Worst game ever? You tell me.

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
grimreaper0
First Video: I don't remember, it's been so long...

Worst game ever? You tell me.

Postby grimreaper0 » 16 Jan 2011, 07:32

So I make this account, lurk for a while, never post, and let it sit rotting for a while. Maybe it's time to actually do something with it.

My friends and I go on a game hunt for cheap old gamecube games, because we figure if there's a $2 game that's terrible, we still got our moneys worth. We end up buying 2 or 3 games (they ended up keeping them, I never got a chance to try them out) and I wind up with this game that was long ago recommended to me by a friend. Killer 7.

I'm weary to talk to this friend again.

Killer 7 is the worst game I've ever played. Movement is not based around an analog stick, but holding the A button to move through hallways. If you wish to turn around to go back the way you came, you press B, then continue holding A. When you get to the end of any hallway, it gives you a choice of a few rooms, which usually brings you into another hallway, where you get to do the same thing again. Combat is probably the worst part. Switching to a non-movable first person mode is done by holding R. Time to start shooting? No. Now you have to "scan" for enemies, or you won't be able to see them. Do this by hitting L. This changes the identical baddies (from the clan "heavenly smile") into glowing things that begin to walk toward you. Shoot them, until they explode into white and red particles, which is automatically collected as "blood". If the baddies get close enough to you, they explode, dealing a small amount of damage.

There is a few mechanics beyond combat and running...you have the ability to switch between 7 personalities, who have different guns. But to switch, you must pause the game, select the character, and wait for it to appear on screen.

I managed to work out that to get to new areas, you had to collect certain objects from one area, and bring them to another (without aid of a map of any kind) to activate another object. Along the way you will be met with what looks like a bondage enthusiast with some long japanese name. Every time you initiate conversation with him, he will start his statement out by saying "Master, we're in a tight spot" ramble into poorly translated japanese "tips", and end by saying "in the name of Harman". There is no way to speed conversation up, nor any use to initiating conversation with any of the 3 characters who constantly appear.

tl;dr Killer 7 is very badly done, and the worst game this guy's ever played.

I watched the last part of unskippable after playing this and realized: doing more unskippable's would be more fun if the game was bad. For some reason, there's just more entertainment value out of watching a bad game (not playing, watching) then there is out of watching a good one. In that spirit, anyone who bothered to read this far, tell me about your worst experience in gaming, or if you've ever played Killer 7.

EDIT: Meant Let's Plays, not unskippable's. Nothing wrong with todays unskippable's.
Nevrmore
Supreme Testicle Manager

Re: Worst game ever? You tell me.

Postby Nevrmore » 16 Jan 2011, 08:40

If you think Killer7 is at all about the gameplay then you are as incorrect as thinking that Deadly Premonition is at all about the gemplay.
goat

Postby goat » 16 Jan 2011, 08:42

Hi, Grim, buddy. Welcome to the forums, and I hate to be "that guy" (again), but we do have a games and gaming forum for topics related specifically to, well... games and gaming.

With that said: Yeah, I remember hearing mixed reviews about the rail-shooter style movement and the control scheme. As I recall there was an x-play review that expressed pretty much the exact same feelings you are.

And again, Welcome to the forums, hang around, post more. We like new people.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Ragepyro

Postby Ragepyro » 16 Jan 2011, 08:51

For me the worst game is a hard question, as I play so many bad games. Here's a few:
The Great Escape for PS2, which does actually exist and has only one piece of music in the entire thing. No points if you can guess which.

The Thing for PS2, I won't bother describing this, just go watch Spoony's review of it.

Alone in the Dark 2008 for 360. By god I hate this game for the potential it squandered.

I'll stop for a bit and post again if something new comes to mind.
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 16 Jan 2011, 08:59

Nevrmore is correct here. Killer7 is mostly about the story/atmosphere/general Japanese weirdness here. It's a unique game that's definitely not for everyone, but it's far from a BAD game. To be a BAD game, I think the designers have to properly not care, or get horribly rushed, or just be a movie tie-in.
LogicSword
First Video: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Postby LogicSword » 16 Jan 2011, 09:26

LOST: Via Domus (or whatever it's called)

I'm a massive fan of LOST, I think all six series of it were brilliant and I would quite happily sit and watch it all in one go, provided people kept me fed.

