Canadian Federal Election 2011

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

I'm voting for...

Undecided
8%
Conservative Party of Canada
6%
Liberal Party of Canada
12%
Bloc Québécois
4%
New Democratic Party
27%
Green Party of Canada
No votes
Rhinoceros Party
2%
I can't vote in Canada (too young/incarcerated/Australian)
42%

Total votes: 52
AlexanderDitto
Better Than the First Alexander
First Video: Desert Bus 1: The Original!

Re: Canadian Federal Election 2011

Postby AlexanderDitto » 02 May 2011, 20:22

aeric90 wrote:Quick two cents... the polls during the campaign show that people who voted conservative did not vote for Harper. Opinion polls on him in general were very low. People generally vote conservative for their riding candidates or in this case, simply did not want to vote Liberal. I know I don't agree with their social policies but they did manage to get us through the worst economic crisis since the great depression as one of the strongest economies in the world.

Second... no average Canadian has any clue what the fuck 'contempt of Parliament' means. Trying to explain it to them would have been counter productive. Layton knew this and ran a totally different campaign. Ignatief didn't. Also contempt of Parliament even on a political scale means nothing. It gives to opposition the right to do two things, censure and vote non-confidence and leave it in the hands of the people. They did that.

Incidentally I did not vote conservative, I'm just trying to be objective.

Every time I think I understand Canadian politics (or English Politics or Japanese Politics, for that matter) something comes and kicks me in the face and I realize I know nothing.

So, given that Harper's polls are in the shitter, would the Cons put Harper in charge again? How does PM get selected? It's chosen by the representatives together, right? Could a different Con be better than Harper? Isn't there a cabinet or something? Do they all get changed too?

And, really? People don't know what contempt of Parliament means?! Augh Canada you are supposed to be smart and hip and beautiful and in the know! I look up to you as America's non-stupid cool older brother!

What's the breakdown for party based on age bracket? Why don't people want to vote Liberal? And, I know Cons aren't as socially conservative as the GOP in the United States... but how socially conservative are they?
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 02 May 2011, 20:29

...Harper refused to get dragged back into an Abortion Debate.

And since we're talking an abortion debate, and he's the conservative leader, guess which side they're on for that.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 02 May 2011, 20:32

Socially? Eh. They're all for status quo on that front. Won't repeal gay marriage, but won't strengthen it either. Have tried to weaken gun registry laws several times. But nothing TOO bad, I suppose. They're more the economically conservative end of things (and Canadian conservative, at that).
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 02 May 2011, 20:40

Replies to Ditto:

- So, given that Harper's polls are in the shitter, would the Cons put Harper in charge again?

I think he will be the leader for quite a while yet. He basically rebuilt the Conservative party after it collapsed so they won't be throwing him out.

- How does PM get selected? It's chosen by the representatives together, right?

The parties have leadership conventions at intervals to elect a leader for the party. It's elected by all the members of the conservative party, not just the MPs, I believe.

- Could a different Con be better than Harper?

Maybe from some perspectives, but as I said, I don't think he's going anywhere soon.

- Isn't there a cabinet or something? Do they all get changed too?

There is a cabinet, and they will probably be shuffled around nw since there are new people and some old ones gone. So there will be a new cabinet when the government resumes.

I won't answer the more opinionated questions though.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Postby sdhonda » 02 May 2011, 20:51

theDreamer wrote:...Harper refused to get dragged back into an Abortion Debate.

And since we're talking an abortion debate, and he's the conservative leader, guess which side they're on for that.

Ya, I mean, they all vehemently hate abortion right? So they'll like, totally ban it all. I mean, why would they NOT do that, if they all hate it so much?
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 02 May 2011, 20:52

*sigh*

I really don't understand how people can give Harper a majority, and yes it is Harper with a majority, not the conservatives, the way he runs things.
Tapir12
First Video: Kei Kon 2004

Postby Tapir12 » 02 May 2011, 20:58

So, for the first time in Canadian history I can say that my new MP is GREEN. I am very curious how this will play out and what May will be able to accomplish as the lone Green in Parliament.

