The Official Desert Bus IV thread!!!

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Thysane

Re: The Official Desert Bus IV thread!!!

Postby Thysane » 26 Nov 2010, 15:25

I still can't quite believe the amount raised. Almost 200,000! And bussing for nearly 6 days! Who knows what'll happen next year... most probable outcome may be long term damage to LRR's collective sanity. INSANITY FOR THE CHILDREN
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 27 Nov 2010, 02:09

For anybody who wants even more marathon gaming for Childs Play, the Mass Effect Marathon is hitting its stride. They're planning to auction off a custom-crafted plush Blasto the Hanar, which is almost as adorable as a Creepy Doll. http://masseffect.g33kwatch.com/
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 27 Nov 2010, 12:11

Because curiosity often makes me do foolish things, I bought some club soda today. I have to say, it's actually not that bad. I could see drinking this as a beverage. Granted, it's probably a lot worse when it's forced on you, but based on the reactions of the people who drank it on camera, I was expecting it to be a lot more awful.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 27 Nov 2010, 12:44

I think it's mostly the jarring dissonance between expecting a nice sweet can of pop and getting... bubbly water. That tastes of baking soda.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 27 Nov 2010, 12:45

What exactly happened with club soda during Desert Bus? I apparently missed this.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
taza
First Video: Max Effect

Postby taza » 27 Nov 2010, 12:51

Evil Jim wrote:What exactly happened with club soda during Desert Bus? I apparently missed this.

People were "served" with soda water.

Alex especially had several cases of getting soda water offered to him. To the point that he eventually countered with a soda water vest.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 27 Nov 2010, 12:59

Evil Jim wrote:What exactly happened with club soda during Desert Bus? I apparently missed this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icing_(drinking_game)

It's like the whole Bros Icing Bros thing, but without the alcohol. I seem to recall the crew playing the game with iced tea during a podcast once. It got turned into Bros Clubbing Bros during Desert Bus. Of the epic clubbings I actually saw, my favorite was the concealment of a can in a Starbucks cup cut about two-thirds of the way down. I think at least two people fell for "Hey, can you hand me my coffee?" only to pull the top of the cup off and reveal the club soda. Alex's tactical vest was also pretty impressive, though he mentioned on Twitter earlier that someone got him by hiding a can in the box of Magic cards he was supposed to sort.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 27 Nov 2010, 14:14

And the reason why it was club soda specifically was that Jer was drinking it during his shift.
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
NoDeath

Postby NoDeath » 27 Nov 2010, 14:40

I had a really good time this year. Really glad I had some money to donate (I donated like 2 bucks last year). Kinda bummed I was only able to watch for about the first 2 days (though I was able to catch the last hour or so). Wish I could of been there for the Goomba blanket auction :( . Did Octopimp wind up winning it?
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 27 Nov 2010, 14:42

Ottoman wrote:And the reason why it was club soda specifically was that Jer was drinking it during his shift.

Well, sort of. Really it's because of Alex's tastes. Jeremy and I drink club soda all the time (which is how it first came up), but almost no one else around here likes it. Alex especially hates it, which is why Jeremy started using it instead of iced tea for this. Also because being "clubbed" is punnier than being "iced" or "ice tea'd."
xdeathknightx
First Video: It's Magic

Postby xdeathknightx » 27 Nov 2010, 18:17

Yaxley wrote:Because curiosity often makes me do foolish things, I bought some club soda today. I have to say, it's actually not that bad. I could see drinking this as a beverage. Granted, it's probably a lot worse when it's forced on you, but based on the reactions of the people who drank it on camera, I was expecting it to be a lot more awful.

Think it's also down to taste, I can't drink coffee or beverages with a big alcohol taste to them because they just annoy me. While others will have no problem with it. Lets just say I am sensitive when it comes to taste. I can do spicy but when something gets too bitter or overpowering I can't take it. One of the reasons I'm not a big fan of beer.

And I have the same with club soda, the taste of carbonic acid is too sour for me.
Keab42

Postby Keab42 » 28 Nov 2010, 09:48

I have to say that Ian and his Kazoo were unexpected highlights of Desert Bus for me this year.

