Height

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
gcninja

Re: Height

Postby gcninja » 24 Apr 2011, 01:31

hahah. This is funny cuz JUST tonight I noticed how short the wife is. I've known her for 10 months but jsut tonight, I notice shes under my shoulder wich puts her about 5/ 4'11''. So its a bit worse than you dreamer.
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
Deedles
First Video: Man Cooking

Postby Deedles » 24 Apr 2011, 01:45

auberginequeen wrote:
Deedles wrote:
theDreamer wrote:image

To be honest, you look like a lovely couple, but I can't help looking at the guy who's to the right (our right) of Aubergine and imagine what he'd look like in some viking armour ....

If that isn't a cue for bad photoshop, I don't know what is.

ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on viking armour, despite being an expert at photoshop, so to all you viking history buffs who are no doubt crying by now... I'm sorry.

The prophecy! It is true! He shall be the vikings to end all other vikings! ... It's BEAUTIFUL! ;____;
Hurp-De-Durp!
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Apr 2011, 01:49

I am 1.85 metres tall making me slightly above average for a male. I do not think of myself as tall. However I grew a bit earlier than most of my classmates so at about 13 or 14 I was the tallest in my class. By the end of high school I had several friends who where five or more centimetres taller.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 24 Apr 2011, 05:21

Everyone in this thread is either above average height or below average, haha. Reminds me of the old joke that most people have an above average number of legs.

ANYWAY.

Tall people are cool. I envy tall people sometimes. I'm 5'10", exactly average height for 20-29 year olds. But yeah, people make terrible smalltalk, so they'll usually latch on to whatever obvious thing they can talk about. Height is one. Dreamer brought up the perfect quote:

theDreamer wrote:And now is an apt time for:

One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continually stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you alright? At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behaviour. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up. After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favour of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working. After a while he abandoned this one as well as being obstructively cynical.
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 24 Apr 2011, 05:31

OT re: Ollie's annoyance, I had another idea to put people off being dumb. He could tally up every time he's been called tall, and then inform people exactly what number they are, to show just how unoriginal they're being.

But perhaps that would be too much work.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 24 Apr 2011, 05:47

AlexanderDitto wrote:Everyone in this thread is either above average height or below average, haha. Reminds me of the old joke that most people have an above average number of legs.

ANYWAY.

Tall people are cool. I envy tall people sometimes. I'm 5'10", exactly average height for 20-29 year olds.

Heights are drawn from a continuous distribution so it is not surprising that few people's heights are almost the mean. The number of legs a people have however are drawn from a discrete distribution which usually does not have the mean equal the mode.

I am a bit surprised that I am the only person to quote their height in metric.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 24 Apr 2011, 06:21

Heightis pretty much the only thing I use imperial for. In metric I think I'm around 191-194cm or something.

It's like Cracked said the other day. With the imperial system, there are milestones that everyone knows. ~6' is the boundry for where people start being 'tall', and ~5'5" or below is 'short' (for an adult).
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
8bitmaster
First Video: Forget about it

Postby 8bitmaster » 24 Apr 2011, 07:00

well i'l around 5'11 6'0 and I am taller than a majority of my friends and no one says anything about my height so I don't know what to say to you there

although being one of the tallest in my group of friends is quite entertaining.
Doing whatever, whenever, whoever.
PSN: themanwithaname
Steam: demonboy100
Twitter: @8bitmaster
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/8bitmaster
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 24 Apr 2011, 07:58

As mentioned previously I am 5'2", the shortest person in my family (including extended) all the way back to my grandparents. I was an average height in the 7th grade but then everyone else got taller and I just stayed the same. Sometimes I hypothesize that the reason I look almost exactly the same as I did in middle school is because I am no longer aging. (If only)

People tend to pat me on the head and be like "oh Danni, you are so short," or they think I'm adorably miniature or something. When I was 15 Dreamer's sister was like "lol I'm 12 and taller than you!" I take it in stride, because if/when some sort of disaster occurs, I have more places to hide than they do.

Though I've ranted before about my inability to find suitably sized pants here. I can always find them in the states, but not here, noooo. Apparently all Canadian women are at least 5'7".
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 24 Apr 2011, 08:08

Ditto: I like the joke about how Jewish Holidays, following another calendar, are always either early or late, despite happening on the same date every year.

Chrusher: ...I seriously don't get metric for height. Or weight. I blame my american upbringing.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 24 Apr 2011, 09:20

I'm 4'7", when people make a crack about it I chop them off at the knees with a machete.
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 24 Apr 2011, 17:33

Tally wrote:In all seriousness, I've had some experience with people saying the same uninteresting thing to me upon meeting me and learning about me (usually it's some tired, clichéd Wizard of Oz reference, upon learning where I grew up)...