I was really surprised at the majority result. I thought we would have a minority again. I guess Canadians wanted anything but more of the same. We couldn't have ended up with anything much more different than we got.

I thought the Libs would go down, but this much is shocking. I don't think the Liberals are dead though. Just like the Conservatives came back from the dead, I think the Liberals will survive. This will be a big lesson to them. They didn't offer Canadians anything but negativity about Harper. Let them come back when they have something real to show us.

And the Bloc. Wow. I am glad to see them dying. The fact that the bloc even exists has always been an enigma.
Things I like and maybe you will too:
AIESEC | Monster | Juuni Kokki | Vienna Teng | Guide To Canada
Gollom
First Video: Gay Chicken

Postby Gollom » 02 May 2011, 21:01

Eh, it sucks but it'll be very interesting. In same ways, a majority will be harder to control than a minority is. Conservative isn't Conservative across the country after all. The CPC has always been an uneasy coalition...sorry, an uneasy alliance between two similar but divergent parties. And now Harper has to carefully balance the demands of Ontario Conservatives with those of his core back in Alberta.
Tally
First Video: 1337 rap

Postby Tally » 02 May 2011, 21:14

Drunk. Angry. Tearful. Horrified. Argh.

Gollom wrote:Eh, it sucks but it'll be very interesting.

Pretty sure "May you live in interesting times" was a curse...
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 02 May 2011, 21:15

It was.
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 02 May 2011, 21:22

I'm trying to stay positive.

At least until I can get to the LCBO.
Littleman 64
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Littleman 64 » 02 May 2011, 22:13

First time being able to vote, and this is what happens. All I hope is that they have learned from Pinkie Pie that, "You gotta shaaaaaaaaare, you gotta caaaaaaaaaare. It's the right thing to dooooooooooooo!"
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 02 May 2011, 22:59

see that's the biggest problem with the current right, there is no space for different ideas, pretty much everything is squashed under the crown of harper.

at least they'll probably break up again in 10 years or so.
Lord Chrusher
Can't Drink Possible Beers
First Video: Door to Door

Postby Lord Chrusher » 03 May 2011, 01:28

I do not think the Conservatives are going to do anything too outrageous. They want to be reelected remember.

Unfortunately I think the days are number on Canada's lax treatment of copyright law. Expect the Conservatives to bring in their own version of Digital Millennium Copyright Act as part of their crime omnibus bill.
We are all made of star dust. However we are also made of nuclear waste.
Remember to think before you post.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 03 May 2011, 04:17

And as someone whose employment direct employment rests on political policy, I'm worried. Research funding has been getting tighter and tighter, and Im sure that'll only increase.

Well Harper gets what he always wanted, a majority. It will be interesting to see what he'll do with it.
cathou
First Video: the first one on the escapist

Postby cathou » 03 May 2011, 05:59

honestly, i dont know what to think. I didnt expect the Bloc to do a spectacular failure like they did, but the general feeling in Quebec was : hey, we voted for the bloc for 20 years, let's try someone else.

But if the NPD cannot deliver, the orange wave will be obelirated in 4 years. Let's face it, now the NPD have more than half of it's seat in Quebec, and some or their candidate are... let's say they might have a rough time.

I'm thinking of Ruth Helen Brosseau, in Maskinongé (it's between Montreal and Québec city. She live in ottawa, she didnt told her boss she was a candidate. She went on vacation in the middle of the campain, she didnt even put her feet in her riding in the whole campain. They didnt put any publicity. She cannot held a simple conversation en french, one of the local radio station try to interview her, but her french was so bad that they didnt put her on the air because nobody was able to understand her. Let's just point out that she's in a 97.7% unilingual french riding, so she will need a translator to talk to the people in her own riding, that she probably cannot even found on a map... There's other exemples,

i'm watching comments on the net today saying that with the bloc defeated, the separatism is dead. But the bloc role was never to held a referendum, and the PQ in Quebec, is most likely to be the next provincial government, and that might be bad for canada especially if Harper try to force too many thing on us.

for myself i'm ready to give layton and harper a chance, but a very small one...
Souris la vie est un fromage
epocalypse
First Video: omnilingual (not including unskippable)
Location: the county of los angeles, the city of los angeles, whichever state los angeles is in.

