The Dutch

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
JenSev
First Video: quantum documentary

The Dutch

Postby JenSev » 20 Oct 2010, 02:22

I've noticed that LRR hardly ever comments on the Dutch nowadays, and this is very interesting, since they seem to have been so big on them in the past.
I have recently found out why this is.
The Dutch have planted a secret agent into LRR who has been removing all negative references to the Dutch from the videos.
Unfortunately for him, he has chosen rather poorly in his last name, a last name that is beyond obvious and very rare indeed. So rare indeed that practically everyone living in Holland (or The Netherlands, it's the same thing) with that name is directly related to me, or with a little backtracking through the family tree would turn out to very probably be related to me, and much the same can be said for anyone with that name living in other countries, although we may have to dig a little deeper to find the relation.

I am naturally speaking of the name Stark.

No just kidding it's the name Sevenhuysen, it's written in old Dutch and means SevenHouses (no, not very imaginative but you should see our family shield, which is worse) and would be written as Zevenhuizen in modern days.

This probably isn't the case with Kathleen De Vere, since even though "De" is Dutch for "the" I would say it's a name with a French origin since in French "De" means "of", and seeing that Canada has quite an out of control French population, probably located in the special "French Conservation Area" which is probably located next to or into the "Homo Mortuus Conservation Area", it would not seem illogical that some names of French origin could occur.

This naturally explains the absence of Phunny Dutch News from the Phailhaüs while the Dutch have been continuing to be a bunch of complete raving looneys.

With many regards
J. Sevenhuysen
The only ones that face reality are the ones too stupid to duck when they see it coming!
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Re: The Dutch

Postby iamafish » 20 Oct 2010, 02:57

kathleen is part kiwi, so i think your theory is wrong.

In other news welcome to the LRRums. 100% less obnoxious that the escapist.

Good to see another of the seven-house clan join us. Are you as awesome as notmatt?
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 20 Oct 2010, 03:42

So that means Tim is made of Seven Houses. His rent must be quite high.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 20 Oct 2010, 03:45

Well, no its houses, he owns them. It's the utilities thatll get ya
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
empath
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby empath » 20 Oct 2010, 03:47

No, no no. He was raised on the family property...of seven houses; spent a lot of time travelling back and forth between them. :(

It's like people with the surname "Baker" likely have an ancestor who had to get up ungodly early.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 20 Oct 2010, 04:03

I remember my first job with a baker. We were playing hide and seek. I can still remember how proud he was of my hiding space, seeing his beaming smile from inside the oven.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Dutch guy
First Video: History of Halo

Postby Dutch guy » 20 Oct 2010, 04:14

You called?

Your analysis of Sevenhuysen is pretty much correct, although I believe the Seven has a different origin than the dutch Zeven (Seven, 7) I can't be sure though as I dont have my reference material on hand.

Also, don't forget our dear friend mister Van Humbeck!

Also, welcome. We'll take over these forums in no-time. Tomorrow LRR, next week the WORLD!
THE DUTCH!! THE DUTCH AGAIN!!!!!
Elomin Sha wrote:Dutch guy is the King of the Dutch.
JenSev

Postby JenSev » 20 Oct 2010, 04:17

Well, my family crest has seven houses on it, so I'm pretty sure the Seven comes from the 7.
Unless they got confused somewhere...
The only ones that face reality are the ones too stupid to duck when they see it coming!
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 20 Oct 2010, 04:20

There's not a lot of families who originally HAD a family crest, a lot had them made up much later, by which time the original etimology of the surname had been long forgotten.

(I know my family crest is real :P My grandfather managed to trace it back to atleast somewhere around 1700. Gold shield, with 3 black bars, a visored helmet with a gold and a black feather on top. Guess which one that is :) )
empath

Postby empath » 20 Oct 2010, 05:32

Argent on a pale sable, argent three lions passant.
JenSev

Postby JenSev » 20 Oct 2010, 11:16

Sorry Dutch, I don't know much about family crests, and not sure if you meant 3 black bars.. maybe bears or boars. Although I guess they could be bars.
I like going to bars, but why black? Unless they are really METAL and stuff, I can understand that, and then I'd definitely go there! But Dutch and Metal don't seem to mix very well it seems.
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 20 Oct 2010, 12:49

I don't know the exact reasoning behind the bars (Yeah, it a bar, as in a black rectangle). I should start reading the stuff my grandfather wrote about it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 20 Oct 2010, 12:56

empath wrote:Argent on a pale sable, argent three lions passant.

