some prints of some of the other stuff I made last year, and some other new stuff. yeah. it'll be awesome.
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 13 Sep 2010, 01:13

Vigafre:
That is the BEST Photoshop I have seen in a VERY long time. Well played.

Jim:
You are most welcome to come! I'll help you out with places to stay. Shoot me an email!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 13 Sep 2010, 03:06

I wonder, while I don't think he's gonna bring a ton of his own stuff to auction off, is Ken going to be doing live art again? Cuz if so, I want to watch that live, it's that cool.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 13 Sep 2010, 04:29

i shall miss this year's desert bus due to irritating internet issues - I am limited on my usage to 1 GB a month. I have to go to an internet cafe to watch LRR videos. shitsux
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 13 Sep 2010, 05:54

metcarfre wrote:What's your hotel budget? When I went to UVic my folks would visit a lot and stay in various hotels (they love Victoria) so I have a decent idea of the various hotels. However I'm not sure where the Moonbase Mk. III is so I couldn't help you in terms of proximity.

The Moonbase is still a short walk from Downtown.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Zed Alpha

Postby Zed Alpha » 13 Sep 2010, 06:55

I might actually be able to buy something this time around, if they're gonna have the auctions again. At the very least, I can donate something. But yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

Furthermore, I really want to go up there and bring the crew donuts or something. Because donuts are nice and they deserve it. But alas, air fare from Orlando and hotels are expensive.

Perhaps another year, then.
Frozengale wrote:You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 13 Sep 2010, 08:00

That poster should read Days Graham has left to upload the remaining videos from last years DB...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 13 Sep 2010, 09:23

*To the tune of 'Sex on the Phone' by Village People*
Bus! Over the Fall! You know we like it! Bus! Over the Fall!
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 13 Sep 2010, 10:03

Graham wrote:Jim:
You are most welcome to come! I'll help you out with places to stay. Shoot me an email!

The greatness of Jim and Graham combined may be enough power to overcome even EJO.

My wife and I will be honeymooning for all but the first night of Desert Bus so we'll have to miss it this year. Maybe we'll peek in from time to time if we get consistent internet access.

Any chance of getting a Desert Bus LRRtern to work the highlight reel this year? There must be someone at UVic that you guys can offer an unpaid internship to. Internet media is pretty huge right now so why doesn't Bionic Trousers have an unpaid intern from UVic?
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 13 Sep 2010, 10:39

LRRtern...hm, that needs some work. Did anyone do the desert bus fare ticket thing? You know, save up all your coppers for a year? I've got like 70p, its completely useless.
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 13 Sep 2010, 12:09

Emperor Gum wrote:LRRtern...hm, that needs some work.

LRRntern
IntLRRn
Cheap LRRbor
(Indentured) LRRvant

I was just trying for something like that Mythterns on Mythbusters. "LRR Intern" would probably work as well.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
madrak_the_red
First Video: Meatshroom

Postby madrak_the_red » 13 Sep 2010, 12:53

My first desert bus... the trepidation...
...screw chemistry coursework, and I didn't relly want to get into Oxford uni anyhow...
Keelah Se'lai
Ottoman

Postby Ottoman » 13 Sep 2010, 13:42

EnglishMQ wrote:Oooh! This is my First Desert Bus. I look forward to all the shenanigans and general fun.
madrak_the_red wrote:My first desert bus...
Guys. You don't even know. Your minds will be blown.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 13 Sep 2010, 15:32

falconknight06 wrote:I was hoping to mail them stuff for Desert Bus as school will prevent me driving the 7 hours to Victoria. Need an address though.

If you have items you want to donate, you can email [email protected] to let us know what it is and ask for the address.
Elaro
First Video: Three PS3s

Postby Elaro » 13 Sep 2010, 16:27

I've made significant progress on my thing! And more progress is not that difficult to achieve!
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby falconknight06 » 14 Sep 2010, 20:58

I guess now that I've thought about it, rather than mail you guys some stuff you don't need (I wanted to donate things like popcorn and sundry items for the crew) I guess I'll just donate during desert bus. Should help the children!
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
Sable
The Master Chef

Postby Sable » 15 Sep 2010, 09:27

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but my better half and I have a Desert Bus challenge - to donators! If The Crew (tm) choose to integrate it into some sort of announcement, that would be peachy keen, we want to help.

I live very near to Tucson, Arizona.

I possess a driver's license.

Here is the challenge:

1.) If DBFH gets over the Year 1 totals ($22,805) within 24 hours of the event starting (so, 24 hours from the start of the DBFH marathon on 19 November, 2010), we will drive from Tucson, Arizona to Las Vegas, Nevada, for realsies.

2.) If the DBFH donations exceed the Year 2 totals ($70,423) while we are driving, we will turn around as soon as we get there, instead of having fun.

3.) I am a photographer, so there will be pictures of the trip, which I will email to the crew while on the road, 3G permitting. I will be bringing my camera and lenses, my cell phone, my laptop, and an inverter. I have tethering, so I can upload...very...slowly on the road, or stop at somewhere with wi-fi should that fail.

Additional information:

Unfortunately, due to the highway being an actual interstate, I will not be able to drive 45 miles an hour and drift into the other lane. I will not break the law during this enterprise. I will stop to fuel up and use the bathroom, my car gets great milage but it will not make the trip on a single tank. If folks like, and the Crew think this is a good idea, I'll be happy to call in using Skype or my cell phone to say how things are going.

I may undertake certain gags, or take pictures, for donations to DBFH. I will not destroy any of my personal property for DBFH. I will not destroy anyone else's property (unless they have given consent) for DBFH. I will not run my car without oil or something goddamn retarded, I can see you typing it right now, delete that post and start again.

I will happily display advertisement for DBFH on my car, so long as it does not make my car dangerous to drive.

This is my taking a go at increasing the "generosity vs. spite" index of the Desert Bus run. Now not only do folks get to make Graham and Paul and Bill and whoever sit and PLAY the game, but now they have the opportunity to make my wife and I actually DO it - and let me tell you, it's a long, lonesome highway.

Lemme know what you think!
Emperor Gum
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Emperor Gum » 15 Sep 2010, 09:30

You guys are awesome! Do you know how long it will actually take you drive from Tuscon to Vegas including stops, Sable?

Return to “General Discussion”