Everybody who came in seemed to really get into the spirit of things this year it was great to watch and to see the whole room working for the children.
Keab42: Keeb-forty-two Deal with it. @Keab42 | | +Keab42 | | Tumblr
Slack Mesa
First Video: Green

Postby Slack Mesa » 28 Nov 2010, 11:02

I got my first-ever Leonard Cohen album (Live in London) yesterday after hearing the "Hallelujah" cover during Desert Bus. Despite knowing for years that he's influenced so many musicians I liked, I'd somehow missed out on Cohen's music.

No club soda, though. Club soda has never influenced anything good.
Kaiserin
First Video: ENN

Postby Kaiserin » 28 Nov 2010, 12:46

My first Desert Bus.

On the east coast here. When I went to bed the math told me you would all be done 2pm EST which made me sad since, it being thanksgiving in the USA I was going to be at my grandma's til 5pm. I get home at 5:45, log on and YOU'RE STILL THERE! Glad I could catch the finish.

What a ride guys, thank you so much!
Kaiserin
First Video: ENN

Postby Kaiserin » 28 Nov 2010, 12:48

Club soda, or mineral water. I know when I was in europe, if you ask for water you get carbonated. In the USA you get still.

Personally I hate it.

Funny how carbonation can make something that tastes like nothing taste so different huh?
Dubious_wolf
First Video: Mercenary Solutions 2

Postby Dubious_wolf » 28 Nov 2010, 13:02

Kaiserin wrote:Club soda, or mineral water. I know when I was in europe, if you ask for water you get carbonated. In the USA you get still.

Personally I hate it.

Funny how carbonation can make something that tastes like nothing taste so different huh?

yay for carbonic acid. I personally hate club soda, unless it has Gin in it, and a twist of lime. mmmm gin.
^( " )^
winner!
Sarah
First Video: Sound Wars

Postby Sarah » 28 Nov 2010, 13:42

So many awesome moments this year (as usual). But one that still amuses me quite a bit is getting to say in the chat "Everyone but Matt is right." It's some consolation for the fact that he decided to pay for a bookmark rather than support Kroze. I shouldn't have given him that option, I'm just too nice. ;)
[And if that paragraph is incredibly confusing: I told Matt I'd give him a TARDIS bookmark if he pledged support for Kroze on camera, otherwise he'd have to pay for it. He chose to pay.]

That speech to the camera was hilarious for me regardless of the outcome, though. Thanks for the laughs, Matt. And I know it's very unlikely, but if anyone actually has a recording of that moment (or of the Mafia game before that) you will make my day. <3
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 29 Nov 2010, 19:06

Some of the e-cheques must have cleared today, DB4 has officially cleared $200,000!
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Ottoman
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby Ottoman » 29 Nov 2010, 19:09

Hooray!
An engine that both consumes and creates malice.
DoctorVancouver
First Video: Unskippable 01-Lost Planet

Postby DoctorVancouver » 29 Nov 2010, 19:14

Alright! Good going guys.

"Play Minecraft, Watch Top Gear, Get Flag"
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!

Postby Master Gunner » 30 Nov 2010, 09:47

Although the Cathedral on the LRR Minecraft server hasn't being completed yet, due to unavoidable delays, I have gotten a start on the catacombs that will eventually stretch beneath it. First thing to do, due to the urgency of the situation, was to create a tomb where the 81 (and counting) Bothans who died to bring you Desert Bus could be laid to rest.

This is what 81 Bothan coffins looks like:

TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta

Postby tak197 » 30 Nov 2010, 15:08

Gunner, that's awesome.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 30 Nov 2010, 16:25

$207,156.17 whargarbl!
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Father Time

Postby Father Time » 30 Nov 2010, 18:16

Did Desert Bus introduce anyone to songs or shows or whatever that they've never heard of before?

I had no idea what the bad horse song was but then they did and I looked it up and watched it over and over.
tbug

Postby tbug » 30 Nov 2010, 20:08

Father Time wrote:Did Desert Bus introduce anyone to songs or shows or whatever that they've never heard of before?

I had no idea what the bad horse song was but then they did and I looked it up and watched it over and over.

I discovered that I've never seen The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I thought I'd seen all the Disney movies. Guess I'll be renting that one at some point. :)
Dale

Return to “General Discussion”