Any Bronies up in here?

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go

Best Pony

Twilight Sparkle
17%
Rarity
5%
Applejack
5%
Pinkie Pie
13%
Rainbow Dash
18%
Fluttershy
23%
Derpy Hooves
7%
Dr. Whooves/My Little Timelord
7%
Zecora
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 149
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Re: Any Bronies up in here?

Postby TheRocket » 02 May 2011, 16:39

D'awww! I like Mrs Wraith.. I'll go with Summer Song ;) Thanks! It's still acting up on my end though, maybe I will try a different browser.
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
falconknight06
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby falconknight06 » 03 May 2011, 19:33

Male-Mischief
Female-Milkshake
falconknight06-Klondike

I like Klondike!
Actually 3 falcons in a trench coat
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 03 May 2011, 23:15

Alja = Snowball
Alja-Markir = Baldrick
無無無無無無無 = Scoundrel

First one was like, ehh. Second one was a hearty "YES!" and the third on was a "FRIGGEN' SWEET!" moment.

~Alja~
Mister Fiend
First Video: Three PS3's

Postby Mister Fiend » 04 May 2011, 06:14

TheRocketSiobhan wrote:D'awww! I like Mrs Wraith.. I'll go with Summer Song ;) Thanks! It's still acting up on my end though, maybe I will try a different browser.

More like "Mr. Rocket", amirite?

Mister Fiend
Male:Twister
Female:Stardancer
Undecided:Loser

...harsh, dude. I thought Friendship Was Magic, bro!
metcarfre wrote:Fiend holding a Stampede while smoking a cigar just changed my life.

TACOS!
TheRocket
First Video: Those Games That We Played

Postby TheRocket » 04 May 2011, 06:20

Don't worry, everyone gets Loser if you put undecided :P Don't judge me, bro!
Walk in like DeNiro, and leave like Brando.

You're living proof that Darwin was a moron.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 06 May 2011, 01:58

~Alja~
Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 06 May 2011, 07:03

Did you just empty Matt's pony image macro folder?

(Not that I object, mind you.)
Yoshi_Gal
First Video: Unskippable 01. On The Escapist.

Postby Yoshi_Gal » 06 May 2011, 07:14

I don't have a lot of friends, just my fans. And they are all I need.
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Postby nonjabiru » 06 May 2011, 08:31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKs-MHFi ... re=related

This one is for Matt. And I guess anybody else that plays/played WoW.
DissonantNight
First Video: Unskippable: Lost Planet

Postby DissonantNight » 06 May 2011, 14:14

Finals were probably not the best time for me to get addicted to this show. Oh well the damage is done.
tak197
Feito Com Fruta
First Video: How To Talk Like A Pirate

Postby tak197 » 06 May 2011, 17:17

the amativeness
Location: America, where everyone sues everyone, always, for everything.

Postby the amativeness » 06 May 2011, 18:44

I'll just leave this here:

zA: How do I relax?
Evil Jim: Jerk off.
Frozengale: You know you're on the internet when Masturbation is the first suggestion.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 07 May 2011, 15:18

Pony Time With Alja

So, caught up on quite a few episodes. Here's some of my thoughts, in no particular order.

A Dog And Pony Show - Okay, so the premise itself isn't all that bad when you read it in the episode description. Mysterious gem-crazed antagonists that live underground is kind of interesting on it's own, but I was just so bummed out that they called these guys the Diamond Dogs and then completely failed to make them Bowie-esque Glam. Maybe I set my hopes a tad too high?

Anywho, the morale kinda left me scratching my head. Rarity is her usual prissy self, and she basically "outsmarts" her captors by complaining and whining at them, which is then lauded as "lady-like". If anything, all this shows us is that the Big Bads weren't all that big or bad. They're just ugly, derpy, greedy idiots who happily abduct ponies, but then won't cross the line of actually being in any way harsh - or heck, just plain mean - to them.

Feeling Pinkie Keen - I can totally see the controversy on this one, and we've gone over it at length, so I'll be brief. I personally found it not terribly problematic. I honestly don't think it dismisses scientific thought. There is clearly some form of clairvoyance at work. Yes, it's not understood at all, but it's clearly happening. Twilight doesn't figure it out, but she at least respects it for what it is. I found the message to be less about Twilight trusting in hocus pocus and more about trusting in Pinkie herself.

