the "nerd rage" thread

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Re: the "nerd rage" thread

Postby theDreamer » 23 Apr 2011, 06:13

...By putting TF2 into Portal 2?

I mean, TF2 was bleeding successful with their "buy hats!" thing.

Good marketing says do it for every multiplayer game.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Kag

Postby Kag » 23 Apr 2011, 06:27

It literally does not matter what Valve does. People will complain about it.
Lisra
First Video: Commodore Hustle 4

Postby Lisra » 23 Apr 2011, 06:56

The LRR crew claimed in the last podcast that TAMAHER and Wee Free Men aren't Discworld books. This is not true and makes me nerdrage.
Adulthood can go fuck itself.
I'm not a girl. (:
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 23 Apr 2011, 08:42

After they said Wee Free Men, Graham did say they were Discworld; just not the main series. I think that's what they're going with.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

Lisra

Postby Lisra » 23 Apr 2011, 09:40

Now.

What is the Discworld "main series" then?

And since the Wee Free Men is the first volume of 4 novels, it is considerably more main than, say, Small Gods.
I'm not a girl. (:
Master Gunner
Defending us from The Dutch!
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby Master Gunner » 23 Apr 2011, 09:56

My copy of Jingo has Wee Free Men marked as "For Younger Readers". As I have yet to read/own Wee Free Men, no idea what that means.
TheRocket wrote:Apparently the crotch area could not contain the badonkadonk area.
Twitter | Click here to join the Desert Bus Community Chat.
Lisra

Postby Lisra » 23 Apr 2011, 09:59

Basically nothing.

There is a *slight* shift in tone, but especially as the series progresses it doesn't shy away from the darker, more mature subjects Pratchett likes to explore in his own style.

"Nation" is not Discworld, but in my eyes, one of the best children's books I have ever read.
I'm not a girl. (:
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 23 Apr 2011, 14:26

The Tiffany Aching books have been kept mostly separate from the main series, at least to start with. While technically being the next stage in the Witches storyline, it still mostly has new characters and only brings in the older witches very occasionally. And yeah, the themes were originally much lighter in tone, at least until the most recent book (which is one of the DARKEST Discworld books. Seriously, it has domestic abuse resulting in a miscarriage, followed by a lynch mob and attempted suicide). But yeah, there's definitely a different feel, if only because there are chapters.

Also, Nation was amazing and I need to read it again.

Also also, they need to hurry up and cure Alzheimers.
Lisra

Postby Lisra » 23 Apr 2011, 14:33

The Lipwig books also have chapters.

And I agree, I Shall Wear Midnight has kicked Monstrous Regiment easily off the throne of the darkest Discworld book.

Yknow, for kids!
I'm not a girl. (:
elvor
First Video: It's Very Simple

Postby elvor » 23 Apr 2011, 14:37

The Lipwig books are again a bit of their own beast, and the chapters are pretty much a stylistic choice, but they definitely fit in with the main series more than the Aching books.
SPACExJUMPxJOSH
First Video: loading ready rap

Postby SPACExJUMPxJOSH » 23 Apr 2011, 16:56

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

waiting for caledor to get relaesed 1 more month ¬_¬ must read.... need my literature fix...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I AM LRR! RULER OF THE PLANET OMACRON PERCEI 8!
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 23 Apr 2011, 23:44

theDreamer wrote:...By putting TF2 into Portal 2?

I mean, TF2 was bleeding successful with their "buy hats!" thing.

Good marketing says do it for every multiplayer game.

From what I can see, a bunch of people are angry that the hats weren't free, made as unlockables. I do comprehend those who dislike the weapons in TF2; there's a coherent point there about how it genuinely changed the game. But when you have EA doing much, much worse things with Day 1 DLC, really, Portal 2 is not the place to draw the line.

I just wish trading was up. I wish to give my fiancée a beret. Is this so wrong?
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 24 Apr 2011, 00:48

Trading IS available in TF2. Has been for awhile.

~Alja~
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 24 Apr 2011, 05:20

Alan Moore is purported to be a genius writer, but I find his work to be spotty at best. Perhaps I was spoiled by later, better works.. or just better ones - such as Sandman - but I've only ever thought Watchmen was good, not great. Frank Miller's Dark Knight, likewise, probably spoiled me.

Anyway, I'm not here to debate his triumphs; what I perceive as his failures are what my rant here will concern. Particularly Tom Strong, published by ABC (America's Best Comics, something I consider rather a misnomer).

I understand the series is probably supposed to be a parody of pulp action comics, but the things it parodies tend to be rather better, imo. At any rate, the way that Tom Strong uses science narratively seems to be rather more sneering than the pulps it imitates. I'm not trying to defend the scientific integrity of stories largely written for shock-value, but they do seem.. indefinably more authentic. In any case, I appear to have gotten rather off-track.

My rant this time is based on one story in particular, where the title hero Tom Strong visits the moon and encounters some humanoid moth people living in what appears to be a honeycomb of caves in the moon's interior. They also appear to be able to fly whilst outside on the moon's surface.

WHAT THE FUCK, ALAN MOORE!? COULD YOU PLEASE NOT INSULT ME AS A READER?