Postby epocalypse » 03 May 2011, 06:20

Gollom wrote:Eh, it sucks but it'll be very interesting. In same ways, a majority will be harder to control than a minority is. Conservative isn't Conservative across the country after all. The CPC has always been an uneasy coalition...sorry, an uneasy alliance between two similar but divergent parties. And now Harper has to carefully balance the demands of Ontario Conservatives with those of his core back in Alberta.

... you do live in an interesting land. Your conservatives don't try to unite as an extreme hammer of what they picture justice to be to be while trying to force through philosophically incompatible economic and social policy?
Time flies when I launch grandfather clocks from my trebuchet.
Arius wrote:Epocalypse? More like Epicalypse, amirite? -Arius
and now, here's a link to new animated film, broken_test_zero's blog, and here'sa link to our facebook page.
my personal site
Gollom

Postby Gollom » 03 May 2011, 07:28

epocalypse wrote:
Gollom wrote:Eh, it sucks but it'll be very interesting. In same ways, a majority will be harder to control than a minority is. Conservative isn't Conservative across the country after all. The CPC has always been an uneasy coalition...sorry, an uneasy alliance between two similar but divergent parties. And now Harper has to carefully balance the demands of Ontario Conservatives with those of his core back in Alberta.

... you do live in an interesting land. Your conservatives don't try to unite as an extreme hammer of what they picture justice to be to be while trying to force through philosophically incompatible economic and social policy?

They put on a public face of it, as any party does, but no. There are a lot of internal disagreements. The party is very much fractured into factions. The only reason the party even holds together at all is because Harper rules it with an iron fist.

A lot of the seats they just picked up are mostly in the Greater Toronto Area; seats that are typically Liberal. So there will be a lot of fighting about that. Harper needs those seats to hold his majority, but if he's seen as capitulating to "Toronto elites" by his rural constituents (or vice versa), he'll lose support. Some MPs might even cross the floor and become Liberals, since the "danger" of the NDP isn't an issue.
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 03 May 2011, 07:33

I would just like to point something out:

WHAT THE FUCK?!

HOW DID HE GET A MAJORITY?!?

ARE THE PEOPLE IN MY RIDING SO FREAKING DUMB?!

...This can also be extrapolated for all of Canada, but MY FUCKING RIDING!!!

I'm glad I don't live here most of the year...Who won at my school's riding?

I'ma che-OH FOR FUCKS SAKE?!

Fuck you NDPers. You prevented the liberals from winning there, WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS WORRIED ABOUT. GRAH BRAID IS AN IDIOT!
theDreamer

Postby theDreamer » 03 May 2011, 07:35

...Oh, and this ALSO happened in Aubergine's riding, which is crazy, cuz that was hardcore liberal.
auberginequeen
First Video: Rejected 'Get A Mac' Ads

Postby auberginequeen » 03 May 2011, 08:48

According to my dad, my riding was Liberal for ~44 years prior to this.

Well, so much for that.

I'm disappointed in you, riding.
zfubarz

Postby zfubarz » 03 May 2011, 10:30

How about the fact that fucking bev oda got re elected, that is the most disappointing thing I've heard in this entire election. It's a democratic disgrace.
Metcarfre

Postby Metcarfre » 03 May 2011, 10:32

For serious?

Cripes.
Matt
LRR Crew

Postby Matt » 03 May 2011, 10:37

Democratic Disgrace is a good term to encapsulate my feelings on these results.

-m

I am not angry at you.
sdhonda

Postby sdhonda » 03 May 2011, 10:39

Bev Oda, or the just the results in general?

Return to “General Discussion”