In the news today...

Drop by and talk about anything you want. This is where all cheese-related discussions should go
Stuey
First Video: I am not American

In the news today...

Postby Stuey » 14 Jun 2011, 09:04

For those of you who follow [those hackers] on Twitter, you probably already know what's going on but for those who don't, they've targeted the Escapist and taken the site down.

(note, I'm removing the term L-u-l-z-s-e-c from the thread to keep this on a lower profile without shutting down discussion - Kathleen)
Matt
LRR Crew

Re: [those hackers] and the Escapist

Postby Matt » 14 Jun 2011, 09:07

Yeah, I saw this on twitter. Bit of a weird choice of target in my opinion. :\

-m

I am not angry at you.
Metcarfre
First Video: Not Applicable

Postby Metcarfre » 14 Jun 2011, 09:10

WTF?
Kathleen
LRR Crew
First Video: Season 1 Halloween Special

Postby Kathleen » 14 Jun 2011, 09:13

Well, as long as we don't feed the trolls, the trolls won't come near us.
HOLY SHIT GUYS! BEARS!
aeric90
First Video: How to Talk Like a Pirate

Postby aeric90 » 14 Jun 2011, 09:14

Seriously... why would you do something like that. This whole hacking thing is getting out of hand.
Join The War Against Pants
http://twitter.com/aeric90
Ollie, don'tcha know!
First Video: Bagel Time

Postby Ollie, don'tcha know! » 14 Jun 2011, 09:19

'Hey guys, you know that website that hosts intelligent shows and articles about gaming culture, and strives to provide a voice and positive image for gaming and, in some cases, hacking culture? Yeah, let's shut them down'
I think this place is full of spies. I think they're onto me.
Zombaholic
First Video: Bioshocked

Kitties!

Postby Zombaholic » 14 Jun 2011, 09:19

aeric90 wrote:Seriously... why would you do something like that.

For fame, and hilarity it would seem. Just check out the replies to some of the things they do. People are loving this
Last edited by Zombaholic on 14 Jun 2011, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Ask me anything about Reboot!
Don't ask me anything about reboot
Stuey

Kitties!

Postby Stuey » 14 Jun 2011, 09:19

I didn't really care about them before, but now they've hit one of my favorite websites. Damn them. Not that I can really do anything about it.
MatParker116
First Video: Unskippable

Kitties! Kitties! Kitties!

Postby MatParker116 » 14 Jun 2011, 09:19

wiped out the login server for eve online and the website as well
Last edited by MatParker116 on 14 Jun 2011, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
XelaReko
First Video: Installation Anxiety 2007

Meow!

Postby XelaReko » 14 Jun 2011, 09:22

The poor people that have to system admin the big E are going to have a bad lunch break...
"Play Minecraft, watch top gear, get pig." Words to live by.
theDreamer
First Video: Quantum Documentary

Meow!

Postby theDreamer » 14 Jun 2011, 09:24

Remember why Anon stopped targeting Sony? This is worse.
I can put my hands in my head, and I can laugh it in the face.
therockdemon
First Video: just drive

Meow!Meow!Meow!

Postby therockdemon » 14 Jun 2011, 09:28

i can't wait till they get raped in prison for all this hacking i bet they won't find it funny then
Last night I was in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.
nonjabiru
First Video: A Stich in Time

Meow!

Postby nonjabiru » 14 Jun 2011, 09:35

I've been wondering what's going on with them today. Any reason for the attacks or should I just assume they're fed up with Jimquisition?
Matt
LRR Crew

Puppies!!

Postby Matt » 14 Jun 2011, 09:47

For the record, I'm betting it was the same kind of vitrolic hatred of [those hackers] as above from the escapist users that triggered this attack.

The escapist itself had been covering the attacks in a pretty even-handed way, so they weren't poking the bear.

However, the /response/ to the news stories regarding [those hackers] was VERY negative. Uneccessarily so.

The fact is, [those hackers] are clearly acting with a purpose, and that purpose is not personal gain. They aren't being particularly malicious, even. They're out causing trouble - but they're not doing it for their own good.

They're serving to identify some significant weaknesses in internet security infrastructure, and that's a good thing. Certainly, it's a hell of a lot better to have a series of major network outages caused by a bunch of people just trying to stir up trouble than by a hacker collective out to steal credit card info for the purposes of massive and widespread fraud.

[Those hackers] aren't our friends, but they're definitely preferable to the alternatives.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Zombaholic

Meow!

Postby Zombaholic » 14 Jun 2011, 09:50

I'll have to disagree, there's better ways this can be handled. The fact they're taking requests on which websites to take down is hardly purposeful. I honestly think these are some collage kids on summer break that know how to preform DDoS attacks, and able to rip info from the sites they break.
Matt
LRR Crew

Meow! Meow! Meow!

Postby Matt » 14 Jun 2011, 09:52

The "purpose" I was referring to was "causing trouble".

They aren't doing it for financial gain, was my point. They're stealing info to prove they can, not to make money off it.

-m

I am not angry at you.
psychopez
First Video: Crime and Punishment

Re: Meow! and the Escapist

Postby psychopez » 14 Jun 2011, 09:55

Yeah, but what's going to motivate the decision makers to get serious about infrastructure?