So how did they manage to create such a terrible game? It was just.. *cries*
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 16 Jan 2011, 09:35

I'll be stereotypical and say ET for the Atari 2600, not just because of all the legends about it, but more because I have a copy, have played it, and know first hand how bad it is. I'm not even sure if falling into invisible holes and dying should count as a game.

For something more modern, I'd go with Cross Edge for the PS3. It somehow manages to turn fan service into pure fan spite.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 16 Jan 2011, 09:37

Super,am 64. How did they make it so awful....
goat

Postby goat » 16 Jan 2011, 09:43

MotorWaffle wrote:Super,am 64. How did they make it so awful....

Oh god, superman....

I actually played that. I rented it as a kid. Superman64, who doesn't want to be superman and play videogames at the same time?

I was just a little twerp and even I knew it was terrible.

Danielle Pepin

Postby Danielle Pepin » 16 Jan 2011, 09:58

I wanna be a bus driver and play videogames at the same time. I know better like many people but I'm still a little twerp sometimes.
Image Image
Click here, receive tweet: http://twitter.com/DaniellePepinAI
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 16 Jan 2011, 10:06

I've actually had the luck of not playing alot of bad games ... and the bad games that I have played I've supressed so far down that I can barely remember any gameplay or even the titles ... I just remember it being bad.

The worst game I've played recently though was Final Fantasy XIV. I never got the game, but decide to play in the open Beta that they had just a couple of weeks before release. It felt like a grind from the second I got into a battle, not to mention that I felt like I was mashing buttons without really understanding what was going on. The tutorials that they had in the game had loads of lingo from Final Fantasy XI, making it hard for someone who never even touched that game to understand what the hell they were going on about. Their minimap was so bad (if they even had one ... I can't actually remember that) that I constantly kept refering to the big map, which was pretty much just as bad, because you couldn't zoom-out or move it around to see where you needed to go. You had to walk miles to just get to your first quest .. not to mention the invisible walls and the inability to jump! I hate when games have that. I feel restricted and glued to the floor, not to mention handicapped seeing as my character can't even take a small skip to get down a 2 foot mound of dirt ... No, you have to go AROUND it. So yeah ... might be someone's cup of tea, but it definetly wasn't mine, and don't give me tha "but it was still in Beta!" bullshit. It was two weeks till release! There was no way in hell that they could of fixed all of those problems, which it seems like they weren't going to anyway, seeing as when asked in an interview why they left all of those things out they laughed and said 'because it wasn't needed.'

Anyway! That's the worst game I've played recently.
Last edited by Deedles on 22 Jan 2011, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 16 Jan 2011, 10:14

Worst game I've played, Aero Gauge on the N64. Bullet Witch was better than that racer. IT was given a 16% in the Nintendo Mag over here with a one word comment. 'Crap'.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 21 Jan 2011, 07:02

I have 2 games which I think are terrible:
Review 1: Jumper: Grffins Story

The movie Jumper is based on a science fiction book about a boy who can teleport, its a simple premise really, once he has been somewhere he can then teleport back there at will. The movie is an action packed film which was snubbed by many because of the star, Star War's Hayden Christensen, but was actually really good fun. The book is a more indepth affair and the film doesn't even bother following the framework, I think its because the book itself would not translate well into a movie. To co-incide with the movie, a video game came out, titled "Jumper: Griffin's Story". This tells the tale of the other Jumper you see in the movie, the hard nosed and slightly crazy Griffin who wants to kill all the Paladins (the bad guys) he sees because they killed his family. The game was released with little fanfare and quickly buried because the movie itself flopped. For months I had seen it on the shelf of the Gamestation that I visit, it was always reduced in price and I considered picking it up for the Xbox 360 for the longest time, surely it couldn't be that bad, could it?

