Tapir12's Anime Reviews

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Tapir12's Anime Reviews

Postby Tapir12 » 15 Sep 2010, 01:27

I know this is not an anime board, but I know we have quite a few anime fans kicking around, including myself (hey, I discovered LRR at Kei-Kon). Since I am currently (though hopefully not for long) unemployed and with good Internet access, I've been watching a lot of anime and I have a lot to say about it and nobody here to talk to. So, I thought I would share some of my thoughts and maybe put a few fans on to some good series that I've found.

P.S. Anime haters, please just walk away.

Toward the Terra (2007) - 8/10

This is a sci-fi series based on a manga from the 70s that takes place in the future when human being have destroyed the Earth and had to move on to other planets. Gradually, different types of people start appearing who have special powers. They are called the Mu and humanity decides that they are dangerous and should be eliminated.

This series starts out as something very stereotypically anime. People with special powers being persecuted, a young, unwilling hero who doesn't want to accept that he's different. Honestly, I wasn't impressed after the first couple of episodes, but I stuck with it and it was worth it, because after 6 or 7 episodes it starts becoming something much bigger.

As it develops, this show starts presenting some very interesting ideas about leadership, sacrifices, what it means to be human (even biologically) and whether the choices we make are the right ones. Unfortunately, some of the most interesting ideas are not presented until very near the end of the show, so we don't have as much time to consider them.

We are introduced to an ever-growing cast of characters who are decently well-developed for a plot driven series. The characters are allowed to grow and change and it's very rewarding to see. The art is very nice and the music is fantastic.

If I had to complain about one thing, I would say it suffers a bit from too many significant characters. If you count everyone who has a name, lines and has some role in the story, you'll have around 30 in a 24 episode series, where usually there are more like 10-20. The series really wants us to know and care about all these people and while it does a good job, sometimes it feels a bit forced, like we were made to care about them just enough so that we would fell something when someone died.

While not quite a masterpiece in my mind, this is a very solid series with an engaging and mostly unpredictable plot, interesting characters and good production values. Definitely entertaining and worth a look.

Edit: added a picture
Last edited by Tapir12 on 15 Sep 2010, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Graham
Super Moderator

Re: Tapir12's Anime Reviews

Postby Graham » 15 Sep 2010, 06:22

That sounds cool. I may check that out!
Murakami
First Video: Time is Money

Postby Murakami » 15 Sep 2010, 08:57

O, this might get me back on anime again. I used to watch anime a lot, a lót.
Arius wrote:De Nederlanders vallen binnen!
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 15 Sep 2010, 11:47

Hey, this is a great idea! It'd be great to get opinions on anime series from the people here, since I find it difficult to get ahold of reviews or opinions on the vast arey of series out there by myself.
Actually, there are a couple of series I'd like to talk to someone who's actually interested in anime about too, in fact. I hope you don't mind if I join in with the presenting-animes-to-the-group. ;)

I'm no reviewer, but..

One Piece is fantastic. Amazing music and there are a good few moments that have honestly brought me to tears, even after a couple viewings. At 450~ish episodes it's a big investment in time, but I personally feel it's also a rewarding one. Not sure how much has been missed out from the manga since I haven't read it, though I don't think it's as much other animes suffer.

The characters are engaging and develop throughout the series, and pretty much all the main characters have very strong reasons for doing what they do, and finding out what those reasons are takes a while, but is well worth it.

Fairy Tail is another great series I'm watching at the moment. It has a fantastic soundtrack, possibly the best I've ever heard, and it's pretty good at evoking emotion too. It's pretty short, at this point, with only about 45-50 episodes so far, and to be honest I think it's rushing things a bit. A story arc is intruduced and resolved in ten episodes where I think it could take longer, but perhaps the epic length of One Piece, where a story arc could take up maybe thirty pluss episodes, has spoiled my expectations. Still, despite the brevity of the arcs it does still manage to evoke quite a lot of empathy for the characters. They grow and face problems, both physical and emotional, and you see them develop as the series progresses.

More than a lot of other animes, the characters have a remarkable level of durability. It's kinda silly, though, when a character who's apparently no different physically from a normal person takes a beating from a guy who's made of iron and can quite easily make holes in walls and then gets up and carries on fighting after a breif lie down.
Another thing is, there aren't many filler episodes, and no filler arcs (yet), but there is one such episode that really bothered me. It's one huge Big Lipped Alligator Moment from beggining to end, especially jarring given that the body-swap theme of the episode is never resolved. It just goes straight into the next story arc in the following episode, with no explanation on how the characters get back into their original bodies. :?

