Episode 6 - E3 Roundup

Talk about LRR's gaming news show on PATV.
Matt
LRR Crew

Episode 6 - E3 Roundup

Postby Matt » 13 Jun 2011, 09:57

The Checkpoint crew walks you through all of E3's big announcements.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/checkpoint/106/

-m

I am not angry at you.
Vigafre
First Video: Halo: The Future of Gaming

Re: Episode 6 - E3 Roundup

Postby Vigafre » 13 Jun 2011, 10:10

I laughed at the Wyy callback.
AmzRigh
First Video: Reduce Your Footprint

Postby AmzRigh » 13 Jun 2011, 11:29

Not directly related to the video itself, but for a little while -- I assume during the update attempt -- the Checkpoint panel on the front page was a placeholder image dated January 1, 1970. This amused me more than it probably should have.

E3's really gotten less and less impressive...I mean, the Wii-U is kind of a neat concept, but really, it was a lot of ho-hum otherwise. I remember when I looked forward to E3. What happened? :(
Caveant Mundi game studio
Throne of Games & Thursday Throne, streaming live Thursdays & Saturdays at 9pm ET

Yaxley
First Video: Lock Out

Postby Yaxley » 13 Jun 2011, 11:48

That was a good call, so you deserve these.

General Michi
First Video: 3 PS3s

Postby General Michi » 13 Jun 2011, 11:54

I loved the WYY callback.

For those who didn't watch the E3 streams you are lucky to have missed Mr. Cocaine's presentation, Checkpoint didn't even show half of the stuff that made me cringe.
We put the brick on the accelerator.

Image Image

Twitter Steam Tumblblar
ecocd
First Video: Desert Bus 2

Postby ecocd » 13 Jun 2011, 11:56

AmzRigh wrote:Not directly related to the video itself, but for a little while -- I assume during the update attempt -- the Checkpoint panel on the front page was a placeholder image dated January 1, 1970. This amused me more than it probably should have.

E3's really gotten less and less impressive...I mean, the Wii-U is kind of a neat concept, but really, it was a lot of ho-hum otherwise. I remember when I looked forward to E3. What happened? :(

Depending upon how old you were when you started following E3, you may have had console wars and new hot franchises to look forward to each year. Now we're going through the doldrums where everyone is so reticent to make anything new that we're getting the same video games each year. Sony and Microsoft have happily concluded that their little oligopoly means they don't have to release a new gaming system despite the smartphone industry quickly approaching their graphical power.

This E3 was especially uninspiring, though. So much so that even LRR had trouble coming up with anything particularly satirical to say on it. Not the strongest Checkpoint, but there was precious little to work with.
ecocd - echo-see-dee (We apologize for the inconvenience)
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 13 Jun 2011, 12:34

It was a bit of a struggle to have such a weak E3. The problem was that there was practically no other news announced because it was E3 week... It was a bit of a double whammy.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
andy25100
First Video: can't remember

Postby andy25100 » 13 Jun 2011, 12:48

has every developer just decided to get a thesaurus to name their products what's wrong with simple number's as though vita may mean something i don't know what it is or care slightly as i don't pick what i buy because it sounds interesting
Is feeling terribly happy, in england
JackSlack
First Video: ENN, but I forget which.

Postby JackSlack » 13 Jun 2011, 13:39

Yeah, I'm glad others pointed out that it was a weak set of news to play with. Frankly, you should just have run Mr. Caffeine for the whole show because OH MY GOD. Seriously? Seriously?

I was seriously cracking up because of him. Great lead in with it as well. "Oh, that would be this guy."
Littleman 64
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Littleman 64 » 13 Jun 2011, 13:56

I lost my shit when you announced the loser of e3. I couldn't watch the conference because of "Mr. Caffeine."

Also I hope you make "The Producer" a character that shows up (if you can use the term "show up") from time to time. Nothing like an overlooming faceless chracter to work off of.
Gap Filler
First Video: The Job

Postby Gap Filler » 13 Jun 2011, 14:52

Ack. It was kind of depressing being reminded of just how mediocre this year's E3 has been. Still, elephants on the loose. Maybe it would have been too easy but I figured this would've been a great place for a round table dissection of all the low lights; possibly with Paul and a couple of ENN old hands joining Jer for a bit of thrust and parry.
"In the neighbourhood of infinity; it was the time of the giant moths..."
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Postby theDreamer » 13 Jun 2011, 15:12

Littleman 64 wrote:I lost my shit when you announced the loser of e3. I couldn't watch the conference because of "Mr. Caffeine."

Also I hope you make "The Producer" a character that shows up (if you can use the term "show up") from time to time. Nothing like an overlooming faceless chracter to work off of.