Bad PR. If any good can come from this, it's that decision making people start realizing a few things about security. Not sure it'll happen, but one can hope.

As it is, the company I work for makes educational software, so I'm kind of nervous that a kid who did bad in a class that used our product is going to put us on the target list next.
Last edited by psychopez on 14 Jun 2011, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
@mhasko
Stuey

Re: Annika and the Escapist

Postby Stuey » 14 Jun 2011, 09:57

http://twitter.com/#!/LulzSec/status/80652667730403328

Yeah, Matt, you're exactly right. People being dicks on The Escapist set them off there.

As for your other point, I really don't know, they seem to just be having fun. I don't think they're taking what they're doing seriously at all.
Last edited by Stuey on 14 Jun 2011, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.
sdhonda
First Video: Fun With Microwaves

Re: Khaavren and the Escapist

Postby sdhonda » 14 Jun 2011, 09:58

Matt wrote:For the record, I'm betting it was the same kind of vitrolic hatred of [those hackers] as above from the escapist users that triggered this attack.

The escapist itself had been covering the attacks in a pretty even-handed way, so they weren't poking the bear.

However, the /response/ to the news stories regarding [those hackers] was VERY negative. Uneccessarily so.

The fact is, [those hackers] are clearly acting with a purpose, and that purpose is not personal gain. They aren't being particularly malicious, even. They're out causing trouble - but they're not doing it for their own good.

They're serving to identify some significant weaknesses in internet security infrastructure, and that's a good thing. Certainly, it's a hell of a lot better to have a series of major network outages caused by a bunch of people just trying to stir up trouble than by a hacker collective out to steal credit card info for the purposes of massive and widespread fraud.

[Those hackers] aren't our friends, but they're definitely preferable to the alternatives..

-m

So Matt, if I were to say, smash your car windshield, I'm sure you would be perfectly fine with that. Afterall, I'd make no personal gain from it. I'd just be doing it because I felt you were a dick.

In fact, you, and society, should have been glad that I'd smashed it. It would reveal a glaring weakness in the security system of the cars parked out on the road. That would be a much better alternative than some hooligans going about, smashing windows and stealing money from cars.
Lyinginbedmon
First Video: BioShocked

Postby Lyinginbedmon » 14 Jun 2011, 09:58

It sort of seems like the hacker community lately has realised the sort of power they actually wield and are going a tad crazy with it, like when a caveman first realises they can make fire.
Morgan wrote:Lyinginbedmon is short, but he makes up for it in awesomeness
Matt
LRR Crew

I love puppies!

Postby Matt » 14 Jun 2011, 09:59

There is literally no purpose served by being angry with them. All it does is fuel their motivation.

-m

I am not angry at you.
kodra
First Video: Unskippable - Eternal Sonata

Postby kodra » 14 Jun 2011, 09:59

See, I can understand your point Matt except they weren't exposing the type of weakness that leads to information security breaches. That would've been some form of rooting the servers and getting to the databases.

It's like a couple of thieves showed up, found a safe, couldn't break it open, beat on it with some sledgehammers, still couldn't get it open, so they trashed the store because they were pissy.

A friend of mine is a pretty low profile white hat, and has done some neat (and creepy) stuff like login to a poorly secured wireless network, set it to proxy to a site that would redirect her to a website saying "you should work on improving security, here's how to secure your network, and here's how to fix this proxy issue".

Stuff like that always struck me as a better way to use hacking to inform people about network security.
Is a big fan of Panic! at the Disco
Matt
LRR Crew

OMG puppies

Postby Matt » 14 Jun 2011, 10:03

sdhonda wrote:So Matt, if I were to say, smash your car windshield, I'm sure you would be perfectly fine with that. Afterall, I'd make no personal gain from it. I'd just be doing it because I felt you were a dick.

In fact, you, and society, should have been glad that I'd smashed it. It would reveal a glaring weakness in the security system of the cars parked out on the road. That would be a much better alternative than some hooligans going about, smashing windows and stealing money from cars.

What I said was they're not our friends, but they're better than the alternative.

If I have to choose between one or the other, I'd rather you smash my car window, than smash my car window and steal my stereo.

I'd rather have hackers out breaking shit, than breaking shit AND buying new computers with my stolen credit card info. A less malicious attack helps us better prepare for a more serious one.

-m

I am not angry at you.
Matt
LRR Crew

DAWGS

Postby Matt » 14 Jun 2011, 10:06

kodra wrote:Stuff like that always struck me as a better way to use hacking to inform people about network security.

I agree. I didn't mean to imply that [those hackers] were necessarily AIMING to improve security measures, just that the identification of security weaknesses is a convenient side-effect of these intrusions.

For all intents and purposes I think the hacers are simply doing it "because they can"

-m

I am not angry at you.
Zombaholic

DAGS!

Postby Zombaholic » 14 Jun 2011, 10:06

But still this is hardly a good thing in any right. Sure they show there's holes in the system, but at what cost? The long term problems these people are probably inadvertently causing might cost us all one day.

We'll all wear orange jumpsuits and be formed into a line. Being served gruel by our government overlords. Then we sit at our mandatory eating station and talk with pre-approved topics! I DON'T EVEN LIKE GRUEL!

Return to “General Discussion”