I don't know how much about the manga, since I've never read it, so I suppose it's possible they've cut vast swathes from it for the anime, but it doesn't feel like it. I don't think it's a bad anime for that, though, just a bit... short.
Still worth watching, though, imo. ;)

Um, also, appologies for the huge wall of text. >.>
Murakami

Postby Murakami » 15 Sep 2010, 12:10

Full Metal Alchemist was one of my favorite anime, even though I liked the manga even more. The anime drifts away from the manga it's based on at a certain point, but doesn't get bad. I quit watching the second anime series that would follow the manga-storyline completely. Can't remember why though, might give that another try. Has somebody here watched that second series? I believe the name had Brothers in it, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood maybe?

Also, as far as humor goes, Chobits was golden!
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 15 Sep 2010, 12:11

And now, to derail my own thread, a manga review!

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Manga) - 9.5/10

The Nausicaa manga is Hayao Miyazaki's pet project that he worked on between movies over the course of 16 or so years. It's really a labour of love and it shows. One of the greatest moden storytellers was given the freedom to create an epic story with memorable characters and some very interesting ideas.

Nausicaa is the princess of a small kingdom on the periphery of a greater empire in a world that has been corrupted and poisoned by the people of the past. Now a forest covers most of the land, creating a poisonous environment that humanity must adapt to, or die out. Nausicaa is a swept up into a war where she meets some incredible people and starts to better understand how the world really works and what her role is in changing it forever.

The world in Nausicaa is incredibly detailed, with different cultures, locations, environments completely developed and explored. The are elements of the spiritual and religious closely tied to elements of biology and ecology to balance it and a good dose of politics and military strategy to top everything off. The world and the characters are not independant from each other and Nausicaa is the key to helping them understand that.

What really makes such an intricate story shine is the characters. Nausicaa is a strong and intelligent leader, but it os some of the secondary characters who really bring life to to story. Kushana is a military leader whose heart is not as cold as she makes it seem. Yupa is a great swordsman who has travelled the world in search for the secrets of the forest. Charuka is a high priest who feels what his emperor is doing is wrong. Ketcha is a girl accidently taken along for the ride who manages to have her own impact. There is nobody here who is pure good or pure evil.

The story is well paced and the end will both challenge and satisfy. If you liked the movie version, you should definetly check out the manga.

P.S. If you see some similarities between Nausicaa and Toward the Terra, I did too. It was a complete accident that I decided to watch/read them at the same time, but a lot of the same themes came up in both stories.
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 15 Sep 2010, 12:48

Hey Jester, I've also heard a lot of good things about One Piece, which always surprised me because it doesn't LOOK like a sophisticated show. I actually saw the first few episodes back when it first started but didn't keep with it, the main reason simply being it's length. Started a 400+ episode series that's not finished is a bit daunting. Maybe I'll get around to it one day, but for now I have a bunch of shorter series on my to see list.

I honestly haven't heard of Fairly Tail.

Murakami, I also enjoyed FMA (though the movie was absolute garbage). I haven't had the chance to check out the latest version, which is indeed called Brotherhood. I've read some really mixed reviews about it, so I'm not sure whether I'll watch it or not.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 15 Sep 2010, 13:11

I did enjoy the first FMA, but haven't had a look at the new series and I didn't get around to watching the film either. I might give Brotherhood a chance..

One piece doesn't look fantastic, no, but I think that was partly Oda's choice; he wanted to keep it feeling light despite some of it's heavy themes, and honestly I hardly noticed it doesn't look great after the first few arcs.

It is a little slow to start, I will admit, but give it a chance to get into the 30s and I garuntee you'll be hooked. Even the filler arcs are good, and even don't really feel like filler.

There's an episode in the 30s somewhere, in fact, that never fails to evoke an emotional response from me. IT'd spoil some things to tell you what exactly happens, but trust me; it's well worth watching.