Suited For Success - Hoo, boy. Where do I start on this one? So they call the guy Hoity Toity, and we're not supposed to hate his guts? He's a snoot and a dipshit. Yet everyone defers to him like he's the second coming or something.

So Rarity bites off more than she can chew and insists on making dresses for the girls, specifically for the gala. But her designs don't please her friends. So she remakes them, but isn't happy with them despite their being exactly what her friends want. Which would ordinarily be fine, they can wear what they like to the dance, right? And Rarity offered to make them dresses, right?

But no, they have to have the stupid fashion show, because who cares what you think about yourself or how you look, all that really matters is what other people think, right? So of course, people are like "OMG, so not fashionable!" and the girls are crushed. Screw self expression, they should conform! But then, oh! The day is saved when Rarity shows off her earlier designs, which aren't what the girls wanted but which are much more conformist! Hooray! Giving in to the whims of others is magic!

~Alja~
Wolfenbarg
First Video: The Job

Postby Wolfenbarg » 07 May 2011, 16:14

You're missing the point of Suited for Success. The idea wasn't that they needed to conform to make other people happy, the idea was that she made those dresses for them as a favor and wanted to show off her designs when the good ones were finished. They took her favors for granted and started making demands, and completely missed the point of the exercise in the first place. The idea wasn't individuality, but about how to take favors and understand your friends' own interests. If you look out for your own selfish interests in every thing, you'll end up disappointing your friends or making them look like fools.

I really don't see how you got the conformist message from this. They made it very obvious that Rarity was doing them a huge favor, and they went overboard with it.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 07 May 2011, 16:40

If the message is supposed to be about being gracious about favors among friends, it shouldn't have made that point through public shame and social ostracization. Rarity literally says that her career is over because of the unpopular dresses.

If they had instead had Rarity suffer a nervous breakdown from overworking, or get depressed and contemplate giving up sewing because she was beginning to hate it, or something like that, then that would be much better suited to the idea of "how to take favors and understand your friends' own interests", as you say.

Now, I admit, I'm biased. I hate fashion, spectacle, and all that ridiculous societal expectations nonsense. So that colors how I see things. Heck, it might even explain why I prefered the "outlandish" designs of the later dressed the girls were happy with. I thought they looked awesome, particularly because they were so different and unique to each pony.

I was just expecting the whole situation to be resolved in a different way, I guess, with Rarity speaking out for herself and voicing her personal conflictions over the matter rather than having all of Ponyville mock the girls publicly at what is meant to be a for-fun sort of event.

~Alja~
JustAName
First Video: Rapidfire I
Location: The Land of Unbearably Fashionable People and Lots of Cars

Postby JustAName » 07 May 2011, 16:58

I introduced a friend to the series on Thursday. Today he shared this with me: http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/What_if_the_main_cast_of_characters_were_human%3F Pretty excellent.
Alja-Markir wrote:Andy is the LRR Heart-throb.
Morgan is the LRR Crotch-throb.

And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it's a great escape.

thatlaurachick
First Video: Unskippable: Devil May Cry

Postby thatlaurachick » 07 May 2011, 17:37

Fayili wrote:I introduced a friend to the series on Thursday. Today he shared this with me: http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/What_if_the_main_cast_of_characters_were_human%3F Pretty excellent.

Normally don't like fan art, but that's excellent. *CUPCAKE*
I want a Pinkie launcher.
goat

Postby goat » 07 May 2011, 17:49

That is probably the best/least creepy version of that I've seen.

Also, NO CUPCAKES.
Follow a derelict account:

http://www.twitter.com/goat1
Wolfenbarg

Postby Wolfenbarg » 07 May 2011, 19:08

Alja-Markir wrote:If the message is supposed to be about being gracious about favors among friends, it shouldn't have made that point through public shame and social ostracization. Rarity literally says that her career is over because of the unpopular dresses.

If they had instead had Rarity suffer a nervous breakdown from overworking, or get depressed and contemplate giving up sewing because she was beginning to hate it, or something like that, then that would be much better suited to the idea of "how to take favors and understand your friends' own interests", as you say.

Now, I admit, I'm biased. I hate fashion, spectacle, and all that ridiculous societal expectations nonsense. So that colors how I see things. Heck, it might even explain why I prefered the "outlandish" designs of the later dressed the girls were happy with. I thought they looked awesome, particularly because they were so different and unique to each pony.

