Anonymous/ Politics/ dog killer thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Anonymous is at it again

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Feb 2011, 12:55

Alja for President anyone?
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 09 Feb 2011, 13:00

Oddly, I'm eligible. Or will be in a handful of years.

That said, there's no way the system would let it happen. I'm not willing to be a pawn, pay off the right people, or in any way be corrupt, so there's no way I'd be allowed to succeed.

Moreover, I don't want the position. Which, sadly, probably means I'm leaps and bounds more suited for it than most...

~Alja~
Gordon Fearman
First Video: Three PS3s
Location: Time and space. Anything more specific tends to vary.

Postby Gordon Fearman » 09 Feb 2011, 13:06

Alja-Markir wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:I think the reason that I get so upset by this is because it's scarry. The interwebz is a very important part of my life. If they can use it to cut off sites, or steal identity, that's pretty terrifying. As an American, you want to get rid of all threats and things that scare you.

This. This is the problem with America.

RANT.

And this is apparently a problem that only Americans have?
"When I feel my friends have been conspiring against me, I break into their bedrooms and I write in their diaries."

(PM me if this pic is too big.)
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 09 Feb 2011, 13:13

Gordon Fearman wrote:
Alja-Markir wrote:
octopimpostor wrote:I think the reason that I get so upset by this is because it's scarry. The interwebz is a very important part of my life. If they can use it to cut off sites, or steal identity, that's pretty terrifying. As an American, you want to get rid of all threats and things that scare you.

This. This is the problem with America.

RANT.

And this is apparently a problem that only Americans have?

No, but it's a problem that is particularly visible in america.

-m

edit: also, if you purport yourself to be a net security firm, and you have neither the net-culture knowledge to understand the group you're investigating, nor the security chops to protect your own data, then you're a fraud. Plain and simple.

anon got the CEO's access by breaking into an email server, spoofing the CEO's address, and convincing a sysadmin to reset the password and provide them the new one.

really?

Like, REALLY?

I am not angry at you.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Feb 2011, 13:15

Well, we Brits have the Blitz mentality, if there's an explosion we wonder how this will disrupt us getting to work: "Well if I get off at Holbon I can catch the picadilliy line and..." Also, we make jokes all the time.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 09 Feb 2011, 13:34

Elomin Sha wrote:Alja for President anyone?

:roll:

King of the trolls, maybe.

Alja, I can appreciate your, shall we say, vigor on the subject, but maybe you should think twice before dropping a simple, blanket statement like "Americans are stupid". Just a thought.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Feb 2011, 14:36

King of the Trolls is LAVOS.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 09 Feb 2011, 14:46

Whelp, as long as dicks are being dicks to other dicks, then all the right people are getting fucked.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Feb 2011, 14:50

Yeah but not every are c*nts, some of them are just assholes.
JoshTheater
First Video: Desert Bus Killed The Internet Star

Postby JoshTheater » 09 Feb 2011, 14:50

Alja-Markir wrote:People are afraid of terrorism in America. Bull. Fucking. Shit. You are untold numbers of times more likely to die driving to the grocery store than you ever are to die in a terrorist attack. You are more likely to be struck by lightning, or to choke to death on a bagel.

Americans are stupid. They fear anything they feel they can't control, even when it's not at all statistically likely. People are afraid to fly in an airliner when it's the safest way to travel. People are afraid to let their kids play outside or speak to strangers when their own family members are unbelievably more likely to abduct or sexually abuse them. People get their panties in a twist over Anonymous when fucking Titan Reign is buying off senators and blackmailing MPs.

But no one realizes. They all point at the first thing that seems like it might possibly be a threat and then start screaming and wailing and damning it without having a single goddamn clue. We've got people afraid of homosexuals but who don't give a shit about the sex slave industry. We've got people convinced that Obama is trying to ruin healthcare when our own government is designing and selling chemical weapons that put sarin gas to shame. We've got people quaking in their boots over nuclear power plants while the global amount of weapons-grade Material Unaccounted For (MUF) skyrockets. We've got an entire country of paranoid idiots who can't see past the imagined boogeymen in their own backyards to the real dangers of the world, and who think that we can solve things through force instead of through humanity.

~Alja~

Thank you for describing the less-than-the-majority of Americans who control the conservative media and make us all Americans look exactly like you described, when in reality the majority of us are the opposite and despise this aspect of America as much as the rest of the world.
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 09 Feb 2011, 15:04

Humanity in general is hysterical.

Of course it's most dangerous for the poeple with the biggest guns to be hysterical.

If say, Belgium was hysterical, no-one would give a fuck.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 09 Feb 2011, 15:20

For those pedantic folks out there:

My rant was hyberbolic in nature. I should hope that would be obvious, and would be excused. You don't need to point out the fact that not every single American is, or is not, X.