If any of those people are from Australia, you can throw it back at them.

I'm 5'10", so I'm one of the taller people in my house and at my store. I still need a step stool for certain things, but most of the shelves I can reach with my tiptoes.
gcninja

Postby gcninja » 24 Apr 2011, 17:42

I know the feeling tak. most everybody save a few at work ask me to reach for stuff. I feel awesome. Specially when the people I work with are about 5-5'6'' (152-167cm for you metric ppl)
see here
EJ wrote:Lyinginbedmon, I'm looking forward to when Paul or Graham reset your & Elomin's post count back to zero. If you keep it up it's bound to happen =p

Noblesse Oblige
Buksvager!
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 24 Apr 2011, 18:54

I'm 6"1'-ish and I usually flaunt my tallness around friends just because they're shorter than me and I can reach stuff on shelfs easier than they can. Of course, it works the other way if we go somewhere with low overhangs and I bang my head on stuff.

For a while a female friend used me and my hight to keep people from dating her, she was about 5"3'. Didn't even tell me she was doing that until a few months went by.
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Postby AlexanderDitto » 24 Apr 2011, 19:07

Lord Chrusher wrote:
AlexanderDitto wrote:Everyone in this thread is either above average height or below average, haha. Reminds me of the old joke that most people have an above average number of legs.

ANYWAY.

Tall people are cool. I envy tall people sometimes. I'm 5'10", exactly average height for 20-29 year olds.

Heights are drawn from a continuous distribution so it is not surprising that few people's heights are almost the mean. The number of legs a people have however are drawn from a discrete distribution which usually does not have the mean equal the mode.

I am a bit surprised that I am the only person to quote their height in metric.

I think it's more the fact that number of legs is drawn from an extremely skewed distribution, for which means do a terrible job of indicating central tendency, and median would be a wiser choice.

I do wonder what the standard deviation for heights is... apparently it's not as tight as I thought. I'd have expected at least 20 to 30% of people to be within an inch of the mean.

But I'm guessing no one wants to be average height anyway, and it's all relative to the people you're around...

---

I will point out to all tall people feeling bad about their height that height is significantly related with social esteem , leader emergence, and performance, and positively related to income.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 24 Apr 2011, 22:33

I'm 173cm (~5'8") which is tallish for a girl but not especially tall for a person. I've only really noticed my height when I was in an environment where the average height was much lower so in all the photos I look like a giant.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 25 Apr 2011, 05:49

6'-0 1/2"
zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Mowinckel
First Video: Bump in the night

Postby Mowinckel » 25 Apr 2011, 06:17

(this is now the how high are you threat!)

I'm 196cm

also I have a read beard, shoulder long hair and go to Viking markets (sort of a Nordic renaissance fair) so I have bin in full ring-mail and helmet with a shield and a sword, and just to finsh of I don't mind cold... like walking in t shirt until there is ice on the lakes.
Other Vikings don't have shit on me!
If I'm half-mad, then which do you think I consider my better half?
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 Apr 2011, 07:02

5'10 1/2"
179cm
1 eLOLmin
0.88 Bill 'Fatty' Watts
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 25 Apr 2011, 16:03

I'm 5'6'', which, last I checked, is average for a girl. I'm cool with my height, generally... until I'm around my friends. Then I feel like a midget (they're all 6'2''-ish, with one friend grazing the stratosphere at 6'6'')
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 25 Apr 2011, 16:13

However, you're also the Goddamn Batman.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Elomin Sha
First Video: Max Effect

Postby Elomin Sha » 25 Apr 2011, 16:16

Master Gunner wrote:However, you're also the Goddamn Batman.

1/3 of the God Damn Batman.
The most unique, nicest, and confusing individual you will get to know. Don't be stupid around me, that's my job.
https://displate.com/elominsha/galleries
If you need art, I take commissions, PM me.
2stepz
First Video: .

Postby 2stepz » 25 Apr 2011, 16:17

Mom: 5'3 1/2"
Me: 5'7-8ish
Brother: 6'3"
Dad: 6'8"

Also, just for shits and giggles - my ex: 6'10" Decided he wanted to meet my father so he could call him short.
Misty
The Goddamn Batman
First Video: Suspend Your Disbelief

Postby Misty » 25 Apr 2011, 16:20

Elomin Sha wrote:
Master Gunner wrote:However, you're also the Goddamn Batman.

1/3 of the God Damn Batman.

Which explains my height (the two of my friends who share the title are 6'4" & 6'6")
Rikadyn
First Video: the pub

Postby Rikadyn » 25 Apr 2011, 19:26

I'm in a good mood, so here is a pic of me with some normal height friends last summer:
the heart knows no greater tragedy than a breath that begins in love and ends in grief...

Return to “General Discussion”