So Gamestation also do an offer on PS2 games, 5 Games for £10, which is a bargain consdering some of the games on offer. I picked up 5 games and one of which was Jumper: Griffin's Story for the PS2. Last night I decided to give this game a try, I was bored and looking for a game to get immersed in for an hour or two, my wife had comandeered the TV in the living room so playing anything on the PS3, Wii or 360 was out as they were all in there, so that left me the PC, the Xbox or the PS2 and I opted to try out Jumper.

The game starts with a rather well done cutscene, it is comic book like in it's presentation, reminiscent of the Watchmen cutscenes from "The End Is Nigh" downloadable game and I quite liked them. Then the game begins. Right away your thrown in a bland level, graphics that look like an N64 game at best and you control Griffin, suddenly tutorial boxes are popping up telling you how to port, you hold R1 and a reticule appears on screen and you use the right stick to move the reticule and then let go of R1 and you jump to that destination. After a few trys at this I realised this was a really cool game mechanic and the wheels in my head began spinning, this game was going to be awesome, I could teleport all over levels, using my power to stealth my way through a level and if someone got in my way, I teleport beside them, grab them and port over somewhere high and drop them then port back. Okay so the graphics were poor because the game mechanic would allow you to do all those things, I could accept that. Okay here we go, my first group of enemies have entered the level, its stealth time! Wait no, they are running right at me despite the fact I was standing out of sight of them, suddenly another box pops up explaining combat. Ah right! I get it now! Combat is where this game will excel, my mind flittered back to the illfated X-Men game that came out around the time of the god awful X-Men 3 movie. In that game you played some levels at Nightcrawler, and you teleported in that game but what was the best thing about Nightcrawler was his combat within the game. You mixed your teleporting with you attacks, meaning you jumped behind or to the side of someone during an attack and it was really really good. The rest of the game was really really bad. The controls for the combat in X-Men were actually really good as you had a lot of control over the ability to teleport and during combat you chose when to teleport.
In Jumper, you hit the attack buttons and Griffin teleports all over the place, which I am sure the makers of the game thought was cool but would surely cause an epeleptic fit on anyone watching screen that it flickers so much. There is no control over combat, none at all, you can't even work on combos because you have no idea where the combat will port you so one punch might be in front of him, the next behind them and then the next to his side, its inconsistent and no skill is brought into it at all.

Slightly deflated I pressed on, okay combat was terrible and the graphics were poor, maybe just maybe there is something redeeming about the game because the port mechanic is still pretty cool. I'll just port up on that ledge and take a look at the level, go on then, damn it reticule move up! I said move up! What is going on here? I am a Jumper, I should be able to teleport wherever I want, yet this game limits you to things on ground level or maybe a foot off the ground. Sighing I scrammbled for another thing that might save the game, okay maybe the game has little bits of combat but has some puzzle elements for you to work out using your teleporting powers. As I progressed through the level the first puzzle section appeared, a lot of water had spilled and had been electrified, right here goes, wait what are you doing game? No, stop it! Stop showing me the path through this puzzle, I command you to stop! Argh! You ruined it! The one thing that could have redeemed this game, ruined because they show you the way through these parts of the level, rather than allow you to do it yourself. They do it for every single part of the game!

After replacing the controller on the PS2, breaking the other one in sheer frustration, I set about seeing my way through at least 1 level of the game. So, tedious combat is something I want to avoid, why don't I jump past everyone and can speed run the game! Yeah that would work. Well it WOULD work, and it SHOULD work, but it doesn't. The game doesn't let you away from any level until you fight and defeat every single enemy. It was as I was doing this I encountered the first huge mistake or glitch or something about this game, I was battling a paladin and bashing the buttons when suddenly my character grabbed the paladin. This was new, what was I to do now, well nothing apparently, I triggered a small animation where I threw the paladin to the ground dead. I think I was supposed to have snapped his neck in that animation but it didn't look like it. But before I go on, let me explain the first level, its set inside the Colliseum in Rome, the levels are running around in the ruins, yet when I triggered this animation suddenly I am on a street somewhere urban with a official building behind me. Had I jumped? No, I hadn't jumped because when the animation finish the game showed me tossed the man to the ground beside me in the ruins. I hadn't jumped, there was no indication of this, the game was just bad.

