Venting Thread Beta

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
korri
First Video: I honestly can't remember...

Re: Venting Thread Beta

Postby korri » 22 Sep 2010, 11:58

Ok lab partner, I've complained about you before. I understand that you are seriously self conscious about smelling bad and that you want to smell 'nice' but YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPRAY YOURSELF SIX TIMES WITH COLOGNE!!!! Especially since you know that I hate it and that any cologne bugs me. I specifically asked you about 12 times to please do it out in the hallway so that i don't have to smell it, but no you do it right next to my desk so that not do you and our entire lab smell like a cheap hooker, but now all my stuff and I do to.

Sorry for two posts in a row, but this seriously bugs me because now I have to leave MY OWN LAB because I can't stand the stench.
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

my photos! => http://korrinn.deviantart.com
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 22 Sep 2010, 13:22

Is that not considered contamination in the lab?
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 22 Sep 2010, 13:41

metcarfre wrote:The uncomfortable reality is that most people are annoying or stupid. They just learn to shut their mouths in most situations.

Just remember, the stupid/annoying/rude/assholy teenagers of today will CONTINUE to become the S.A.R.A adults of tomorrow, and the S.A.R.A. old people of 'next week'.

And the elderly that piss you off today? They were just younger versions of their same, useless selves in days gone by...

Oh, and In Other News™

FUCK YOU, IGOR!!!!!

ImageImageImageImageImage :x :evil:

q.v.
empath

Postby empath » 22 Sep 2010, 14:06

The Jester wrote:That boils my blood. Just wish I'da been there to back you up, with a bigass fucking broadsword. :twisted:

I'd rather back him up with a video camera recording the whole event.

Cell-cam stills with no context? BRING IT YOU HALF-EDUCATED CHILDREN; I'll show you how The Law works, bitches - hope you like enforced lesbianism, because you'll get plenty of it in Juvenile Detention... :twisted:

I loathe, abhor and despise shitty little kids who think they can twist anyone and anything (including the Courts and Law Enforcement) around their whimsy, and I feel my humanity noticeably lessen when I hear such criminals get away with such abuses of justice...

AlexanderDitto wrote:
sdhonda wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:AUGH.

PEOPLE

ARE

STUPID.

I take this as the default state of homo sapiens sapiens, irrespective of the that repeated word in the taxonomic name there...

There was a guy at the self checkout station with a FULL CART of groceries. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT?! A full cart. I mean, this guy had so much stuff, he was bagging stuff and putting it on the floor, taking up the ENTIRE self checkout area (which has 4 little registers). I swear, this guy had already been there for twenty minutes, and he wasn't even HALF done with his groceries.

:evil:

Okay, that's a different setup than for the 'self-serve' checkouts I've seen; they give you MORE room than a regular checkout, and have 'after-purchase' shelves bigger than a shopping cart, so they must expect full grocery runs, I guess.

As for the 20min without getting through half, he probably took fifteen minutes to figure out how to run ONE item through. (We have gone through about three times, but the first was the worst, simply for that 'learning curve' magnified with the problem of one item being a toothbrush that apparently wasn't heavy enough to set of the scale-sensor :lol: I remember seeing a separate menu for 'small items' since then - glad to know I probably helped 'gamma test' bugs in their system! :mrgreen: )

So, if he's stupid enough to try to use a checkout visibly set up for SMALL PURCHASES he's going to be stupid enough to be nearly incapable of USING the complex and fancy checkout. Also no surprise that he ends up breaking an item - I've shopped and taken home groceries for...a little over twenty years, and the ONLY time I've EVER had any item break on me was purchasing a big lot of 2L soda bottles - sitting in traffic on a hot summer day and one of the bottles ruptured at the base and shot up and around in the car for a bit. And you COULD argue that that wasn't really my fault. :P

Also, sorry for the double-post, but SOMETHING had 'kept me from my appointed rounds' and I gotta make up for lost time... Image
korri

Postby korri » 22 Sep 2010, 15:09

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:Is that not considered contamination in the lab?