I was just expecting the whole situation to be resolved in a different way, I guess, with Rarity speaking out for herself and voicing her personal conflictions over the matter rather than having all of Ponyville mock the girls publicly at what is meant to be a for-fun sort of event.

~Alja~

The other point wasn't about understand her, but rather understanding her interests. They didn't realize until way too late that getting exactly what they wanted ended up with an absolutely horrific result. Let me use an example in film to demonstrate the idea in a more relatable way:

Imagine the relationship between actors and directors. Once, noticing my interest in such arts, my friend asked me to help him make a movie for his girlfriend's anniversary. I had no issue with that, but then it doubled up when he started liking the concept and wanted to put it up on youtube. Well my friend was a good sport and gave me free reign to put this thing together, but imagine if he hadn't and instead took creative control himself. It removes the need for my talents, and it means I am pretty much obligated to submit subpar crap to the world. For the ponies, doing exactly what they wanted to do resulted in the final product being absolute garbage. The second that the styles were going to be displayed at a fashion show, the entire scenario changed. As her friends, they should have understood they didn't know the details of the realm she was working in, and that they potentially just destroyed her reputation.

The point wasn't about the public displays, it was about them being bad friends with no sense of empathy. There is a very valuable and mature lesson there, since we all are going to end up in the professional world eventually. Not even attempting to understand the stress of your peers puts you in violation of Wil Wheaton's law.

EDIT: On a less debatey note, I made this recently.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 07 May 2011, 20:15

Except that Rarity was the one who wanted to make the dresses. Twilight comes in to get her dress mended. Rarity is aghast - NOT ENOUGH FASHION. She insists on making Twilight an entirely new dress. Twilight tries to talk her out of it. No dice.

Then Rarity sticks her nose in Applejack's business. Insists on making her a gown. Can't let the folksy farm gal go to the dance in anything but formal wear - people might think she was a folksy farm gal! Applejack tries to talk her out of it. Rarity offers a compromise, which Applejack accepts reluctantly.

Dash crashes in. Entirely accidental. Rarity insists on making her a gown. Dash wasn't even GOING to the gala, as evidenced by her asking "Outfit for the what-now?". But Rarity just goes off even more, already planning to make a dress for dash and for Fluttershy and Pinkie who aren't even there.

And then Rarity comes up with the idea for the fashion show. Twilight expresses concern for the amount of work, but says it would be fun. Applejack is still a little skeptical. "So all you have to do is make a different, stunning, original, amazing outfit for - one, two, three, four, five, plus yourself - SIX ponies? And lickety split?" Rarity laughs conceitedly at her, and says "You make it sound as if it's going to be hard!"

So the dresses are made and the girls see them. They admit, the dresses are nice. They're just... not what the girls wanted. But Rainbow Dash makes a good point when the others glare at her for being frank about the dresses - "She asked", she quips.

Here's my big point. Twilight says "I guess what we're all saying is they're just not what we had in mind." The girls were all perfectly happy going to the gala without these dresses. Twilight was going in her own dress. Applejack was going in her ordinary garb. Dash wasn't even going. They were all happy with their own situations.

But Rarity insisted on having her way, even when it wasn't what the girls wanted. And now, not having gotten the reaction of awe and gratitude she was clearly fishing for, Rarity calls sour grapes. "That's okay. There's plenty more where that came from. They were only a first pass." Insisting on making her friends entirely satisfied, Rarity announces she's going to redo them entirely. Fluttershy and Applejack both express reservations - they think she's going overboard. Rarity, again, insists.

I guess I just don't have much sympathy for Rarity. Her own showboating, pickiness, stubbornness, and unwillingness to leave well enough alone got her into the entire mess. It's entirely her own fault.

So then Rarity hates the dresses, but the girls are astounded by them. They're utterly perfect. And that should be the end of it - all that's left is for the girls to go to the gala and enjoy themselves.

Except then Hoity Toity shows up uninvited, and Rarity flips out. She doesn't like the dresses, and she knows that the fashion world will disapprove of them as well. But with the girls loving their new dresses so much, what can she possibly do?

Well, let me tell you. The logical thing to do would be to hold the fashion show... but using the fashionable dresses. Rarity could explain to the girls that while she was glad to make them each their own personal outfits, she is afraid that such uniquely personalized outfits, while fun and made with love, aren't going to look good to a professional fashionista, and could they please do the show with the more fashionable designs? After all, with Hoity Toity coming, she has to think about her reputation and her business.