I was on the verge of a wanting to destroy this game, take it from my PS2 and literally destroy it. I wanted to snap the disc in half, then blend the parts until it could never be put back together, but then I would put the bits in a bag and jump up and down on them until I could barely stand and then I would set fire to the bag. That is what I wanted to do, but I didn't. I was going to see this level through to the end. I entered a new area, four paladins were there and I beat them up and walked to a fence, the fence had what was supposed to be a door attached to it, the graphics were so poor it was hard to tell. The door didn't open, how am I supposed to get to the next section? I had given up on teleporting through sections because running was easier, so I tried teleporting beside the fence to see if I ended up on the other side, nope, it didn't work. So I ran to the other end of the room, nothing, no switches or anything, so I teleported back to the fence and suddenly the door opened. So the game doesn't respond to you running anywhere, but if you teleport they are fine with it, what kind of logic is that? Yes teleporting can be cool and some people will find an hour or so of fun with it, but shackling players to it is a huge mistake. So I eventually got to the end of the level to see a small in game cinematic, a helicopter appears and starts shooting at him, he jumps to beside a nearby police car, revs the engine, speeds forward then ports the car and himself in the air falling toward the helicopter, he then teleports out as we watch a bland explosion. Hmmm, if you had been given the ability to do things like that maybe the game would have been better. Then the level ended and I turned off the game. I doubt I will ever turn the game back on.

Jumper: Griffin's Story is horrible, it has no redeeming features about it whatsoever, its horrible to look at, horrible to play and horrible to even be in the same room as it. The feeling you get playing it is when you are waiting for a lift, the lift arrives and about 5 or 6 people file out and you step in alone, the doors close and you realise someone farted in there and now your trapped with it. When you buy Jumper on any system, your trapped with a smelly fart that you cannot escape. The thing is, the concept of the game is sound. You play a teleporter who uses his powers to get through levels and also for combat, on paper it sounds good. The game feels rushed, so rushed to the point that it doesn't feel like it was ever finished, nothing feels polished. Now if the makers have given you huge levels and your teleporting ability and let you run wild, people would have had a blast with this game. Take a look at Crackdown, you are an agent who has to boost his powers and they tell you to go explore. The makers pretty much tell you: "on you go, have some fun, the plot will still be here when you get back" and so you run around the city, occasionally getting in cars but mostly climbing buildings and running around the rooftops, and if you decide to use the Keys To The City cheat pack, you will spend a lot of time just messing around with the city. Leaping tall buildings in a single bound, picking up huge tankers and throwing them into the air, firing a rocket at the tanker then watching as it all explodes. Your not "supposed" to do that as part of the plot but you will do it because its fun. Had the makers come to Jumper with that point of view, they could have made an awesome game, they didn't and my best guess for that would be because they were probably handed the game at the last minute and did their best to create a finished product in time for the movies' release.
Avoid this game at all costs, it is truly horrible and you will feel rage, sadness and even apathy as you play this game, it has the ability to ellicit conflicting emotions and none of those are good emotions. The game doesn't look good and it doesn't handle well at all, there is nothing redeeming about the game at all, honestly I play lots of bad games and enjoy a lot of them, but this game, it goes beyond the "so bad that it's good" factor and sinks to the bowels of hell itself.

