Height

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Height

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 23 Apr 2011, 15:32

So I'm 6'5", which is pretty damn tall. Not anything compared to Bill, but I'm pretty sure I'm the tallest person I know personally. And this physical attribute draws a lot of attention. This attention can get veeeeeeeery repetitive and annoying. There are people who think the only thing I ever want to talk about is my height. Kids in the corridor at school comment loudly on it to their friends.

I've tried every reply there is to 'Wow, you're tall', 'How does it feel to be so tall?', etc. I haven't started getting openly rude to people, but I've tried to make it clear that I don't like talking about it, seeing as I've heard everything there is to say. But still, some people just can't seem to get over how tall I am.

What do I doooo? How do you guys successfully deal with height-related coversation?
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Re: Height

Postby Elomin Sha » 23 Apr 2011, 15:34

Ollie, don'tcha know! wrote:What do I doooo? How do you guys successfully deal with height-related coversation?

I usually get on a step ladder or kick stool to look down on someone or if they're not around I lie on the floor and pretend I'm an ant. Provides some useful conversational pieces. Just never do it when girls wearing skirts are around, it's safer.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 23 Apr 2011, 15:34

I always wanted to be a tall, willowy, elfin sort when I was older. (Hah, and now my stepsis is playing LotR music. Nice timing.) Unfortunately I'm a solid 5'4"-5'5". :/ So I can't really help. Sorry.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 23 Apr 2011, 15:35

By starting them, because I'm short!
Hurp-De-Durp!
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 23 Apr 2011, 15:46

I can't help you because I reply to things sarcastically ;)

I'm 5'3 so I commonly get short comments, but I don't mind. It's the skin colour comments to me that are offputing. Apparently how pale I am draws a LOT of attention and I get questioned/commented regularily. I willpost some hilarity that has ensued later on,as I am outthe door for saturday night.

In conclusion: "how does it feel to be so tall?"
"fucking FANTASTIC, thank you" ;) **jokes**
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 23 Apr 2011, 15:54

I used to be much taller than everyone my age from about .. hm .. 6 or 7 to probably 17. I mostly ignored the comments, but then I was pretty anti-social and didn't put myself in too many situations where I would get comments.

I dunno, man. If it bothers you, ask that people stop. If they don't, ignore them. If that doesn't work, leave. Just remember; school only goes on for so long, and then you're free. Probably. More or less... I'm just trying to be realistic, here. Image
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Apr 2011, 15:56

I'm about 6'3 or so, so I've certainly gotten a lot of height comments in the past. Once you get out of school, you'll likely start getting fewer comments (or maybe I've just gotten better at ignoring them), as people get established in their final heights and it loses it's novelty. There will always be comments when there's a more extreme difference in height, but it's just one of those things that will always be there in life.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 23 Apr 2011, 15:56

If you're feeling self-conscious, you could dig trenches everywhere you go. Or you could go the other way, and carry an apple box with you for the intimidation factor.

When faced with tall people, I prefer to ask about any other 'large' measurements they have. This, perversely, also works great with midgets and other sundry short people for reasons I really can't (don't want to?) fathom.

At roughly 5'8", I'm just slightly under average height. You'd think based on that, I'd blend in height wise. Wrong. Being of Chinese descent, I tower over my relatives and many other Oriental people in a manner uncannily similar to the OP. Very odd.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
Theremin
First Video: A girl must have some secrets.

Postby Theremin » 23 Apr 2011, 16:09

I wish I could help, but I've never had to be insecure about my appearance as I have the body of an Adonis.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 23 Apr 2011, 16:09

Master Gunner wrote:I'm about 6'3 or so, so I've certainly gotten a lot of height comments in the past. Once you get out of school, you'll likely start getting fewer comments (or maybe I've just gotten better at ignoring them), as people get established in their final heights and it loses it's novelty. There will always be comments when there's a more extreme difference in height, but it's just one of those things that will always be there in life.

What he said, though I'm only about 6 feet.

Also don't date someone 5'2".

Otherwise

And people only comment on how different in height we are.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 23 Apr 2011, 16:10

YOU TWO ARE ADORABLE~!
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Apr 2011, 16:11

Eh. You're not at Paul's level.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 23 Apr 2011, 16:12

Getting a picture off facebook IS SUDDENLY HELL!