*sings*

Though related to a peer,
I can hand, reef, and steer,
And ship a selvagee;
I am never known to quail
At the fury of a gale,
And I'm never, never sick at sea!

Chorus: What, never?

No, never!

Chorus: What, never?

...hardly ever!

Chorus: He's hardly ever sick at sea!

~Alja~
Ed.
First Video: Desert bus 3 (started at day 3)

Postby Ed. » 09 Feb 2011, 15:22

Elomin Sha wrote:Well, we Brits have the Blitz mentality, if there's an explosion we wonder how this will disrupt us getting to work: "Well if I get off at Holbon I can catch the picadilliy line and..." Also, we make jokes all the time.

This also tea.

Though alja's rant sums up the daily mails outlook very well.

I think the reason Britain and much of Europe is a bit harder to get hysterical is because genuinely terrible things are still in living memory.
Spoilers for your life.
The main character dies at the end.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 09 Feb 2011, 15:59

Ed. wrote:I think the reason Britain and much of Europe is a bit harder to get hysterical is because genuinely terrible things are still in living memory.

So much this.

Americans (in general, you pedants) do not understand war. It's been 150 years since there was fighting on home soil, since people saw their homes and their neighborhoods threatened by soldiers. Hell, the last time significant American holdings were bombed was Pearl Harbour.

American soldiers get their share of hell, but they fight far across oceans and for political agendas, rather than for their own defense. And that distance from war, that isolation from the horrors brought by it, is what drives the American war machine.

The American people cannot fathom enemy tanks trundling through their cities, enemies jets screaming over their homes, or enemy bombs sending them huddled, cold, and terrified into subway tunnels and dugout shelters. They cannot imagine the death of friends and acquaintances being a regular event. They can't picture in their minds the view from their street of an expanding cloud of napalm screaming down over them, the desperation of trying to escape from a burning city, the endless shocks and percussions of tons, literal tons of explosives pulverizing everything they land on top of, each new retort simultaneously cursed for happening and praised for landing two streets over and killing someone else instead of landing here.

Only those who understand nothing about war could ever advocate it.

~Alja~
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 09 Feb 2011, 16:17

Also with the Blitz, I came close to never existing. A doodle bug dropped a few doors down from where my Grandfather was living when he was a boy in Woodford Green. Even a minor change in speed or fuel efficiency and there would be no me.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 09 Feb 2011, 16:27

And yet there are those who forget, or who somehow never learned.

Even in places like Japan, a country struck in pure retaliation with the most horrific weaponry ever used, there is still a call to arms. A nation forced by unconditional surrender to dismantle and never rebuild their military, a people tragically driven to embrace pacifism after seeing firsthand the worst humanity had to offer, and there are still militant extremists there who cry out in xenophobia that the world can never be anything but cruel, and only those with the strength and the will to exploit others can avoid exploitation themselves.

For what it's worth, I'm torn - I'm glad your grandfather made it through to bring you to us, but at the same time which poor bastard did that bomb actually hit, and who else might be here today if it had never been dropped?

~Alja~
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 09 Feb 2011, 18:44

The American people cannot fathom enemy tanks trundling through their cities, enemies jets screaming over their homes, or enemy bombs sending them huddled, cold, and terrified into subway tunnels and dugout shelters. They cannot imagine the death of friends and acquaintances being a regular event. They can't picture in their minds the view from their street of an expanding cloud of napalm screaming down over them, the desperation of trying to escape from a burning city, the endless shocks and percussions of tons, literal tons of explosives pulverizing everything they land on top of, each new retort simultaneously cursed for happening and praised for landing two streets over and killing someone else instead of landing here.

Only those who understand nothing about war could ever advocate it.

The North Vietnamise experienced all of that and more. They (and not just the generals, but the society as a whole) were pretty fucking commited to taking South Vietnam.
Mowinckel
First Video: Bump in the night

Postby Mowinckel » 09 Feb 2011, 20:46

I don't think the Danish have anything awful happen to us in resent memory... but the reason we don.t get hysterical is that we are very easy going and love irony... when they burned our flag... half of us thought it was funny and begun burning our flags ourselves... then they drew our prime minister as a pig... then we drew him as in a dress... taking it from behind by bush...
the only way to offend a Dane is by calling them a Swedes
If I'm half-mad, then which do you think I consider my better half?
the_lone_bard
First Video: Black box...i think.

