Let's Play Minecraft

Talk about what you are playing now or join in with one of our forum games.
zfubarz

Re: Let's Play Minecraft

Postby zfubarz » 17 Sep 2010, 08:37

Indeed
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/9/17/
ha I like where this is going

also looks like Notch is about to get rich
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Sep 2010, 09:07

According to his blog, Notch already has over 600K Euros in his Paypal account, so arguably he already is. Actually that much is only in there because evidently Paypal decided to freeze his account just as the sales started to roll in, so money can still go in the account (letting people buy Minecraft), but he can't take money out. Once he has access to that money, he's planning to invest it in the company he's starting up to develop Minecraft and a couple other projects.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
davefp

Postby davefp » 17 Sep 2010, 09:23

Ok, I will finally be getting this at the weekend. I can't hold it off any longer.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Sep 2010, 10:05

For everyone here on the AV Universe server, feel free to use the large mine that Fugi and I built by Empath's tower for all your mining needs, the chest by my tower is also available for your use. I just ask that you continue that you continue the pattern already in place for the mine, and fill in any holes in the walls you make going after mineral veins with dirt or gravel.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
GaspodeTheDog

Postby GaspodeTheDog » 17 Sep 2010, 10:08

empath wrote:Oh, and if you check the server's thread in the official forums, AV's maps are UPSIDE DOWN - south is up and to the right, east is up and to the left, west is down and right and north down and left. That shit messed with my head for quite a while! :lol:

Now that explains why my base ended up in the opposite direction of where i wanted to go. Then again i love my valley.
Ed.
First Video: Desert bus 3 (started at day 3)

Postby Ed. » 17 Sep 2010, 14:16

AV has flipped the latest map so its more logical
Spoilers for your life.
The main character dies at the end.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 17 Sep 2010, 18:12

Squeeeeeeeeeee! Imonthemapimonthemapimonthemap! "Faraway Castle" (top right/East) :mrgreen:

And I'm surprised at how far I'd wandered - glad there's now a warp ("/warp farawaycastle"). Once I've gotten the walls and castle converted from earth to cobblestone, I'll have a chest/workbench/buggy-furnace¹ next to my little 'stairwell mine' that people will be free to use.

Also I'm thinking on naming our little 'freehold' "Republic of LRRistan" or "...Lagistan", and setting out border markers later - anyone got better names to suggest or land claims they wanna make in the area first?

Oh, and just as I got used to the inverted map, he changes it ;) Seriously, I've adapted, AND he's added a compass rose to the map so it helps you get your bearings. (but dayum - 7.6Mb, this is one honkin' map! :) )

Footnote: 1. There was talk that the Friday Update would resolve the lagginess and instability of furnaces (occasionally losing a stack of fuel/ore) - anyone got any confirmation on that?
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 17 Sep 2010, 21:36

I think the today's Friday update is now a Saturday update (so....right now today for us) due to various meeting that Notch had to go to on Friday.

Taking a look at the map...wow, we're isolated. I'm glad the mine shows up too though. I'm thinking of excavating the roof as well to push that a bit further back. May expand the sides too. Just because.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 17 Sep 2010, 21:42

I guess I might join in if we're abandoning the other server for now.
I'd like to do something with that beach area to the northwest, maybe make it into a harbour and eventually find a sea route to lrristan so people may visit and buy riches to bring back....
ANeMzero
First Video: 1337

Postby ANeMzero » 17 Sep 2010, 21:51

Wow.. LRRistan is all the way across the map from where I was building.. Guess thats what I get for taking a random warp and then boating off in a random direction :/
and now; back to me.
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 17 Sep 2010, 22:39

Wait, Where is LRRistan?
Do the Catterpillar!
*wiggle wiggle*
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 17 Sep 2010, 23:52

could be worse, I walked in it's general direction and got completely lost, I left a giant flaming marker to try and find my way back eventually. Wanna know how far I got when the next render comes out.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 17 Sep 2010, 23:52

oh and we're faraway castle
/warp farawaycastle to get there I believe
Vaughn

Postby Vaughn » 18 Sep 2010, 00:10

I've got a LRRian embassy started near the borders of Chad
Once it is further along ill try and get an express tunnel to connect us. probably have a boat-trench along bedrock =D
Do the Catterpillar!