Thanks for the review of Towards the Terra, btw, think I'll check it out! :)

Give Fairy Tail a chance too, it's pretty damn good despite it's flaws. ;)
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 15 Sep 2010, 13:40

Anime:
High school of the dead - imagine dawn of the dead with more panties and jiggling boobs (none shown)
FMA Brotherhood I like better than the original, which still holds a place in my heart
Naruto - First: Fuck you Second: ALL! fillers aside, its a good one, the action sequences in the newest ones are a little iffy but still an original
Melancholy of haruhi suzumiya - odd and funny with a new twist every episode and something new to talk about.
Elemental Hunters: This is an anime that will make you think, as in about science. Its good if youre a biology geek or just love the periodic table of elements. MUST SEE.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 15 Sep 2010, 13:43

Key the Metal Idol: I saw this a long time ago, I think back when I was in middle school, so it's not that clear, but I remember it being very good, and there's a song on the OST from near the end that's gorgeous. Those are my two cents for this thread.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Ergo
First Video: Pimp My Chair

Postby Ergo » 15 Sep 2010, 16:02

Murakami wrote:Has somebody here watched that second series? I believe the name had Brothers in it, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood maybe?

Yep Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I've watched it through a couple of times; I really liked it - much preferred it to the first series myself. Might be the best anime of its type that I've seen.

I've been slowly watching through Honey and Clover again. It's definitely one of the best slice-of-life comedy+drama shows I've ever seen; anime or otherwise. Some of the funniest moments I've ever seen in an anime, and some of the most moving. A brilliantly written, sublime series overall.

Has anyone been watching Katanagatari? That's been pretty amazing so far. I liked Bakemonogatari a lot too (both by Nisio Isin).
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 15 Sep 2010, 16:17

Graham wrote:That sounds cool. I may check that out!
I'll be in Vic this weekend, so I can give you a copy if you want. (I was thinking of getting a t-shirt from you guys anyways)

I really enjoyed Honey and Clover as well. It took me two attempts, as the first time I couldn't really get into it, but once I did I really liked it. I just finished watching the second season a couple weeks ago. My favourite scene is when Mayama is carrying Yamada home when she's drunk. The only thing I really didn't like was the opening sequences. I might or might not do a review for H&C, we'll see.
Last edited by Tapir12 on 15 Sep 2010, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
GreigKM
First Video: One of the LRR3K's (I can't remember)

Postby GreigKM » 15 Sep 2010, 17:58

Ergo wrote:Yep Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I've watched it through a couple of times; I really liked it - much preferred it to the first series myself. Might be the best anime of its type that I've seen.

Mehhhh, FMA: Brotherhood is really good, I much prefer it to most other Anime I've seen, but the original FMA had a better feel to it. I know it varied from the Manga and I can see how some people couldn't get behind that, but I enjoyed both as separate entities and always felt it for the best that the Anime wasn't the same, It made the surprises more... well, surprising. I could get into how the timing and pace of the original was better, and even the voice acting and character development, but this isn't a debate. I would suggest both series, they are both great, just for different reasons. (Just for reference, I watch dubs not subs, If I wanted to read the story I would just pick up the Manga)
Google+ | Steam
I like ponies too much
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 15 Sep 2010, 19:33

Escaflowne the movie is good. It seems a bit rushed but still fun to watch. Im going to watch Magical Shopping ARcade Abenobashi tonight and or tomorrow and see how that pans out
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 15 Sep 2010, 19:43

This is a sci-fi series based on a manga from the 70s that takes place in the future

this sentence literally made me laugh

say it aloud, i'm still giddy.

Code: Select all

This is a sci-fi series based on a manga from the 70s that takes place in the future
FlyingMariachi
First Video: How to Talk like a Pirate

Postby FlyingMariachi » 15 Sep 2010, 20:06

I think FMA ended up deviating from the manga because eventually it reached the point where it was catching up WITH the manga that is just now ended. Imagine if it ended up like DBZ wwith Ed clapping his hands together and screaming for 5 episodes to perform transmutations.
Ergo

Postby Ergo » 15 Sep 2010, 20:55

Tapir12 (re: Honey and Clover) wrote:My favourite scene is when Mayama is carrying Yamada home when she's drunk.
Mine has to be the scene in the second season where Hagu is reflecting on the inability of any one person to explore every creative possibility (the "bit with the boxes"). That was absolutely beautifully poetic; I think any creative person would empathise.

In terms of the lighter stuff there were so many hilarious moments, but the Twister game had me in stitches.

GreigKM wrote:Mehhhh, FMA: Brotherhood is really good, I much prefer it to most other Anime I've seen, but the original FMA had a better feel to it. I know it varied from the Manga and I can see how some people couldn't get behind that, but I enjoyed both as separate entities and always felt it for the best that the Anime wasn't the same, It made the surprises more... well, surprising. I could get into how the timing and pace of the original was better, and even the voice acting and character development, but this isn't a debate. I would suggest both series, they are both great, just for different reasons.
Just to clarify; I liked the original too - it had its own thing going on. If nothing else I found the original to be more emotionally engaging than Brotherhood. As a complete story though, personally I found Brotherhood to be more enjoyable and satisfying. I hadn't read much of the manga, so a lot of it - including the epic finale - came as a surprise to me. Anyways; I agree - both versions are worth seeing.