Postby the_lone_bard » 10 Feb 2011, 00:05

I'd just like to throw this out there.
I'm an aussie, And from what gets sent to the rest of the world via news everyone else probably thinks that we suffer the same stupidity of the average american.
It's true our news is a load of bullshit, choosing to dedicate 20minutes of a half hour broadcast to what shane warne is up to rather than spend more than a minute on the guy who went and killed four people.
Our government are scared little cowards, Not unlike a bunch of people on the internet, choosing to yell and scream at eachother behind closed doors but when confronted with the public suddenly go quiet and become submissive.
We may never get anything more important than a broken public transport "Improvment" (It was worse than it was previously.) but we don't suffer half as bad as others do.
For you see, Australians don't care, We don't care if it's the government or not, if they tell us to do something about twenty percent say "Yessir" the rest of us just say "We'll do it when we're damn ready and what are you gunna do about it."
The government can't do shit about it though, because they just can't enforce a law on the entire country. and i think the rest of the world is slowly learning this.
Look at egypt, They are rioting after years of bullshit finally standing up as a mass and saying "No, You shut the fuck up and listen now." and despite the government trying to subdue them, They just can't because short of massacring half the populace they just keep coming back.
America needs to learn this, They need to learn that the government can't stop the people from claiming what's is there's. The right to have a voice in what happens.
I admit to not understanding exactly how the american government works but here is what i do know.
The people elect a person to make decisions for them, That they trust to do the right thing. And that person has less say than anyone else, being more of a figurehead for the hundreds of others that make the actual choices.
The president promises to stop the war in iraq and gets elected because of that promise? Well too bad, as long as a dozen other people that the public doesn't even know exist say no, He can't do anything.
That needs to stop for america to take the first step to having a collective brain and know what the hell the world is really like. They are stuck in an eternal loop of stupidity and selfishness driven by the obsessed politicians who push there own agenda's rather than trying to help the country forward. The moment the president actually gets any real power is the moment anonymous looses alot of it's power. But conversly gives the power directly to the masses. The masses don't like what the president is doing? Well then they say so and if they go ahead anyway then the people tell them to get the fuck out. Then and only then could they get a decent president like Alja.

Just my opinion.

Oh right, Note, i am incredibly drunk so i reserve the right to deny ANY AND ALL LIABLILLT for what's in this post.
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/lone.bard
MsN: Thelonebard@live.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheLoneBard
Twitter: Thelonebard

I'm mean because you're stupid.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 10 Feb 2011, 00:17

I am not angry at you.
Elomin Sha

Postby Elomin Sha » 10 Feb 2011, 00:25

Also: look a Cuba, few countries get bullied more by the 'superpower'. They've just had Fibre Optic cables put in connecting them with Venezuela which breaches the US Trade Embargo.

EDIT:

Reading through Matt's link. I think this is the most thorough bit of reporting I've seen on Anonymous activity. Nicely done.
iamafish
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Postby iamafish » 10 Feb 2011, 01:45

@the_lone_bard

i assume your drunkenness also explains some of the rather imaginative grammar :P

interesting post though. The Aussie government is indeed filled with a load of two faced lies, lead by a literal puppet (seriously, you can see the strings if you squint)

Edit: That article is fantastic Matt. Thanks. I now understand exactly how ridiculous the whole affair was. Marr is a complete idiot.

This is why we can't have nice things people!
Thoughts From a Fish Bowl<------ my blog...

My Twitter

iamafish never wrote:the male trouser snake is evidence that evolution has no sense of aesthetics
EnglishMQ
First Video: The one where Paul was a crazy scientist

Postby EnglishMQ » 10 Feb 2011, 03:54

Anonymous are a bunch of pathetic jerks . I just ignore them and their stupid acts of glorified vandalism.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 10 Feb 2011, 04:43

Curious, considering their vandalism in this case has brought a lot of negative attention to a shady company that people previously had been ignoring - or had never noticed.

It turns out that among the data that Anonymous took from HBGary is some pretty damning evidence of a planned systematic attack on Wikileaks, including a disinformation campaign, sabotage, and (you guessed it!) malicious hacking.

Article at The Tech Herald.

~Alja~
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 10 Feb 2011, 05:19

the_lone_bard wrote:It's true our news is a load of bullshit, choosing to dedicate 20minutes of a half hour broadcast to what shane warne is up to rather than spend more than a minute on the guy who went and killed four people.

The problem with giving lots of time and attention to serial killers is it tends to make other people with similar mental problems go "Hold on.. so if I kill a bunch of people, I'll get my name in the headlines too?" .. although that's only if the killings are sensationalised.

I'm not saying deaths aren't worth reporting on, nor that they shouldn't get air time (and actually, if they were covered in a more measured, thoughtful way I'd have no problem). The problem is with journalistic and news presentation styles in mainstream western media right now.

Return to “General Discussion”