Three silver lions facing left with thier heads in front of them on a 3 part background of silver, black, silver?
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Murakami
First Video: Time is Money

Postby Murakami » 20 Oct 2010, 14:14

JenSev wrote:But Dutch and Metal don't seem to mix very well it seems.

Dutch folk-metalband 'Heidevolk' begs to differ.

(Not that I'm into metal)
Arius wrote:De Nederlanders vallen binnen!
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 20 Oct 2010, 21:53

JenSev wrote:So rare indeed that practically everyone living in Holland (or The Netherlands, it's the same thing)

I don't agree with you here. Technically only the two western provinces of Noord- and Zuid-Holland can be called Holland. The proper term for the whole country is the Netherlands (Although officially I believe "the Low-Countries is also admissible, in light of the french, les Pays-Bas
empath

Postby empath » 21 Oct 2010, 04:09

aeric90 wrote:
empath wrote:Argent on a pale sable, argent three lions passant.

Three silver lions facing left with thier heads in front of them on a 3 part background of silver, black, silver?

Wow, I was sure I'd screwed it up; it's been years since I described any blazon. :)

(sorry for the blurriness, but it's metallic-coloured AND it's encased in Lucite, so auto-focus got all wonky)
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 21 Oct 2010, 04:12

If you need your daily dose of the dutch go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt49Nphfpug
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 27 Oct 2010, 15:29

Don't worry, I have infiltrated the Dutch from within.

Soon you will all again be able to hear that this country is mad.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
Dutch guy

Postby Dutch guy » 28 Oct 2010, 00:30

I don't need to hear that, I know it for fact :P
JenSev

Postby JenSev » 28 Oct 2010, 04:04

Lisra wrote:Soon you will all again be able to hear that this country is mad.

Yeah, we hear it on daily basis.
But it seems the world has already put us in the looney bin, and tries to ignore us because giving us any attention would encourage us to go even crazier.
Maerarde
First Video: An ENN episode, forgot which

Postby Maerarde » 28 Oct 2010, 04:36

*Chuckles* That last post reminded me of Crazy Dave from PvZ.
My Little Pony <3

Q: How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
A: Well a woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

www.1227.com = best
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 28 Oct 2010, 10:02

That is probably true.. look at what happened over in Germany. Too much attention and now the Gouvernment is run by clowns and the people are.. weird.

As half German I'm allowed to say that.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
BipsCutie
First Video: Phailhaus 25

Postby BipsCutie » 08 Nov 2010, 12:38

*cough*

I'm half Dutch, my name being Danya Van Den Berg, (although my parents Anglicised my first name Danje), literally means 'Danya From The Mountian'. But there are no mountians in Holland, obviously. This is because (according to my dad) that when the English and other countries started creating last names, the Dutch thought the idea wouldn't catch on, so they took the mic and made stupid last names. My cousins last name is 'Naaktgeboren' whih literally means 'Born Naked' xD

also my name on here 'BipsCutie' is part Dutch... Bips means 'bum' in Dutch, but it was the name of my old cat, whose dead, i didn't chose it because it means bum...
I'm like Marmite... you either love me or hate me ^^
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 08 Nov 2010, 13:32

So it's totally not because you think you have a cute ass then? :P
JenSev

Postby JenSev » 08 Nov 2010, 14:42

Actually, "berg" is pretty loosely interpreted in The Netherlands. It could also be a small hill or whatever. As you said in The Netherlands we don't have any mountain, so people didn't really have anything to compare a hill too, besides another hill, so the larger one could be a mountain, who knows.
Usually people with names like Van Den and such were originally orphans and usually named after the place where they were found.
But many could also be people having a bit of a laugh, or without inspiration or whatever.
We also have names like Prins (Prince) and De Koning (The King) and such, so yeah, people were having a lot of fun back then.

The worst Dutch name however is "poepjes" which means "little turds". that definitely has an origin is someone having a bit of a laugh, unless there is another origin to that name that I'm unaware off.

Return to “General Discussion”