The girls would understand - after all, they just got these great dresses for free, and helping Rarity in return is just the right thing to do. Moreover, it's not their reputations on the line, it's Rarity's. So they would do the fashion show in the dresses Rarity prefers, and then they could all go to the gala in their own particular dresses.

I don't buy your argument that the girls were bad friends with no sense of empathy. They repeatedly expressed concern about Rarity doing all this. They repeatedly tried to tell her it was fine not to, that she was going overboard, but Rarity insisted and insisted. And in the end she got what she deserved.

Now, there are a few saving graces. The girls, realizing Rarity is devastated by Hoity Toity's jerkassery, do two big things to make it all up to Rarity. 1) They throw a second fashion show with the designs Rarity prefered and 2) they all came together to finish the dress Rarity had been workin on for herself. And I admit, if Rarity had never been embarassed by the first fashion show, these acts of solidarity and friendship wouldn't have been possible.

~Alja~
Tycherin
First Video: The Lich King's New Wrath

Postby Tycherin » 07 May 2011, 20:50

Alja, let me start off by saying that you make some salient points here, and I think some of this is heavily based on interpretation. I do want to throw my two cents in, though.

First, just to clarify, Rainbow is definitely going to the gala- the whole gang got tickets at the end of whatever episode that was. She is confused at first probably just because she hasn't been thinking about it lately, which makes sense for her character.

Anyway, that's an aside, since your argument is really about how it was Rarity's idea, not theirs. I read this whole bit differently, myself. I looked at it like this: what does Rarity do? She makes dresses. She knows fashion. That's her job, her passion, her life's work. She considers these other ponies to be her closest friends, and she wants to do nice things for them. What can she do? Well, she could mow their lawns or something, but that wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. No, she's going to make them dresses. It's her gift to them, her way of saying "I care about you as a close friend." If she were a painter, she might paint their portraits. If she were a plumber (there's a weird thought), she would fix their leaky faucets. It's like getting free food from your best friend's restaurant.

When they didn't like the first round of dresses, it gets more complicated. At that point, Rarity feels like she's failed professionally, and needs to work harder and do better to repair her reputation. Additionally, she feels like she's failed as a friend- that since they rejected her dresses, they're rejecting her to some degree. She feels the need to make amends and make them proud and whatnot. This whole debacle was her way of showing her friendship with the others (which is, of course, magic).

That was my interpretation, and forgive me if it's a little psychoanalytical. I think your interpretation is valid too, and I would definitely agree that Hoity Toity is a kind of fashion bully who deserves to be smacked repeatedly with a rolled-up newspaper. I think Rarity's real mistake in this episode was worrying about what that moron thought. But I digress.
Wolfenbarg

Postby Wolfenbarg » 07 May 2011, 22:00

Alja, you just described a flawed character. Every show has them, it's what breeds conflict and makes television interesting. Of course Rarity was overworking herself and doing this for the wrong reasons, but that just gives each episode the opportunity to speak more than one specific message. This tackles overworking yourself, impressing people who really don't actually matter, and having some level of empathy for your friends professions. The reason I'm sticking to that last one is because despite their earlier concern, they are still letting Rarity put herself through stressful work with sleepless nights.

I watched the episode again to see if I might be remembering it incorrectly. While I do sort of see where you're coming from, this was still a huge favor that was being done for them, they shouldn't have let it get so out of hand.
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 07 May 2011, 22:34

Fair enough. Although, I maintain that Rarity shouldn't have let it get out of hand. I admit the girls could have put their hooves down more forcefully and stopped her, but ultimately they aren't nearly as responsible for her bull-headedness as she is.

Although I bet we can both agreed that Hoity Toity needs a kick to the face.

~Alja~
Trymantha
First Video: Watchmen Watching

Postby Trymantha » 07 May 2011, 23:37

Fayili wrote:I introduced a friend to the series on Thursday. Today he shared this with me: http://mlpfanart.wikia.com/wiki/What_if_the_main_cast_of_characters_were_human%3F Pretty excellent.

that really... well that doesnt help
Ok, for the record im a Guy

||tumblr||twitter||
Alja-Markir
Trebuchet Enthusiast

Postby Alja-Markir » 08 May 2011, 03:18

*snerk!*

~Alja~

Return to “General Discussion”