1) The moon has no atmosphere whatsoever, let alone a breathable one. Even if it did (which it can't), flight would be highly inadvisable because of how easy it would be to accidentally catapult yourself into space. You expect me to believe a species of moth-human was capable of evolving or adapting to life here? Fuck off.
2) What the fuck do these moon people eat? There doesn't appear to be any food growing anywhere, even assuming it could. What, are we to believe the moth people eat their own dead? And that somehow they are capable of getting more energy from this consumption than their predecessors apparently had? THAT'S NOT HOW THE LAWS OF ENERGY WORK, IMBECILE.
Do they perhaps, instead, subsist on solar radiation/energy, like plants? THEY WOULD STILL NEED AN ATMOSPHERE AND GASSES TO ALLOW FOR PHOTOSYNTHESIS. Plus, are we to believe that the presence of literally hundreds of thousands of human-sized moth people spread out on the moon's surface to "feed" would NOT attract even a LITTLE attention from the scientists and observers of Earth?
3) Apparently there's light underground in the caves mentioned in my outline of the premise? And the principal of the story, Mr. Strong, is able to breath here without a space-suit? MORE AIR UNDERGROUND, IN AN ENVIRONMENT WITH THINGS BEING BURNT FOR LIGHT, MAKES NO SENSE. IT IS LITERALLY NONSENSE. What, oxygen is so heavy that it sinks in the atmosphere the moon DOESN'T HAVE to become naturally, proportionally more present the deeper into the moon you go, such that you don't need any kind of sealing system on the cave entrances to stop it escaping? CAVES WHICH APPARENTLY GO EVERYWHERE ON THE MOON'S SURFACE?
4) These moon-moth-people apparently have 24 hour~ish life spans? HOW DO THEY HAVE AN ORGANISED CASTE SYSTEM WITH A "RULING" CLASS/FAMILY, AND KNOWLEDGE OF TOOLS AND FIRE? HOW ARE WE TO BELIEVE THAT THEY EVOLVED LIKE THIS?
5) Having been sexually assaulted by the leader of the moth-people, while in an oxygen deprived state of unconsciousness, the main character Tom then SOMEHOW passes on the symbol he wears on his tee shirt by way of a superhero logo (a rather uninspired one at that, consisting in it's entirety of a simple, white, inverted triangle) to the progeny of this union GENETICALLY? WHAT THE FUCK!? WHY CAN A SPECIES OF HUMANOID, MOON EVOLVED MOTH PEOPLE PROCREATE WITH HUMANS? YOU DO REALISE THAT GENETICS WORKS NOTHING LIKE THAT, RIGHT? PLEASE DON'T INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE ANY MORE, MR. MOORE, YOU FUCKER.

I suppose it could conceivably be argued that the story is simply an exercise in parodying the way pulp action heroes get a lot of tail, even when they're unconscious, but is this really a story worth telling? A "science hero" visits the moon with no real reason, gets picked - literally plucked from the surface of the moon - up by a pair of flying, spear wielding moth people and taken to the moon-moth queen. He is then deprived of his space-suit, but instead of killing him this simply renders him unconscious. He is then apparently sexed up by this moth queen, and rescued by his daughter (also present on the moon with no real explanation). On their way out they notice a moth woman with a natural marking on her chest that corresponds with the symbol Tom himself wears. Then they go home.

That is literally all that happens.

HOW WAS THAT A WORTHWHILE AND MEANINGFUL STORY, AND NOT A WASTE OF THE EIGHT OR SO PAGES AND FUCK KNOWS HOW MANY HOURS OF PEOPLE'S, INCLUDING THE ARTIST WHO DREW IT'S, LIVES?
FUCK OFF, ALAN MOORE. A GENIUS YOU ARE NOT.
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 24 Apr 2011, 13:19

Alja-Markir wrote:Trading IS available in TF2. Has been for awhile.

But not yet in Portal 2.
Bananafish

Postby Bananafish » 24 Apr 2011, 13:48

lmao
Jillers
First Video: How to Talk LIke a Pirate

Postby Jillers » 24 Apr 2011, 15:23

You know what pisses me off? When nerds complain about things and can't just let it go for the sake of storytelling.
NERDS
Team Cybershark

[subliminal] visit Geeking Out About [/subliminal]

~End Transmission~
The Jester
First Video: The Truce

Postby The Jester » 24 Apr 2011, 16:49

Was that directed at me? :P
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 25 Apr 2011, 18:33

Why am I making a Derpy Hooves toy? This isn't worth the annoyance of having to look up ways to dye the mane and tail blonde and finding out that possibly I can't dye them because it's impossible to dye dark colors. I don't want to buy doll hair since I'll have to take the toy apart to put it in.

Bah, the things I do for a joke.
Wraith
First Video: Canadian Approval Board

Postby Wraith » 26 Apr 2011, 08:54

Stop making TV shows and then canceling them without allowing the creators to resolve plot-lines. That is a freaking slap in the face to your viewers. You convince us to watch something, get us interested, and then pull it away, and it is BULL SHIT! Harsh Realm, Dungeons & Dragons, Land of the Lost twice. When you pull this shit, it makes me wonder, why should I watch your next show? You tell me “this is going to be a phenomenon! You’ll love this!” Yea, and then what? You’re going to take it away again? FUCK YOU!
-Wraith

Return to “General Discussion”