I like how Graham Stark is the producer (along with paul), so either Graham called Graham an idiot, or Paul did, and I find both possibilities amusing.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
Graham
Super Moderator

Postby Graham » 13 Jun 2011, 15:29

And Jer handed me the note!
So, only Kathleen has plausible deniability. And maybe not even, she's wily.
Wolfenbarg
First Video: The Job

Postby Wolfenbarg » 13 Jun 2011, 15:45

E3 is back! Gamers and the press have been reunited in an event that scholars will recall with giddyness and joy. Or they would if E3 wasn't a steaming pile of crap this year. I seriously don't get it. This was the year they needed to bring it, and instead it was even more bland than last year. For shame.

Good episode though. I can't believe the Mr. Caffeine guy was real.
ecks
First Video: The one where I can't remember

Postby ecks » 13 Jun 2011, 17:01

theDreamer wrote:I like how Graham Stark is the producer (along with paul), so either Graham called Graham an idiot, or Paul did, and I find both possibilities amusing.

Well one of them wasn't allowed to appear in this episode...

It wasn't a problem or anything, but I have to ask for my own curiosity: Was there some reason I missed why Jer was standing kinda sideways for his bit? Just looked a bit akward, but no big deal. Enjoyed the episode as usual - now to be bored until wednesday.
semysane
First Video: Unskippable: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby semysane » 13 Jun 2011, 17:27

E3 wasn't that bad at all! I mean, we got a new console, a new handheld and dozens of awesome looking games. I really don't know what they could have done other than giving each and every attendee a handjob.
Gap Filler wrote:a couple of ENN old hands joining Jer for a bit of thrust and parry.

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
Littleman 64
First Video: Rejected WiiPlay Games

Postby Littleman 64 » 13 Jun 2011, 19:16

semysane wrote:E3 wasn't that bad at all! I mean, we got a new console, a new handheld and dozens of awesome looking games. I really don't know what they could have done other than giving each and every attendee a handjob.

I fully agree. Nintendo's new console automatically made it a great E3. (But thats just me) Finally seeing what the PS Vita can do was also great ontop of all the games that were shown off that I didn't even think I was interested in.
DarkMorford
First Video: Desert Bus 3

Postby DarkMorford » 14 Jun 2011, 03:32

ecks wrote:It wasn't a problem or anything, but I have to ask for my own curiosity: Was there some reason I missed why Jer was standing kinda sideways for his bit? Just looked a bit akward, but no big deal. Enjoyed the episode as usual - now to be bored until wednesday.

I assumed it was to put a lid on all the "Why doesn't that guy look at the camera?" comments. If Jer isn't standing straight-on to the camera, it might make it harder for people to notice.
http://www.twitter.com/DarkMorford

Vanilla Minecraft Server (1.11.2): minecraft.darkmorford.net
Modded Minecraft Server (DW20 1.10.2): ftb.lrrcraft.com
The Architect
First Video: Unskippable

Postby The Architect » 14 Jun 2011, 05:33

I noticed a distinct lack of top hats on your Elegant Elephants. I fear the opening bit was misleading.
Digital Dolphin
First Video: Canada Man

Postby Digital Dolphin » 14 Jun 2011, 08:24

Watched this ep with a bunch of friends after the hockey game. Have to say, it made things a lot better in the world.

Great job guys, this is easily some of your best work (the show overall).
#TeamKroze
Valliac
First Video: Unskippable - Lost Planet

Postby Valliac » 14 Jun 2011, 14:54

The Splinter Cell bit had be rolling. Mainly for the mental image of Graham attempting that pose and failing.
"Also known as a 'Trigger-operated EVERYONE deterrent'."
Streaming at: http://www.twitch.tv/Valliac

semysane

Postby semysane » 14 Jun 2011, 15:21

Kaiserin
First Video: ENN

Postby Kaiserin » 15 Jun 2011, 18:29

It is the little things like the look Graham gives off camera that sets the LRR crew head and shoulders above other internet comedy.
semysane

Postby semysane » 16 Jun 2011, 14:01

Thread on the PA forums, if you're interested: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=143326
Geoff_B
First Video: Installation Anxiety

Postby Geoff_B » 19 Jun 2011, 13:36

Best parts: "That? I can't do that!" and the bit about the WiiU controller looking like an ipad. I say they should just integrate the 3DS via WiFi and have done with it.
Twitter|Google+|Tumblr|Facebook|Steam|Skype: gmbridges

I survived spaMEGAdon and all I got was this lousy signature joke.

#TeamMonica, #TeamMaki, #TeamTavis

Return to “Checkpoint”