However, I do recommend watching the movie, it is good fun and tells an interesting story, the only problem is that it left the door wide open for a sequel, no scratch that, the ending pretty much demanded a sequel which I have heard is in the works but it could turn out to be just high hopes. The book of Jumper is interesting too and is a completely different story from the movie, so if you liked the movie, I would advise picking up the book, it is fun and not like the movie. Stay away from the game at all costs, if you need more reason to stay away from the game then here it is: Jumper: Griffin's Story kills kittens for fun. There you have all the reason you need not to pick up this game, not even out of curiosity like I did, don't do it. Even if it is a bargain bin for a price you can't believe, there is a reason it is in that bin, leave it be! God willing someone will round up all the copies of this game abnd bury it in the desert beside the Atari 2600 cartridges of E.T.
Now I need to go take a shower and wash the stink of this game off me.
Last edited by RobertMc123 on 21 Jan 2011, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 21 Jan 2011, 07:07

And now Game Number 2: Shadow of The Collosus(sp?)
(sorry these are long winded but these games REALLY pissed me off)

So once again I try to make myself unpopular, last night when I had some free time I decided to try out Shadow Of The Collosus on PS2, this was after listening to and old Listen Up podcast where they procrastonate about how great this game is.

I booted up the game, watched the slow opening as the young hero travels to a distant land on horseback, he turns up a temple and places a girl, who is quite obviously dead, on a plinth. Suddenly a god-like being talks to him, notices he has a legendary sword and asks what the hero wants. The hero says he wants the girl brought back to life and the god like being says he will do this but only if he kills 14 of the Collosi that roam the land beyond the temple. The young hero nods and sets off on his quest.

So you start off on your quest, you and your horse ride out onto the barren lands looking for the Collosi, and to find them you must hold up your sword and light will shine from it, if you point it in the right direct the light beam becomes more focussed and your controller vibrates. Travelling on the horse is slightly clunky and I had a lot of issues with it. So I pinpoint the first Collosi, ride across the plains, not feeling entirely comfortable with it and get to a set of cliffs and walls that I need to climb up.

Next comes the next problem, the controls, everything about the controls feels wrong. Triangle is jump but you also must hold down R1 to grab onto something. Coming off games were the controls are simple and fluid, this game feels ackward, like they thought about the controls last and focussed more up on the look of the game.

Whilst I digress, the look of the game is fantastic, everything about it is pleasing to the eye and when you finally catch sight of any of the Collosi you are very impressed.

So I climb, ackwardly, up the cliffs, falling a few times because the damn controls wont behave. At the top of the cliff, the game suddenly takes control for a few seconds as you watch the large Collosus walks by. It is a huge lumbering beast that is carrying a club, but it is just walking along. It's not bothering anyone. Hmmm, anyway I run after it and jump and grab some fur at his ankle, the sword I hold reveals weak spots on the collosus and luckily this one has one weak spot on his ankle so I hack at that spot and the beast stumbles to one knee, this puts his body at an angle that I can now climb his huge body. That's another thing the Collosi are make of skin and stone, their bodies built in such ways that they have platforms and ledges. You need the ledges because you have a grip meter and when it runs out, you lose your grip. So I climb the beast, it takes a while, I fall off a number of times and die twice but I hoist myself up his back, the Collosus trying to throw me off it's body, but I get to the top of his head and see the weak spot. I charge up my strike and drive the sword into the top of it's head. Black blood sprays out, the energy bar goes down by a third, the Collosus howls in pain and range but does nothing else, so I charge another blow and strike again, more blood flies out and it howls again but does nothing more to get me off. The energy bar is now only one third full, one more strike but I am holding back, I could strike one more time, end this and go after the other one but it is difficult. Eventually I strike the final blow, the beast falls and I roll off it, now I just want to go on my way but no the game makes me watch the beasts death throws and then something happens to the character and he wakes up back at the temple.

In the temple I am told to go after the second one, but I am torn at this point, how selfish a character is this guy? I mean I have played anti-heroes but dude, you are killing 14 rather peaceful beasts just so you can do the mattress mambo with this chick? You make me sick! These creatures aren't terrorising anyone, in fact the lands that they occupy are EMPTY, there are no villages being destroyed, no people under threat and no big baddies to destroy, your only "enemies" are the 14 collosi and they don't know you are coming for them. They are minding their own business and along you come, the evil Don Juan, climbing their bodies and striking down these beasts for other reason except to get your nuts wet. So with a heavy heart I went after the second beast, which I finally found on a large sandy plain, it was on four legs and looked like a Collosi approximation of a dog. OH COME ON! You want me to kill a dog?

