Quarterly Literature Discussion Thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Bananafish

Re: Quarterly Literature Discussion Thread

Postby Bananafish » 16 Oct 2010, 18:49

Which one of these should i order

Image Image

I found a copy of C&P on amazon for p cheap so I ordered that because I've always wanted my own copy to have that I could refer to but now I'm torn
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 16 Oct 2010, 18:51

I'll order whichever one is suggested first actually~ (you gotta have a reason)
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 17 Oct 2010, 00:00

The second book.

You can hear about crimes against humanity everywhere. Turn on the news, they're there.

What you don't get to hear about so often is sex law.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 17 Oct 2010, 07:23

yeah I was thinking of that one anyway, partly cause of this review

ty~

Nussbaum argues that disgust has long been among the fundamental motivations of those who are fighting for legal discrimination against lesbian and gay citizens. When confronted with same-sex acts and relationships, she writes, they experience "a deep aversion akin to that inspired by bodily wastes, slimy insects, and spoiled food--and then cite that very reaction to justify a range of legal restrictions, from sodomy laws to bans on same-sex marriage." Leon Kass, former head of President Bush's President's Council on Bioethics, even argues that this repugnance has an inherent "wisdom," steering us away from destructive choices. Nussbaum believes that the politics of disgust must be confronted directly, for it contradicts the basic principle of the equality of all citizens under the law. "It says that the mere fact that you happen to make me want to vomit is reason enough for me to treat you as a social pariah, denying you some of your most basic entitlements as a citizen."
asrz
First Video: Tucson or Bust

Postby asrz » 17 Oct 2010, 08:22

I just finished reading The Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind which is all I've read in a very long time, and as fantastic as it was, am looking forward to reading something else.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 17 Oct 2010, 09:00

I've just managed to obtain a copy of Flatland from the library. I've been wanting to read this for ages. I shall review it once I've read it (just got to finish Fry Chronicles first...)
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 17 Oct 2010, 09:53

I finished Fear and Loathing (which was fantastic, by the way), and now am back onto The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon. I received this from someone cycling the Gulf Islands at the Mayne Island Ferry terminal. She said she finished it and it was weighing her down. ANYWAYS, it's pretty great.

Return to “General Discussion”