Unfortunately in ours its not. The main part of our lab is a sputtering system which operates at all times under a pretty high vacuum so theres no contact with the lab environment itself. Its also a university lab so no one really cares... I don't think the floor has even been cleaned in years, but thats a completely different vent...
Hello world, remember me? I'm the sad little fuck that you failed to see, who you should have recognized When you had the chance. Hello motherfuckers now its time to dance

Chemistring

Postby Chemistring » 22 Sep 2010, 16:32

What the hell, condo management? Your posters in the entrance state that annual fire inspections will be occurring in my building on Monday and Tuesday of next week, and owners/residents are responsible for letting the inspection company (ominously called Farenheit 451...) into their suites or they will be responsible for the cost of a locksmith who will be called to access the suite. In the event that we're not home, we are supposed to leave a clearly labeled key with a neighbor. :?

My landlords live on the other side of Calgary, probably close to an hour drive away, and one of them works out of town during the week. I work 8-5, and moved into this suite just over a month ago. I don't know any of my neighbors and have no intention of handing the key to everything I own over to complete strangers with no legal responsibility for my stuff. Unless they can give me a scheduled time, or 30 minute warning by phone on Monday that they want to enter my suite, I don't know how they can inspect my suite. Tuesday is right out, since I have mandatory meetings from 7 am to 5:30 pm (or later). Why the hell is there no on-site building manager to handle key requests like this?

I'll have to email tonight and see what the property manager suggests, but I don't see this going well. Oh, and all this assumes I'm not selected for a jury starting next Monday, in which case I won't be available at all. <facepalm>

In other news, hoo-fucking-ray, my upstairs neighbors apparently got a dog. So now I can hear the dog barking and skrabbling across the kitchen floor along with the heavy-footed stomping. <headdesk>
It's My Delorean
First Video: commodore hustle 06
Location: The Omniverse International™ campus, The Moon Nation of Omnibus, Universe 64

Postby It's My Delorean » 22 Sep 2010, 18:41

Dear people in the park (most likely teens) kindly shut the hell up! If your already shouting and lanching firecrackers now at 8:30, I hope you don't get hammered and stay in that park till 12. I hate that. Coulden't they at least go down to the river? The parks supposed to be closed at 6 anyways, not that anyone's ever followed that rule.

Oh well in the time it took to type the rant, they've shutted up... so... um, to justify the post;

Man I hate that Dollars for Gold ad. How dumb are people, you /know/ your not getting the full price for your gold, the company/scam is obviously taking money off to make profit and pay for those obnoxious ads. And that guy, YELLING ALL ABOUT DOLLARS FOR GOLD 'TAKE OUR GOLD CHALLENGE!..." Irk. Oh, look many shots of people astonished at how huge their cheques are, that you just happened to catch on film. Nope, Actors, and bad ones at that. (Or maybe I'm projecting my anger on their talent) It seems most ads know their ads, and be ridiclous in other ways, unlike Dollars for Gold, which is so serious about the service they provide, that of taking your gold, giving you an arbitrary dollar amount for it as opposed to real market value, so they can skim off the top. They probably don't even melt the gold, just sell it for twice the cash.

I guess I'm really bothered by how obvious it is. oh well. Oh great, they're yelling in the park again. Great.
Last edited by It's My Delorean on 22 Sep 2010, 21:42, edited 2 times in total.
Co-Owner of Omniverse International

DmitriW wrote:
It's My Delorean wrote:..However, provided you agree with my plan for Titan as detailed above...

I'm so down with that plan.

I don't actually own a Delorean...
empath

Postby empath » 22 Sep 2010, 20:03

Oh, from Anthony "I necromanced Billy back from the grave to pimp OxyClean some more" Sullivan? Yeah, that ghoul conspicuously avoids mentioning anything like 'fair market value' or similar.