GreigKM wrote:Just for reference, I watch dubs not subs
I generally watch raws/subs, with a few exceptions here and there.
Tapir12

Postby Tapir12 » 16 Sep 2010, 14:03

Fantastic Children - 8/10

This is one of those series where we start with several different story lines that gradually intertwine. We have an orphan girl who is searching for a place but doesn't know how to find it, a group of white haired children who are searching for a person across several centuries, a journalist who is trying to find the missing children, and a secret organization that is conducting strange experiments.

The story is well constructed to reveal just enough to keep you guessing without frusterating the audience. The children are an enigma. Why are they here? Where did they come from? How are they still alive after hundreds of years? Why are they so interested in these strage experiments that are going on? By the end all of these questions are answered, and probaly not how you expected.

The characters are generally interesting and have individual personalities. Tohma and Helga can be a little annoying at times, but they grow throughout the series. This is not an action packed series, however, as the plot progresses slowly and steadily.

The art is very simplistic (similar to Now and Then, Here and There) and though it might turn some people away, it doesn't what it needs to do. The music in this series is very nice, especially the ending theme which is an absolutely gorgeous piece. One scene late in the series features one of the characters simply walking with powerful music in the background and the music says it all.

If anything bothered me about this anime it's that sometimes it can be a little childish (though the main characters ARE children) and didn't connect with me on an emotional level as much as I had hoped. It's more about solving the mystery, though I could definetly sympathize with some of the internal conflicts of the characters.

Overall a series with an interesting premise, a well executed plot and generally intriging characters, but not quite as impactful as it could have been.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 16 Sep 2010, 17:41

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Murakami

Postby Murakami » 17 Sep 2010, 01:06

Just watched the first episode of Honey and Clover. Good laugh, really fun!
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 20 Sep 2010, 07:59

There are very few anime’s that I’ve really enjoyed. Most of the ones I’ve seen have been reeeeally over-dramatic and hammed-up, the dialogue tend to be incredibly unnatural, and the humor reminds me of Mexican sitcoms, where the joke is always punctuated with a catch-phrase and a camera zoom, only in anime, it’s the character spazzing out and/or going chibby. Also, the wealth of pedophilic overtones creeps me the hell out (I’m looking at you, chobits. The dueling “is he a father figure or a love interest to the robot that looks like a pre-adolescent girl” thing made my skin crawl).

All that being said, if a single animated series can define the word “perfection” it would have to be Cowboy Bebop. Street Fighter II V is the best rendition of the SF story line ever written (and I have seen/read/experienced ALL of them, from Malibu’s comic series that was cancelled after three issues, to the various other comic adaptions, to the anime movie, the Saturday morning cartoon, both live action movies, games etc.). Full Metal Alchemist was really good (I’m curious about the new series, it’s billed as being “darker” even though the original was kinda dark, but the new series LOOKS exactly the same as the old series). Lupan III had amazing writing, but the noodle-limb animation was ultimately just too distracting. I liked Outlaw Star. I really liked FLCL, which is weird because I’ve seen it ten times and still don’t have any clue what the hell it was about, and I have a gut feeling it was actually terrible. Still loved it.

Edit: Neon Genesis Evangelion. Started off with a huge amount of potential, grew increasingly convoluted and pseud-intellectual with every episode and ended with…WTF was that….
-Wraith
Ergo

Postby Ergo » 20 Sep 2010, 22:43

Also a big fan of Cowboy Bebop and FLCL.

Wraith wrote:I’m curious about the new series, it’s billed as being “darker” even though the original was kinda dark, but the new series LOOKS exactly the same as the old series
Actually I felt the original was significantly "darker". Aside from the (massive) plot differences, Brotherhood generally tended to forego some of the original's depth of dramatisation in favour of furthering a more "epic" plot - a strength or weakness depending on which you prefer, I guess. Both of them remain quite dark stories. Visually it is largely the same, the main difference to my mind being the widescreen format (and HD on Blu-Ray obviously).