*wiggle wiggle*
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 18 Sep 2010, 00:17

It's one big ass island you're building too.
Ed.

Postby Ed. » 18 Sep 2010, 02:25

where is LRRistan is it close enough to incorporate my islands?
Spoilers for your life.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 18 Sep 2010, 04:01

That's the thing - where LRRistan is is still to be determined; I've got "Faraway Castle" well off to the east-south-east (top right of that map I linked), Ed's island retreat is more to the bottom right, and from what zfubarz said, his 'beach' is probably either bottom-centre or bottom-left. I can still see a coalition of 'city-states' that are not physically connected in territory: "The LRRistani Confederation"? :)

One thing to remember, AVuniverse is running off our gracious host's home computer, so the max players is capped at 10 to allow decent response to those people who are logged in; you may have to spend a while waiting during the busier times of day. But be patient! :D

I worked on getting a gravel road/tunnel set up between my castle and the 'spiral mine'; I'll get back into 'cobbing' my castle tonight after work.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 18 Sep 2010, 04:30

What's the IP of this server? I think I might pay a visit. ;)
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Sep 2010, 07:15

Server thread on the Minecraft forums.

While underground canals linking the LRR-states would be awesome, I foresee it as being rather tricky due to the distances involved and not really being able to see where we're going. A sky-bridge would probably be easier, but far more obtrusive. If anyone can pull it off though, I'm sure we can.
Seraphroy
First Video: Moving Out

Postby Seraphroy » 18 Sep 2010, 07:42

When I played creative with my clan, I ended up doing tunnels between us all. The way I managed to do it was with a third party client (at the time, Notch didn't have the standalone out) that had coordinates shown. I would go to their place, make a note of the coordinates, then head back to the tunnel system and work my way over, dropping sponges every once in a while to be prepared for an accidental ocean breach. Worked nicely.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 18 Sep 2010, 07:55

Cool, thanks Gunner. :D

I dunno about difficult for the cannals. Time consuming, certainly. I'd imagine if you built deep enough you'd be a lot less likely to hit the ocean, and if you build maybe four or five block high corridors and fill the bottom layer with water; bam, you got a canal. It'd just take ages to move the water. Maybe have everlasting pool waystations every so often?
Ed.

Postby Ed. » 18 Sep 2010, 08:36

ive already built a lot of canals here is how we do it

Agree a how far down to go from sea level maybe 30, 40 or 50 blocks

Find the corners using AVs map and sink a shaft down to the required depth at each (maybe add a nice building on top)

Dig tunnels between the shafts just three wide three high at first with a forth row that's two high

use a checker pattern to flood it this is tricky and will be the most time consuoming

make waterfalls and boat elevators to get to and from the sea/ lakes /rivers at our respective areas

lastly leave some extra space in the tunnels so when notch finally fixes mine-carts in SMP we can have an epic underground railway

Or just add notice boards with each others warps on. or even set a central building and each have warps to it and in that place have many signs with all the warps on
Spoilers for your life.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 18 Sep 2010, 08:39

I like massive construction projects myself. Especially since I have no idea what I to actually build right now, hence just the huge mining project.
Ed.

Postby Ed. » 18 Sep 2010, 08:50

wells should we draw up a route then
Spoilers for your life.
Fugiman
First Video: Halo

Postby Fugiman » 18 Sep 2010, 11:50

In regards to the mine:

I had a pattern going that I felt comfortable with, but if anybody wants to change it, go ahead. My method was to place torches every 5 blocks, both vertically and horizontally. Digging was done by climbing the staircase to the left (as you descend) then digging down until you get another step of the staircase. I had planned to replace the roof with 3 layers of glass, but so far can't due to lack of sand and working furnaces :(
Twitter | Google+ | Steam
ClickQuest | MineCraft | Team Fortress 2

Return to “Video Games”