Also, I think you too are missing the point.
Danzama
First Video: Wireless

Postby Danzama » 23 Apr 2011, 16:17

I'm 5”3" and I get loads of short comments, I just take it on the chin.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 23 Apr 2011, 16:17

I dunno. Judging by that photo, I reckon people'd be too interested in those fine, fine Mokona plushies to comment on the height difference.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 23 Apr 2011, 16:17

Eh. I dunno.. I don't think "Oh hey, he's much taller than her! How odd! I simply must comment on this fact; clearly, such a contribution would be invaluable to them!", I just think "Oh hey, cool. It's Dreamer and AubergineQueen, they look like a cute, happy couple. Nice".

Aaaaand since this is a posted discussion on a computer instead of a verbal one, I feel ok saying that instead of keeping it to myself.

>.>
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 23 Apr 2011, 16:17

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:I can't help you because I reply to things sarcastically ;)

I'm 5'3 so I commonly get short comments, but I don't mind. It's the skin colour comments to me that are offputing. Apparently how pale I am draws a LOT of attention and I get questioned/commented regularily. I willpost some hilarity that has ensued later on,as I am outthe door for saturday night.

In conclusion: "how does it feel to be so tall?"
"fucking FANTASTIC, thank you" ;) **jokes**

I get the same type of comments about me being pale. Thus why I was overjoyed when, finally one of my old classmates informed me that she actually found my black hair in contrast to my pale skin looked cool! I like being pale, always liked being pale. FIGHT THE COMMENTS I SAY! FIGHT 'EM WITH PITCH FORKS AND FIREEE!

Ahem, seriously though. I think Jester gave some great advice. Ask them to stop, or try replying jokingly ... or you could always reply with something extremely akward so that no one will dare comment on your height anymore(Joking!). Ask them to stop, ignore them if they don't, and walk away from them if they keep asking anyway. That's the best you can do really, especially if you've tried every response short of slammin them head-first into the nearest locker.
Hurp-De-Durp!
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 23 Apr 2011, 16:19

Now I'm suddenly grateful my last girlfriend was exactly my height (170cm).

And I never bang me head.

Being short ain't bad. :D

You could always ask an equally dumb question back "Great, how is the air down there?" or something in that direction, to push them towards realizing that it is not the best thing to ask.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
Deedles

Postby Deedles » 23 Apr 2011, 16:23

theDreamer wrote:Image

To be honest, you look like a lovely couple, but I can't help looking at the guy who's to the right (our right) of Aubergine and imagine what he'd look like in some viking armour ....
Hurp-De-Durp!
The Jester

Postby The Jester » 23 Apr 2011, 16:23

I do sometimes get comments about how pale I am. I just reply with something convoluted and excessively verbose about how I hate and shun sunlight, for it would melt and destroy me utterly.

You could try something like that, Ollie; come up with something ridiculous and bitingly sarcastic about how you consciously decided to grow larger, in defiance of your genetic structure which would have had you at about 5'1", because you hate and fear the ground. You know, make it clear that whoever's saying "Gosh, you're tall" is just being incredibly dull and repetitive, and isn't contributing anything worth hearing. Image
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 23 Apr 2011, 16:25

I do the same.

I'm not "pale" in the way hot gothic chicks are pale. I'm just SUPER white.

So yeah.

Also, I agree Deedles. He is such an awesome photobomb.
Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Apr 2011, 16:27

Pale is win. Not that I don't love me some melanin, but pale skin has always had a special attraction for me.
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 23 Apr 2011, 16:29

I'd be pale, except that I keep going out, getting sunburned, and having that turn into a tan.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Deedles

Postby Deedles » 23 Apr 2011, 16:30

Fayili wrote:I'd be pale, except that I keep going out, getting sunburned, and having that turn into a tan.

... There's an outside?
Hurp-De-Durp!
JustAName

Postby JustAName » 23 Apr 2011, 16:32

It's the warm place with the dancing and the running around in the park with costumes being a virus in a VR fantasy world.

Return to “General Discussion”