"Hey, take your sentimental heirlooms and products of the jeweller's art that are worth MORE than mere price of their component materials because of the effort made in making them, and fob 'em off on us wholesale so we can turn them into contacts for cellphone batteries and overpriced A/V cables!" :roll:
King Kool
Quality and Quantity

Postby King Kool » 22 Sep 2010, 20:37

I can't write. Nothing helps me relax more than writing. And I can't.

Fuck.
a winner is you. - Ash
King Kool, you are wrong. - Graham
King Kool, shut your face. - James
This thread was creepy until KingKool made it AWESOME. - Tombrend
Why this obsession with foam implements? - Metcarfre
Septavius
Location: The friends to the south of our friends to the north

Postby Septavius » 23 Sep 2010, 07:24

What the hell, Data Structures teacher. If you have a common problem with homework submission, and you know about it, and you only plan to give people one resubmit, why in god's name would you tell us about it AFTER the first turn-in? I get to waste my resubmit on dropping one line from four files because I needed it for testing but you didn't tell me it would cock up your grading.

Furthermore, I get the impression you don't teach as your primary occupation. That really bugs me. You teach a class where it's really helpful to have an engaged teacher.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 23 Sep 2010, 07:55

Monday evening I found a spider bite on the back of my leg. two little black dots surrounded by a red welt. Tuesday, welt grows, I go to doctor. Doc gives antibiotics (500 mg 4x/day) and says keep using traditional ointment (Watkins drawing salve, family favorite.) Yesterday, antibiotics make me nauseaus, but controllable. Took pictures of still-growing welt and posted on twitter/facebook. Today, tenderness of bite area changing. Black spot is looking like brownish decayed flesh. 4" diameter surrounding welt is now "hard" tissue.

*sigh* Not to mention that the toxin is causing a constant adrenaline rush, so I'm getting little (and not so restfull) sleeps, and then am jittery all day. ON TOP of the fact that I'm trying to find a new research advisor and possibly change majors and all that good stuff.

I love my life, I do... but sometimes I get really overwhelmed and just need a warm body to snuggle and comfort me and tell me I'll survive. However, I'm in no condition to date even casually, much less put effort into starting a relationship.
korri

Postby korri » 23 Sep 2010, 08:47

2stepz, can you go back to the doctor? That doesn't sound good to me! It can't be good because that seems like A LOT of antibiotics and if they aren't helping and are making you sick, maybe you should get a different prescription?

2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 23 Sep 2010, 09:15

I can tomorrow. My Thursday schedules are killers. Class - straight to work - 1 hour for dinner and errands - more class til 10 pm

~Lori
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 23 Sep 2010, 10:26

How can people fail so hard at grocery shopping? It isn't a new or particularly difficult concept. You don't shove the cart off in a random direction while you run like a gibbering idiot at the raspberry display. You don't then spend five minutes infront of the display, carefully looking at each and every pint as though you're David Curuso and just waiting for the perfect zinger. You aren't even picking them up to check the ones on the bottom/sides you can't see. You just stare at them.

Also, you don't park your cart on one side of a narrow isle, stand on the other side of that isle, and then hem and haw over which brand of sponge to buy, occassionally backing up into the tiny space between you and your cart. Don't give me a dirty look as I narrowly scrape by.

And, as someone else in the thread mentioned recently, don't use the self-checkout if you have a weeks worth of groceries! It will be faster and easier for everyone if you just use a regular checkout lane. Yes, the self-checkout can handle big loads. Alas, you are too stupid to figure out how to run a barcode by a scanner and put the object on the scales marked "Place items here".

Oh, and also: after you've checked out, don't park your cart at the end of the checkout and fuss with your bags for five minutes. I can't get by you, I need to pack my groceries. Now I have to get in the way of the people behind me as I pack my groceries, because I had to wait while you moved ONE turnip from one bag to the other. I guess they were too heavy, but you used the cart. Couldn't you have waited until you were at your car?!