Wraith wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion. Started off with a huge amount of potential, grew increasingly convoluted and pseudo-intellectual with every episode and ended with...WTF was that...
Pretty much my view of it too (including the End of Evangelion re-ending). I had high hopes for the Rebuild of Evangelion movies. The first movie was pretty darn good actually, but the second one broke it all over again for me in new and (not so) imaginative ways.

I actually quite like Anno Hideaki's previous show, Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water - which ironically enough was one of the main things that sent him spiralling into the four-year depression which supposedly inspired Evangelion.

Based on a Miyazaki concept, inspired (vaguely) by Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Nadia is - for a show aimed at (older) children, at least - actually quite an involving, dark and suspenseful adventure story, especially in its later episodes. It's by no means perfect, but it's a classic and I have a real soft spot for it.

Just on the topic of Nadia; Disney's Atlantis is strangely similar (fairly major spoilers through links).
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 21 Sep 2010, 00:55

Shin chan. Its a funny show and good in shortness but ya.. cant expect too much now, the creator is dead http://www.moetron.com/2009/09/20/crayo ... ound-dead/

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Whitmore
First Video: Fun with Microwaves

Postby Whitmore » 21 Sep 2010, 02:09

Wraith wrote:There are very few anime’s that I’ve really enjoyed. Most of the ones I’ve seen have been reeeeally over-dramatic and hammed-up, the dialogue tend to be incredibly unnatural, and the humor reminds me of Mexican sitcoms, where the joke is always punctuated with a catch-phrase and a camera zoom, only in anime, it’s the character spazzing out and/or going chibby. Also, the wealth of pedophilic overtones creeps me the hell out (I’m looking at you, chobits. The dueling “is he a father figure or a love interest to the robot that looks like a pre-adolescent girl” thing made my skin crawl).

All that being said, if a single animated series can define the word “perfection” it would have to be Cowboy Bebop. Street Fighter II V is the best rendition of the SF story line ever written (and I have seen/read/experienced ALL of them, from Malibu’s comic series that was cancelled after three issues, to the various other comic adaptions, to the anime movie, the Saturday morning cartoon, both live action movies, games etc.). Full Metal Alchemist was really good (I’m curious about the new series, it’s billed as being “darker” even though the original was kinda dark, but the new series LOOKS exactly the same as the old series). Lupan III had amazing writing, but the noodle-limb animation was ultimately just too distracting. I liked Outlaw Star. I really liked FLCL, which is weird because I’ve seen it ten times and still don’t have any clue what the hell it was about, and I have a gut feeling it was actually terrible. Still loved it.

Edit: Neon Genesis Evangelion. Started off with a huge amount of potential, grew increasingly convoluted and pseud-intellectual with every episode and ended with…WTF was that….
Woah. Never have I seen my own feelings about Anime summarized so succinctly.

Good work, chap.
The answer to everything is always tubes.
TheRocketSiobhan wrote:You:"He's the kind that completes me.. he is a best friend for life... that's what kind he is"
Hottie:"OMFG UR SEW IN TOUCH WITH FEELINGS. I WANT UR PENIS IN ME NOW"
BipsCutie
First Video: Phailhaus 25

Postby BipsCutie » 21 Sep 2010, 13:00

If we are sticking strictly to anime, and not including manga, then my list wont be very long. But these are the very few anime i have watched, in order of preference and a little side explanation:
Tales Of The Abyss - Based on the game, fave charater: Luke

Kuroshituji - About a demon butler, fave character: Grell

Fairy Tail - as mentionned previously in this thread, fave character: Loki

Ouran High School Host Club - It's so cute it will burn your eyes out, Fave character: Honey

Fruits Basket - based on the chinese zodiac, fave character: All? it's hard to decide my favourite...

DNAngel - a guy turns into a phamtom theif when he thinks about the girl he likes? it seems weird based on that sentence, but you know... fave character: With (the bunny)

Loveless - it's about fighters and they hae kitty-ears =3, fave character: Ritsuka

Vampire Knight + Vampire Knight Guilty - first anime I watched, about a vampire academy, fave character: Zero or Kaname... it's down to that ultimate question again D=

Elfen Lied - i wasn't that keen, but it was alright, fave character: Lucy?

Naruto: episodes 1-5 and 101... i read it, and then realised how much i couldn't be bothered to go over the same story line after the 5th ep, but episode 101 needed to be watched for the hell of it =D fave character: Zetsu, Kakashi, Kiba, Gaara etc...
I'm like Marmite... you either love me or hate me ^^

Return to “General Discussion”