That's it!

The game is off now and I refuse to play it again. People go on at length about how beatiful and wonderous Ico and Shadow of The Collosus are, I haven't played Ico so I cannot comment, but Shadow of The Collosus is a game that makes you feel bad! Not like Manhunt which makes you feel dirty and unwashed, but bad in the fact that you are a selfish prick who kills some beasts to get sweaty and squelchy with some dead bint. You know what dude, move on! There are plenty of other girls out there, and if someone tells you to go out and kill 14 peaceful beasts to bring her back, then that person is messing with you. The people who love this game, LOVE THIS GAME, they are fanatical about it and if you speak out against it then "you didn't get it". Get what? Get that you play a selfish dickwad who is a sociopath and his sole motivation is do go balls deep in some dead broad? Well if I don't get that, then GOOD! If you want me to feel good about killing these beasts FUCK YOU. This game is horrendous in its motivations, I hate it. It's not a "bad" game by any standards, it looks nice and the theme of it is odd but it just makes you feel wrong. I choose not to kill these beasts and I have deleted my save, I wont be going back to this game ever, its sick and its wrong.

On another note, killing small animals is the first sign of a serial killer, he is killing an approximation of small animals in Colossus form, that means this guy is going to be the biggest mass murderer we have ever seen, don't encourage him!
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 21 Jan 2011, 07:42

I read this opinion and I have to admit I'm a bit... upset by it. Roughly 90% of the video games on the market today have you as some super powered uber-soldier terminating the life of thousands of people without as much as a thought to what the motivation of the main character is or the consequences of that action.

Suddenly presented with a game where you understand the horror of what you're doing, you understand why you are doing it, and know the true weight of the responsibility of having ended the life of essentially a harmless creature. Now it becomes reprehensible even though it's demonstrating the lengths someone is willing to go for love. Now you're willing to shut the console off.

Also you recommend watching the movie Jumper. I'm not sure which is worse.
Last edited by aeric90 on 21 Jan 2011, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 21 Jan 2011, 07:42

While you're exaggerating towards the end there, that's one of the themes of Shadow of the Colossus, that this isn't a heroic quest. It's designed to make you question the motivations of the main character, something which becomes clearer as the game goes on.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 21 Jan 2011, 13:32

RobertMc123 wrote:And now Game Number 2: Shadow of The Collosus(sp?)

[snip]

The game is off now and I refuse to play it again. People go on at length about how beatiful and wonderous Ico and Shadow of The Collosus are, I haven't played Ico so I cannot comment, but Shadow of The Collosus is a game that makes you feel bad! Not like Manhunt which makes you feel dirty and unwashed, but bad in the fact that you are a selfish prick who kills some beasts to get sweaty and squelchy with some dead bint. You know what dude, move on! There are plenty of other girls out there, and if someone tells you to go out and kill 14 peaceful beasts to bring her back, then that person is messing with you. The people who love this game, LOVE THIS GAME, they are fanatical about it and if you speak out against it then "you didn't get it". Get what? Get that you play a selfish dickwad who is a sociopath and his sole motivation is do go balls deep in some dead broad? Well if I don't get that, then GOOD! If you want me to feel good about killing these beasts FUCK YOU. This game is horrendous in its motivations, I hate it. It's not a "bad" game by any standards, it looks nice and the theme of it is odd but it just makes you feel wrong. I choose not to kill these beasts and I have deleted my save, I wont be going back to this game ever, its sick and its wrong.

On another note, killing small animals is the first sign of a serial killer, he is killing an approximation of small animals in Colossus form, that means this guy is going to be the biggest mass murderer we have ever seen, don't encourage him!