Huh, thats a lot of vitriol over grocery shopping. I went to Arby's after, and it was pretty good. So that was a happy enough.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 23 Sep 2010, 11:24

korri wrote:Ok lab partner, I've complained about you before. I understand that you are seriously self conscious about smelling bad and that you want to smell 'nice' but YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPRAY YOURSELF SIX TIMES WITH COLOGNE!!!! Especially since you know that I hate it and that any cologne bugs me. I specifically asked you about 12 times to please do it out in the hallway so that i don't have to smell it, but no you do it right next to my desk so that not do you and our entire lab smell like a cheap hooker, but now all my stuff and I do to.

Sorry for two posts in a row, but this seriously bugs me because now I have to leave MY OWN LAB because I can't stand the stench.

Develop "asthma"...
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Sep 2010, 11:46

What's your Uni, korri? Most tend to have a 'fragrances' policy somewhere on the books, since many people are allergic.
korri

Postby korri » 23 Sep 2010, 12:37

Keab42 wrote:
korri wrote:Ok lab partner, I've complained about you before. I understand that you are seriously self conscious about smelling bad and that you want to smell 'nice' but YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPRAY YOURSELF SIX TIMES WITH COLOGNE!!!! Especially since you know that I hate it and that any cologne bugs me. I specifically asked you about 12 times to please do it out in the hallway so that i don't have to smell it, but no you do it right next to my desk so that not do you and our entire lab smell like a cheap hooker, but now all my stuff and I do to.

Develop "asthma"...

OH I already have asthma and I tell him it makes me cough but he basically just tells me to stop being a drama queen...

ANd I go to University of Pittsburgh, I have no idea if theres a fragrance policiy. He just doesn't listen to me because no one ever told him he wore too much cologne, so I must just be making it up and he must just "smell good' because people have said that to him

sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 23 Sep 2010, 12:45

Go to your prof, dean, RA, security, whatever...
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 23 Sep 2010, 13:13

Or go to your local bat and take it upside his head
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 23 Sep 2010, 13:51

Spray something foul on him. Preferably just as you're leaving after work one day. Then leg it.
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 23 Sep 2010, 13:56

The Jester wrote:Spray something foul on him. Preferably just as you're leaving after work one day. Then leg it.

+1 Got any sulphates around?
I want a Pinkie launcher.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 23 Sep 2010, 14:05

Also, I'll say that 4 sprays sounds a little excessive, but for me, it's never 4 sprays directly onto myself, but I follow the SDW method: spray, delay, walk away. Not once have I ever had anyone tell me that I am wearing too much, but that's probably because it's diffused over my body.

I will say this though, working at a retail store and having the colognes and perfumes next to the registers SUCKS. People spray each one like 3 or 4 times onto a blotter card. That times 6 different scents equals "God, I can't breathe."

The thing with fragrances is that if you wear too much, people wonder what you're hiding. Maybe appeal to his self-consciousness by asking if he could cut back on it, or try using it like I described above with SDW. Maybe it's also an issue of the scent he's using isn't right for him.

I'm talking way too much about this aren't I?
thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 23 Sep 2010, 14:14

In the very cute, "metrosexual" way. It's all good.
I want a Pinkie launcher.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 23 Sep 2010, 14:18

Again, the combination of Irish Spring soap and Old Spice deodorant is nigh unstoppable!

Oh right, venting. I'm, uh, kind of short rats for my experiment. We'll have to fudge around it. v0v
korri

Postby korri » 23 Sep 2010, 16:37

tak197 wrote:The thing with fragrances is that if you wear too much, people wonder what you're hiding. Maybe appeal to his self-consciousness by asking if he could cut back on it, or try using it like I described above with SDW. Maybe it's also an issue of the scent he's using isn't right for him.

I'm talking way too much about this aren't I?

I've tried this, but it just doesn't work. I tell him to do what I all call the 'walk through" but he just laughs and does it anyway. I tell him that in the morning sometimes i leave because he wears too much cologne and that it really bugs me but he JUST DOESN'T LISTEN and that just pisses me off. Thank god he is graduating in a year and hopefully whoever my advisor gets to replace him will be beter.

Return to “General Discussion”