Your post has so many errors & fallacies I don't even know where to start. The least of which being the number of colossi (it's 16) and the fact that you can't even spell "colossus" correctly when it's right on the box of the game you just played. You are basing a lot of assumptions off details that don't even exist or are intended to be ambiguous. You've only played 1/8 of the game before quitting to whine about it on the Internet so you have no real insight to what's going on.

You hate it because it made you feel bad? Maybe you should just go play a zombie killing game or one of the countless WWII combat games out there. Then you can murder to your heart's content without feeling a shred of guilt or remorse.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!
goat

Postby goat » 21 Jan 2011, 13:43

aeric90 wrote:Also you recommend watching the movie Jumper. I'm not sure which is worse.

That is always the worse of two options. I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes in before I ragequited my living room.

empath

Postby empath » 21 Jan 2011, 13:50

Can I take this moment to admit that I didn't actually HATE E.T.? Not exactly Ultima IV or Starflight or Duke Nukem 3D, but my experience didn't really merit the enmity I've seen...
aeric90

Postby aeric90 » 21 Jan 2011, 13:57

E.T. *shivers* I never really played it. I just watched a friend. The title screen gives me nightmares.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 21 Jan 2011, 14:05

RobertMc123 wrote:snip

-m

I am not angry at you.
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 21 Jan 2011, 14:11

empath wrote:Can I take this moment to admit that I didn't actually HATE E.T.? Not exactly Ultima IV or Starflight or Duke Nukem 3D, but my experience didn't really merit the enmity I've seen...

I don't think E.T. is universally reviled simply because it was awful. It also has a lot to do with the market environment in which it was released. Cashing in on the video game craze, companies were making games about anything whatsoever. Purina made a game about dog food, for crying out loud. And with most of these being nothing more than quick cash-ins, quality was frequently low, leaving video game buyers wary of wasting money on a crappy game. Then Atari prints millions of copies of E.T., a game rushed out in six weeks to make a Christmas deadline, but still incredibly hyped because of its connection to a very popular movie, and it was the straw that broke the camel's back. Atari printed 5 million copies of a worthless game, had millions of them unsold in warehouses, and many of the ones that did sell were returned, which is where we get that story about Atari dumping millions of copies of E.T. into a landfill in New Mexico. Atari lost over $500 million in 1983 and the video game market completely collapsed. If not for Nintendo taking a gamble on reviving it, we might not even have video games today.

So basically E.T. is the worst game ever because it nearly destroyed the industry.
MotorWaffle
First Video: Phailhaus #3

Postby MotorWaffle » 21 Jan 2011, 14:27

Looking through my PS2 binder, I find GoDai: Elemental Force. I recalled the day in my youth (12 years old, I think) where I had a rare $10 bill, and this awesome looking game was only $7.99 (or something like that) at the store.
It looke awesome, even when I put it in and started playing. Slowly, however, the glitches, horrible camera and kind of lame rewards for incredible amounts of work made me ragequit.
RobertMc123

Postby RobertMc123 » 21 Jan 2011, 15:00

I know my opinion would be unpopular but it is just my opinion, I didn't like the game but that doesn't detract from the fact that some people live it and cherish it as a classic, yeah I exaggerated a lot but that was just my mood at the time. Btw my favourite games of all time are Prince of Persia The
Sands of Time, Sid Meiers Pirates! And Mass Effect 1&2. Just for context.
Also the movie of Jumper isn't that bad, for a simple action sci-fi movie it did a decent job, people are biased because the guy in it was Darth Vader and claim he raped their childhood or some such nonsense.
Evil Jim
First Video: Shake Your Hands

Postby Evil Jim » 21 Jan 2011, 15:10

Clearly you folks haven't played Big Mutha Truckers.
Arius wrote:People were just so awestruck by your awesomeness that they became catatonic.
ThrashJazzAssassin wrote:BURN HIM! BURN THE HERETIC! DEATH TO ALL WHO SCORN THE AWESOMENESS OF EVIL JIM!

Return to “General Discussion”